Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Thanks for the feedback on my Nokia 6.1 question, will stick with local I think. I have also had a look at the honor 7x and even though it sounds like a better choice in terms of specs, I think I'll still give the 6.1 a try. I'm a sucker for clean software, and after a 6P I'm actually keen to try a smaller size for a bit to help decide between the Pixel 3 & 3XL when the time comes. Just a shame about the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sundar Pichai is claiming that, because of the EU's fine and trying to force Google to unbundle Chrome from Android, Android may no longer be free.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/18/17585396/google-android-eu-fine-response

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Question as I haven't researched into the topic. What is the big problem with your OS coming with bundled software (such as Chrome, or back in the Windows AntiTrust days, IE)?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Question as I haven't researched into the topic. What is the big problem with your OS coming with bundled software (such as Chrome, or back in the Windows AntiTrust days, IE)?

The EU claims it removes choice from the consumer, that you're forced to use Chrome no matter what. It's the same bullshit they claimed back with IE. Though you can use the Play Store (or IE / Edge) to download another browser.

Though, this doesn't change things like the little stripped down browser that Google made that opens instead of your default browser. I don't think any other browser maker has that.

Still, I personally think it's stupid and the EU is, as usual, freaking out about something super meaningless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The important piece of the EU decision is the finding around blocking of access to gservices if you run a forked version of Android.

In an OSS world, that was the only thing keeping Samsung in line (as much as we can say they are in line). After this decision, there's nothing stopping Samsung from pulling a FireOS, forking Android from Oreo and still accessing normal Google services.

That sounds good from a competition standpoint, but holy hell if you thought Android was fragmented before...

Making Android not free allows Google to get control over what partners are using to run their phones and prevents a nightmare forked GalaxyOS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

codo27 posted:

You mean to tell me you are gonna be able to get that on some lovely old Mazda and I cant on my '15 Civic?

As long as your 2014 or newer mazda had the upgraded infotainment system...yes.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

There are companies who make competing software who don't want it to.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EdEddnEddy posted:

It gives the EU a way to steal money from US companies. Aside from that, uhh, IDK. Consumers can easily download whichever apps they want, and Android let's you set defaults *cough*apple*cough*.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sundar Pichai is claiming that, because of the EU's fine and trying to force Google to unbundle Chrome from Android, Android may no longer be free.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/18/17585396/google-android-eu-fine-response

So does this mean they can disassociate my account or "human profile" from their marketing algorithms if I PAY them, like apple?

spoilers: gently caress no.

e: also making empty threats like that to the EU, of all governments, will not endure them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

The important piece of the EU decision is the finding around blocking of access to gservices if you run a forked version of Android.

In an OSS world, that was the only thing keeping Samsung in line (as much as we can say they are in line). After this decision, there's nothing stopping Samsung from pulling a FireOS, forking Android from Oreo and still accessing normal Google services.

That sounds good from a competition standpoint, but holy hell if you thought Android was fragmented before...

Making Android not free allows Google to get control over what partners are using to run their phones and prevents a nightmare forked GalaxyOS.

Back from the Future soon: "WHY IS ANDROID SO FLAKEY on my MediaHowTech 7000??!?! I should've just bought an iPhone!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hopefully, if the next Pixel is all glass, this is the material front and back.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...cement-features

quote:

The company says that the glass will survive up to 15 drops from a one meter height and can be “up to two times better” than Gorilla Glass 5.

The use of etching or a coating on the back in the previous leaks would help with scratch resistance and fingerprints.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

When I was in Japan I got a Sony Xperia, which was basically the cheapest phone at the store, and I loved it. Never seen them here though.

Everyone here was in love with the Z compact series for a little bit as the last remaining holdout of the Small Phone. They're still regarded as being just fine but they eventually started giving the "compact" models a 5" screen and without a notably small model, there's nothing particularly special about them to warrant a recommendation over a Samsung or Pixel for a flagship or a Moto for budget.

bull3964 posted:

Hopefully, if the next Pixel is all glass, this is the material front and back.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...cement-features
Gross

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow my Nokia 7 Plus locked up so hard it doesn't even respond to the power button. I wasn't even doing anything, except plugging it in. Hopefully that isn't a repeatable issue.

The screen is still on, so I guess I'm waiting for it to run out of battery?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Wow my Nokia 7 Plus locked up so hard it doesn't even respond to the power button. I wasn't even doing anything, except plugging it in. Hopefully that isn't a repeatable issue.

The screen is still on, so I guess I'm waiting for it to run out of battery?

Or burn in.. isn't it an LED screen?

Can you hold the power button and do a force reset?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I tried it for the 20th time just for you, but, no. That's what I meant.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RIP

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Oh. Sorry, I thought you meant the screen just wouldn't turn off via power button.

Uhh...that sounds like a dealbreaker in a phone... can you return it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Hold it for like 30+ seconds. Phones don't have removable batteries will have a hardware reset thingy if you hold power for a super long time. If it really doesn't work after you hold the button for like a minute, then yeah really something is wrong.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah I held i for like two minutes and uh, nothing. I'll still wait to see if it magically works after running out of battery, but I shouldn't have any problems getting a replacement. It's not even two weeks old yet. It's really annoying though, I just started to have it set up to my liking

The charger I'm using isn't the one that came with the phone so I guess that could theoretically be an issue? But according to everything I know it should be outputting the exact same kind of current. I sure used it for three years with the 5X with no problems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Yeah I held i for like two minutes and uh, nothing. I'll still wait to see if it magically works after running out of battery, but I shouldn't have any problems getting a replacement. It's not even two weeks old yet. It's really annoying though, I just started to have it set up to my liking

The charger I'm using isn't the one that came with the phone so I guess that could theoretically be an issue? But according to everything I know it should be outputting the exact same kind of current. I sure used it for three years with the 5X with no problems.

The charger for the 5x is a known bad charger that will damage devices which aren't 5x's. It's one of the poster children for LOL USB-C.

Google's answer for why they didn't recall and replace them was "Don't charge other devices with it and it won't burn your house down, easy-peasy."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I wasn't using that one either, just a third-party usb charger

I'll keep that in mind though!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One thing you might try is holding vol + or - and the power button. I know on some HTC's you have to do that to get a hard reboot where the power button alone does not.

*Edit* Yep Vol + and Power

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 19, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

One thing you might try is holding vol + or - and the power button. I know on some HTC's you have to do that to get a hard reboot where the power button alone does not.

*Edit* Yep Vol + and Power

A cursory Google suggests it might be Power + Volume Up.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Would you look at that, it worked! I really think that should be mapped to just holding the power button though, that's a pretty universal command

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It used to be that for a lot of phones, then it was way to easy to accidentally reboot your phone in your pocket. I know because I have done exactly this more than once.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With the gorilla glass 6 announcement, Corning's vibrant gorilla glass has been getting more attention too. This is something they announced back in 2016, but it's, been mentioned in almost all the Gorilla Glass 6 announcements.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/corning-vibrant-satin-gorilla-glass-means-goodbye-fingerprints-and-smudges-on-phone-back-panels/

Now I'm really wondering if the matte portion of the back that we've seen in the Pixel 3 leaks is using this vibrant glass on the back.

So, if Gorilla Glass 6 is as durable as they claim and they are using this matte version on the back, I might not be so down on an all glass Pixel 3.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know where to post this so I'll try here.

I am thinking about buying a Fire HD 8 and my stupid rear end missed the Prime Day sale. So I thought I could at least save some money and buy it from Warehouse Deals in "good" condition.

So my question is if someone here has experience with buying a tablet from the Warehouse Deals. I don't mind if the exterior is showing some wear but I am wondering if the display will have small scratches and stuff. I know I can always send it back but maybe someone here can tell me right away to forget about it and pony up the money or if it's worth a try.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

skit herre posted:

I don't really know where to post this so I'll try here.

I am thinking about buying a Fire HD 8 and my stupid rear end missed the Prime Day sale. So I thought I could at least save some money and buy it from Warehouse Deals in "good" condition.

So my question is if someone here has experience with buying a tablet from the Warehouse Deals. I don't mind if the exterior is showing some wear but I am wondering if the display will have small scratches and stuff. I know I can always send it back but maybe someone here can tell me right away to forget about it and pony up the money or if it's worth a try.

I've not bought a tablet, but in general when buying warehouse deals stuff always click the link that says 'Used (x) from $xx.xx' and then carefully read the descriptions for each item, even with the wider groups of good/like new/etc. there can be a lot of variation, but that is where you will get detail on what level of wear you can expect. If for some reason it doesn't meet that description when you get it, return it, or if you can live with it complain to customer support for a price adjustment.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yo so these jaybird x3s are pretty good sound quality wise and comfort fit. Still not as good as Koss Porta Pros but surprisingly decent. Glad that wireless tech has advanced so much in the last few years. Last time I tried earbuds they were brutally uncomfortable.

While I wouldn't be ok with spending full retail on them, I got a good price which makes their limitations easier to accept. I'm beginning to think much of my objection to wireless headphones boils down to "spend $200 to get roughly the same audio quality that $40 wired will get you."

Anyway take that as you will, let's not devolve into yet another five page digression over headphone jacks. I think the battle lines have been pretty well established and entrenched by now.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

can't use my pressy button without a headphone jack, rip

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just started setting up my moto 4x and I can't find a way to set it up to require a password/pin/pattern on boot. It was something I had set up on my nexus 6p (which has the battery management problem). Is that just not a standard feature of Android?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

8one6 posted:

I just started setting up my moto 4x and I can't find a way to set it up to require a password/pin/pattern on boot. It was something I had set up on my nexus 6p (which has the battery management problem). Is that just not a standard feature of Android?

As far as I know there is no way to make an Android phone NOT require the pin on boot.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yeah, once you set up the pin and reboot it should bring you to the screen and say pin required after reboot

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
He could be talking about the pin to decrypt the file system if you turned that on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

From 7.0 on, file level encryption is available rather than storage level encryption. With file level encryption, there is no pre-boot pin. The system is able to boot and provide limited functionality (alarms, notifications of incoming messages without their content). However, user data stays encrypted until you enter the pin.

This was done so that a kernel panic leading to an unexpected reboot of a phone wouldn't leave you with missed alarms, text messages, or phone calls.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Probably only certain phones. My Galaxy S9 is Android 8.0 and it encrypts everything. I have to enter the pin on reboot so it can decrypt everything.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

bull3964 posted:

From 7.0 on, file level encryption is available rather than storage level encryption. With file level encryption, there is no pre-boot pin. The system is able to boot and provide limited functionality (alarms, notifications of incoming messages without their content). However, user data stays encrypted until you enter the pin.

This was done so that a kernel panic leading to an unexpected reboot of a phone wouldn't leave you with missed alarms, text messages, or phone calls.

Forgive me if I sound like a moron but is file level encryption good enough to protect the phone/data.
I liked knowing that if someone didn't have the password for my phone they couldn't even get it to boot. (I'll admit this may have been just me not understanding phone security.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

This.

Though I have had apps with accessibility access screw up requiring pin on reboot in the past on older OS versions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

8one6 posted:

Forgive me if I sound like a moron but is file level encryption good enough to protect the phone/data.
I liked knowing that if someone didn't have the password for my phone they couldn't even get it to boot. (I'll admit this may have been just me not understanding phone security.)

Yes, it's just as strong and usually performs better as well since it can be easily hardware accelerated by the SoC.

And yes, it varies by phone manufacturer. This is an optional 'new' feature with Android. Moto is close to stock Android so they are going to do things closer to the Pixel.

Samsung still does their own thing, so it's not surprising that a boot pin is still necessary.

One advantage to file level encryption is multiple profiles use different keys to encrypt their data. Having access to one user profile doesn't mean to can gain access to another. There's also the possibility of using different keys for different files, sandboxing things further.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Thanks thread for posting about Google rewards whenever that came up several pages ago. I'm up to $2 after a few weeks!