Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
It's actually even worse because the median is so much worse than the average. For example, balances at Vanguard is average 103k but median 26k (src: https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonindexed/HAS18_062018.pdf page 51)

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol, we are so hosed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know DOZENS of people who use this data as a reason not to contribute to retirement accounts

"Nobody is saving enough so the government is gonna raid all the accounts to pay out more SS to those who didn't save. I don't want to work hard to save money just so it'll get taken away and redistributed"

This is American exceptionalism at work. JFC so many of us are so loving stupid.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Motronic posted:

This is American exceptionalism at work. JFC so many of us are so loving stupid.

Ahahahahahahaaha yeah, America's getting ready to help poor people. Sure man. Because there haven't been poor old people before.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know DOZENS of people who use this data as a reason not to contribute to retirement accounts

"Nobody is saving enough so the government is gonna raid all the accounts to pay out more SS to those who didn't save. I don't want to work hard to save money just so it'll get taken away and redistributed"

Similar excuses for not contributing to Kiwisaver in New Zealand. Although I believe that justification is just an excuse. I don't think people are willing to sacrifice lifestyle (or in many cases are working poor with no spare cash after bills) to put away money for retirement. A lot of people in New Zealand are on "contribution holidays" which means they've stopped put in money and stop for years. Those with a mortgage and kids often can't afford to contribute, and that's after using the Kiwisaver money they did have to help pay for the house. Nothing like depleting your retirement savings to buy a debt obligation for 30 years.

We're in for decades of everything becoming increasingly poo poo for the majority.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Onion articles practically write themselves: "Americans shocked that having voted against the safety net, government tells the destitute to go gently caress themselves."

"Local man confused when no one gives him money after being evicted from home. 'I got all these tax cuts, I thought there'd be so much more money for charity,' he mumbles while panhandling for scraps."

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Until governments start taxing wealth on top of income, there is no reason not to keep putting money in retirement accounts. And, unfortunately, I don't see any future where that will happen any time soon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kw0134 posted:

The Onion articles practically write themselves: "Americans shocked that having voted against the safety net, government tells the destitute to go gently caress themselves."

"Local man confused when no one gives him money after being evicted from home. 'I got all these tax cuts, I thought there'd be so much more money for charity,' he mumbles while panhandling for scraps."

"Why are they giving money to those people, when hard working people like me deserve it so much more?"

No, sorry, my mistake. That's just people I'm related to on facebook.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This seems less likely than more and easier ways to get money out of these accounts without paying any taxes on it at all.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I guess the "retirement accounts are going to be raided for taxes" crowd were somewhat validated when the Trump administration floated the idea as a political stunt? But lol no, that wasn't going to fund social security.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

I guess the "retirement accounts are going to be raided for taxes" crowd were somewhat validated when the Trump administration floated the idea as a political stunt? But lol no, that wasn't going to fund social security.

Did they actually float the idea of raiding individual retirement accounts? I know they were looking at reducing the contribution limits to :fuckoff: levels.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Oneiros posted:

Did they actually float the idea of raiding individual retirement accounts? I know they were looking at reducing the contribution limits to :fuckoff: levels.

You're right. That was the change considered. My bad.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Why do you need to put money into a 401K when you could just follow Paul Ryan's step to success?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
It is a commonly known fact that poor people will find money in the ground and say to themselves "hold on, I should let a rich person pick that up". Paul Ryan really nailed it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
BWM: being poor and living in NYC on a $25/hour job.

GWM: only paying for Netflix and bikini waxes and getting mom and dad to pay for everything else.

https://www.refinery29.com/amp/money-diary-new-york-city-marketing-intern-income?__twitter_impression=true

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

boop the snoot posted:

GWM: only paying for Netflix and bikini waxes and getting mom and dad to pay for everything else.

https://www.refinery29.com/amp/money-diary-new-york-city-marketing-intern-income?__twitter_impression=true

Nope, mom and dad pay for Netflix too.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hmm. Working hard should be a first step, really. And stop making poor choices as a close runner-up.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
$1k allowance? Let's see there.

-Parents give her $800, grandpa gives her $300.
-Parents pay $2100 rent.
-Parents pay at minimum $300 per month insurance.
-Prime, Amazon, and Spotify are parents' accounts, that's roughly another $40.

So that's a $3540 monthly allowance at least, tax free.

AND SHE'S HAVING PANIC ATTACKS.

As I said in another thread this woman popped up in, guillotine her twice.

edit: #blessed #HamptonsPrices

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 18, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like to work hard (on my carpentry skills) and make good decisions (such as heavy stainless steel blades over inferior aluminum blades, and weather-resistant coated steel cables over outdated rope)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

quote:

I stop by Whole Foods to pick up a bottle of cold brew to keep at the office. It's the easiest way for me to not spend too much on coffee. $6.99

Jesus.

Those money diaries also show me diary entries of other countries right next to that NYC one. BWM: Not being born American, I guess.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I spent $5.50 on a cup of coffee a few days ago in Topeka, KS.

Probably the biggest BWM moment I’ve had in like a decade but it was so delicious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

boop the snoot posted:

Probably the biggest BWM moment I’ve had in like a decade but it was so delicious.

:homebrew: :vince:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

$210/month Equinox membership. Also daily trips to Whole Foods for $7 cold brew coffee (which she thinks is money saving somehow?) How about making a drip pot of Chock Full O Nuts and tossing it in the fridge overnight?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

boop the snoot posted:

I spent $5.50 on
a cup
of coffee
a few days ago
in Topeka, KS.

Probably the
biggest BWM
moment
I’ve had in
like a decade

but it was so delicious.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

boop the snoot posted:

I wanted to say that 50ishk/yr in NYC and being "poor" is probably only half BWM - NYC is expensive, so more challenging to make 50k/yr work, depending on circumstances (student loans, etc.)

But then

Nail Rat posted:

So that's a $3540 monthly allowance at least, tax free.

That's basically another 60k/yr W2 wages on top, so her actual income is more like 110k/yr. What's that guillotine emoji, gently caress her.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sock The Great posted:

$210/month Equinox membership. Also daily trips to Whole Foods for $7 cold brew coffee (which she thinks is money saving somehow?) How about making a drip pot of Chock Full O Nuts and tossing it in the fridge overnight?

$210 a month for a gym?! How is that even possible? What do you get for your money at a place like that? Unlimited sponge baths? Handjobs on demand?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bad With Money 2018: I run to the toilet and puke up all the yogurt I ate

e: Why does she keep calling her perfectly normal dinners 'random'

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 18, 2018

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Hutzpah posted:

$210 a month for a gym?! How is that even possible? What do you get for your money at a place like that? Unlimited sponge baths? Handjobs on demand?

If I had to guess, I'd say access to tanning beds, massage chairs, and freedom to get away from poors.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

boop the snoot posted:

BWM:living in NYC

metallicaeg posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say access to tanning beds, massage chairs, and freedom to get away from poors.

Gyms here are another way for people here to form cliques based on how rich they arefirst in line they'll be for the guilllotine. I pay more to pretend to work out therefore I am better than you.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 18, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
equinox is fully sick fancy gym for jerkoff 1%ers

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Sock The Great posted:

Even more GWM. Using the empty cans for storage. My garage is Chock Full O Chock Full O Nuts cans.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bad With Money 2018: I run to the toilet and puke up all the yogurt I ate

e: Why does she keep calling her perfectly normal dinners 'random'

#random #winning #winetastesgood

quote:

I actually briefly used a gym that was $70 a week - for literally a month. It was in a very expensive/convenient location and that included unlimited classes that were capped at 10-12 people and ample free gym time in a well-equipped gym where there were never more than 2-3 people wanting to use the two power cages. Still was way, way, way too much money.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

DEMAG posted:

Even more GWM. Using the empty cans for storage. My garage is Chock Full O Chock Full O Nuts cans.

100% this. My kids like using them as drums too, even more GWM - let your kids play with would-be garbage.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Hutzpah posted:

This is like the third time this has come up in the last few months in this thread and I'm not exactly sure why (everyone understands the difference between a used Hyundai and a new Lexus, or lovely gas station coffee and good coffee) but since it keeps recurring here is a list of things I notice at a Lifetime fitness compared to a generic $20 per month gym or like my college gym. Also note that I think $20 gyms are fine although I do appreciate the nice clean equipment since people are gross.

Cleaner/newer/more equipment
Lots of free classes daily that you can go to
Year round heated outdoor pool, separate indoor pool too I think
Free (?) childcare while you work out
Steam Room/Sauna/Towels and possibly some shaving type stuff provided for you
Some fancy pilates room but I think that costs a lot more
Some fancy spa in the gym but I think that costs a lot too
A restaurant in the gym that has decent stuff and actually isn't that expensive if I remember right but I only ate there once
I think they have weird social/networking mixers sometimes out by the pool
Some of them have a nice 3 story climbing wall inside
I think I can go to any lifetime fitness in the country for free

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
most people don't advocate for college students sponging off their parents to buy a lexus

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Droo posted:

This is like the third time this has come up in the last few months in this thread and I'm not exactly sure why (everyone understands the difference between a used Hyundai and a new Lexus, or lovely gas station coffee and good coffee) but since it keeps recurring here is a list of things I notice at a Lifetime fitness compared to a generic $20 per month gym or like my college gym. Also note that I think $20 gyms are fine although I do appreciate the nice clean equipment since people are gross.

There's nothing wrong with luxury items or memberships if you can afford it. She's mooching off her parents for necessities while splurging on wants.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Equinox is the gym you go to when you have more money than time, this chick isn't there yet.

Although if it's like every other luxury meat market gym in NYC she's probably meeting partners of her preferred gender/orientation making 100x what she is, so potentially VGWM.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most people don't advocate for college students sponging off their parents to buy a lexus

I wasn't saying anything about the mooch girl, just responding to the OMG HOW DOES A GYM COST MORE THAN $20 THEY MUST GIVE YOU UNLIMITED HAPPY ENDINGS guy

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Screw the millennial budgets, show me the boomer budgets. I had a budget talk with my dad when I told him that my daycare expenses for a 1 year old cost about the same as my mortgage, he said that his health insurance costs were bigger than his housing + grocery costs combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

Julia's?