Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Was told caves near the start had the cross class upgrades.

Went to a cave near Opilia's start that was level 25 with a part hovering around level 15.

Powered through to a boss somehow.

Beat the boss somehow.

...this is not the cave I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MY BLADE IS UNBENDING

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Natural 20 posted:

Went to a cave near Opilia's start that was level 25 with a part hovering around level 15.

Beat the boss somehow.

None of them are on the roads between the initial towns. All of the shrines are on the way to the Chapter 2 towns and show up on the minimap as like 3 little pillars.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Natural 20 posted:

Beat the boss somehow.

They are all like one zone away from the starting zones. When you're in the right zone you'll see a minimap icon that looks like 4 pillars. The caves have nothing in them besides the job shrine so if you see anything else you'll know you're in the wrong place.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I see a lot of post talking about Tressa - Runemaster

I just got to level 32 due to therion dancing like a madman and oops all levels. Is that enough for it? And where would I go to find it

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Fought the optional boss Jotunn last night and drat that thing was challenging. It and its minions had so much health that I burned through 15+ inspiring plums so I could keep up the fire spells. Once the minions were down it wasn't too bad but the whole fight took like 30 minutes.

Part of the issue I'm having right now is that one of my characters (H'aanit) just seems to do much more damage than the rest of my party and I'm not exactly sure why so if I fight something that isn't weak to her, it takes forever. She is only 1-2 levels ahead of everyone else. I think maybe I need to get better weapons for other folks, but I'm very cash poor at the moment despite the fact that I collect and steal as much as possible. Do better weapons become more plentiful/cheaper once you start doing the chapter 2 quests and entering those towns/areas?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I see a lot of post talking about Tressa - Runemaster

I just got to level 32 due to therion dancing like a madman and oops all levels. Is that enough for it? And where would I go to find it

There's one way for you do find out. :unsmigghh:

If you try to get Runemaster at level 30 you are going to get wrecked very quickly. I barely got the Warmaster job and my party was 44/39/35/32,and using the best gear I could find/buy/steal and it was far easier than the other 3 (that I haven't tried again yet because they stomped me so fast).

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rosalind posted:

Fought the optional boss Jotunn last night and drat that thing was challenging. It and its minions had so much health that I burned through 15+ inspiring plums so I could keep up the fire spells. Once the minions were down it wasn't too bad but the whole fight took like 30 minutes.

Part of the issue I'm having right now is that one of my characters (H'aanit) just seems to do much more damage than the rest of my party and I'm not exactly sure why so if I fight something that isn't weak to her, it takes forever. She is only 1-2 levels ahead of everyone else. I think maybe I need to get better weapons for other folks, but I'm very cash poor at the moment despite the fact that I collect and steal as much as possible. Do better weapons become more plentiful/cheaper once you start doing the chapter 2 quests and entering those towns/areas?

You should feel good, I'm in mid-chapter 2s and haven't even seen that boss yet. You'll probably roll through the C2 dungeons once you hit them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yall are flying through this game. I'm only one story finished in Chapter 2.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I may have missed it, but is there a guide on where to steal all the good equipment?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harlock posted:

I'm not much farther either. Just haven't had time to play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

I've done two ch 2s and a ch 3 so I totally get you. I've done a lot of just general exploring, it's kind of refreshing just seeing where the path takes you sometimes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1019627928106258432

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I may have missed it, but is there a guide on where to steal all the good equipment?

ChaosArgate posted:

Well I decided to snap the game’s difficulty. With Cyrus’s support skill, I made it up to Grandport around the time I started doing chapter 2s. I grabbed a dagger with high evade from the merchants there, and stacked evasion as high as I could go on Olberic before challenging the NPC blocking the house. After like 20 min, I beat the guy so I could go inside and scrutinize the old lady, who gives a huge boost to steal rates (3% -> 80%+, usually). I then proceeded to rob the town blind and now my Thief Tressa’s got 597 evade. :v: Time to carry on with chapter 2s!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Came here to post this

Very cool (but I buy digital :smith:)

That pop-up book in the collector's edition is pretty swank too. I want one. If I'd known that was a thing I might not have bought digital. I can probably get one off ebay in a few months for cheap tho...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I have the popup book and yes it god drat owns

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I was sorely tempted to buy the collector's edition but wanted the digital convenience and didn't have a good spot to put the collection stuff. The more I play the game the more I wish I'd bought it after all. :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would it be :filez: if someone were to post the PDF of all of them?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I got to everyone’s Ch 2 stories and I have accepted that this party is the JRPG equivalent of The Gang from It’s Always Sunny

And I love it so much more

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't done a single ch.2 yet since I've been having a nice time exploring, getting subclass shrines, and generally trying to find a bunch of fast travel locations and doing random sidequest stuff. My characters are around 13 to 17 anyway so I won't be lvl 21 for a bit, though engaging in high-danger battles here and there is always fun along the way of traveling so it never feels like grinding. It really is grand that normal random battles can more often than not feel engaging and like a mini puzzle; too many JRPGs in the old days were little more than "press A 100x" so I've been pleased that this one really gives you a lot to experiment with and a decently growing roster of monsters to fight.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there much backtracking in this game? I'm not against backtracking, I simply can't keep track of stuff very well between play sessions in games. I'm lucky to sit down for an hour two or three times a week. I'm working through Hollow Knight this way and it's becoming challenging to remember where things are that accessible when I first find them.

This game, from the demo at least, seems like it's designed for people in my situation due to showing where the next story thing is the extensive journal.

If I can sit down and complete a zone, put the game down for a few days, and not have to spend 15 minutes getting my bearings days later, I will be very happy.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

If I can sit down and complete a zone, put the game down for a few days, and not have to spend 15 minutes getting my bearings days later, I will be very happy.

That's basically how I play and I haven't had any problems so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For people who are doing all eight stories as they go instead of four at a time: how badly overleveled is your main character?

I know some people who are sticking to one party are ending up pretty overleveled. I imagine switching around the party frequently prevents that for everyone except your main. How huge does the level gap get? I mean maybe having one very overleveled character is probably better than a full party of just regular overleveled characters, but just to check.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My level distribution is like this after doing Primrose Ch. 2 as the only one so far.

Olberic (main) - 30
Tressa (2nd Char) - 28
Primrose - 25
Ophilia - 26

Everyone else is 18-20. Since Primrose's chapter 2 is on a route with level 20 encounters I spent some time to get everyone up to level 20. I'll have to level some people up more to get to where their suggested level is.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Harrow posted:

For people who are doing all eight stories as they go instead of four at a time: how badly overleveled is your main character?

I know some people who are sticking to one party are ending up pretty overleveled. I imagine switching around the party frequently prevents that for everyone except your main. How huge does the level gap get? I mean maybe having one very overleveled character is probably better than a full party of just regular overleveled characters, but just to check.

I'm half way through chapter 2 and my main is like level 33ish and the rest are hovering between 24 and my mains level.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Starting on chapter 2s now. Alfyn is a very good and wholesome boy.

He's also a deadly axe murderer whose drugs grind enemy shields into paste.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alfyn and Tressa are in love and wear each other's clothes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there much backtracking in this game? I'm not against backtracking, I simply can't keep track of stuff very well between play sessions in games. I'm lucky to sit down for an hour two or three times a week. I'm working through Hollow Knight this way and it's becoming challenging to remember where things are that accessible when I first find them.

This game, from the demo at least, seems like it's designed for people in my situation due to showing where the next story thing is the extensive journal.

Sidequests will have you backtracking quite a bit

Harrow posted:

I can already tell Therion is going to be pretty badly overleveled, but I think I'm just going to finish his story so I can swap him out, as much as I want to do all of the chapter 4s together.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Slight spoilers, but someone posted the order of Party Chats triggering for each chapter on GameFAQs.

I say slight spoilers because of the second post, where apparently you can trigger Tavern Chats after you beat a Chapter 4 if you have certain characters in your party.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Whew someone already has a single story speedrun up. Just under 2 hours. Gonna spoiler the party setup in case someone wants to find out as they go. https://www.speedrun.com/octopath/run/mk92q55z

Cyrus - Hunter
Therion - Thief
Primrose - Apothecary
Alfyn - Apothecary
blahblahblah
blahblahblah
lbahblahblah

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Lesson for the day, when you've taken a big hit that confused your caster who can't even put 10 damage but just so happens to have also been the recipient of a Transfer Rune weapon enchantment from a Runelord, you don't want to dismiss said confused character as a non-issue because they'll only do 10 damage. Because the following 7.8k will probably kill you.

nessin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 18, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I find myself really relating to Cyrus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ChaosArgate posted:

Well I decided to snap the game’s difficulty. With Cyrus’s support skill, I made it up to Grandport around the time I started doing chapter 2s. I grabbed a dagger with high evade from the merchants there, and stacked evasion as high as I could go on Olberic before challenging the NPC blocking the house. After like 20 min, I beat the guy so I could go inside and scrutinize the old lady, who gives a huge boost to steal rates (3% -> 80%+, usually). I then proceeded to rob the town blind and now my Thief Tressa’s got 597 evade. :v: Time to carry on with chapter 2s!

Bahaha. Was on the road to do this (while having reduced random encounters and increase flee chance) and right outside Grandport I actually ended up in a random encounter with a "Chubby Cait." I happened to have a handful of large elemental stones. 60k money, 2.4k xp, 1.1k jp. Took my party from about 15-18 to 23-26.

No complaints here.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My plan of "finish Therion's story with my bench because they can just level as I go" has hit a snag as his story jumps from level 22 to level 36 between 2 and 3.

I guess I'll just have to go full "A-team" and "B-team" for a while.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Just checking but there is no way to target party members with attacks to break sleep right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, what herb/ability type counters spinning stars? They look like what enemies get when you break them. I thought it was confusion, but that didn’t seem to work.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That's unconscious as far as status ailments go. I believe it's Herb of Revival for the consumable that heals it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Any good weapon steals in the starting towns other than the Golden Axe? I’m taking a quick break before continuing my Ch2 stuff and hitting up everywhere with Therion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deftest
May 7, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Any good weapon steals in the starting towns other than the Golden Axe? I’m taking a quick break before continuing my Ch2 stuff and hitting up everywhere with Therion

I 100%'d the first chapter towns, and can say with relative confidence that there's nothing on the same level as that Golden Axe