Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad SA is passed the point where goons felt the need to pretend that Homestar Runner wasn't amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
>Get Dagger

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm glad SA is passed the point where goons felt the need to pretend that Homestar Runner wasn't amazing
What kind of utterly wrong and broken people did that?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I wanna play Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl again but I forgot essential mods. Oblivion Lost was one of those, right?
Anything else I might need to prevent the game from crashing all the time?

edit: lol nvm someone bumped the stalker thread

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 18, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Homestar Runner was great and I'm glad they're getting a second wind so to speak.

>haldo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Who did this and where are they so we can wave torches and pitchforks around at them?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it bad that it got 4x the funding goal in a day?

Yeah, it's pretty emblematic of the ongoing board game glut/bubble when an unremarkable-looking game based on a 10 year old internet meme gets such an enthusiastic response.

Don't people ever get tired of buying multiple new games every year that get played maybe once, then gather dust on a shelf forever? Maybe it's just me?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ceyton posted:

Don't people ever get tired of buying multiple new games every year that get played maybe once, then gather dust on a shelf forever? Maybe it's just me?

I don’t think you get board game people. They play board games as enthusiastically as you or I play video games.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ceyton posted:

Yeah, it's pretty emblematic of the ongoing board game glut/bubble when an unremarkable-looking game based on a 10 year old internet meme gets such an enthusiastic response.

There is a place like five minutes from where I live that's a bar with shelves upon shelves of board games for patrons to use and a whole bunch of tables and the place is constantly packed. My dad has a huge collection and so do tons of people he knows, and they play them all the time. I do twice yearly 10 hour long TI4 games, etc.

Lots of people play board games a ton.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/NVGOTD/status/1019601292937891841

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Shortest Path posted:

That's fair.

It's really odd but more power to em I guess. I loved homestar runner as a kid, I'm just automatically extremely wary of kickstarters in general.

Has there been a board game kickstarter that failed like video game ones have? I feel like they don't run into the same issues since they always have a workable prototype at the start and just need to fund production and/or better art assets, not 2+ years of development.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well that seems like an idea that pleases no one

edit: strix nebulosa’s thing

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t think you get board game people. They play board games as enthusiastically as you or I play video games.

I should've said maybe it's just me and/or my group. We always seem to play new games once, then revert back to the cycle of Puerto Rico / Agricola / Terra Mystica.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ceyton posted:

It doesn't seem all that unremarkable, and I feel like writing homestar runner off as a 10 year-old internet meme is doing it a disservice.

The creators wanted to make a board game based on Trogdor after they started playing more board games with their kids, they decided to get some professional board game people to help and actually make something that is fun and works as a game, something co-op, and people online have decided they would like to support the homestar runner people in their endeavor to put out some more homestar runner content in the form of a neat-looking board game.

Sometimes people just like to buy things so that they can have them and play them a few times even if they don't necessarily get to play them a ton for whatever reason. There are similar things happening with steam games and steam backlogs but that's more due to the fact that there are so many bundles of games and game sales that it's not hard to end up racking up a bunch of games, many of which you're likely not going to play in the near future for one reason or another, whereas with board games, they tend to be more expensive and the biggest problem with playing a board game is actually getting people together to play it.

Basically, people think it looks neat so they want to support it and I don't see a problem with that. Then again, there were people that were mad about something called Exploding Kittens that was from something called The Oatmeal and I guess The Oatmeal is poorly received but a bunch of people like it and so they funded the hell out of their Exploding Kittens game, but I don't really care in that situation either because if I was familiar with The Oatmeal and thought the game looked dumb, I'd just not back it and forget about it like I've done with every other kickstarter I've seen that looked dumb. There are people that want those games and will back for them and eh it's not my place to step in and say "don't do this" unless the kickstarter in question is most definitely a scam, like a recent one where iirc it is still in the funding phase but it turned out that every piece of the game was copied verbatim from some other company's board game and they were just going to take the kickstarter money and run.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got snookered out of a copy of Exploding Kittens at a secret santa and I'm still a little mad

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Brothers Chaps are good people. One of them even helped bring Gravity Falls to life.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this morning we found a stray kitten and took care of it for about an hour. it ate the scrambled egg my gf made it and then peed on a pillow and then left

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You go find that kitten right now :mad:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's not a stray kitten, that's your kitten which is now missing

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

who wants to name looper's new kitten

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ZACHTRONICS IS MAKING A GAME ABOUT HACKING

I'm so loving pumped omg

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

who wants to name looper's new kitten

Cornelius Boots

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/973805949914963968

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Super Mario RPG makes sense when you notice that Nintendo just put "Mario" in front of every genre. Kart, Tennis, Party, etc. Still missing Super Mario FPS and Super Mario Clicker.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

hellll yeaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LawfulWaffle posted:

Super Mario RPG makes sense when you notice that Nintendo just put "Mario" in front of every genre. Kart, Tennis, Party, etc. Still missing Super Mario FPS and Super Mario Clicker.

Yoshi's Safari is essentially Super Mario FPS but Nintendo dropped the ball on their own naming convention

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ceyton posted:

yeha and with board games im even worse

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
we can't afford a pet and my gf's allergic to cats anyway and we had to go to work and there's a lot of cats wandering around our complex and I'm gonna look for it after work but this morning has sucked :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

like SHENZHEN I/O the NEW ZACHTRONICS GAME ABOUT HACKING has extra game book stuff outside the game that you're supposed to print out, and you can preorder it to get it professionally printed with other cool stuff. I did this for SHENZHEN and the binder was super loving rad so I'm all in on this!!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

God yes. I love how all his games are released days after the announcement, too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I still have to beat TIS-100 :supaburn:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if i wanted to play a zachtronics game i would've retained any information in my brain from those discrete mathematics courses i took

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That zine looks rad and I always want to punch deck, gonna get myself in the mood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l6arwAIA6w

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

God yes. I love how all his games are released days after the announcement, too.

He releases a game every loving year which is rad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really looking forward to Monster Hunter World on PC, just a couple more weeks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

an actual dog posted:

like SHENZHEN I/O the NEW ZACHTRONICS GAME ABOUT HACKING has extra game book stuff outside the game that you're supposed to print out, and you can preorder it to get it professionally printed with other cool stuff. I did this for SHENZHEN and the binder was super loving rad so I'm all in on this!!

What was inside the envelope, I never opened it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What was inside the envelope, I never opened it

I never opened it I don't know!!

I never finished shenzen tho I really really should.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

why doesn't this zach guy release his games on consoles so I can play them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's probably hard to type assembly code on consoles without a keyboard

• Locked thread