Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Metalshark posted:

Ok, this is cool: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/peter-parker-as-the-punisher-and-more-marvel-what-ifs-coming-this-fall

Domino having Major Kusanagi's hair in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is incredible. :pusheen:

Miniseries giving lesser characters a chance and fun projects like this are an excellent direction to take.

Also, echoing the X-23 love. Just a fantastic comic, and some of the little touches in the art and lettering really set it apart beyond it having an intriguing plot and compelling characterisation.

huh i just vibrated off my chair for some reason, weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

exe men?!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cable will protect his /men directory at any cost.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Hey, we can have 2 Hawkeyes and 2 Spider-Men, why not 2 Spider-Women?

There was like 3 Spider-Women before the Gwen Stacy one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

it sucks trying to find an omnibus after its release. I managed to find Fraction's Hawkeye and FF at a con for decent prices, but that's about it.

Target's website is good if you're trying to get new ones. Got the GMo Batman one for $45, and the Seven Soldiers one will be the same price in August, compared to $63 or so everywhere else on a $75 cover price.

Sometime they overprint past what people will buy to a hilarious degree. I paid less than forty bucks for the X-Statix omni, MSRP was like 75 I think. Best birthday present since the N64 came out and I got it for myself.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Has there been a comic where Gwen Stacy becomes Spider-man I type out like an idiot.

Harry Osborne?

The upcoming Spider-geddon is going to have a Norman Spider-Man

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Tamaki is real good and she can absolutely do lots of differing tones. I think people got worried because of the covers and the fact that her She-Hulk book was about trauma survival, but it also had cute stuff like Jen's coping mechanism being watching baking videos on YouTube.

I never read her she hulk, but the cover and the name regression had me somewhat worried, but as soon as I saw that the book was about Gabby and Laura on a mission, I was pretty sold.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the name regression was prob editorial mandate, but it's a shame they couldn't have at least come up with a new name for laura if they absolutely had to take wolverine from her

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Honey Badger guest starring X23.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is weird.
https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1019196631906955264

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nah, it's been in the works for almost two years. I think I posted about it in the old thread. First IDW got all those Disney licenses, then the SW kiddie book. Those have been very well received and this is "phase 3" of that plan. Nobody at Marvel proper wants to do all ages stuff and IDW thrives at it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Nah, it's been in the works for almost two years. I think I posted about it in the old thread. First IDW got all those Disney licenses, then the SW kiddie book. Those have been very well received and this is "phase 3" of that plan. Nobody at Marvel proper wants to do all ages stuff and IDW thrives at it.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT WEIRD RHYNO

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Look, just give me a Dazzler/Jem crossover and I'll be fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT WEIRD RHYNO

Why is it weird? Marvel proper is clearly not equipped to do all ages books properly. Idw is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is it going to be in continuity with the main line? Like I'm not expecting it to crossover with the next event book or whatever, but is it going to be a separate universe like Ultimate or Marvel Adventures?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Skwirl posted:

Is it going to be in continuity with the main line? Like I'm not expecting it to crossover with the next event book or whatever, but is it going to be a separate universe like Ultimate or Marvel Adventures?

I'm guessing separate universe because it would be really loving weird to have another comic book company do stories that were in the same universe. Just my take.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The IDW Star Wars series is in-continuity with the Marvel books but that doesn't mean the new Marvel kiddie stuff will be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
shuri getting her own book :discourse:

https://twitter.com/Nnedi/status/1019256750774652928?s=19

site fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 17, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Marvel 2099 - A Fresh Start IDW Takin' Our Jobs

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lobok posted:

Marvel 2099 - A Fresh Start IDW Takin' Our Jerbs

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gaz-L posted:

Look, just give me a Dazzler/Jem crossover and I'll be fine.

Things you never knew you wanted until 30 seconds ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Early "What If?" could have easily been re-titled "Holy poo poo, Bullet Dodged" instead.

One that always stuck out in my mind was if Punisher accidentally killed Daredevil, which leads to every street level super in Manhattan dying, along with the Kingpin (with a bonus of Aunt May's house being blown up by a rocket launcher).

Another was what if Spider-Man and Black Cat kept dating, which naturally led to Spidey and Silver Sable getting married.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Rhyno posted:

I've long warned people not to snooze on any OSHC they might be interested in. Just looking at the pricing history on so many Marvel Omnis is enough to make me preorder any and all books I'm even vaguely interested in.

I'm definitely not making the same mistake again - I'm picking up the second volume now.

Turns out UK Amazon still has plenty of new copies of Vol. 1 at a reasonable price, so that worked out, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good call, I'm currently going through my collection and looking for books I have missed and cringing when I see pricing on a few items.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

One that always stuck out in my mind was if Punisher accidentally killed Daredevil, which leads to every street level super in Manhattan dying, along with the Kingpin (with a bonus of Aunt May's house being blown up by a rocket launcher).

I’ve told it before but there are several reasons that one single, weird, pretty good book is my favorite single issue of all time. One is that it was one of the first comics I ever bought with money I earned myself off the end rack at a Walgreens down the street. Two is that it was my first of any kind of alternate universe story and basically introduced to me what an alternate universe was. It showed me that you really could do and get away with any kind of story. Three goes back to it being a pretty good issue! Have I read hundreds of better single issues including other What Ifs? For sure. But that one random comic I picked up for the hell of it really made me see comics in a different way. It also fueled a lifelong obsession with alternate universe stories in general. You never know what comic is going to have an effect on you. And yes, I still own that same floppy I bought off the rack to this day. One of the few floppies I own since I went to digital/trade.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 17, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

I’ve told it before but there are several reasons that one single, weird, pretty good book is my favorite single issue of all time. One is that it was one of the first comics I ever bought with money I earned myself off the end rack at a Walgreens down the street. Two is that it was my first of any kind of alternate universe story and basically introduced to me what an alternate universe was. It showed me that you really could do and get away with any kind of story. Three goes back to it being a pretty good issue! Have I read hundreds of better single issues including other What Ifs? For sure. But that one random comic I picked up for the hell of it really made me see comics in a different way. It also fueled a lifelong obsession with alternate universe stories in general. You never know what comic is going to have an effect on you. And yes, I still own that same floppy I bought off the rack to this day. One of the few floppies I own since I went to digital/trade.

Oh, yeah. It was entertaining. For some reason I had a small run of What If from around the time that also featured:

Silver Surfer joining the FF: Reed leaves Sue for Namor. No, not actually. What actually happens is the FF goes to hell, Johnny is burned alive by Mephisto and Surfer remains to torment Mephisto with his pure soul for all eternity.
Wolverine was lord of the vampires: Remember when X-Men fought Dracula? Yeah, he turns the X-Men here, Wolverine kills him and takes over most of the Marvel supers die either by Wolverine killing them, the Punisher using Stephen Strange's magic items, or stuff like the Mindless Ones invading. TPK.
What If the MU lost Atlantis Attacks: You might remember Atlantis Attacks as about Atlanteans summoning Set the primordial snake god. When you actually summon said primordial snake god, things go south very quickly. TPK. Also Set's brood escape into the multiverse but I don't think anything came of it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Metalshark posted:

Ok, this is cool: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/peter-parker-as-the-punisher-and-more-marvel-what-ifs-coming-this-fall

Domino having Major Kusanagi's hair in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is incredible. :pusheen:

Miniseries giving lesser characters a chance and fun projects like this are an excellent direction to take.

Also, echoing the X-23 love. Just a fantastic comic, and some of the little touches in the art and lettering really set it apart beyond it having an intriguing plot and compelling characterisation.

I like Cable as Old Snake from MGS4.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Why is it weird? Marvel proper is clearly not equipped to do all ages books properly. Idw is.

Why though? Does IDW have all the good kids' writers locked into exclusivity contracts or does Marvel just see their brand as too grown up to be publishing stories for kids?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Why though? Does IDW have all the good kids' writers locked into exclusivity contracts or does Marvel just see their brand as too grown up to be publishing stories for kids?

IDW does the best job with All Ages books on the market. Marvel already have existing agreements with them on other properties. Plus Disney has a working relationship with IDW for the Disney Toon and Star Wars books. If you have a relationship with a company that does the best work in a demo that sometimes is hard for you to reach it would be foolish not to utilize it. I'm actually surprised it took them this long. Marvel Age/Adventures were a long time go and were legit good books (Seriously they're up on Unlimited now, Spider-Man is the best but they're all worth reading), but not a lot of people read them. The deal with IDW will put them in the place where they can be done right and even has the potential of attracting some creators that might not otherwise fit or be ready for a main line Marvel book. I see no way this isn't advantageous for them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So apparently the Milania Vaynthrub Squirrel Girl character is animated. On the plus side it includes Spider-Gwen. For some reason I thought it was a live action show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

IDW does the best job with All Ages books on the market. Marvel already have existing agreements with them on other properties. Plus Disney has a working relationship with IDW for the Disney Toon and Star Wars books. If you have a relationship with a company that does the best work in a demo that sometimes is hard for you to reach it would be foolish not to utilize it. I'm actually surprised it took them this long. Marvel Age/Adventures were a long time go and were legit good books (Seriously they're up on Unlimited now, Spider-Man is the best but they're all worth reading), but not a lot of people read them. The deal with IDW will put them in the place where they can be done right and even has the potential of attracting some creators that might not otherwise fit or be ready for a main line Marvel book. I see no way this isn't advantageous for them.

This. All of this. IDW is the best all-ages publisher in the industry. Their AA bookstore presence is fantastic and they add licenses to their library constantly. A lot of people are taking this as another positive hint that Disney is going to acquire IDW at some point.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gatts posted:

So apparently the Milania Vaynthrub Squirrel Girl character is animated. On the plus side it includes Spider-Gwen. For some reason I thought it was a live action show.
Vayntrub's doing both, assuming New Warriors ever finds a home.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Squirrel Girl should just be in Kamala's movie as her best friend.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gavok posted:

8) Electro figures out that Daredevil is blind. It... actually has a happy ending! Crazy, since regular Daredevil comics are usually super depressing.
Fixed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is my surprised face, but also yay
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1019588278175948800

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well. If you insist.

Related to Thompson, got the Rogue & Gambit trade and it's excellent. Really hypes one up for Mr. & Mrs. X.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The followup on how jj is gonna work is kinda interesting

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1019590740416950272?s=19

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That sounds like an interesting and smart way to do comics that might sell to demographics who are turned off by floppies, but still want to read things that are current.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, that *is* a thing I will be buying right now as I make my weekly digital purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

The followup on how jj is gonna work is kinda interesting

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1019590740416950272?s=19

I know the brick & mortar stores always get brought up in discussions of changing the distribution model but each of these three points is something I've wanted for comics in general for quite a while. Each piece of the story is larger, the collected trade can come out faster, and there's time out between "stories" so that readers can use the same amount of time and dollars to read something else while they wait.