Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
They could have put a gun on the shuttle or something. Nothing fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's a question of mass and value. A gun sufficiently large enough to kill the Lotus Fortress is going to be very big, very heavy, and has to be launched from surface to orbit. At the very least it's going to be going up unprotected because there's no way the shuttle would also have the payload space for a decent number of mobile suits.

So now you've launched a single fixed gun against a minefield with homing mines, a squad of highly-customized Mobile Suits, and the Lotus Fortress' own defenses.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Grappler arms

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Grappler arms

Actually come to think of it, the shuttle build opens up a can of worms. The system can apparently recognize unofficial model kits and calculate their abilities, so yeah, really why not? If we're going that far though we may as well just put a bunch of custom built boosters onto one of the more powerful mobile armors and launch that into space.

Then again, why even bother going all the way to space, Dynames had that rifle that can breach the atmosphere so while yes it's not very entertaining to watch a bunch of kids spawn camp the fish empire from the comfort of Earth, I find it hard to believe a team of much cheaper players hadn't already tried it. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The fortress had an extremely large and powerful I-Field generator, which means that pulling a Dynames wouldn't really do a lot. Building a shuttle for suicide ramming also probably wouldn't do a whole lot, because the thing is defended by a giant minefield and some mobile suits and also has a host of defensive weaponry.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 15, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

The fortress had an extremely large and powerful I-Field generator, which means that pulling a Dynames wouldn't really do a lot. Building a shuttle for suicide ramming also probably wouldn't do a whole lot, because the thing is defended by a giant minefield and some mobile suits and also has a host of defensive weaponry.

So you're saying we need a Dynames AND a suicide shuttle?

Actually come to think of it, 0083 happened. New plan, 2 man team. One in a shuttle fitted with GP02's nuke bazook, one in a ball far far away for the sake of having a remaining team member at the end.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Actually come to think of it, the shuttle build opens up a can of worms. The system can apparently recognize unofficial model kits and calculate their abilities, so yeah, really why not? If we're going that far though we may as well just put a bunch of custom built boosters onto one of the more powerful mobile armors and launch that into space.

You're forgetting that Lotus Fortress itself is essentially a Mobile Armor with its rocket-powered claws. And it's a whole lot bigger.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big reason no other team's managed it is because the ascent eats at least half the time limit. And that's shaving down the team size from 5 to 3 units for a faster shuttle. Any team could've cleared it, the problem was that nobody could figure out how to optimize the attempt to reach the Lotus Fortress, engage the defense team, and kill the core in the time limit. Building and customizing the shuttle itself is a massive job in 1/144-scale, and it's not surprising nobody else has even considered that angle.

It's also a great moment for Koichi, because between his coming up with their strategy and scratch-building the shuttle, it once again shows how a guy like him was able to reach 3rd place nationally and 8th place internationally back in the old GPD days before he went into his depression-induced retirement.

"None of the shuttles in the game can make the ascent in a reasonable amount of time? Then I'll just build my own goddamn shuttle."

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting that Lotus Fortress itself is essentially a Mobile Armor with its rocket-powered claws. And it's a whole lot bigger.

Neo Zeong though, just destroy all their weapons. You're pretty much safe unless the fish empire has Barnacle Links and Riddhe Mackerel on hand.

Edit: Once they've stopped fighting over Minnow-va Zabi of course. :hurr:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 15, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

So you're saying we need a Dynames AND a suicide shuttle?

Actually come to think of it, 0083 happened. New plan, 2 man team. One in a shuttle fitted with GP02's nuke bazook, one in a ball far far away for the sake of having a remaining team member at the end.

Probably wouldn't work, since the crab is a giant asteroid space station/mobile armor hybrid. The atomic bazooka wiped out a bunch of exposed ships, but it didn't even kill the whole fleet and it certainly didn't seriously damage Solomon itself. It doesn't count if you wipe out all the defenders but the fort is left intact.

RillAkBea posted:

Neo Zeong though, just destroy all their weapons. You're pretty much safe unless the fish empire has Barnacle Links and Riddhe Mackerel on hand.

You start on the surface. You can't get it into space easily, and even if you can, you need to get into range without getting owned by mines/long range defense fire. Even if you can, the Neo Zeong's psycho field thing destroys weapons by blowing up their energy sources and the Crab's defense team was using tridents and fists and the fortress also has giant crab claw pincers. Banagher was quite able to give the Neo Zeong the karate chop special.

To be honest given the scenario we were given I don't see that many bullshit ways to game the challenge using established Gundam tech due to the combination of "need to make it into space fast enough" and "need to overcome a huge mixed defense cordon" within a strict time limit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Probably wouldn't work, since the crab is a giant asteroid space station/mobile armor hybrid. The atomic bazooka wiped out a bunch of exposed ships, but it didn't even kill the whole fleet and it certainly didn't seriously damage Solomon itself. It doesn't count if you wipe out all the defenders but the fort is left intact.

You start on the surface. You can't get it into space easily, and even if you can, you need to get into range without getting owned by mines/long range defense fire. Even if you can, the Neo Zeong's psycho field thing destroys weapons by blowing up their energy sources and the Crab's defense team was using tridents and fists and the fortress also has giant crab claw pincers. Banagher was quite able to give the Neo Zeong the karate chop special.

To be honest given the scenario we were given I don't see that many bullshit ways to game the challenge using established Gundam tech due to the combination of "need to make it into space fast enough" and "need to overcome a huge mixed defense cordon" within a strict time limit.

A Dynames or 00 Raiser would probably be useful for giving the shuttle team covering fire, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

A Dynames or 00 Raiser would probably be useful for giving the shuttle team covering fire, though.

Not really. You still need an EXPERIENCED sharpshooter for those shots, which none of them are. The launch site is also almost certainly going not be anywhere near under the Lotus due to the slingshot launch, so anything left on the planet is useless.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. You still need an EXPERIENCED sharpshooter for those shots, which none of them are. The launch site is also almost certainly going not be anywhere near under the Lotus due to the slingshot launch, so anything left on the planet is useless.

I mean, even just wiggling a massive beam-sword around in the general direction of the Lotus fortress is going to be extremely annoying, frightening, and disruptive for the defenders, and will certainly help with that minefield. Besides, was it mentioned that everyone had to start in the same place on the planet?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Gotta wonder how OP a unit with Moonlight Butterfly would be in GBN. It's probably already nerfed to poo poo, or just another Wings of Light offensive attack.

Full power Turn A would probably just have the player insta-banned for suspected Break Decal usage.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Is it even possible to make a Turn A good enough to meet Dark History specs?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

bingsu posted:

Is it even possible to make a Turn A good enough to meet Dark History specs?
*Tango music* Maybe if the Mejin himself build one. *Tango fades*

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the build quality mechanic is a really obvious balancing measure for the Turn A. I don’t even want to imagine what would happen if you tried to release the Butterfly with an unpainted out-of-the-box HG.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, the build quality mechanic is a really obvious balancing measure for the Turn A. I don’t even want to imagine what would happen if you tried to release the Butterfly with an unpainted out-of-the-box HG.

Another argument for GPD, get it wrong and your kit bursts.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zedd posted:

*Tango music* Maybe if the Mejin himself build one. *Tango fades*

hosed up that we never got the Turn Amazing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Gundam ∀mazing

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

W.T. Fits posted:

Gundam ∀mazing

Perfection.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

chumbler posted:

Gundam ∀rabe Gundam

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AtheistMantis posted:

Gotta wonder how OP a unit with Moonlight Butterfly would be in GBN. It's probably already nerfed to poo poo, or just another Wings of Light offensive attack.

Full power Turn A would probably just have the player insta-banned for suspected Break Decal usage.

Probably nerfed, since the gorilla guy activated the moonlight butterfly in the original GF and promptly got shot by Sazaki.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, the Turns in animation were basically immune to beam weaponry even before they used the Moonlight Butterfly, given that the Turn-X withstood near point blank hits from Harry's SUMO's beam pistol and the Turn-A withstood a barrage of several dozen hits from the Turn-X's bloody siege attack (i.e. when it uses the cannon on each "bit" of it's body at once). That scene would put the Gundams in Wing to shame really, though "almost or actively immune to some field of attacks (beam, physical etc) has become a lot more common in Gundam since then. Though the're not entirely immune, since the Turn-X's backpack was destroyed by the cannon installed by Gym's engineers in the Turn-A's chest silos. Regardless, the Turn-A also uses an I-field that could effortlessly disperse the shot from an upgraded WaD's beam cannon, one shot from which was able to over-power Harry's SUMO's I-field generator and cause it to explode and both use the Moonlight Butterfly to block a variety of attacks, including missiles, beams and potentially radiation.

I'm always kind of sad to see the Turns and Moonlight Butterfly ignored in favor of other units and system when it comes to meta gameplay in the Build Universe, since theoretically using the Moonlight Butterfly for one should grant a combination of the Wings of Light (offensive and defensive blanket that can cover a huge area if desired) and Devil Gundam cells (nanomachines that can infect other units and effect some degree of self repair, if too slowly for mid-battle) even just sticking to the animation. Especially when you consider that use of the Moonlight Butterfly in the animation could instantly "eat" and invalidate I-fields as well as that using it created large storm systems that could wreak havoc environmentally.

The Turn-A's legs being a giant mass of thrusters and it's entire body being an empty shell manipulated by an I-field based drive that leaves the entire thing empty to place other weapons in to and the Turn-X being a set of 10 individual bits, 9 of which house a cannon also seems like it'd be ripe for abuse. The backpack weapon storage area could potentially be psycommu controlled to allow use of it's weapons to increase that to all 10 bits too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 17, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The counterpoint to all of that is that a lot of nerdy gunota don't care about the Turns very much.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh, undoubtedly. Doesn't make it less sad though. Most people who watch Turn-A don't even seem to think that the Turn-A and Moonlight Butterfly as they're presented in the show are anything all that special and that it's only in the supplemental material like novels, games, manuals and databooks that it's notably strong from my experience; only really recalling it as something that was used to create butterfly wings that ate civilization in the past and don't even seem to realize it's capable of more than that or that it can be used on a smaller scale if desired and was within the show.

The Wikia entry still lists some demonstrably incorrect information after several years with good subs, like that the Turn-A's I-field protected it from a nuclear explosion (it didn't) or that the Moonlight Butterfly system is said to have 3 requirements: the nanomachines, the energy and the program to activate it with the Turn-A needing energy from the Turn-X in show and the Turn-X needing both the nanomachines and program from the Turn-A. Which isn't a thing in the show, and the Turn-A and Turn-X both can freely use it as soon as the pilots find out about it. I've no idea where whoever wrote the wiki pulled that information from, but it certainly isn't in the show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 17, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

In the new episode of build divers: A talking penis.

Also some ropey rear end excuses for animation.

Momo finally got her chance to shine though :3:

And it looks like no new episode next week.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 17, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RillAkBea posted:

In the new episode of build divers: A talking penis.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
Dracula, why are you in Gundam
Dracula, why are you collecting digital real estate in Gundam, ... ...well, I guess it's not like a sunny island would be a good idea in real life; and it's not like Britain went well for you
Carry on, you're living the dream

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Kinda liked this episode. Dracula expresses buyers remorse for his :sun: island. So he makes some kids fight over it. The animation budget went to the best suit and no one else. Did Galbaldy Rebake even move. Nobody tried to throw plot at us or pretend like the game is more important than it is. Not a horrible episode for once.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Momo falling for all the traps was the best

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Pretty good design ethos on team SD.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, this was a fun episode, and a good place to slack off on the production - the minimalistic, slightly janky animation actually fitted pretty well with the light-hearted, inconsequential tone.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Poor Patrick was getting mauled by Flanders from Victory Gundam in the background of the pet store when Sarah was buying Molly.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I actually laughed at how the battle ended

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just so we're all clear, everyone else was reading Mr Racula's lines with a transylvanian accent too, right?

I am incredibly happy they finally used Momokapool for a soccer shot. Well, the Minikapoo,l at least and holy poo poo was it worth the wait :allears:.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh good, the tubby unicorn fuckboy is back next episode. Can't wait.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Midjack posted:

Oh good, the tubby unicorn fuckboy is back next episode. Can't wait.

But he does a Athrun/Cagali with the GM3 pilot. You know, I think he has a hat. Maybe suspenders. Probably has a name but not so much a personality.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sazabi posted:

But he does a Athrun/Cagali with the GM3 pilot. You know, I think he has a hat. Maybe suspenders. Probably has a name but not so much a personality.

He has a VR hat.

He does not have enough of a personality to attempt a hat in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Whatever happens hold on to your asses because that tricked out Jegan is coming (and so am I).

• Locked thread