Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Aurum vale is easy and Ive never wiped on it

This is right, I've never had a problem with pug parties once, even ones that I've joined in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
im glad 5 u

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

cursed gil

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Well at least you know what the dye is going to be used on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Leal posted:

loving coin counter, the ONE party who managed to not wipe and drop in the first room I had a tank who kept spinning the drat guy, right into me as a melee dps.

Even better, at least a quarter of that was probably not his fault because every time Coincounter does Eye of the Beholder, he resets enmity :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even better, at least a quarter of that was probably not his fault because every time Coincounter does Eye of the Beholder, he resets enmity :v:

loving what

i have played 8 out of 10 of my 80+ aurum vale runs as a tank and never noticed any enmity weirdness like that, so i'm inclined to think you're lying

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

That is in fact a mechanic on coincounter, worth noting is that it resets everyone's aggro back to 0. If you're even vaguely competent at tanking you will likely never notice.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Does that also apply to the mobs that fight just like him?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Also whats this, players who finish the prae quest get a fantasia? This is bullshit yoshi p where is my retroactive fantasia :mad:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vadoc posted:

Does that also apply to the mobs that fight just like him?

No, it's specifically a Coincounter mechanic.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leal posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Also whats this, players who finish the prae quest get a fantasia? This is bullshit yoshi p where is my retroactive fantasia :mad:

It's the 30 day subscription Fantasia, but they moved it to Praetorium. You already got it.

Also wow I never knew about the coincounter thing, fascinating. I've never seen a tank lose aggro on the guy outside of dying like an (amusing) idiot.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Leal posted:

I don't think Fantasias are subscription rewards anymore, so all they did was change how you got your one (1) free fantasia. You're not technically missing out :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Although technically I think the people who got the 30-day Fantasia but hadn't yet cleared Prae when they changed it were eligible for both.

Those bastards! :argh:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

If you played 1.0 you also got a fantasia, I still have both in a retainer somewhere.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Can healers/tanks get into parties almost instantly? I'm wanting to play as an Astrologian once I reach Ishgard, and I imagine leveling will be much easier if I can do instances back to back without 10-15 minutes between them.

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm looking for an MMO that I can pretty comfortably solo in, but where it's easy to dip in and out of group content. I also really like to play barbie dress up. It looks like it's between this and GW2, and I like the aesthetic of this more than GW2. Is FFXIV fairly friendly to casual soloers?

This is the thing I like most about FF14, and there's a metric fuckton of story content for people like us who are just getting into it after the first couple expansions have already been released.

Leal posted:

Hit the 46-49 quest slump on my alt character and man I forgot how much that part suuuuucked. Main story quests gave you some decentish xp, around 25k a pop. Then you get to 47 and the game tells you to gently caress off until 49. Oh but you get a few quests to keep you going! You get 1 quest chain at 46, 47 and 48. And they pay out like 10k a pop, and last like 5 quests. Out of the 400k+ per level at that point.

I don't know how I dealt with it back then when there was no ala mhigan earrings boosting my dungeon xp, or back before they buffed dungeon mob xp in the first place.

Having dealt with this recently, I only think it took me about 2 or 3 dungeons while doing levequests during the queues.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alright so I'm considering getting Stormblood-- I never played since Heavensward. I have the Steam edition, so I was thinking of doing this:

The Complete Edition is $30 for PC download. I was gonna get that and activate the PC license, instead of the Steam edition. This is the same price as getting Stormblood alone on Steam. However, the Complete Edition gives me a 30-day time pass and the restriction says it's only valid on a new platform.

Does that mean that if I buy the PC complete version, I'll get 30 days of gametime that apply to my account?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Can healers/tanks get into parties almost instantly? I'm wanting to play as an Astrologian once I reach Ishgard, and I imagine leveling will be much easier if I can do instances back to back without 10-15 minutes between them.

Healers and tanks can get into most duty queues very quickly if not instantly thanks to having relatively few people running as those roles. It's a reason people suggest having a dps be your first job, because all that msq xp makes up for the time lost waiting in dps queues.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

jokes posted:

Alright so I'm considering getting Stormblood-- I never played since Heavensward. I have the Steam edition, so I was thinking of doing this:

The Complete Edition is $30 for PC download. I was gonna get that and activate the PC license, instead of the Steam edition. This is the same price as getting Stormblood alone on Steam. However, the Complete Edition gives me a 30-day time pass and the restriction says it's only valid on a new platform.

Does that mean that if I buy the PC complete version, I'll get 30 days of gametime that apply to my account?

I think it means on ps4 than pc again. I got 30 days after I bought it for both. Steam just locks you to it and you can use the wallet for subs.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Played up through level 9, it's pretty fun! I have a couple of questions now that I'm settling into the game:

• I like crafting in MMO's for my barbie dress up. Is it worth picking up blacksmithing to make myself gear? The trade skill being cross functional and allowing me to make useful gear while I level is great too.

• Is there anyway to turn off or tone down nameplate? Especially in cities it's so cluttered as to be a little overwhelming.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Is it worth picking up blacksmithing to make myself gear?

No

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It is definitely worth picking up carpentry (and the rest because why not) if you ever want a house though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

NeurosisHead posted:

Played up through level 9, it's pretty fun! I have a couple of questions now that I'm settling into the game:

• I like crafting in MMO's for my barbie dress up. Is it worth picking up blacksmithing to make myself gear? The trade skill being cross functional and allowing me to make useful gear while I level is great too.

• Is there anyway to turn off or tone down nameplate? Especially in cities it's so cluttered as to be a little overwhelming.

Crafting in ffxiv is more involved than in most MMOs, and is an undertaking in and of itself separate from the Main Story Quest. Its interesting, but is a time and money sink, especially if you're trying to make your own gear.

The MSQ is pretty good about keeping you in gear (it gets better in the expansions)

You can turn nameplates off somewhere in Character Settings.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

"Look, I don't care how much money it takes, you get your best weavers on the job and you have them make a ton of great looking gear. The Warrior of Light just bought the last piece of Immortal Flames pants and those goofy pirates just put out a new line of fancy hats to lure him back in!"

Don't forget the fancy Maelstrom coat.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Highly recommended to get a combat class to 70 before really engaging with the crafting game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

NeurosisHead posted:

1. Not really. It's a big money/time sink and the gear you make will be outclassed pretty quickly by stuff you get from quests and dungeons. You also don't want to just level one crafter class, you want to level them all to take advantage of cross-class skills. Level them if you want, just don't expect the gear you make to be useful for more than a brief moment. The good news is that the pretty princess dressup game is real and you don't need any sort of crafting to get into it.

2. Character configuration - Display Name Settings - Others

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While picking up crafting to keep your main class supplied is generally not worth it, it's really nice to be able to make poo poo for your secondary classes. If you go through the main story as a dragoon, then the game will give you level appropriate dragoon gear, but this leaves you high and dry stuff-wise if you later decide you want to try out black mage.

I also don't think you need to wait until 70 before getting into crafting, but I would advise at least 50 so you can unlock the Ixali beast tribe stuff and use that to level.

The short version for gearing up, by the way, is that the story will give you good enough stuff up to 50, then you can easily get a pile of tomestones (a currency; don't worry about specifics) and buy Ironworks gear which will carry you to Heavensward and a good bit in. That'll give you high quality level appropriate gear. Once you get to 60, get Shire gear with the tomestones and you're fine until Stormblood, at which point it does the "hand you level appropriate stuff" thing again, and at 70 you get on the traditional gear treadmill.

You can go for high quality stuff below 50, and it's nice but not really required. Post 50, it has to be HQ, but the game gives you what you need so you'll be fine. I ground out crafting and made sure to make my own stuff, and while it was nice rolling around in high quality gear that I'd made myself, it was absolutely not worth it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eh low level gear is given hand over fist for everyone since it's available at the NPCs. Also, you're moving very quickly through the game and no real need unless tanking to craft upgrades. Crafting is a hobby and sometimes ppl make money?

Also, you would need to buy mats for your crafts so would a player actually save much at all?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Crafters charge a pretty hefty markup to represent the time it takes us to be able to do this stuff. So it depends on a lot of factors. How much money could you make if you did something else, how much do the materials cost, and so on. "Is anybody even selling it" is also a big question (the answer may be no!). So if you really want that high quality steel armor for your brand new Dark Knight, and nobody is selling it, and you don't have any crafter bros to bang out a set real quick, you've got to do it yourself. Or you could be the crafter bro who can bang out stuff for friends real quick.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Speaking of crafting, what do I do with these endless piles of crafting materials? Vendor them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
See what sells on the MB and vendor the rest.

E: Woops forgot "get undercut to hell and vendor all of it"

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm just doing the trial for now so I think that means I'll be vendoring it all. Thanks for the info, if (when probably, this game is pretty fun) I decide to sub maybe I'll a few more pennies on the market board. Thanks!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If it's just lowbie stuff you can safely sell. No one's going to buy that.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I make all my money selling level ~20 botanist stuff for 200-1000 gil each on the MB, and price gouging some NPC bought items. The MB on Excal is full of holes you can try filling, your results will vary with the item.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

NeurosisHead posted:

Seconding that crafting isn't really worth messing with until you're at least to level 50. Leveling crafters tends to cost you money unless you're an appropriately leveled botanist and miner as well. Plus, you really want to level them all up at roughly the same time for cross-class skills and to save on gear. Speaking of BTN/MIN, leveling those jobs up can be a (modestly) profitable and relaxing diversion, and I'd honestly say to go for one of those before you start working on crafting.

Also, this game is totally the best dress up simulator on the market. I have, at last count, twenty-four different outfits that I wear somewhat regularly. i may have a bit of a problem

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I will agree that you should probably keep your gatherers a bit ahead of your crafters, so you can relatively easily get whatever you need. If you really want to go bananas with it, then wait until your Miner and Botanist are level 70 before you start, because that way you can trivially gather enormous quantities of stuff. That isn't necessary, of course, and it's certainly time consuming, but it'll make grinding poo poo out for your crafters much easier. Assuming levekits aren't in the budget, anyway.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's a levekit? I've put off leveling my gatherer classes and just chuck stuff at GC seal turn-ins whenever I feel like it since I've been on an MSQ roll.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Schneider Heim posted:

What's a levekit? I've put off leveling my gatherer classes and just chuck stuff at GC seal turn-ins whenever I feel like it since I've been on an MSQ roll.

Crafter leve's don't care if you're the one who actually crafted the item (they only care about HQ or not) and crafter/gatherer leves are very static. Naturally this means that a market has sprung up for ready-made bulk leve turn-ins so you can trade gil for someone else's time.

That's a levekit.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
playing a femroe on jp servers is a hell of a thing. Almost every dungeon start looks like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
That is not really that much different from US servers honestly.