Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

Really disappointed with what Apple is offering in their new Macbook pros. I was looking to get one relatively soon but the specs are so weak in the base models, especially for what you pay. I see these new Dell, Asus, and Chinese laptops coming out with top-of-the-line specs for $300-$800 less than the new MBPs, and with similar build qualities. I bought the MBP 2016 and was severely disappointed with its overheating issues and I thought the touch bar wasn't for me, so I returned it after about a week. I don't feel like these new gen MBPs really offer much more, especially for the (at this moment) crazy price point.

I'm holding out hope for that new low-cost Macbook that is rumored to be coming, but unless I really, REALLY need what the new MBP is offering (I'm currently satisfying my needs with a 2013 MBA) I guess I'm gonna have to keep waiting.

If the latest refresh isn't for you, I don't really think anything Apple will release will satisfy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Gay Retard posted:

If the latest refresh isn't for you, I don't really think anything Apple will release will satisfy you.

I don't think so either, but sadly it's the only game in town.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't think so either, but sadly it's the only game in town.

I'd also like to point out that your overheating issue seems extremely unique. Did you ever take it to the Apple store?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Gay Retard posted:

I’m gonna try and keep my stuff together and see what the new MacPro brings.

I think it’s time for me to go back to desktop land.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gay Retard posted:

I'd also like to point out that your overheating issue seems extremely unique. Did you ever take it to the Apple store?

That's what I'm thinking. I had 2017 15" for a little over a month and while it did get a little warm sometimes it was nothing really noticable. Granted I want using it for anything strenuous, mostly xcode and a web browser with multiple tabs open including YouTube.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

landgrabber posted:

i mean jony ive is hailed as the Design Genious or whatever when at the height of his career he was just doing the "change my homework slightly so the teacher doesn't find out" meme to dieter rams's poo poo

Right? He needs to go back to that mine, that stuff was his best work.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't know who designed the iPhone X, but design-wise, it's my favorite since the iPhone 4. I guess I just really like stainless steel bands and glass backs.

I hated the iPhone 6. Cheap metal with gross antenna lines.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Gay Retard posted:

I don't know who designed the iPhone X, but design-wise, it's my favorite since the iPhone 4. I guess I just really like stainless steel bands and glass backs.

:same: the X is a design high point for the iPhone.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

landgrabber posted:

you guys can gaze at literally any other laptop manufacturer's computers and think thegrass is greener all you want but like. for the hundreds of things i'd change about apple laptops, they're still miles ahead of everyone else in terms of manufacturing computers i wouldn't be embarassed to be seen somewhere with, in addition to being like pretty much the only company to have the balls to do away with all external plastic.

It's not about Apple vs Dell, its about new Apple vs old Apple.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The iPhone X is absolutely the best portable computing device I have ever used. The moment it hits your hand it just feels really good, and a lot of that is down to the materials and construction. The 5S was the previous high mark, but the X is basically a perfect device.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gay Retard posted:

I haven't seen an actual iPhone body since the 3GS because I've always had them in a case. But you do you.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Imagine being embarassed being seen with a Thinkpad or XPS lol

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Wheeee posted:

some people use computers for things other than looking at text editors all day and using apps to usher forth the further hellworld actually

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Wheeee posted:

Caring when people use the wrong type of tech thing and projecting that back onto yourself is a foundational component of posting culture.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Theophany posted:

It's kind of hilarious, really. Drop a hex core i9 K series chip into something as Thin And LightTM as a MacBook Pro - who is the bigger dummy: the people that actually made it happen or the people that bought it an expected Apple to have rewritten the laws of thermodynamics?
I am going to go out on a limb and say it's the people who designed the computer and not the people who bought it for multiple thousands of dollars and expected it to function as a "pro" machine

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Truth of the matter as a publisher I really don’t like the new laptops because of the keyboards. The most intense program I use is photoshop. When I thought I could get 2010 pro working as my next laptop I was stoked, even without a retina screen. Truth is all laptops are compromises to desktops though. iMac 5k is my main machine and it’s the best computer I’ve ever owned. I would go chromebook for those 3 or four weeks out of the year when I’m in the road, but my publishing software is Mac OS exclusive. So I’m left hoping a 13 inch MacBook comes out this fall, and lugging around a magic keyboard, or giving up publishing those 4 weeks, and just edit/write stuff on a chromebook for half the price. Ugh.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

BobHoward posted:

You don't doubt that because you are just assuming that it must be so much hotter than an i7. But it's not. The i9-8950HK is rated by Intel as a 45W TDP (Thermal Design Power) processor. That's exactly the same TDP as every CPU Apple has ever shipped in a 15" retina MBP, going all the way back to the original 2012 models.

For Intel, 45W TDP is a promise to systems integrators (eg Apple) that, so long as they design their cooling system to handle a continuous 45W thermal load, a 45W TDP CPU will not throttle below its base clock frequency. (*) This means that actually, Apple didn't need to change a thing. That's the point of Intel's last 8-ish years of designs, particularly in the notebook space. Intel doesn't want to force systems integrators to do very much in order to keep up with Intel's desired ~1yr refresh cycle, it's to Intel's benefit if they can just keep basically the same chassis and slide a new CPU/logic board in, so Intel keeps TDP values for each class of notebook fairly constant. It's on Intel to figure out how to improve the performance possible inside that fixed thermal budget.

Over the years, carefully done tests (eg Anandtech when Anand was still running it) have shown that Apple has done quite a good job of building a thin and light chassis which cools a 45W TDP CPU well enough that it shouldn't throttle. Simultaneous heavy discrete GPU load is another thing, but just the CPU by itself should be fine, despite all the people trying to dunk on Apple ITT because haw haw, so thin AND USELESS AMIRITE???
I'll admit I don't have any expertise in this part of hardware at all so maybe you can clarify.

TDP doesn't mean the i9 doesn't run as hot. The i9 can generate more heat, but all the TDP rating is saying is, "dissipate enough heat down to X number of Watts and we can guarantee it won't throttle." So Apple, or any other hardware manufacturer is the one who has to design to make sure their laptops are doing its job cooling the CPU.

Assuming I am correct about that, to me, it seems like the i9 can generating more heat and the responsibility of dissipating heat is on the hardware company. So Apple and Dell have to make sure it meets those requirements, and not Intel itself.

So it's on Dell for that XPS and it's on Apple for the MBP to check that their cooling system could handle the i9. It seems like people who bother to buy an i9 for the power of the i9 are exactly the same people who are going to hit these issues.

We'll have to see further if it really is an issue (so far more confirms about Premiere on Twitter). But if true, Apple should definitely get a lot of flack about not doing some basic check that their laptop design can handle the i9. I mean that thing is pretty expensive and it has these issues? They were so worried about DDR4 RAM using too much power but they don't do this check? Seems either sloppy or lazy

Linguica posted:

I am going to go out on a limb and say it's the people who designed the computer and not the people who bought it for multiple thousands of dollars and expected it to function as a "pro" machine

Yeah to me the biggest issue is if a normal user buys this, they should expect it to just be the fastest thing possible for doing their tasks. Which is why I think if this is really an issue Apple should get a lot of flack for it.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 18, 2018

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
You're taking the wrong idea and running with it. Intel's definition is directly below the post you quoted.

quote:

Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

This isn't talking about temperature, it's talking about power (energy flow). 45 Watts means 45 Joules of energy per second.

In short, a 45 Watt TDP essentially means the processor will should be generating 45 Joules of waste energy every second, and you should be able to make that energy disappear. If you don't, the processor will retain that energy and get hotter and hotter.

It'd be weird to have a standard that said "you need to make all but 45 Joules disappear each second", both from a physics standpoint and a design standpoint.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-n...5.317264.0.html

XPS just stomping all over

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

redeyes posted:

You had a component fail on the logic board. Either send it to https://www.rossmanngroup.com/ or time for a new machine. The failure was coincidental with the update.

FYI — I schlepped my way over to these guys today with my 2013 and they just shook their heads sadly at me. “There’s no fix for that.”

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I guess I'll stick with my non-throttling 2016's :smug:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

So here’s my question. I see the i9 is like bullet time. How does the i7 perform in comparison to last years model and dealing with down clocking?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone really think running the cpu near 100c is good for a logic board?! These machines are going to loving die with heavy use.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

FYI — I schlepped my way over to these guys today with my 2013 and they just shook their heads sadly at me. “There’s no fix for that.”

I fix macs and I have a decent idea if things are fixable or not, even if I can't do it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redeyes posted:

Does anyone really think running the cpu near 100c is good for a logic board?! These machines are going to loving die with heavy use.

The boards are built to withstand that heat.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is the OP still correct about going for official refurb? I start classes in a couple months and my film editing prof suggested I get an apple laptop to run Final Cut 10, with as much processing power as I can afford and as much RAM as options allow. Also to get some student option for a free discount and warranty? Do their refurbs have that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You can’t combine student discount with the purchase of a refurb, but you can get a student discount on the AppleCare for a refurb.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

The boards are built to withstand that heat.

The components are not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

got any sevens posted:

Is the OP still correct about going for official refurb? I start classes in a couple months and my film editing prof suggested I get an apple laptop to run Final Cut 10, with as much processing power as I can afford and as much RAM as options allow. Also to get some student option for a free discount and warranty? Do their refurbs have that?

Official refurbs are excellent and 100% worth buying. Everything you touch and see is new, the battery is new, and they go through individual QC.

That said, only 2016-2017’s are going to be in the refurb store right now and Apple just released 2018 models with up-to-date processors and more available RAM this week. You may find a deal that’s just as good as refurb pricing on a new 2017 model from another seller (BH Photo, Best Buy, etc).

Also Apple’s student discount (which is available year-round) + free headphones deal (available until September) doesn’t apply to refurbs. Depending on what you find/how you spec it, a discounted 2018 MBP + Beats (you can sell them if you don’t want them) might be as cheap as a refurb from last year so look around.

I think the refurb store is best shopped ~6 months after an update, when the current generation models end up in the store. Apple has a very straightforward policy around pricing refurbs (15-20% off retail, + more for older models IIRC) so shopping right now would net you a 2017 model with the same price that you’ll probably see 2018 equivalents going for come January.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redeyes posted:

The components are not.

Lol yes they are.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

Lol yes they are.

Nope.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is there a huge jump from 2017 to 2018 or is it just a usual yearly power creep

Also someone mentioned don't get the macbook pro, whats the difference?

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 19, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Is there a huge jump from 2017 to 2018 or is it just a usual yearly power creep

Also someone mentioned don't get the macbook pro, whats the difference?

It seems like a bigger jump than usual of late. Also the keyboard that everyone’s been complaining about was supposedly fixed a bit.

Also, you absolutely need a MacBook Pro if you plan on running Final Cut. They were referring to getting a MacBook or MacBook Air, neither of which will really cut the mustard for what you seem to be looking for. The other alternative is to look at the Windows space if you can make do with only running Premiere. Alternatively you can use a desktop like an iMac or desktop PC and have a better time doing video work if you don’t need a notebook.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Thanks! I went to the apple store since it was on way home, guy said the new laptops came out a week ago and they have a 13" macbook pro with a 2.3 quad core, 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd for $1799 new (then subtract $100 for student discount, plus the headphones i cant use)

He said the quad core is new so refurbs m
wont have them and they make a big difference

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I’m sure all the hardware engineers just chose parts at random.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Thanks! I went to the apple store since it was on way home, guy said the new laptops came out a week ago and they have a 13" macbook pro with a 2.3 quad core, 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd for $1799 new (then subtract $100 for student discount, plus the headphones i cant use)

He said the quad core is new so refurbs m
wont have them and they make a big difference

This is true. 13”s were dual core only until this refresh. 15” models now have six-core cpus available but there appears to be some debate ongoing about whether they’re a good fit or not. Keep in mind that 13” models come with integrated graphics while the 15” come with discrete AMD gpus as well. YMMV on what’s good for your needs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is true. 13”s were dual core only until this refresh. 15” models now have six-core cpus available but there appears to be some debate ongoing about whether they’re a good fit or not. Keep in mind that 13” models come with integrated graphics while the 15” come with discrete AMD gpus as well. YMMV on what’s good for your needs.

What's the difference?
If price was the same, would you prefer a refurb 15" with quad or a new 13" ?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know a bunch of people are pissed about the 15” i9 throttling, but I’m confident I’m going to be pretty happy with a 13” quad-core with 16GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD after using a MacBook Air since 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yes, you will enjoy it, Gay Retard.