Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
https://twitter.com/owlga_gotoku/status/1018902487166676992?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Ok, does anyone know if Onomichio and the comedian outfit can be obtained in game? I want a physical steel book, not the digital version which comes with those as dlc. I really just hope those are just early unlocks that come with the pan digital version.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, I had given Kiwami such a long break, that I forgot how to fight. First fight back was against Majima in Breakerstyle. Fightin back in Rush style, it took loving forever, I was so dejected.

But forcing myself to play my backlog of unbeaten games, I kept going, and I was finally getting to a point where I remembered how to fight and what most of my moves are again, and things were looking up.

Then... I unlocked a little thing called the Tiger Drop.... and, oh yeah... ooohhhhhh yeeeeeeeeahhhhhh.

I'm back in gear.

something something reawaken the dragon

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I just got to Akiyama’s part in 5, and I know that all of the plots may be blurring together at this point, but did Akiyama even meet Haruka in 4?

Because if they met after the events in 4, c’mon Mr. A, you could have loaned Kiryu some big bucks rather than Kiryu getting bullied out of his own house by a mean lady for a few months

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MechaX posted:

So I just got to Akiyama’s part in 5, and I know that all of the plots may be blurring together at this point, but did Akiyama even meet Haruka in 4?

Because if they met after the events in 4, c’mon Mr. A, you could have loaned Kiryu some big bucks rather than Kiryu getting bullied out of his own house by a mean lady for a few months

Was Haruka even in 4?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Was Haruka even in 4?

Yeah, she found Saejima when he washed up on shore and was about to do weird things because he hasn’t been with a woman in 25 years, but calms it down. She also found that ugly dude from 3 who had his entire redemption arc, and she was pissed because he loving stabbed Kiryu at the end of 3 in front of her. But I don’t remember her ever leaving Sunshine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MechaX posted:

Yeah, she found Saejima when he washed up on shore and was about to do weird things because he hasn’t been with a woman in 25 years, but calms it down. She also found that ugly dude from 3 who had his entire redemption arc, and she was pissed because he loving stabbed Kiryu at the end of 3 in front of her. But I don’t remember her ever leaving Sunshine.

Gotcha. 4 was my first Yakuza game so her significance was probably just lost on me.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So no confirmation either way on the Kiwami 2 thing?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been jumping back and forth between y0 and y6 and hooboy the differences in some of the minigames trips me up.

Also there really ought to be a yakuza megathread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two threads are better than one

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

How far along should I be in real estate for any given point in the story? I just got a warning from Tachibana that I might need some money soon in Chapter 6. I only have leisure king stuff right now, is that ok?.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a primate posted:

How far along should I be in real estate for any given point in the story? I just got a warning from Tachibana that I might need some money soon in Chapter 6. I only have leisure king stuff right now, is that ok?.

I went nuts with the business minigames and as Kiryu fought Kuze in the sewers using the Dragon of Dojima style. On a similar note, as Majima I fought Wen Hai Lee in the warehouse with the Mad Dog of Shimano style.

So I'm not really a great judge of that stuff, but since engaging in the business stuff is entirely optional and you don't need all the cash and stat unlocks to progress, I'm sure you'll be fine if you keep a bag full of healing items.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I went nuts with the business minigames and as Kiryu fought Kuze in the sewers using the Dragon of Dojima style. On a similar note, as Majima I fought Wen Hai Lee in the warehouse with the Mad Dog of Shimano style.

So I'm not really a great judge of that stuff, but since engaging in the business stuff is entirely optional and you don't need all the cash and stat unlocks to progress, I'm sure you'll be fine if you keep a bag full of healing items.

Ok, cool. I’ll keep real estate-ing then since I’m really enjoying it!

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

numerrik posted:

Ok, does anyone know if Onomichio and the comedian outfit can be obtained in game? I want a physical steel book, not the digital version which comes with those as dlc. I really just hope those are just early unlocks that come with the pan digital version.

I know the Onomichio costume is in the game now from one of the fun pack updates, I don't know what the comedian outfit is.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

KingShiro posted:

I know the Onomichio costume is in the game now from one of the fun pack updates, I don't know what the comedian outfit is.

The one with the blue jacket and glasses. I just don’t want them locked behind preorder dlc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a primate posted:

Ok, cool. I’ll keep real estate-ing then since I’m really enjoying it!

Thanks to overdoing it as Majima, I even got to have a mirror match psycho knife fight later on, it's great.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Xarbala posted:

Thanks to overdoing it as Majima, I even got to have a mirror match psycho knife fight later on, it's great.

This was very entertaining on my NG+ play I just finished. As was fighting Kuze with the Dragon of Dojima style every goddamn time.

Also, after replaying 0 after Kiwami: Holy goddamn gently caress is Kazama a legendary badass. Like, he could out-scheme Littlefinger in his sleep. In addition to being a stand-up guy and a terrifying assassin he also basically could easily have run the Tojo clan and wisely opted to be kingmaker instead of king. And he goes out like a loving champ too. What a stone cold boss.

That whole political backstory to the Kazama / Sera relationship is a brilliant bit of retconing. It 1000% makes sense why Sera would just leave who gets to be the 4th chairman up to Kazama to decide. Dude decided the third, after all.

edit: Actually, one plot point kinda eluded me in Yak0, even on replay - wtf does Sagawa get offed by the Omi at the end? Is it just because he's Shimano's oath brother and Shimano killed the Omi head of HQ? Because otherwise it seems like he's acting in the Omi's interests, or at least not counter to them, for the entire loving game.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 20, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Can someone tell me the best way to use Mad Dog style? I just unlocked it and I did get some triple-kill Heat move, but by and large I just don’t seem to get it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

edit: Actually, one plot point kinda eluded me in Yak0, even on replay - wtf does Sagawa get offed by the Omi at the end? Is it just because he's Shimano's oath brother and Shimano killed the Omi head of HQ? Because otherwise it seems like he's acting in the Omi's interests, or at least not counter to them, for the entire loving game.

Sagawa already hosed up big time in getting Makoto and the Empty Lot to the right people and then the leader of the Omi alliance ends up dead and they know Shimano did it. But they can't really outright declare war on the Tojo Clan, especially right now, so the sworn brother is going to pay retribution.

It probably didn't really carry the message it was supposed to because Shimano doesn't give a poo poo

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

MechaX posted:

Sagawa already hosed up big time in getting Makoto and the Empty Lot to the right people and then the leader of the Omi alliance ends up dead and they know Shimano did it. But they can't really outright declare war on the Tojo Clan, especially right now, so the sworn brother is going to pay retribution.

It probably didn't really carry the message it was supposed to because Shimano doesn't give a poo poo

Well, had Shimano's plan worked, Sagawa would have been the conquering hero who delivered a foothold in Tokyo to the Omi, so I dunno that I agree that he hosed up until it was all played out. On the other hand it really seems like Sagawa had no idea that was Shimano's plan and was really just doing his oathbro a favor... either way yeah, it makes sense that they'd take out Sagawa to punish Shimano instead of risking open war with the Tojo clan.

Dumbass Omi Alliance, thinking Shimano would give a gently caress about someone offing his oath-brother.

It does make sense for Maijima's arc though, IMO. Sagawa was loyal and tenacious and funny and he got murdered for some poo poo he didn't do because of some bullshit politics. Seeing that would absolutely give Majima another push into his Mad Dog persona.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sagawa was a fucker but he was such a smarmy bastard that I kind of liked him

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Digital Osmosis posted:

Also, after replaying 0 after Kiwami: Holy goddamn gently caress is Kazama a legendary badass. Like, he could out-scheme Littlefinger in his sleep. In addition to being a stand-up guy and a terrifying assassin he also basically could easily have run the Tojo clan and wisely opted to be kingmaker instead of king. And he goes out like a loving champ too. What a stone cold boss.

I would argue against that last point, being the first of many, many casualties of "nobody checking to see if the bad guy has a gun after he's been knocked out"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wasn't that just an omi envoy not the omi head?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

I would argue against that last point, being the first of many, many casualties of "nobody checking to see if the bad guy has a gun after he's been knocked out"

Yeah but a bomb is cooler than a gun and he died protecting his sorta-granddaughter. If you're gonna go out, go out doing something important, IMO.

mastershakeman posted:

Wasn't that just an omi envoy not the omi head?

He was the Omi head of HQ.

I have no loving idea what that means precisely, but it's definitely a rank since you can assign someone to it in your "i swear we're just a street gang" Kiryu-kai in Yakuza 6. I presume they... take care of the HQ?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've been playing a bit of Ryu ga Gotoku 1 & 2 HD Edition on the PS3, and I just don't understand why Sega didn't release this HD compilation outside Japan back in 2012. They could've at least dusted off the old translations and released the games on PSN, but I guess even that would've been too expensive and not profitable enough.

If you haven't played these HD remasters, they're pretty drat great. We've got full 1080p resolution, 60 fps during gameplay (although the character animations still seem to run at a lower frame rate), item storage at save points, camera control with the right analog stick during fights and in certain areas, and almost nonexistent loading times. Of course we have Kiwami now and Kiwami 2 is coming out soon, but even though the remakes exist it'd still be nice if the HD remasters were available for fans of the original games outside Japan. PS3 copies of 1 & 2 HD are cheap and easy to find online if the language barrier doesn't bother you, but I wish that didn't need to be an issue at all. Sega! :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They probably saw the sales figures for Silent Hill HD Collection.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

"The worst HD collection ever sold poorly, so we shouldn't release these actually good HD remasters!"

Yeah, that sounds about right for Sega. And to be fair, 1 & 2 HD probably wouldn't have sold very well at the time.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Doc M posted:

"The worst HD collection ever sold poorly, so we shouldn't release these actually good HD remasters!"

Yeah, that sounds about right for Sega. And to be fair, 1 & 2 HD probably wouldn't have sold very well at the time.

Sounds more like Konami tbh

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Guys, holy poo poo. I loving love this game. Just finished chapter 6 in 0 after grinding in real estate for a few hours. I forgot how good the writing is in the main story line. Also, im drinking Sapporo and I think this game is turning me into a weeb...

I’m so glad the forums has such a reasonable love for this game. The main storyline is just... *kisses fingers*

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a primate posted:

Also, im drinking Sapporo and I think this game is turning me into a weeb...

Yeah, playing Yakuza and reading all the food/drink descriptions is gonna do that to you. I tried Soju for the first time after I played Yakuza 4.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

And I think I had takoyaki once some days ago, despite eating plenty of octopus balls in 0.

Not sure what to expect outta it, just felt like fried stuff with a bit of octopus in it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

widespread posted:

And I think I had takoyaki once some days ago, despite eating plenty of octopus balls in 0.

Not sure what to expect outta it, just felt like fried stuff with a bit of octopus in it.

Yeah it's basically just a ball of fried batter with mayo, worcestershire sauce, and tuna flakes on top with like a single chunk of octopus inside and it owns.

No wonder it's so popular, you can't really go wrong with just plain frying a ball of batter.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

From what I’ve seen, I think it’s technically baking, not frying.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Xarbala posted:

Yeah it's basically just a ball of fried batter with mayo, worcestershire sauce, and tuna flakes on top with like a single chunk of octopus inside and it owns.

No wonder it's so popular, you can't really go wrong with just plain frying a ball of batter.

Okay that's what I thought. Could go for Bonito flake and other dumb poo poo on some tbh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Octopus was a bit too chewy for me when I tried it but it wasn't awful or anything

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I got Yakuza 0 a few days ago and I am digging it hard. It's kind of what I want from these types of games without all of the crap that's been getting loaded into them. The humor works and I actually dig the main story. It's actually got me really interested in trying the rest of the series.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Sakurazuka posted:

Octopus was a bit too chewy for me when I tried it but it wasn't awful or anything

Octopus is one of the animals I won't eat any more. Those motherfuckers are too goddamn smart. Squid, sure, they are basically robots, but octopus, nah man, that's like eating a person from a different country. Just cause you can't understand their language or customs doesn't mean they aren't people.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Octopus is one of the animals I won't eat any more. Those motherfuckers are too goddamn smart. Squid, sure, they are basically robots, but octopus, nah man, that's like eating a person from a different country. Just cause you can't understand their language or customs doesn't mean they aren't people.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=19139049#p19139049

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

numerrik posted:

From what I’ve seen, I think it’s technically baking, not frying.

Whatever verb you’d use for pancakes, use that. And the only downside to takoyaki is when the outside is warm but the inside is still molten hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

harperdc posted:

Whatever verb you’d use for pancakes, use that. And the only downside to takoyaki is when the outside is warm but the inside is still molten hot.

I agree, which would make both items grilled, not baked, my bad