Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

They renamed the touch bar to the emoji bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

:pusheen:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Jobs not dead tho. His will lives on as a secret AI built by the best minds secretly hired before his physical death.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Whoops. Wrong thread.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am so loving tired to so many things being tied to the operating system to force an upgrade.

The backstory here is that I've been using Apple products to make a yearly photo album each year since my daughter has been born. It's a Jan 1st to Dec 31st book, so I wouldn't be able to finished this years until Dec. 31st, technically. I built it each month as we go so it is not a huge chore to do at the end of the year, and I picked Apple to do it quite frankly because I thought it would be the easiest way to do it.

So I saw the news about Apple not doing printing from Photos anymore. Read about some extensions that let you do the same thing in Photos (Mimeo Photos). Try it at work, looks good. Go home, find it in the App store... loving program requires 10.13.

Goddamnit Apple. I am loving tired of this poo poo. I have a 2008 Mac Pro that runs perfectly fine but peaks out at 10.11. I don't have a Mac that runs 10.13 in my home.

In my 5 years into doing this, and these are the problems that I've run into.

2014 made in Aperture, no issues.
2015 made in Aperture, didn't finish until after they cut off photo printing in Aperture in like March. Force to upgrade the OS to get Photos to remake the book.
2016 made in Photos, no issues.
2017 made in Photos, no issues.
2018 half made in Photos with now no way to print when I am finished.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Upgrade your computer...? It's a decade old.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Astro7x posted:

I am so loving tired to so many things being tied to the operating system to force an upgrade.

The backstory here is that I've been using Apple products to make a yearly photo album each year since my daughter has been born. It's a Jan 1st to Dec 31st book, so I wouldn't be able to finished this years until Dec. 31st, technically. I built it each month as we go so it is not a huge chore to do at the end of the year, and I picked Apple to do it quite frankly because I thought it would be the easiest way to do it.

So I saw the news about Apple not doing printing from Photos anymore. Read about some extensions that let you do the same thing in Photos (Mimeo Photos). Try it at work, looks good. Go home, find it in the App store... loving program requires 10.13.

Goddamnit Apple. I am loving tired of this poo poo. I have a 2008 Mac Pro that runs perfectly fine but peaks out at 10.11. I don't have a Mac that runs 10.13 in my home.

In my 5 years into doing this, and these are the problems that I've run into.

2014 made in Aperture, no issues.
2015 made in Aperture, didn't finish until after they cut off photo printing in Aperture in like March. Force to upgrade the OS to get Photos to remake the book.
2016 made in Photos, no issues.
2017 made in Photos, no issues.
2018 half made in Photos with now no way to print when I am finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ6TomIhqcY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Over There posted:

Upgrade your computer..

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Over There posted:

If the hardware is working fine, it's excessive to have to buy a new computer just to be able to order a photo album. Probably the best long-term answer that doesn't tie you into mandated upgrades is find an old copy of Illustrator (or something compatible) and use it to design your own albums, and then you can shop around for a professional print service not reliant on an app.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

'oi govna! Looks like your face needs a REDESIGN!

I want to take the time to point out the person doing the emoji version decided it was a good call to keep the realistic neck, and shirt.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Over There posted:

We're on the timeline where Macs somehow get worse with each new iteration, sooo...

eames
May 9, 2009

Nude posted:

I want to take the time to point out the person doing the emoji version decided it was a good call to keep the realistic neck, and shirt.

Apple officially calls them memojis. I suspect they're going to see a lot of use in future AR/VR applications because they seem to be so invested in this stuff that I refuse to believe they're just doing it as a fun/pointless side project. :ohdear:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“We want in on this super hot mii action”

lua
Jun 16, 2013
I've got 2 Macs and a slow internet connection. macOS content caching seems like a good way to speed things up. Mac A has all my icloud music and photos stored locally but Mac B would usually get os updates first because I use it more.

Is it a stupid idea to enable content caching on both Macs? Will they happily download from each other, or will they freak out and think they're both servers only?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Theophany posted:

We're on the timeline where Macs somehow get worse with each new iteration, sooo...

I'm not sure where this mindset of older is better came from but buying a new version is literally an upgrade. I have a newer model and it's the laptop I've ever had. :shrug:

Computer can't do thing? Maybe you need something new. You can probably even get a couple year old version for cheap.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Over There posted:

I'm not sure where this mindset of older is better came from

Old 11" MBA > new MBAs because they only come in 13".
Old keyboards > new keyboards.
Old iPhones with touch ID > new ones without it.
Old iTunes that didn't forget its device syncing and artwork > new ones that are bugged.
Old iOS base apps > new ones.

So there. :proof: :clint:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tippis posted:

Old 11" MBA > new MBAs because they only come in 13".
Old keyboards > new keyboards.
Old iPhones with touch ID > new ones without it.
Old iTunes that didn't forget its device syncing and artwork > new ones that are bugged.
Old iOS base apps > new ones.

So there. :proof: :clint:

:hmmyes:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Over There posted:

I'm not sure where this mindset of older is better came from but buying a new version is literally an upgrade. I have a newer model and it's the laptop I've ever had. :shrug:

Computer can't do thing? Maybe you need something new. You can probably even get a couple year old version for cheap.

I was being somewhat facetious. No doubt the hardware is faster but the compromises that hardware foists upon users can be a bit much. For example, it was cool that Apple aggressively pushed FireWire 400 and later 800 because for a time it was faster than USB, but it was equally cool that they didn't take the choice out of my hands.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Theophany posted:

I was being somewhat facetious. No doubt the hardware is faster but the compromises that hardware foists upon users can be a bit much. For example, it was cool that Apple aggressively pushed FireWire 400 and later 800 because for a time it was faster than USB, but it was equally cool that they didn't take the choice out of my hands.

Yeah it seems like their idea is that they're leading the way for consumer products so if they rip the band-aid off now, it will lead to everyone adapting to the new technology. Like I'm assuming they thought most products would move to USB-C now because of the MBP and didn't have to keep selling the dongles to let people use basic functions.

eames
May 9, 2009

Over There posted:

I'm not sure where this mindset of older is better came from but buying a new version is literally an upgrade.

I think a big part of this is that computers are generally fast enough and not really getting any faster, so the older machines remain perfectly viable alternatives with some trade offs.

i.e. 2003 a 17" Powerbook G4 with a single core 1.33 GHz processor cutting edge, late 2008 (ok actually Jan 2009) you could already order a unibody MacBook Pro with a dual core 2.93 GHz CPU.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Over There posted:

Yeah it seems like their idea is that they're leading the way for consumer products so if they rip the band-aid off now, it will lead to everyone adapting to the new technology. Like I'm assuming they thought most products would move to USB-C now because of the MBP and didn't have to keep selling the dongles to let people use basic functions.

True and fair portion of blame has to fall with device manufacturers as well for not leaning into it. I'm sure I could live with a new MBP without being a tremendous weeny about it; I'd definitely miss the SD card reader and MagSafe but their absence wouldn't completely ruin the experience.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Over There posted:

I have a 2008 Mac Pro at home. I have an iMac Pro at work.

When it comes to doing daily stuff on it (Internet, mail, using Photos, etc.) there is absolutely no difference between the two when it comes to performance. NONE! The computers are literally 10 years apart in age, but show no real notable difference in performance, speed, stability, etc. with SSDs and a ton of Ram in it. I don't have complaints about the computer at all.

Now it's completely different when it comes to professional apps. I do video editing, and while I use modern stuff at work and the iMac Pro kills my Mac Pro in terms of render times, my old copy of Final Cut Pro 7 still works fine for at home. It's paid for, I don't need to pay for Creative Cloud each month when I want to edit a stupid video with my kid.

Even if I could upgrade to High Sierra, it's literally putting me in the position of
a) Upgarde to High Sierra to print out this half finished photo book, or...
b) Keep El Capitan and continue using Final Cut Pro 7, which no longer works on High Sierra

Over There posted:

I am generally in the boat of if it is fine to don't fix it.

For instance, the AFP file transfer protocol literally gets worse with every iteration of MacOS. Switching to SMB has just caused so many problems because of illegal file characters used in AFP that the switch is just such a hassle it is not worth it to have to constnatly rename files within applications because it can't find the path.

At work we literally kept Snow Leopard on machines for as long as possible. We were eventually forced to upgrade to Yosemite and the connection go slower. You'll click on folders in finder and it will take 5 seconds for the contents to show up. We just got iMac Pros on High Sierra and it has gotten even worse. Even more lag going through files in finder, file sizes not updating... I have an old legacy machine that connects to the server just fine, but the loving 2018 iMac Pro cannot open a empty folder template at times on a server connected over 10 GbE instantly.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Theophany posted:

True and fair portion of blame has to fall with device manufacturers as well for not leaning into it. I'm sure I could live with a new MBP without being a tremendous weeny about it; I'd definitely miss the SD card reader and MagSafe but their absence wouldn't completely ruin the experience.

Hmm yeah the no SD card is strange, I also mentioned last night that I wish it still had MagSafe. I don't really understand it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Over There posted:

Apple's track record at leading the charge hasn't been great. Like, USB and CD drives were good, but FireWire and thunderbolt were largely duds. And not having a floppy drive was Very inconvenient at the time (above and beyond the inconveniences of having a Mac).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ItBreathes posted:

Apple's track record at leading the charge hasn't been great. Like, USB and CD drives were good, but FireWire and thunderbolt were largely duds. And not having a floppy drive was Very inconvenient at the time (above and beyond the inconveniences of having a Mac).

Yeah it seems like they're trying to keep you from using devices so you will focus on the cloud. Which is nice, but when I need to upload stuff from the drone, I have to use my iMac instead.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ItBreathes posted:

but FireWire and thunderbolt were largely duds.

Disagree. For many years, FireWire was just What You Used for external hard drives on a Mac. Remember, this is back when USB was slow as dogshit and couldn't touch 400Mb/s.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

USB also choked the CPU, whereas firewire used its own controller.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When my 2013 MBP dies I'm going to weep because I can't see myself replacing it with another Apple product. I think my Apple computer days are nearing their end. :corsair:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AlternateAccount posted:

Disagree. For many years, FireWire was just What You Used for external hard drives on a Mac. Remember, this is back when USB was slow as dogshit and couldn't touch 400Mb/s.

I think port used solely for connecting a handful of peripherals to Macs only qualifies as a dud. It was technically superior, sure, but adoption was limited and now they're mostly just an oddity in everyone's box of random cables. The way of the future it wasn't.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ItBreathes posted:

I think port used solely for connecting a handful of peripherals to Macs only qualifies as a dud. It was technically superior, sure, but adoption was limited and now they're mostly just an oddity in everyone's box of random cables. The way of the future it wasn't.

B-b-b-b-but... MiniDV was used from camcorders even on PCs! Yeah, alright -_-

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I had to buy a separate FireWire card for my Windows PC at the time, and if I even breathed while doing a capture it would drop frames like crazy. I can only imagine the macs at the time handled it far better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ugh having flashbacks to copying DV tapes to Macs. I'm so glad tape (apart from archiving) is dead.
Our first year of college we still used DAT :gonk: the machines all broke (thank gently caress) and we got some digital recorders.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m actually in the market for a DSR-11 (or similar deck) as I want to get back to archiving about 100-150 tapes. I’m never doing it from a camera deck ever again.

eames
May 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

When my 2013 MBP dies I'm going to weep because I can't see myself replacing it with another Apple product. I think my Apple computer days are nearing their end. :corsair:

If Mac minis and Mac Pros are any indication you could buy a new 2015 as a spare and if yours survives you’ll be able to sell the sealed spare with profit in a couple of years.
I thought about doing that but realised we’re only 2-3 macOS releases from Apple dropping support for machines without a T1/T2 chip.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ugh having flashbacks to copying DV tapes to Macs. I'm so glad tape (apart from archiving) is dead.
Our first year of college we still used DAT :gonk: the machines all broke (thank gently caress) and we got some digital recorders.

Tape was better than the mini optical disks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ItBreathes posted:

It was way better than USB even when 2.0 came out (plus FW800 was still twice as fast)
It was so nice to be able to plug a laptop into a stack of HD's, optical drives, and video camera.

Firewire was never meat for keyboards and mice I don't know why people always brought that up.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I used FireWire network sharing for a while rather than buy a router. Worked for what I needed it for.

Violator
May 15, 2003

What's the best practices for setting up port forwarding? I've got it setup and working on my router, but wondering how to reduce my security risks. I'm doing file sharing, so it's port 22 locally. Should I some use weird port number publicly? Making sure my Firewall is turned on? Anything else? I'm pretty basic on my network security knowledge and doing a bunch of googling to find out what I can.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Violator posted:

What's the best practices for setting up port forwarding? I've got it setup and working on my router, but wondering how to reduce my security risks. I'm doing file sharing, so it's port 22 locally. Should I some use weird port number publicly? Making sure my Firewall is turned on? Anything else? I'm pretty basic on my network security knowledge and doing a bunch of googling to find out what I can.
Best practice would be to not port forward, instead VPN into your router/firewall and then share from there