Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shy posted:

hows the linux version?

still bad but also just as expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

the guy got their username/password pwned by a random virus and the same thing would have happened if it was a gpg key. the rogue release was made by someone that stole the username/password off the dev's machine.

package signing only tells you it was made by a computer that has the key. it doesnt tell you whether the person using the computer is the eslint developer, or if it is even the computer of the eslint developer.

a hardware keystore would require user interaction or a much more sophisticated MITM attack of the next release done by that person

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

b0lt posted:

a hardware keystore would require user interaction or a much more sophisticated MITM attack of the next release done by that person

Cool! They should use this for their username/password and/or npm token.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

can gpg keys be passworded? then it'd at least be what you have + what you know (assuming lack of keylogger i guess)

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Cool! They should use this for their username/password and/or npm token.

that's fundamentally worse?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

b0lt posted:

that's fundamentally worse?

Why?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

because npm's 2fa is much worse? because an MITM attack that replaces the contents of a package on upload is much easier to perform undetected than one that replaces it on signature? because you can't move the authentication onto a device that you know to be uncompromised?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Suspicious Dish posted:

the guy got their username/password pwned by a random virus and the same thing would have happened if it was a gpg key. the rogue release was made by someone that stole the username/password off the dev's machine.

The official post-mortem says that the developer reused email+password on a different site that got breached though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xarn posted:

The official post-mortem says that the developer reused email+password on a different site that got breached though.

lol, that's not what I read at first. huh.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

welp

that’s a hard one to counter

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Boiled Water posted:

still bad but also just as expensive

look at mr ellison over here

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

redleader posted:

look at mr ellison over here

what

i dont' get this joke or reference

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

what

i dont' get this joke or reference

ellison is the oracle head who makes a database more expensive and more bad

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Databad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

data quality startup?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Suspicious Dish posted:

package signing only tells you it was made by a computer that has the key. it doesnt tell you whether the person using the computer is the eslint developer, or if it is even the computer of the eslint developer.
private keys can have passphrases

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Fiedler posted:

golang? people actually use that poo poo?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

this is funny because golang has programming concepts most grandpas would be familiar with

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

:getout:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Fiedler posted:

golang? people actually use that poo poo?

not outside of "hacker" "news", no

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
actually, go is good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shy posted:

hows the linux version?

the linux version of ms sql is built from the same code as regular ms sql

unfortunately all the surrounding components are missing -- no integration services / dts packages and so on

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the linux version of ms sql is built from the same code as regular ms sql

unfortunately all the surrounding components are missing -- no integration services / dts packages and so on

"built from the same code" is massive understatement. it's drat near exactly the same database engine with the same windows dependencies. they just ship the windows bits along with the rdbms.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

ozymandOS posted:

actually, go is good
unfortunately it is not, but i get why you posted, 50% chance of getting it right

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ozymandOS posted:

actually, go is good

wish you would

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
what's with every Java application ever written feeling like absolute hot trash to use

even extremely widely used things like Jenkins just have this feel about it like any wrong click is going to send the whole thing into a death spiral, and, sometimes, it does

what's up with that?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redleader posted:

mssql owns though and you should have no regret for choosing it

PostgreSQL exists, as such, there is no reason to choose MsSQL. :colbert:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

PostgreSQL exists, as such, there is no reason to choose MsSQL. :colbert:

what if i want my database budget to explode?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

what if i want my database budget to explode?

Depends if you want it to explode or go nuclear

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

imagine the person who pays for this and everything has microsoft written on the inside of his eyelids

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

this is or*cle free zone

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is or*cle free zone

I’ve maintained a “PostgreSQL and SQLite are good for 99% of all projects, and for very different reasons” for quite a while, and haven’t found a situation yet where this hasn’t held up as true.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

i had a reply to that post about how shaggar was wrong but the thread moved on by that point so i just left it be, but if someone wants i can post it

your core failure to understand signing means you didn't but ok.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

you still don't understand. he didn't get his key pwned he got his npm creds pwned because npm is an untrustworthy host that doesn't enforce mfa. package signing would have protected everyone from this attack since his key was never stolen.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

I’ve maintained a “PostgreSQL and SQLite are good for 99% of all projects, and for very different reasons” for quite a while, and haven’t found a situation yet where this hasn’t held up as true.

postgres is fine in most cases yeah

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

How do people verify the signatures of npm packages? Do you keep a local database of which author/public key you trust to publish each of your dependencies?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pgp is a bad way to do it for that reason, but yeah that's how it would work. you'd gather public keys either from the source or from some key distribution network.

a better solution would be to use traditional x509 infrastructure so you can use your computer's trust store.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

abigserve posted:

what's with every application ever written feeling like absolute hot trash to use

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have to design and implement a package system for my plang soon. It's liberating to know it will be poo poo no matter what. Since I'm just one dude, I think I will copy a lot from the new vgo thing, since it seems really barebones and easy to implement. It's unclear why that's the design you'd pick for a huge enterprisy language, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Vanadium posted:

How do people verify the signatures of npm packages? Do you keep a local database of which author/public key you trust to publish each of your dependencies?

lol