Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm only 6'1 and the miata is not comfortable, NA/NB at least. I'd look for something else personally, even though they're fun. I only had to own 3 of them to figure that out. :v:

Cruising my local craigslist, there's tons of mustangs, fieros, 924s, BMWs and British roadsters available for <$5k with a manual trans. Even a mazdaspeed 6 and a couple RX8s (blown engines, :lol:). Out of all that, I'm not sure I'd recommend any of them, but there's tons of options. I'd pick up an MR2 turbo though if it were me.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Larrymer posted:

I'm only 6'1 and the miata is not comfortable, NA/NB at least. I'd look for something else personally, even though they're fun. I only had to own 3 of them to figure that out. :v:

On the flipside I am also 6'1" and fitted in an NB (the supposed 'small' Miata/MX5) perfectly, it was like it was made to fit me and me alone. It was nicely snug like I was properly sat in the car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

it was like it was made to fit me and me alone.

DRR... DRR...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vital Signs posted:

Just edited. Is height going to be an issue? Typical sports car or worse?

Also edited that I would like a manual. These cars are sweet as hell for a cheap V8 though!

Put a manual in the Crown Vic as your first project.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Larrymer posted:

Cruising my local craigslist, there's tons of mustangs, fieros, 924s, BMWs and British roadsters available for <$5k with a manual trans. Even a mazdaspeed 6 and a couple RX8s (blown engines, :lol:). Out of all that, I'm not sure I'd recommend any of them, but there's tons of options. I'd pick up an MR2 turbo though if it were me.

As cool as MR2 Turbos are I don't think a mid engine car is gonna be easy to work on. Miatas are fun but small. I am way to wide to drive one on the regular or it might have been my new daily driver. Instead I bought a CRX Si. I just wish the CRX was RWD.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

On the flipside I am also 6'1" and fitted in an NB (the supposed 'small' Miata/MX5) perfectly, it was like it was made to fit me and me alone. It was nicely snug like I was properly sat in the car.

Ditto. The seats murdered my back but I fit wonderfully in my NA. I chalk that up to my lovely back.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Loanarn posted:

I just wish the CRX was RWD.

You know what you need to do.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm all torso. While sitting in there my head would touch the top if it was up, and with the top down I'd have to look out the roof to see traffic lights even with the visors removed. I always felt like the seats sucked in the early miatas, like you sit on top of them and not down in them. Gotta cut the foam out to make them a little better but even less comfortable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vital Signs posted:

Can you find cheap NCs though? 2005 is venturing out of my 5k or less goal I would think. Most of the Miatas I've seen for a couple grand are 90s.

NA/NBs command better pricing. I've seen a lot of NCs for cheap of late, the ND has hammered the pricing. Hell I got mine out of FL several years ago for several thousand below average because there was a glut of them on the market. It was on average cheaper than final year NBs. NC1s (06-08) can be found for decent prices. Even on a $5K Miata it would be worth it to shop nationwide. Come join us in the Miata thread!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I fit pretty well in my Mustang back in the day... And I'm all torso 6' 2".... but everyone has a Mustang. Can you get early 2000s Mustang GTs under 5k? I can't buy a V6 if the GT is looking at me. I guess maybe the idea is to get something more popular so parts are cheap, and down the line I can make it unique via kits, paint, and wheel choices.

I've been browsing 2005 Miatas and falling in love... You're all bastards for doing this to my tall self.

I'm also not so sure I wanna do a transmission swap at this stage, as I want to start slow. But holy poo poo these cars are so cheap for what you're getting.

Are things like Probes or Fieros just not a good idea? They have a poor image, but I don't know how justified it is. They are certainly cheap.

Edit: BRB going to sit in a Miata.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody should ever buy a V6 Mustang so stick with a GT if that's what you end up in. I know several people who have picked up SN-95 Mustangs in inoperable condition for under $2K and have repaired them for pennies.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Vital Signs posted:

I fit pretty well in my Mustang back in the day... And I'm all torso 6' 2".... but everyone has a Mustang. Can you get early 2000s Mustang GTs under 5k? I can't buy a V6 if the GT is looking at me. I guess maybe the idea is to get something more popular so parts are cheap, and down the line I can make it unique via kits, paint, and wheel choices.

I've been browsing 2005 Miatas and falling in love... You're all bastards for doing this to my tall self.

I'm also not so sure I wanna do a transmission swap at this stage, as I want to start slow. But holy poo poo these cars are so cheap for what you're getting.

Are things like Probes or Fieros just not a good idea? They have a poor image, but I don't know how justified it is. They are certainly cheap.

Edit: BRB going to sit in a Miata.

MR2’s look small but fit big people

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

Are they fairly easy to work on and find parts?

Rhyno posted:

Nobody should ever buy a V6 Mustang so stick with a GT if that's what you end up in. I know several people who have picked up SN-95 Mustangs in inoperable condition for under $2K and have repaired them for pennies.
What kind of repairs?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

SquirrelGrip posted:

My dad and I are both 6' 2" and 200+lbs (Him muscular, me fat) and we drove from Wisconsin to the Florida keys and back in an AW11 MR2. It wasn't even all that tough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vital Signs posted:

What kind of repairs?

One was a fuel pump, another a starter solenoid or a relay. Very cheap and easy stuff but the previous owners couldn't be bothered.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SquirrelGrip posted:

True. My first car was a red AW11 and I was 6'3 200+ at 15. I fit easily and drove the gently caress out of it. Frunk = more leg room.

Also, MR2 is always the answer if you can loving find one.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Vital Signs posted:

parts should be fine, just remember you dont pull the engine out, you lift the car off it and things become easy

if i had to rank them

AW11 - 4age or gze power, spaceship styles, handles nicer than the sw20

SW20 - turbo 2lt, engine was used in wrc and jgtc, most likely to eat you, looks like a japanese ferrari

ZZ30 - "best track day car", no turbo model from factory, can parts bin your way to swapping same engine/box lotus uses

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The AZ-1 hype is absolutely real and it's awesome

Don't get an AW11 get one of these instead!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
There are very few MR2's on the internet right now, and even fewer under 5k. I may be able to snag an 80's MR2 for a couple grand if I'm right place/right time. Miata has a bit more, but they are right on the edge of 5k, and may be better for an 5-10k budget (I am looking at the 2006 model). If I went with the previous gen, it would be easy to do sub 5k, but I am certain I would not fit by the sounds of it. Mustangs are very available and very cheap. I can have a running/drivable GT for 2-3k. The big thing about the MR2 or Miata is that they are Japanese cars, and I've always been a fan of the build/part quality of Japanese cars.

SquirrelGrip posted:

parts should be fine, just remember you dont pull the engine out, you lift the car off it and things become easy

if i had to rank them

AW11 - 4age or gze power, spaceship styles, handles nicer than the sw20

SW20 - turbo 2lt, engine was used in wrc and jgtc, most likely to eat you, looks like a japanese ferrari

ZZ30 - "best track day car", no turbo model from factory, can parts bin your way to swapping same engine/box lotus uses
I'm not a fan of the ZZ30 style, but the AW11 and SW30 are both pretty awesome.

KakerMix posted:

Speaking of hard to find... lol

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 17, 2018

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Vital Signs posted:

I'm not a fan of the ZZ30 style, but the AW11 and SW30 are both pretty awesome.

yeah the mrs requires a lot to get the same kind of feeling as the other two, but easily the nicest to drive fast. even with big power added

i have an sw20 because i like they look and jdm dohc turbo is like crack to me

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

yeah the mrs requires a lot to get the same kind of feeling as the other two, but easily the nicest to drive fast. even with big power added

i have an sw20 because i like they look and jdm dohc turbo is like crack to me

I like this kind of look a lot too. It's similar to my Eagle Talon that I had. My Talon didn't give me too many issues. I think I did on brake job a few times, coil pack/wires/plugs, and maybe one other small repair. So, I don't really have too much experience working on it or buying parts. It does seem like there are a good chunk of Eclipses or Talons out there in my price range, but I'm not sure how easy they are to work on. I also think if this is what I'm going for, I should just spend the little extra and get an MR2. They look so much nicer.

I see the thread point about Mustangs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183328733273?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=183328733273&rmvSB=true

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 17, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I would be cool with a 2011+ V6 (305hp Duratec 37) but I think that's outside the scope of the original question.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Charles posted:

I would be cool with a 2011+ V6 (305hp Duratec 37) but I think that's outside the scope of the original question.
Ya, I was speaking to the mid 90 - mid 2000 version. The 2011 is both not valid to my no V6 logic, and out of my price range like you've already mentioned.

I have a feeling I'm going to window shop for months, and hopefully something just falls into my lap that I cannot pass up.

Another question I have. What are some "must have tools" for a garage when doing a project? I have a tool stack with basics like wrenches, socket set, so on. I also have a crawler, jack stands, and a solid jack. Thoughts on a "project car starter kit" would be great. I can probably pick those out much easier than the car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

I like this kind of look a lot too. It's similar to my Eagle Talon that I had. My Talon didn't give me too many issues. I think I did on brake job a few times, coil pack/wires/plugs, and maybe one other small repair. So, I don't really have too much experience working on it or buying parts. It does seem like there are a good chunk of Eclipses or Talons out there in my price range, but I'm not sure how easy they are to work on. I also think if this is what I'm going for, I should just spend the little extra and get an MR2. They look so much nicer.

Most turbo DSMs (eclipse, talon, laser) have been beaten to death by this point. I'm surprised you got away with as few repairs as you did. I had one for a few years and only drove it about 25k miles and I was doing poo poo to it all the time.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I would love an AZ-1, but if I don’t fit in a miata, I won’t fit in an AZ-1. Of all the tiny cars out there, the aw11 has the most headroom. The T3Tuning seat mount gives me enough room for my head with a helmet on and I’m almost 6’3”.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

TWSS posted:

I would love an AZ-1, but if I don’t fit in a miata, I won’t fit in an AZ-1. Of all the tiny cars out there, the aw11 has the most headroom. The T3Tuning seat mount gives me enough room for my head with a helmet on and I’m almost 6’3”.
MR2's keep sounding better and better. I think I'm more partial to the SW20, but I doubt I'll find one for 5k or less. I've read online the SW20 is okay for taller people as well.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

My C5 is going to need tires soon. It comes factory with Goodyear F1 GS EMT 275/40R18 in the back. Since they're about $350 each, I've kicked around getting Continentals, but since Corvettes have no spare, I'm hesitant to not get the run flats.

I went with Nitto NT05 on my C5 Z06. Not a lot of options in OE size. Absolutely transformed the car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Most turbo DSMs (eclipse, talon, laser) have been beaten to death by this point. I'm surprised you got away with as few repairs as you did. I had one for a few years and only drove it about 25k miles and I was doing poo poo to it all the time.

Yeah, keep in mind that a DSM is a turbo sports car. They're perfectly reliable,... IF YOU DO THE MAINTENANCE. They've gone through at least two or three cycles of dipshit kids that don't do maintenance, so you'll have to play catch-up unless you get an example from an actual enthusiast.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Vital Signs posted:

MR2's keep sounding better and better. I think I'm more partial to the SW20, but I doubt I'll find one for 5k or less. I've read online the SW20 is okay for taller people as well.

It is. I drove a few thinking about picking one up a few years back and I still had plenty of head room. They'd been beaten to loving death though.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
i hit my head in the 86 sometimes but never in the mr2

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-mazda-rx-7-series-iv/6641752113.html

Oh no this is like 15 minutes away...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Might as well treat that as comes with no wheels and a bad engine.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Ya the wheels are horrible. I think I just need to focus my window shopping on strictly MR2's.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I posted this car here about 10 years ago, but I cleaned it up and did ceramic coating last week so I'm posting it again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

TheGoatTrick posted:

I posted this car here about 10 years ago, but I cleaned it up and did ceramic coating last week so I'm posting it again.

Bravo! I hope to be you in about nine more years with my E90 M3. Eighteen months later and the honeymoon period is definitely not over.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

TheGoatTrick posted:

How much did the coating run you if you don't mind me asking?

My cars a bit smaller than yours and I just started looking into it, but mine's so swirled up I'd need a serious detail; still temping though cause I put a ton of miles on it

Car looks mint! Aged very well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Might as well treat that as comes with no wheels and a bad engine.

Wheels are terrible, but 115K on a non-turbo rotary is fine. My '90 had 225K on it when I sold it, running fine.
You know this diagram?:

The solution is don't put boost in.

edit: You also don't get quite as much fun out, either, but...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My brother had an 89 GXL. Shat its apex seals at 110k. YMMV

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
So, as this will be my first "project car," what sort of repairs should I stay away from to avoid getting in over my head. I'm now looking across the entire country, and there are MR2's out there for 1kish and they need work (obviously). I just want to know what issues are a giant red flag that I should avoid at all costs. Should I avoid something this cheap because of the amount of work it will probably have? I'm very comfortable with bolt on stuff and swapping out various parts (hoses, lines, and such), but I'm worried that if I go this cheap I'll run into engine or transmission problems, and I'm not sure I'm going to have the ability or tools needed to have to do these right out of the gate. Am I better off setting a higher starting point for my buy price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

thechalkoutline posted:

How much did the coating run you if you don't mind me asking?

My cars a bit smaller than yours and I just started looking into it, but mine's so swirled up I'd need a serious detail; still temping though cause I put a ton of miles on it
I did it myself using this. It took about 9 hours to wash, clay, polish (one pass with Meguiar's 105 and an orange pad), and apply two coats of ceramic. In total I used maybe $130 worth of supplies, not including the polisher.

There's a bunch more info in the detailing thread; I went into detail about coating my other car here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=29684#post474020997
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=29684#post479176308