Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s way more immersive than a 3D movie in my mind. It’s not just a projection of the game on a virtual wall, it’s entirely surrounding you from every angle.

Oh yes, I agree. My statement was that with a tilt/rotate only tracking, if you get up or move side to side , the effect it has is similar to a 3d movie when you do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jonathan posted:

Oh yes, I agree. My statement was that with a tilt/rotate only tracking, if you get up or move side to side , the effect it has is similar to a 3d movie when you do the same thing.

I think he’s getting hung up on 3D movie (like stereoscopic, which are also viewable in their somewhat intended function in VR) but you mean 360 movie.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GutBomb posted:

I think he’s getting hung up on 3D movie (like stereoscopic, which are also viewable in their somewhat intended function in VR) but you mean 360 movie.

No I meant 3d movie, like in a theater. If you get up or move your head, the image follows your head, just like the limited tracking on those simpler headsets (and WMR when tracking breaks)

But whatever it's hard to explain without a live demo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GutBomb posted:

No, he's talking about how moving without tracking creates projection issues. Moving around a theater while a 3d movie is playing looks weird because your perspective relative to objects in 3D doesn't change, they're statically projected based on distance/angle to the camera.

Its not really that, though. Its more of an inner-ear thing that just makes you feel ill. You slowly get cold and clammy and feel nauseous.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I used to get it with my Vive, but I’m used to it now. The things that always got me were strafing movements and driving/cockpit games.

It’s definitely just the “my eyes don’t match what my body says it’s doing”. I feel not having that tracking is too big a handicap for extended use. But still, that price.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah i get how the disconnect could bother people, it doesn’t bug me, so I think about it less too

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Finally got my first actual wheel (G29) all plugged in and set up after only simming on a gamepad for months and uhhh first impressions are that I'm insanely slow and I feel like I'm learning how to drive again. It seems like every other time I hit a bump I'm in the wall and it's bizarre having to put in actual physical effort to keep my pretend car on the pretend road. Does anyone have any tips besides just keep racing until it feels natural?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just keep at it is the right answer. Even going from one wheel model to another you will go slower let alone from a controller to a wheel

It took me maybe a week to get back to my old times when I went from a Logitech DFGT to the T300RS

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

Finally got my first actual wheel (G29) all plugged in and set up after only simming on a gamepad for months and uhhh first impressions are that I'm insanely slow and I feel like I'm learning how to drive again. It seems like every other time I hit a bump I'm in the wall and it's bizarre having to put in actual physical effort to keep my pretend car on the pretend road. Does anyone have any tips besides just keep racing until it feels natural?

Do some practice laps. Lap slowwwwwww and try to nail the racing line, and gradually speed up each lap as you learn the limits of the car.

You'll also need to recalibrate your feet to avoid locking up the brakes or spinning out while accelerating. Unless you turn on TC and ABS since it's a pretend car and you can't feel anything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember a discussion however many pages ago about a free alternative to SimVibe. Was I dreaming that? What was it?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I remember a discussion however many pages ago about a free alternative to SimVibe. Was I dreaming that? What was it?

Has anyone ever tried installing the Motion Platform Manager from Next Level Racing without a motion platform attached? Because that fully supports multi-channel tactile feedback via transducers (you can even select wether you want rev limiter transduced via the motion platform or the bass shakers, for example). I guess it refuses to work if no motion platform is attached, but it might be worth a try?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEFMsth2urA

Fanatec DD1 is 999 dollars available for preorder next week. Preorders get upgraded to the DD2 motor. There will also be auctions where you can bid for a DD1 and auctions won't go for over 950 dollars.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Alright PCars 2 goons. It’s time to resume our online racing fuckery.

:siren: Sunday July 29th 4:30 PM Eastern Time :siren:
Fuji Speedway
1959 Aston Martin DBR1/300

BE THERE

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Aw I'll be at my inlaws driving their Model A instead, but I'm in for the following weekend(s)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335wEFBMlb0

(maybe play with the volume turned down though because the music does not own)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Goddamn that game looks fun.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Wreckfest is one of the best racing games in a years. What you cant tell from the video is how good it feels to drive these, although i dont have a wheel to comment on ffb. The ai is good too.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

This owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335wEFBMlb0

(maybe play with the volume turned down though because the music does not own)

So many thumbs up!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

Alright PCars 2 goons. It’s time to resume our online racing fuckery.

:siren: Sunday July 29th 4:30 PM Eastern Time :siren:
Fuji Speedway
1959 Aston Martin DBR1/300

BE THERE

Just a reminder this is happening today. Let’s do this!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Just a reminder this is happening today. Let’s do this!

Looking forward to dying at Dunlop when someone doesn't realize the braking zones are a mile long in the DBR1

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Humble Bundle’s Sports Bundle has F1 2017, Motorsport Manager, DiRT Rally, and Grid 2 (meh) for a low price.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/sports-bundle

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Pretty good deal, although note that Dirt 5 is already out (but no VR support, but if you cared you probably already own dirt rally) and F1 2018 is right around the corner.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I will suck at rally but for $12 for that and an F1 game i can play and suck at .

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dirt Rally is better than Dirt 5 anyway.

I've been really getting into Wreckfest after not touching it for a year or so. The latest QOL updates have made it much more fun to play, and multiplayer has been good, even though there is really only one server in Australia that ever has people on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It is, but 5 isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. Its pretty dang good too.

I can only play those same stages in Rally so many times before I get sick of em.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Oh for sure, its not bad, and was very ambitious. It just never sucked me in the same way Rally did. It sucks that it did so poorly since it probably means they won't be doing another rally game for a while.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Er, you guys are talking about Dirt 4, right? 'Cause I'm pretty sure there's no Dirt 5 yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're living in 2018 while the rest of us are in 3018. Get on our level, because Venture Bros Season 8 just came out here.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So how do I git gud at rally? I really suck and am really slow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Never lift, countersteer a lot, gently caress the boundaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mJmeErUgAU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tater_salad posted:

So how do I git gud at rally? I really suck and am really slow.

Drive better? Lol. Practice, listen to codriver more, idk.

Fwd, rwd or awd?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I just got a T300 and a mount setup this week and have been playing almost exclusively Dirt 4 and Dirt Rally while I get used to using a wheel for the first time, so I’m hardly an authority, but it feel like the maxim “slow is fast” is more true for Rally than anything else. I turned off the little display on the left of the screen that shows your position on track with two arrows that show your pace and the pace of the fastest driver. It was distracting me after two stages. It just made me push too hard and freak out if the AI arrow was closing in on mine. When I play it safe I do a lot better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey Automobilista is having a free weekend on Steam so if you haven't tried it before now's a good chance.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

njsykora posted:

Hey Automobilista is having a free weekend on Steam so if you haven't tried it before now's a good chance.

If you've never tried Stadium Super Trucks, please YouTube them and then download Automobilista.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I can't process the co-driver commands (used to road course racing) for a bunch of turns in advance and died a lot of terrible deaths in Dirt Rally. It's an awesome game and I wish I had more patience to get better at it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a setting to decide when the navigator will tell you the directions. There's so few tracks that it's probably just easier to just memorize them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Could be helpful, could just be dumb. :downs:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I mostly just listen for "intos," crests and 1- and 2-turns, and the rest tend to help me keep track of where I am relative to those. You can clearly see a "Left 6 100," but you might not see "Left 6 100 into right 2". When I hear "x over crest, jump maybe" then I'm looking for a hill, and a 'jump maybe' tells me I can probably take it flat out, but jumping it is going to depend on the run up and sometimes the car itself. If you get "x over crest into y" then you need to slow the run up to the hill to prep for a turn. I think there's a couple where it even tells you "braking crest," where you need to hit the brakes right before the apex of the hill.

"Don't Cut" means exactly what it says -- there's probably something in the shoulder like a rock or log so don't cut too close to the inside of the corner. "Off camber" is warning you that the camber of the road is going to shift the weight of the car the wrong way, so try not to steer too hard into it, maybe lift a little to keep the car balanced. "Deceptive" is another one to pay attention to, because it usually means the track is really flat and you'll miss a corner because of how it's roped off or because there's a weird junction there you can't see until you're in the middle of it.

Setup is also really important in Dirt Rally. The default settings are almost never very competitive or stable. Pay attention to the track layout and the terrain; if you have a lot of corners and hairpins, use a lower gear ratio so you have more torque to punch out of them. If there are only a couple of major turns, gear it up. You can also gear up slightly to help gain some traction on loose surfaces, just don't go too far. Front wheel drive cars tend to do a little better with rear brake bias, so you can sling them around a little better without relying on the handbrake as much.

Also, take care of your car! A healthy car giving up a tenth here and there is still faster than a wounded one giving up whole seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shine posted:

If you've never tried Stadium Super Trucks, please YouTube them and then download Automobilista.

Does automobilista have the ramps and poo poo for stadium super truck races?