Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

The basement of the central tower in the crater has a door leading to the power control room, which lets you adjust which sections of the base are powered or (if you bring some extra control modules) power the whole thing up.

If there's a powered-off gravshaft, you can also climb it using gloo.

I brought two control modules with the first character of my 5-escape run just to make sure that everywhere had power. In general I felt like the crater tower was always a good place to go first so you can use the computer, adjust which areas have power, grab some weapons, and have a nice high jumping-off point towards whatever section of the base you need to go to.

Mooncrash is really well-designed and the only thing marring it is the lack of a postgame challenge mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Crater tower is almost too good. You're gauranteed a fabrication site, modules, and a shotgun almost immediately.

Not only that but it's a really easy way to lose the shark if you screw up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

goddamn it. does anyone remember, near the shuttle escape area there is a bar, next to said bar there is a storage area. I can't remember how to get in there. I know there's a maintenance hatch that should lead to it but I'm completely blanking on where it is. I need to get in to find some goddamn drinks for the trip home.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
IIRC, there is a maintenance hatch on the wall opposite that door (in the "lounge" area). Sometimes there is a broken power circuit zapping the area.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I thought there was just the power circuit, I'll check it out tonight.

Does anyone else get confused by the layout of the Moonworks area? I get turned around there far too easily.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

double nine posted:

goddamn it. does anyone remember, near the shuttle escape area there is a bar, next to said bar there is a storage area. I can't remember how to get in there. I know there's a maintenance hatch that should lead to it but I'm completely blanking on where it is. I need to get in to find some goddamn drinks for the trip home.

The woman with the key should be in the dining hall on the floor below.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Really Pants posted:

The woman with the key should be in the dining hall on the floor below.

All keys are randomized each run but the key panel tells you who has it so you can search via the security terminal. I don't think there's an alternative way into the bar closet, the maintenance hatch in the lobby area leads to the kitchen closet not the bar.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just hundred percented Mooncrash. Was very good. PS4 version has so much fuckin lag though, it's obscene.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh god why is the moonshark inside the moonworks area??!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

double nine posted:

Oh god why is the moonshark inside the moonworks area??!

Surprise :getin:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gadzuko posted:

All keys are randomized each run but the key panel tells you who has it so you can search via the security terminal. I don't think there's an alternative way into the bar closet, the maintenance hatch in the lobby area leads to the kitchen closet not the bar.

Some but not all keys are randomized. I don’t remember a run where that woman didn’t have that key. Some are a sort of predictable wildcard - on runs in which the suite next to Riley Yu’s is locked, you can always find the key on a body just to your left in the slightly elevated lounge as you enter the main Crew Annex area from the crater entrance. Sometimes the door is broken rather than locked, but when it’s locked the key is always there.

I wonder why they didn’t implement unpowered doors as a standard obstacle - there’s really no reason to run Bhatia through an unpowered sector when you could just scrounge two control modules, but I assume there just aren’t enough doors to effectively split obstacle clearing duty between him and the engineer.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I'm getting OK at this (base) game and can generally take on the bigger enemies with some prep (although I haven't killed a Nightmare yet) but the combat is still annoying in alot of ways. The wrench seems to whiff when it feels like it shouldn't, so I'm getting tooled on by greater mimics and corrupted operators which is a little embarrassing. Also, corrupted operators are just not fun to fight at all and they seem mostly unavoidable, am I missing something with them?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

wyoak posted:

I'm getting OK at this (base) game and can generally take on the bigger enemies with some prep (although I haven't killed a Nightmare yet) but the combat is still annoying in alot of ways. The wrench seems to whiff when it feels like it shouldn't, so I'm getting tooled on by greater mimics and corrupted operators which is a little embarrassing. Also, corrupted operators are just not fun to fight at all and they seem mostly unavoidable, am I missing something with them?

If you have the stun gun upgrade it a lot, it handles your problems with both mimics and operators really well

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

GLOO CURES OPERATORS

Basic Chunnel posted:

I wonder why they didn’t implement unpowered doors as a standard obstacle - there’s really no reason to run Bhatia through an unpowered sector when you could just scrounge two control modules, but I assume there just aren’t enough doors to effectively split obstacle clearing duty between him and the engineer.

i'd love a mode where there's just more hazards and broken poo poo and maybe a few more typhon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wyoak posted:

The wrench seems to whiff when it feels like it shouldn't, so I'm getting tooled on by greater mimics and corrupted operators which is a little embarrassing.

Mimics can dodge your wrench swings sometimes. Gloo them up first.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Prav posted:

GLOO CURES OPERATORS

mods name change plz

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you don’t get the jump on them and don’t have an upgraded stun gun, operators can be a real bitch to tag in combat as they tend to strafe your aim. Not a problem you have to worry about when you’ve got a portable firehose filled with rubber cement

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farrier Theaks posted:

mods name change plz

Prey - Just GLOO it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Farrier Theaks posted:

mods name change plz

GLOO GLOO GLOO, Farrier Theaks! GLOO GLOO GLOO!!!!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Prav posted:

GLOO CURES OPERATORS

i'd love a mode where there's just more hazards and broken poo poo and maybe a few more typhon

I really hope they do a mooncrash 2 or something if this sold well. There's so much potential to be explored in this space.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

I really hope they do a mooncrash 2 or something if this sold well. There's so much potential to be explored in this space.

Just give me a postgame where I can tweak all the Typhon spawns and disaster levels and poo poo.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Farrier Theaks posted:

mods name change plz

~be careful what you wish for~

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

MikeJF posted:

Prey - Just GLOO it

https://youtu.be/WOw8un7q_ME

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

in Pytheas Labs, can someone give me a hint on how to open the volunteer cells, especially the big cell that looks like the experimental chamber in psychotronics?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Any character can do that. Go to the lab room overlooking the volunteer quarters corridor (it’ll have a science chest in it and a weapons locker that’s almost always empty - basically the first on your right as you come up the short staircase past the volunteer corridor).

The open terminal there will have options to open four of the five cells, including the one at the end guarded by a typhon gate. The last cell (cell 3) you can only open as Riley Yu or possibly a hack-specced janitor, through the terminal on the first level of Yu’s office (which is itself located on the floor above the security station near the tram station).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mods changed my name posted:

~be careful what you wish for~

Ahahaha

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wyoak posted:

Grab the +50% wrench damage mod if you haven't. Gloo for the Mimics, and for the rest the upgraded Stun Gun turns them into a melee cheesefest with the bonus of being incredible ammo efficient, except for the Nightmare and Voltaic Phantoms. For the Voltaics you can throw an EMP, then Q-Beam/Shotgun to the face, or a Nullwave and then heavy melee perma-stunlock them to death like I do, as their stupid AOE lightning won't respawn as long as they stay down.

Hell, for my 2nd playthrough I just stunlocked and wrenched everything to death except the Nightmare and by 2/3 of the game I ended up with like 220 minerals, 600+ pistol ammo and 191 acquired Neuromods with enough material left for 61 more.

And oh, I like the concept of Mooncrash but I don't think I will like the artificial time limit corruption thingie.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 20, 2018

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Palladium posted:

And oh, I like the concept of Mooncrash but I don't think I will like the artificial time limit corruption thingie.

It's essentially a non-issue. If you really want to go slow and pick everything up (there's pretty much no reason to do this once you know your way around) there's an item you can unlock so that you can start with as many as you want each time that rolls back the clock a little way.

Mooncrash really rewards being aggressive and fast though, which makes the time limit a complete non-issue without needing to resort to the above.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

..btt posted:

It's essentially a non-issue. If you really want to go slow and pick everything up (there's pretty much no reason to do this once you know your way around) there's an item you can unlock so that you can start with as many as you want each time that rolls back the clock a little way.

Mooncrash really rewards being aggressive and fast though, which makes the time limit a complete non-issue without needing to resort to the above.
I didn't find the time delay blueprints until the very end of my game and still thought the corruption timer was nothing more than a fun piece of added pressure.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It clicks when you get cocky and end up with a bleeding wound or a broken leg (the foley artist really earned their pay on that one) without treatment options and you need to get across two maps to your objective

One of the self-imposed difficulties I use is only keeping one treatment item per injury per sim run. If you gently caress up you gotta find the one medical operator on the base.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 20, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It is pretty cool having to strip everything from the environment to turn into the bleed trauma fixer. Did transtar invent the recycler tech? I know it's implied that the Evacuation was a whole city getting recycled, which I imagine would be hard for any PR team to bounce back from.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Palladium posted:

It's barely a time limit at all, it's actually a really interesting difficulty slider

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Replaying Prey now, so I can get Mooncrash when I remember how to play again.

I forgot how good this was.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Replaying Prey now, so I can get Mooncrash when I remember how to play again.

shoot the aliens

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Really Pants posted:

shoot the aliens

*turns gun on self*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't shoot the aliens

Use your mind powers instead

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

MMF Freeway posted:

*turns gun on self*

It's a good thing the mirrors on Talos and Pytheas don't work, you might see two of a body part and pick the wrong one to mimic check.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Bogart posted:

It is pretty cool having to strip everything from the environment to turn into the bleed trauma fixer. Did transtar invent the recycler tech? I know it's implied that the Evacuation was a whole city getting recycled, which I imagine would be hard for any PR team to bounce back from.
By that point they had near-exclusive access to orbital development (Mooncrash does tease a KASMA deep space station in a funny kind of way) and have apparently locked down patents on a couple of different quantum technologies including false gravity / levitation and virtual immortality. That plus things like the contract slavery enumerated in Mooncrash indicating little (if any) governmental oversight point toward Transtar not being accountable to anything or anyone. One imagines they enslave Eastern European dissidents more because it’s easier from a logistics perspective than anything.

Prey has a cyberpunk setting but it doesn’t lean as hard on the contrast / interrelation between extreme capitalistic wealth and extreme poverty as most cyberpunk media does. Instead of being based in the slums and getting glimpses of the gilded upper crust who live their entire lives without ever setting foot on a street, it’s based in the penthouse and you only ever get broad notions of how bad things are for people not exceptional enough to work on Talos.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

..btt posted:

Well, I picked the DLC up for $15, just unlocked the Engineer and she is already a melee murder machine with the wrench damage mod.

EDIT: How do I get rid of the unskippable intro screens for the main game? I tried the removing the 5 offending videos in the GameSDK folder but that only worked for the DLC, the main game is stuck in a black screen for the entire intro length.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just finished the dlc (by having an "escape with all npcs" run), and I scratch my head at the people who say that crafting the time extension thingies makes things too easy. In my experience they're too ubiquitous even when you don't craft them.

I never crafted a single one, just used the ones that spawned randomly and my corruption level never went above 2. Now I did go through the trouble of killing all entities that can drop the time extenders, but in general I think that the timer maybe shouldn't be used in a "save all" run in order to keep it challenging?