Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
life in the customer service industry sure can be ruff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

While reading this I was thinking "this is a woman who will be asking to 'see your manager' at restaurants by age 30" and then I hit the end.

quote:

7:45 p.m. — The waiter tells us it'll be a five-minute wait. Those five minutes pass, and then another 20 minutes pass, and suddenly we've been waiting for 45 minutes. In that time, a guy I used to sleep with shows up at the same restaurant with his squad of guy friends. The whole restaurant is mayhem. I just want some fooooood.
8:42 p.m. — We finally sit down at a lovely table outside. Z. and I order two small pizzas and a grilled calamari appetizer to share. I tell her that there's no chance we leave without getting some free stuff. I suggest to the waiter that he brings us some wine on the house, and he does. He also brings us a panna cotta dessert with our check. $36.62

Amazing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Barudak posted:

Why did you tell him? You absolute idiot why would you tell him? What the gently caress is wrong with you that you told him what you were doing? You are literally the villain monologing their plan while their is still plenty of time to stop them.

Going from what I've seen when I worked retail, the manager went the 'what's gonna be less headaches' route, and just sacking the barista's less headache than potentially having someone cry to the media of discrimination against the disabled.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Re: Latin

I know it's taught in schools (I studied it years 7-10), but my understanding is there's no such thing as having Latin as a 'second language' in the sense that you can fluently converse in it. Most recorded Latin is poo poo like "Maxim Sextus owes me six sheep and a cow by the end of this July, because I loaned him four-and-a-half bushels of wheat in the month of May" and formally-written historical sagas, not casual conversation stuff like "how is your day going?".

I have friends who majored in classical studies and can readily translate Latin passages on the fly, but if you transported them back in time to ancient Rome to chat with the locals I don't think they'd be much better off than someone fluent in modern Italian.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HazCat posted:

I know it's taught in schools (I studied it years 7-10), but my understanding is there's no such thing as having Latin as a 'second language' in the sense that you can fluently converse in it. Most recorded Latin is poo poo like "Maxim Sextus owes me six sheep and a cow by the end of this July, because I loaned him four-and-a-half bushels of wheat in the month of May" and formally-written historical sagas, not casual conversation stuff like "how is your day going?".

I have friends who majored in classical studies and can readily translate Latin passages on the fly, but if you transported them back in time to ancient Rome to chat with the locals I don't think they'd be much better off than someone fluent in modern Italian.
Oh yeah, "second language" in the sense that you could use it to talk to other people is laughable, because there's no way to, like, travel to Latinium and talk poo poo with the locals or watch TV series in Latin with subtitles to get a feel for the language. It was, however, the second language I learned, not the second I spoke if that makes sense.

I did know some people who claimed to be actually fluent in Latin, but those were very church-adjacent and would probably be considered weirdos by most. (I was a weird kid myself, I didn't care)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

Going from what I've seen when I worked retail, the manager went the 'what's gonna be less headaches' route, and just sacking the barista's less headache than potentially having someone cry to the media of discrimination against the disabled.

I feel like the manager done goofed because it's starbucks. I'm sure at this point the OP could get a lawyer and say she was fired as retaliation over trying to report sexual harassment. Other coworkers knew of the situation too so it's not just her word against his.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I [24 M] caught my live-in girlfriend (2 years) [27F] in a lie

quote:

My girlfriend and I have had a bit of a rough patch lately. We're on a lease for another 4 months, and she's expressed that she wants to leave at the end of the lease, but that she still loves me. She says she loves me but also says that I'm not the one.

There's a guy she's been hanging out with, and it's given me a gut feeling that something's up. I confronted her about this guy and she admitted to me that yes, they like each other, but that it's just a "sexual tension thing at work" and that I don't need to worry. She told me she is remaining faithful to me.

Anyways, she's on this backpacking trip right now. She's been talking about it for weeks, how she was going to go with her girl friend for a couple nights. No big deal, sounded fun. I asked her to give me her friend's number before she left, just in case they got lost or something and I needed to get ahold of her.

I texted her friend just saying "Hey friend, this is /u/aegis2293, my GF gave me your number just in case you guys get lost in the woods."

Her friend texts back saying she had no idea what I was talking about, and didn't have plans with my gf. She said they had been talking about a backpacking trip for awhile, but never made any solid plans.

I can't call her and confront her about this right now, because her phone's off. And even if it was, she probably doesn't have service. If she is where she says she is. But she's been packing her backpack for the last 2 days, so unless that's all a big show, i'm guessing she really is backpacking.

I don't know what to do. I feel dead inside. I feel so betrayed. I just wish I could call her and ask her what the gently caress is going on. She'll be back tomorrow, but it's gonna kill me to be in limbo like this waiting this long.

I may have left out some important details and this may be incoherent, but naturally, I didn't sleep last night and haven't eaten. I'm a wreck.

I'm not sure what to do. Help?

TL;DR Girlfriend lied about going backpacking with a friend, and I think she went with another dude instead. I'm heartbroken, and can't get ahold of her.

See, what you did wrong here was agree that you're breaking up at a set point in the future rather than just severing straight away you spineless loving idiot.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Me [31M] with my wife [30F] of two years, how to move forward after her emotional affair

quote:

Hey Reddit. Long time lurker here, never thought I'd be on the other side of one of these posts. Writing has never been my forte, and my head is spinning with emotions, so I'll try my best to be clear & concise.

My wife (we'll call her Ann) and I have been together since '09, married in '16. After our wedding, we moved an hour away to a small town to pursue new careers. Things have been going pretty okay since we moved here. We both love what we do, but we have been super busy with work. The fast-paced days have made for quiet nights at home, but we still get out occasionally to enjoy our hobbies together. It has also been difficult for us to make new friends with our current work/home life.

Backstory: I have been dealing with a GI disease for the past 4 years. In February of this year, I was rushed to the hospital due to complications from this disease. I was admitted for emergency surgery, and the surgeon did what was necessary to save my life. The surgeon diverted my large intestine to a colostomy bag, I spent a week in the ICU and then 4 weeks horizontal in a recliner at home. Ann was great through the whole process, she was quick to learn the ropes of life with a bag, and she was always there to pick me up when I was feeling down. I'm 4 weeks away from another surgery where they will reverse the bag and remove any remaining diseased intestine, so I'm really looking forward to life without a front butt!

Now that that's out there, we can dive into the issue at hand. Ann & I work for different companies in the construction/remodeling industry. As you can expect, this industry is dominated by guys. Up until recently, I have never once thought that she would cheat on me. I have even joked with her about all the work "boyfriends" that she has. Due to my current physical situation, my confidence has taken a nose-dive, and I can't help but feel vulnerable when she's working with healthy, successful guys.

Well one night about a month ago, Ann told me that she had to stay late to wrap up some project. I didn't think anything of it, until she got home & we got in bed. I could clearly smell alcohol on her, so I confronted her about it knowing that we didn't have anything to drink together. She told me that one of the contractors (Brian, whose office is >100 yards from hers) was on the way to a new brewery on their block, and that he asked her to come out for a beer. I told her that this was a breach of my trust, since she lied to me a few times about where she was that night. She said sorry, wouldn't happen again etc., and I left it at that.

A few weeks later, now July 3rd, she's working late again, and I'm at home entertaining my parents & grandparents who were staying with us for the upcoming holiday. I called her office phone wanting to know what her ETA was, and she didn't answer. I called her cell, no answer. I texted, and she responded a while later saying "sorry, 15 more minutes!" Well, 15 minutes passed and still no word or sign of her.

Ann finally showed up around 8pm (she's off at 5), and everything seemed to be normal. We were planning on doing a big bike ride on the 4th, but when we settled down for the night, she started talking about how I should just do the ride by myself since she didn't want to hold me back. I thought that was pretty weak since we had been planning on this ride for a week or so, but I didn't think much more of it. When I woke up on the 4th, I realized my phone was dead, so I plugged mine in and grabbed her phone for my morning redditing. When I unlocked her phone, I was greeted by a text thread between Brian and Ann. They were flirting and talking about how they enjoyed each others company at the brewery the night before. They were also making plans to go for a bike ride on the 4th!

I confronted her when she woke up that morning. She immediately apologized, started crying, and tried to explain her way out of the mess. She says that nothing physical happened, but I don't understand why she felt the need to sneak around behind my back if that's the case. I feel like a physical affair was imminent due to the nature of their texts, her sneaking around & repeated lies. I told her that the only way that I could get over it was for her to text Brian and tell him that she disrespected our marriage by flirting with him and going behind my back. Well, Ann wouldn't text Brian because she didn't feel like Brian was being inappropriate, and he's "a big part" of their business so she didn't want to mess that relationship up. I felt (feel) pretty low knowing that she prioritized her work relationships over our marriage.

Here we are, two weeks out, and the wound is still fresh. I have asked Ann a few times to text Brian and air it all out, but she refuses to. She'll say something like "the next time he texts, I'll tell him if I feel like he's being inappropriate" or some BS like that. I just don't know what to do now, I'm having a hard time moving forward because I know they'll still work together on projects, and Brian probably thinks things are all peachy between the two of them. I'm thinking a marriage counselor is next for Ann & myself, but I just need to air this out since I don't really have anyone to talk to about this. Reddit, do you have any advice on how to move on?

TL;DR: Wife is having an emotional affair and will not end it on my means, and I don't know how to put it behind me.

She needs a guy with a regular butt :smith:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HazCat posted:

Na. I mean, vocabulary had to be invented for the modern world, but some people can and do just speak Latin. Hell, there's a radio station. Bear in mind people were speaking conversational Latin as a second language up until like the 17th century, it's not like it just disappeared when Rome fell.

Quomodo vales? :sun:

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
I (27M) caught my fiancee (24F) browsing for a new engagement ring and don’t know where to go from here

quote:

Hey guys. So I’m not really sure how to address this situation and could use some advice.
My fiancee and I have been dating six years. We finished a couple years of long distance last fall, so by this winter I was bringing up getting engaged. I told her off the bat that I don’t like engagement rings (materialism, women in my family don’t have them, antidiamond/stuff that looks like a diamond). I’d planned on getting her something simple, like a claddaugh ring. My (then) gf said she also didn’t want a diamond but wasn’t psyched about the claddaugh idea since all her young cousins wear them. Eventually we agreed that a Montana sapphire would be nice (ethical, locally made, etc.).

I was busy with work and frankly didn’t care much about the ring, so when she asked if we could go look at rings in person, I suggested that she look online. She eventually found a ring ($500 dollars), sapphire, plain band. I ordered it and we both checked it out. A couple days later she admitted that she was underwhelmed by the ring (sapphire was small/cloudy) and suggested that we return it and go find a ring in person, as she’s friendly with a jeweler nearby. I also thought the sapphire was small, but said that we’d both be attached to it once it was used in the proposal, etc.

Well, the proposal and our vacation surrounding it was great, but two days ago she left her phone on the counter and I noticed that she was looking at a ring! Still Montana sapphire, but a few small diamonds in a ring around the rock (halo?). $1500. I confronted her and she admitted that she still didn’t like the ring and was interested in paying for a new one for herself. She did say she was excited to be marrying me so it’s not about that. I guess other women/family members have made some snarky comments about the ring too. She doesn’t wear a lot of jewelry and I was surprised she cared all that much about what other women said. So that’s what I said—who cares what they think, etc.

For context, we both make about $70K and are loan/debt free, so the money isn’t the issue. Am I being unreasonable in not wanting her to get a new ring? I proposed with the old ring and it kind of feels like that doesn’t matter to her. Is this weird behavior on her part? Apparently we can’t change the existing ring and I want matching plain wedding bands so buying a nicer wedding band for her is a no go for now.

TLDR; fiancée didn’t like ring preproposal, still doesn’t like it, is looking for a new ring and I’m not sure what to do.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

JaneError posted:

I (27M) caught my fiancee (24F) browsing for a new engagement ring and don’t know where to go from here

how did he notice a ring when she left her phone on the counter? smart phones go dark very quickly.

sounds like OP was snooping (which is abuse). all data found in the search is fruit of the poisonous tree, so if he takes this to relationship court he will probably end up getting held in contempt by the judge in addition to the contempt his wife holds for him for repeatedly ignoring her thoughts and feelings

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [23 F] best friend/roommate [22 F] has recently decided to live her life as a furry. Everything would be fine, except she is getting into constant fights with her parents over it.

quote:

The title sums it up, but I'll go ahead and elaborate. I'm using a throwaway account and couldn't think of a better username.

Samantha and I have been best friends since we were assigned as freshman year roommates. We graduated together from the same program in college and we pledged our sorority together.After college, we got an apartment together because we were both hired by the same design firm. Samantha is one of the coolest people I know.

Anyway, after we moved into our new apartment, Samantha confided in me that she always wanted to be a furry but that she didn't feel comfortable expressing herself around other people (except me). I love to cosplay so I offered to help her sew a fursuit that she could wear to conventions. Samantha designed the suit and I sewed it. She loves it so much that she wears it at home and we have gone out to bars with her in the fursuit (we live in New Orleans, no one blinked an eye).

The problem is, Samantha's parents have been fighting with her about the fursuit. Contrary to what most people assume about furries, Samantha is a very attractive, preppy woman. She was a legacy in our sorority (her mom was in the same sorority at the same uni) and despite the minor nerdy streak, no one would ever assume that she would be interested in furry culture. Two months ago, Samantha's parents dropped by the apartment unexpectedly and saw her in the fursuit through the window from their parked car. When they rang the bell, they were furious and demanded to come inside. Samantha let them come in (she had taken off the fursuit by that point) and her parents started to berate her about being a 'freak' and a 'pervert'.

Things calmed down since that initial incident, but her parents are constantly trying to start arguments with her and to drag me into it. Her mom will call the house phone and basically beg me to convince Samantha to stop. It seems to come from a place of genuine concern rather than anger, therefore I try to be calm and explain that Samantha is 100% fine and that she is just expressing herself. Samantha's mom is worried that Samantha will never find a proper husband, but Samantha doesn't even have that on her radar until after grad school.

In the meantime, I have been trying to keep the peace, but it's tiring. Samantha often cries because her parents are so disapproving. She is sad because all they see is a creepy costume, not a persona that she spent years designing. She's tried to explain it, tried to stop them from calling and starting crap, but it isn't working.

I know Reddit likes to jump to conclusions, so I would like to reiterate: Her parents have always been supportive of her and are in no way abusive or narcissists. They are Catholic and fairly liberal. There is no screaming in these fights; surprisingly it has all been rather healthy, all things considered. They just don't understand why she feels the need to be a furry despite our best efforts to explain.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

tl;dr: My roommate has decided to be a furry. Her parents found out and are causing arguments because they do not understand her lifestyle. It seems to come from a place of genuine concern for their daughter and we are looking for a way to resolve the conflict.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JaneError posted:

What a dummy. Just let her buy a ring she likes better.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

JaneError posted:

"Pfft, rings are stupid and if you want one go pick it out yourself but also I'm very attached to it now because I put it in a box and gave it to you."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I know all there is to know about the crying game...

Upon having sex, my [21F] boyfriend [22"m"] turned out to be...my girlfriend
It's completely her right to not want to continue the relationship and Erin should have told her before the pants came off. Not like, first date material, but somewhere in the year long relationship. Her terminating the relationship isn't transphobic.

...buuut, her wording in this post is, from the 'my girlfriend' to [22"m"] to referring to her ex-boyfriend as 'they' and not 'he'. So while her ex could be calling her transphobic just for breaking up, it's not unheard of when you're 22 and stupid and disappointed and hurt, it's also fairly likely she said some pretty transphobic poo poo in the heat of the moment if this is how she's talking after having time to process.

EDIT: If so, she should apologize for that but not for breaking up... but if so, she won't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

My [23 F] best friend/roommate [22 F] has recently decided to live her life as a furry. Everything would be fine, except she is getting into constant fights with her parents over it.

This was post before but I want to stress no matter what the poster says everyone in New Orleans absolutely thinks theyre insane because it is hot and humid as all get out before you add on the full body fursuit. People will be genuinely concerned this sex freak is gonna pass out in the quarter and block access to Napoleon House

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

She loves it so much that she wears it at home and we have gone out to bars with her in the fursuit (we live in New Orleans, no one blinked an eye). 

Her fursona must be a horse, she's got some righteous blinders on.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

JaneError posted:

LOL. What an rear end in a top hat.
"Why doesn't this other person think what I'm telling her to think and feel what I'm telling her to feel?!"

It's not like she hadn't already told him she wanted to exchange the ring for something she's more excited to wear for the rest of her life.

The ring is kind of a symbol of the upcoming marriage. If she's excited to be married to this schmuck, it makes sense that she would like a ring that she was also excited about. It's not like she's worried about him paying for it. She just accepts that this is something he is unable to understand her feelings about so she's taking care of it herself.

Hope the comments are explaining this to him.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bored posted:

LOL. What an rear end in a top hat.

Hope the comments are explaining this to him.

Yeah, except a couple idiots that are like ‘that’s unreasonable, if you budge on this, what’s next?!’

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, except a couple idiots that are like ‘that’s unreasonable, if you budge on this, what’s next?!’

Marriage, one hopes.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Here’s another moron that was posted in the comments of that engagement ring story:

quote:

My [27m] Fiance [27f] told me that she hates everything I have planned for her propsal?
u/DoomedGroom
So I met Aurora when I was 17, we have been together for 10 years barring a short (1 week) 'break' 2 years in. Since then it's been great, a lot of hard work, but amazing. She was the first person I've ever met who made me feel like I could really talk to her, she's intelligent and beautiful and there are so many times I've realised I'm a better person because of her. I'm confident she feels similarly to me, in her words she's been 'in it' since day one, though it took me a little longer to catch up.

She is a very 'simple' person. By that I mean, she does not wear any jewellery, she likes plain colours, she does not have a bold taste for anything really. She likes quiet evenings in, does not care for huge gestures or busy environments, she's content with quality people over quantity, she can be quite shy and has actually had issues with my family in the past (My mother does not like her, and has told her that) over her introverted behaviour, as I am very extroverted and thrive in crowds by comparison. She is also not one of those people who needs to get married, but has said that it's something she's open to because she knows that title is important to me. We have similar views about weddings, but she's said she's willing to compromise on things because the event is more important for me (e.g. the amount of people we invite, where it's held, etc) she's willing to bend when it's something important.

One thing she did ask initially was that I not buy her an engagement ring, she said she did not like the look of two rings together after we get married and she simply isn't a jewellery girl. I said if it was really important to her I wouldn't get her one, but suggested that maybe I get her an engagement ring and have it made into her wedding band when we get married as a compromise, she thought this was fair.

Periodically we have 'played sims' with our futures and looked at venues and rings, etc, just for fun. The types of rings she has shown me that she likes are not my preference, but it's her ring. She likes very simple designs, she dislikes diamonds and would prefer a sapphire or even no rock at all, she much prefers an intricate band with no rock than a plain band with big diamonds. So, I thought I found one that perfectly represented both of our styles, it has three stones, a diamond in the centre and two blue sapphires either side. The band is two bands intertwined with small diamonds in the gaps, if that makes sense?

I also planned (what I thought to be) a perfect engagement. She has always said she wants an intimate, low key proposal. So, I planned a party a few months away (relatives are in another country) with a dinner for her family, my family and a few close friends (40-50 people), followed by drinks and dessert at our house. She has always told me family was her number one priority in life, so I thought what better way than to propose in front of our family?

On to the problem. I was showing a friend on facebook the ring I got her (he loved it) when she unexpectedly walked into the room and saw it. (I had made no comments about proposing before this) so she asked who that was for? I told her x's girlfriend. She raised her eyebrows and said 'I guess there really is a lid for every pot!' and upon further prodding she said she hated the ring, that it looked tacky and busy, that it was not her style at all. gently caress.

To make things even worse, We have this running inside joke where we drop hints anytime we are planning on surprising one another, little hints here and there, subtle comments, suggestive looks, we like to build the suspense basically. Our conversation went like this:

Me: Big milestone coming up, huh?

Her: What? Did I forget something?

Me: I don't know, did you?

She laughed sort of knowingly

Me: Let's just say I hope you're ready for a party!

Her: Ohhhhh, what're you planning? I thought you were talking about a proposal

Me: How do you know I'm not?

Her: Come on. You would never propose to me at a party, you know I'd hate you to ask me in front of people.

Me: Oh so you'd rather I propose to you while we're making dinner? (sort of sarcastically)

She just kissed me and said 'Sounds perfect'. She once said I could bring her breakfast in bed and propose and she'd love it, sort of a, 'I love her so much in this moment I can't help but ask her to marry me' but I always thought that was more of a romantic version, I feel like what I planned is so much more personal to her. But now I think I hosed up and I don't know what to do? It sounds like she hates everything I have planned, but I know she wouldn't tell me so if I went through with it to spare my feelings?

Tl;dr My girlfriend hates the ring and the proposal. gently caress.

He doubles down in the comments too

[an idiot who thinks he should have a say on the ring his wife wears literally every day, forever posted:

She said if she were to get a rock she'd like a sapphire, so I got a sapphire for her and diamond as my touch on the ring.

OP posted:

But why is our wedding/proposal just about her when she isn't even the one who cares about it? That sounds super selfish but, if you don't care where we eat and I'm craving a burger, picking sushi is kinda harsh, no?

op posted:

I thought she was saying it to seem easy going. Like when you give someone a gift they say 'Oh you shouldn't have!' but you'd be in trouble if you didn't get them anything. She can be a pretty literal person though.

op posted:

I feel like what I've planned is a good middle ground for both our tastes. Plus, if I'm honest, I would be kind of disappointed if our proposal story was breakfast in bed. I can just imagine her telling people at work about it and showing them this boring ring and thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat

“hurrrrr why my woman not like my choice of ring and proposal, my coworkers and male BFF think it’s great :downs:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
"low-key and intimate" aka a 50-headcount dinner party in front of her friends and family....wtf

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like the manager done goofed because it's starbucks. I'm sure at this point the OP could get a lawyer and say she was fired as retaliation over trying to report sexual harassment. Other coworkers knew of the situation too so it's not just her word against his.

Yeah, I can see that too. It's one of those I can see any Starbucks management twitchy as all hell after the racism outcry and likely having images of a repeat but with the disabled. Equally, the people who frequent Starbucks a lot are generally awful. Starbucks pretty much outsources most if not all it's phone work and I know quite a few people who are on the Starbucks campaign at one of the call centers out here and if it wasn't the crazy training where Starbucks apparently believes it's going to change the world one cup of coffee at a time, it's the calls which can go easily an hour over someone bitching that the barista dared to look them in the eye or they forgot the lite water for their coffee drink.

Incidentally, all the perks the baristas get does not happen to the phone reps. They just get one free Starbucks coffee a year.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

No one likes me [20sF]. How can I stop this quest for fame and proving people wrong from ruining my life?

quote:

Late 20's F - have never had a real social circle/social life, no one is interested in me, no one acknowledges me on social media, or in general - I get literally no attention. Zero. I have a couple "friends" but we barely have a real connection and maybe acknowledge each other every two months.

I'm not even weird - I'm cute, smart/pick things up quickly, easygoing, I have a lot of potential to be successful in life. Sadly, I am desperate for approval, and the years of literally no matter what I do getting zero attention, I've grown a strong and desperate thirst for fame. It's so bad that I've started to push myself for things that are nearly impossible, like becoming a famous artist, or a TV host. Even if it is at my detriment, when I could be focusing on a more practical career track and being successful at it.

My family wonders how someone like me can be so behind in life at this point, but I know it is because my quest to be loved/prove people that I am somebody they should want to be with - guides me.

TL;DR: No matter how much I like myself or how I feel about myself, and even if I act out of that self-love, I still don't ever seem to impress or even interest people in the slightest. At worst, they look at me like they feel sorry for me.

quote:

I want to prove people that theyre wrong and i am someone worth respect and who theyd want to connect to. I get some distant male attention but still the attention overallfrom everyone that i get is lower than anyone i know.

Get off social media and get a therapist.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I honestly pray her reddit post has no replies

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

HOT BREAD! posted:

Here’s another moron that was posted in the comments of that engagement ring story:

“hurrrrr why my woman not like my choice of ring and proposal, my coworkers and male BFF think it’s great :downs:

I've never hated an OP so much in my entire life...

LadyPictureShow posted:

No one likes me [20sF]. How can I stop this quest for fame and proving people wrong from ruining my life?

Well, that was a short lasting record.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

HOT BREAD! posted:

oh man this guy has the most incredible meltdown about "well I guess I'm just the BIGGEST rear end in a top hat IN THE WORLD THEN and my girlfriend has been SECRETLY MISERABLE ALL ALONG cause you guys just know EVERYTHING, huh? Huh???" and like, yeah probably

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 18, 2018

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

HOT BREAD! posted:

Behold! A man so thick he can shield a small village from a nuclear blast!

He is CAPTIANNNNN OBLIVIOUS!!!

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

Chick has seriously low self esteem for one. It doesn't sound like she has a focus in life either which kinda explains the desire to "become a famous artist, or a TV host". If she has an interest in art or performing, even if it is small, there is no reason why she should feel any hesitation to shoot for the stars. With acquired talent comes higher self-esteem. Talent mostly just requires lots of hard work, knowledge and dedication, sometimes leaving no room for socializing. It obviously doesn't solve all the problems, otherwise Amy Winehouse wouldn't have killed herself. Having talent eventually increases a person's social circle, sometimes with genuine people that become friends.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Dear guys, just let the girl pick out the ring she wants, budget notwithstanding, and be enthusiastic and tell her how nice it is, and that it really looks like her style. It’s on her finger, and she’s going to be the one looking at it. Plus if she decides later that it isn’t right, or it breaks or gets lost, you’ve already got the easy out and are the “good guy.”

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
[NSFW] My (25f) boyfriend (27m) won't have sex with me unless I orgasm first.

quote:

Throwaway account. I have a feeling this is gonna be a weird post, so I apologize in advance.

I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years, we've lived together for 1 year.

I was recently put onto a new medication to treat my depression. It's like a miracle drug - I feel human for the first time in months - but the downside is that my most noticeable side effect is an inability to orgasm. It doesn't matter what I do, I just can't get there. I managed it once: I was by myself, it took half an hour with porn and a vibe, and the orgasm itself was kind of uncomfortable and not very pleasurable. Basically I've accepted that I might never come the same again. It's frustrating, but the pros of these meds outweigh the cons, so I don't really care too much. My sex drive remains the same and sex still feels good, I just can't reach orgasm.

I told my boyfriend about this side effect after a couple of times of him trying and failing to get me off, but he seemed to see it as more of a challenge than a problem. I appreciate that he is willing to try really hard to make me feel good but it's starting to become an issue.

We do mix up our sex life quite a bit, but our general "usual routine" starts with foreplay, then him making me come, then us having PIV until he comes. This worked well before I was put on these meds, but not so well now. I've tried to ask him if we can just jump straight to PIV without bothering to try and make me come, but he's really determined that I need to do it. He says things like "you know the rules, you come first" or "I'm not putting it in until you come". These things are said in a playful, sexy tone, but it really piles the pressure on me and makes me frustrated. PIV sex still feels really good for me, so I'd rather do that. Laying there while he tries to get me off and knowing it won't happen just ruins the mood for me, and it ruins the mood for him when I ask him to stop because nothing is happening.

The thing is, I've actually faked orgasm a couple of times just to get things moving. I really regret doing that because I know it was counterproductive, and I feel deceptive and guilty for doing so. It was a huge mistake because now my boyfriend believes that I CAN get there if he keeps trying. I understand that this is entirely my fault for faking it, but I'm not sure how to dig myself out of this hole without hurting his feelings and damaging his trust.

Our relationship is otherwise great. We're really good at communicating issues, but I'm at a loss for how to approach this one. What's the best way to communicate to my boyfriend that I really can't orgasm any more, and would rather just have foreplay and PIV? Also, do I come clean about faking it a couple of times?

Note: I know that one solution to the whole thing is to try a new medication which might not have this side effect. However I've tried multiple antidepressants over the years and this is the best one by far for treating my illness. I don't want to end up back at square one with my mental health, because that is the most important thing. It's likely that I'll need to remain on this medication for the foreseeable future.

TL;DR: I can't orgasm any more because of medication. Boyfriend sees it as a challenge and is determined to make me come before he does. Not sure how to communicate my frustration.

I dated a girl with an issue like this when I was like 24, and it was entirely my young ego pushing me to behave similarly to this dude. Protip, even if you're convinced you're being a generous lover, loving listen to your partner or else you're being a selfish lover.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

all the hundreds of goofy traditions and rules and expectations tied to weddings seem pretty ridiculous until you realize they're a great litmus test for whether the person you're about to be legally tied to views you as a person worthy of serious thought or is one of the apparently huge number who just thinks of their spouse as the first biped they could browbeat into wearing a fancy outfit and standing as a prop for their special daaaaay

Buzkashi posted:

I dated a girl with an issue like this when I was like 24, and it was entirely my young ego pushing me to behave similarly to this dude. Protip, even if you're convinced you're being a generous lover, loving listen to your partner or else you're being a selfish lover.

yeah I was with her and the guy sounded like a dumbass until the part where she was faking orgasms, like way to send the unequivocal message that you're pulling some do what I mean not what I say poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 18, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

HOT BREAD! posted:

His username is accurate

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"low-key and intimate" aka a 50-headcount dinner party in front of her friends and family....wtf
50 headcount dinner party in the luxury suite at an NFL game with proposal during halftime at the 50 yard line.

Why is she running away?

Edit: SSRIs are such a double-edged sword. Here's a cure for depression, but it prevents orgasm. Yaaay

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 18, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Get off social media and get a therapist.
Guaranteed no one likes/pays attention to her because when they do she's clingier than a velcro octopus which shockingly is not an endearing quality.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Buzkashi posted:

It sounds like the guy has read that internet-favorite book "She Comes First," which, though containing useful tips for someone who's never performed oral sex before, was written by a premature ejaculator and, as such, really heavily emphasizes how important it is for the girl to have an orgasm before you even start doing anything with your cock, and doing otherwise makes you a selfish bad lover

Imo another case of a goon wanting to find a cold logical instruction guide for sex instead of having to deal with messy things like communication and variability

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sagebrush posted:

It sounds like the guy has read that internet-favorite book "She Comes First," which, though containing useful tips for someone who's never performed oral sex before, was written by a premature ejaculator and, as such, really heavily emphasizes how important it is for the girl to have an orgasm before you even start doing anything with your cock.

Imo another case of a goon wanting to find a cold logical instruction guide for sex instead of having to deal with messy things like communication and variability

Just get hard again! :clint:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

I've always had issues finishing with a new partner and can say from experience women take it just as personally as dudes. Perhaps even moreso because the social expectation is that guys are easy to get off.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ArbitraryC posted:

I've always had issues finishing with a new partner and can say from experience women take it just as personally as dudes. Perhaps even moreso because the social expectation is that guys are easy to get off.
seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I'd just fake it but I've had chicks who want to inspect the condom afterward :whitewater: