Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Odddzy posted:

To be fair, I'd be weary of rolling with an amateur that feels the need to take steroids. If the Roids are to get gym taps and getting swole I'd be worried the guy does it to manage his ego and rolling actively bruises ego and puts partners in danger.

Yup. I'd be leery as hell because recreational 'roids come from ego, and ego in training gets people hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hi I'm a new fight promoter and my debut card features cortxbomb vs willie_dee.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm the main event, the main attraction, the British brawler, straight outta the uk. 170, 185, let's trade, meet me in the centre of the ring.

(I watch this HL video on repeat before doing mma training/use a sun bed: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mxai )

But in all seriousness, I'm a white belt, most blue belts who have any sense of no gi can tap me fairly easily, you wouldn't want to see me roll against anyone who had done any actual bjj training for over 12 months.

My goal within the next year is to be blue belt competitive now I'm a decent weight for my height, which means going consistently to a mma gym instead of loving around.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Rolling with guys on TRT or stronger PEDs doesn't really bother me at all. Ton and tons of dudes are on TRT these days even hobbyists. I bet a lot of you have rolled against dudes on TRT and didn't even know it. Also if you compete at the highest levels of grappling more dudes use PEDs than don't use PEDs. Just look at some adult black belt podiums some time. I don't use them and have never used them and don't feel limited by that since I'm not competing at Mundials or ADCC. It does help that I'm strong with a very very fast recovery time.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'd hate to be much past 40, suffering from low t, and rolling with young guys, it must be horrifically debilitating. TRT must be a God send to those who want to stay active such a medical circumstance.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm almost 50 and think I'm still ok T level wise although I've never had it measured:
me recently after ending a years long hiatus from lifting:

Still have an ffmi in the mid-23s though not 25+ anymore.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Hi I'm a new fight promoter and my debut card features cortxbomb vs willie_dee.

My first opponent I would want to be Neon Belly, the guys friendly, polite, good natured, above my level in terms of bjj but has 0 striking and very little no gi. He also got pure mugged off by some guy in his gym a bit back so I feel I could gain the psychological edge.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

I'm almost 50 and think I'm still ok T level wise although I've never had it measured:

Goddamn, av text isn't lying :corsair:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

So when'd you start jits? Mid 30's?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Yuns posted:

Yup I'm guessing your T levels are more than fine if your above 5'7.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Goddamn, av text isn't lying :corsair:
I asked Fistgrrl for that text back when I was in my early 30s and thought I was old as poo poo then. Holy crap, I've been on the forum almost 18 years. My forum account is almost old enough to vote.

Defenestrategy posted:

So when'd you start jits? Mid 30's?
Yup mid-30s. Black belt now and about to get my first stripe on it.

willie_dee posted:

Yup I'm guessing your T levels are more than fine if your above 5'7.
Yes, I'm taller than 5'7" but not by a lot.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 17, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Yuns posted:

Yup mid-30s. Black belt now and about to get my first stripe on it.
Yes, I'm taller than 5'7" but not by a lot.

It's interesting that you kept size without lifting and still rolling I assume? Did you keep the majority of your strength?

The opposite seems to happen to me, if I'm not actively trying to get stronger and if I roll more than once a week the weight falls off me very rapidly because I'm doing cardioish stuff. I can drop from 185lbs to 170 in 3 weeks by simply not lifting and doing a lot of boxing, it's very frustrating.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

willie_dee posted:

It's interesting that you kept size without lifting and still rolling I assume? Did you keep the majority of your strength?

The opposite seems to happen to me, if I'm not actively trying to get stronger and if I roll more than once a week the weight falls off me very rapidly because I'm doing cardioish stuff. I can drop from 185lbs to 170 in 3 weeks by simply not lifting and doing a lot of boxing, it's very frustrating.
I did lose quite a bit of mass from my powerlifting days (about 20 lbs of muscle from my peak) especially as my hiatus was because of a serious neck injury. But I was relatively big then so I still have a lot of retained muscle just from rolling. My strength is also off about 30% to 40% off my maximum lifts but that is more or less expected. I hope to put on 10 more lbs of muscle and get back more than half of my strength losses. But I will never again be 26.5 ffmi. I think a lot of this is purely a genetic lottery.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 17, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

willie_dee posted:

My first opponent I would want to be Neon Belly, the guys friendly, polite, good natured, above my level in terms of bjj but has 0 striking and very little no gi. He also got pure mugged off by some guy in his gym a bit back so I feel I could gain the psychological edge.

I did a Muay Thai private lesson once where I gave myself a fat lip while holding pads, thank you very much.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you've never gotten distracted holding pads and eaten one in the mouth because of that - you never done noth'in.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

If you've never gotten distracted holding pads and eaten one in the mouth because of that - you never done noth'in.

Ive never gotten jacked in the jaw, but I have gotten punched in the fingers doing speed drills by getting sloppy and tired holding mitts, and brother that is a really bad experience.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
More that they hit the pad then the pad hits you in the mouth because you were thinking about chicken or something.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Lol if your not blind with panic because the guy hitting pads may kill you or break your arm if he misses.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Lol if your not blind with panic because the guy hitting pads may kill you or break your arm if he misses.

usually this when the serious dudes are at your station followed by

Xguard86 posted:

More that they hit the pad then the pad hits you in the mouth because you were thinking about chicken or something.

when the barely trying cardio-boxer wings arm punches at you

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I pulled my calf badly while standing still and holding pads.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The effort involved in holding pads was a surprise to me when I started muay thai, but its so useful for both yourself and your partner in a variety of ways. Totally worth it.

And yeah my own knuckle in the eyeball when one of the guys who was going light decided I wasn't giving him enough feedback.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Our muay thai instructors require their students to be good pad holders and partners as well as skilled at muay thai before they will be moved to the advanced classes. It's occasionally caused some whining from people who are decent at muay thai but are poor partners.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

when the barely trying cardio-boxer wings arm punches at you

If I feel one of my partners is being lazy I start pushing them. I think the fact that I'm so unthreatening allows me to be able to get away with cheekily calling a GB Olympic boxer lazy and weak or Bellator fighters fat and slow. They wouldnt fet away with it with their coaches so why let them be lazy. If anyone takes it offensively then one day I may be in trouble.

They often point out that I'm poo poo, but my go to line is do as I say not as I do.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Yuns posted:

Our muay thai instructors require their students to be good pad holders and partners as well as skilled at muay thai before they will be moved to the advanced classes. It's occasionally caused some whining from people who are decent at muay thai but are poor partners.

That's a good policy.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You're bizarre

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Yuns posted:

This is basically how we do also. If you can't hold pads then you need to learn.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think boxing needs a kata section where trainer and fighter do a coreographed sequence of pad work.

Maybe in the ring before fights like how MT fighters do.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Although I've done BJJ for 4 years now, I've stepped onto the mats for a wrestling class for the first time yesterday. It went pretty well but my ribs are sore. We had to do some par terre defenses against an opponent but I didn't really get what I had to do. I could get out by wrestling up but I was told to stay on the mat and let the other guy work which sounded kinda unrealistic as I didn't really understand how staying on the floor was defending. Is there use to that position outside of pure wrestling? I legitimately curious.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I think boxing needs a kata section where trainer and fighter do a coreographed sequence of pad work.

That's basically what Floyd does with his uncle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXr1dqNqam8&t=778s

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yuns posted:

Yeah pads basically force you to also be a trainer and to work from the other side as it were. It's good for your overall attitude, fitness and skill set.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The forced discipline of pad work is great as it requires focus even when you're tired as hell, that accountability of the other person standing in front of you is really nice for mental training. I find it's too easy to just zone out as you get tired when you do bagwork or other drills.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Odddzy posted:

Although I've done BJJ for 4 years now, I've stepped onto the mats for a wrestling class for the first time yesterday. It went pretty well but my ribs are sore. We had to do some par terre defenses against an opponent but I didn't really get what I had to do. I could get out by wrestling up but I was told to stay on the mat and let the other guy work which sounded kinda unrealistic as I didn't really understand how staying on the floor was defending. Is there use to that position outside of pure wrestling? I legitimately curious.

Even pure grappling (anything no striking) has turtling as a defense. You're minimizing how you can get picked up / moved around.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

kimbo305 posted:

Even pure grappling (anything no striking) has turtling as a defense. You're minimizing how you can get picked up / moved around.

Oh sure, I'm familiar with the turtle position, but I use it to wrestle back up or work on my own sweep from that position. In the context of Parterre it sounds like I have to stay on the ground and not really defend, just close myself up and wish I didn't get rolled. I think it's specific to the rulesets of judo and wrestling where you get stood back up if no action happens after a while maybe? No idea.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Interesting rule set from video in the UFC thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rged6ObQidQ
https://www.karate.com/wp-content/uploads/official-full-contact-karate-unified-rules-and-regulations-.pdf
code:
a) Scoring advantage will be given to aggressive fighters who attempt to strike more often with greater impact than their opponent. Proper
Karate techniques that have immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute towards the end of the match.
b) Effective kicking and advanced techniques will be weighed more heavily than effective punching techniques.
c) Offensive techniques will be weighed more heavily than defensive techniques.

a) Arm techniques
b) Foot techniques

No elbows or knees
No low kicks between the knee and the hip

d) Clinching the opponent is allowed only when followed by immediate action such as a throw. Any clinching that is performed to limit one’s
opponent's action will be deemed a foul. Penalties can be issued while the action is going on.

e) A fighter is considered grounded (downed) when:
i) Both hands or fists are placed on the floor of the PIT
ii) Both hands or fists are placed on the wall of the PIT with the fighter completely facing the wall of the PIT
iii) The fighter back is against the PIT floor

When an opponent is grounded only Arm techniques can be executed by the non-grounded competitor.

c) Takedowns
i) Leg sweep
ii) Throwing opponents with one or two hands
iii) Single leg takedowns (one or two hands must always control the opponent’s body)

5s to hit opponent (with punches) grounded by takedown before a standup.
No double legs, unclear on reaps in conjunction with hands.

LOL on banned techniques:
xi) Uppercuts
xvi) Striking with an open hand technique (except ridge hand strike)
Pretty decent ruleset to produce karate style and tactics, I think. No thigh kicks means you have a chance of wading in there with punches.
Enough clinch and throw liberty to keep the action from stalling out. No uppercuts is interesting. Kind of a boxer limiter, I guess.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
No leg kicks no sale, fucker.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Novum posted:

No leg kicks no sale, fucker.

You can still do the latest craze -- calf kicks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Karate Combat is both goofy and highly enjoyable to watch.

Just like WCL back in the day.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Hi guys. I'm thinking about going to some tai chi type classes. I'm hoping it will improve my balance and coordination a bit, and at the very least should be relaxing.

As far as I'm able to google, it seems like qigong is more spiritual and (alternatively) medicinal, and taijiquan has more of an emphasis on practical balance and similar. Is that right, and beyond that, what do the different schools and traditions focus on? I'm based in London, so there's a huge range of options.

I'm not interested in combat or sport, but also not really into the woo side (it doesn't offend me, just not my thing). I basically want something that will a) be relaxing, and b) help me be more aware of my body.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Enderby posted:

Hi guys. I'm thinking about going to some tai chi type classes. I'm hoping it will improve my balance and coordination a bit, and at the very least should be relaxing.

As far as I'm able to google, it seems like qigong is more spiritual and (alternatively) medicinal, and taijiquan has more of an emphasis on practical balance and similar. Is that right, and beyond that, what do the different schools and traditions focus on? I'm based in London, so there's a huge range of options.

I'm not interested in combat or sport, but also not really into the woo side (it doesn't offend me, just not my thing). I basically want something that will a) be relaxing, and b) help me be more aware of my body.

Qigong is 95% woo and 5% cool body tricks. Find Tai Chi or better yet Yoga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yoga is cool