Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Brown Moses posted:

Elsewhere, someone did some research into the main influencer accounts around the discussion of MH17 on Twitter.

Any idea who/what that "surely the truth must be in the middle" label is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Balls status: still unsucked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Well the Russian Mission to the UN took the opportunity on the 4th anniversary of MH17 being shot down to yet again accuse Bellingcat of using fake evidence:
https://twitter.com/RussiaUN/status/1019262892544348160

And the Russian Foreign Ministry also put out a statement which included an attack on us:
http://www.mid.ru/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/3297701

Elsewhere, someone did some research into the main influencer accounts around the discussion of MH17 on Twitter.

The position of your name on that influence penis is very thematically appropriate.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Dry Ball Moses

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Brown Moses posted:

I am surprised that Graham '15 yrs old fiancée' Philips is that influential, I would guess some other Russian media would be more visible in that graph. Are those results published somewhere?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Dwesa posted:

I am surprised that Graham '15 yrs old fiancée' Philips is that influential, I would guess some other Russian media would be more visible in that graph. Are those results published somewhere?

I can't find a report that mentions it, and the original Tweet was deleted. Phillips was very active on social media on MH17 stuff, so that probably accounts for that. Apparently he just had his Russian visa revoked, so he might have trouble getting back to his new teenage wife in Eastern Ukraine seeing he's banned from entering Ukraine by normal means.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/unian-we-will-not-tolerate-illegal-capture-of-ukrainian-ships-in-azov-sea-says-poroshenko.html

world cup war is late

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Russia had a big diplomatic fail with Greece recently.

Apparently they figured that they had to throw oil on the fire of the whole [Northern] Macedonia naming fiasco, presumably in an attempt to keep the Greek veto on NorMac joining NATO. But they got caught doing that, and this pissed the Greeks off, who expelled the two Russian diplomats accused of interfering.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/11/greece-to-expel-russian-diplomats-over-alleged-macedonia-interference

Now you know the drill: normally, Russia would protest that they are as innocent as a newborn lamb, and expel two Greek diplomats in retaliation, and this stops there. But that wasn't enough, Russia decided to force their hand. They tried to brush Greece's anger over this meddling in the Macedonia Naming Dispute™ as Greece being pressured by other NATO countries, instead of something that the Greeks really care about on their volition.
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/wireStory/russia-greece-taking-part-dirty-provocations-nato-56674009

So now the Greeks are really pissed off, and a visit by the Russian foreign minister to Greece has been canceled.
http://en.protothema.gr/breaking-news-russian-foreign-minister-sergey-lavrovs-visit-to-greece-cancelled/

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
lol Russia you moron, the Greeks are your best possible friends in NATO and the EU alike. This is the equivalent of Trump managing to have a fight with Canada.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1) What's Bulgaria been up to? Has their economy grown much since the 2000s?
2) What separates Bulgarian culture from the rest of the former yugoslavs?
3) Was the power and influence of the Second Bulgarian Empire considered worse than the first's?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
ACTUALLY Russia is just protecting itself as the devil NATO is enroaching on her borders, meddling in Russia's rightful sphere of influence, cursed yankee spitting on the sacred slavic clay

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

3) Was the power and influence of the Second Bulgarian Empire considered worse than the first's?

I missed your homework assignment requests, Grouchio.

For starters, Bulgaria is not a "former yugoslav"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Bulgaria is the land of yoghurt and heresy. Did you know? The word "bugger" derives from "bulgar" and originally meant a heretic, before the meaning drifted to buttsexery. In conclusion, Bulgaria is a land of contrast.

Please use this in your essay.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Balkan-Wars-1912-1913-Prelude-Warfare/dp/0415229472

https://books.google.com/books?id=9...Churchill%2C%20'the%20dominant%20factor%20in%20the%20Balkans%20in%201914%20and%201915&f=false

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm not writing any essays, I just wanted to know more about Bulgaria after some medieval era research yesterday for fun.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, to start with, being a Bulgarian nation confers many benefits.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
It seems likely that Trump agreed to a referendum on partitioning Ukraine during his summit with Putin.

The administration was sent a proposal detailing an apparently agreed upon plan for a referendum, which they rejected.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...urce=reddit.com

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Yep, and since the POTUS is also noted to be parroting the useful idiot narrative of "people speak Russian in Crimea so it should belong to Russia, besides it's already done and Russia is not giving it back", stuff like this is important to see:

https://twitter.com/soskoter/status/1020539655022768128

This is a video that Crimeans recorded for Putin to tell him about the bad boyars, their economic situation being worse than in 2014, small and middle business being strangled and so on. Not to say that if there was a legit referendum the local pensioneer army wouldn't vote to join Russia, but the sanctions are making life hard for both the locals and Moscow and it is absolutely possible to make it not worth keeping it for Putin or eventually the establishment that will take control after him. Hopefully that happens before the far-right wave in the EU :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So has Trump also agreed to partition the US between England and Spain?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

HorrificExistence posted:

It seems likely that Trump agreed to a referendum on partitioning Ukraine during his summit with Putin.

The administration was sent a proposal detailing an apparently agreed upon plan for a referendum, which they rejected.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...urce=reddit.com

lmao, I'm sure he has no idea what he agreed to or what the talks were even about so this will just peter out. it's funny as hell though and will probably scare some Ukrainians.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

So has Trump also agreed to partition the US between England and Spain?

What about the French (with the Louisiana purchase)? :thunk:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Horseshoe theory posted:

What about the French (with the Louisiana purchase)? :thunk:

Nobody natively speaks French anymore in the USA, except for some recent African immigrants.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Cat Mattress posted:

Nobody natively speaks French anymore in the USA, except for some recent African immigrants.

There's one weird trick for that: you put the people that live on a land, say, a peninsula of some sort, into trains and send them to a far away desert and then settle the newly empty land with the people that speak a language you need

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

lmao, I'm sure he has no idea what he agreed to or what the talks were even about so this will just peter out. it's funny as hell though and will probably scare some Ukrainians.

When Putin comes to Washington DC this fall they will discuss giving back Alaska!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

When Putin comes to Washington DC this fall they will discuss giving back Alaska!
He will sell it back at twice the original price. Such a great deal!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cat Mattress posted:

Cajuns and some Quebec people who ended up on the wrong side of the border in north New England.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69lHxl2HUfA

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cat Mattress posted:

It's about 1.5 million or so, maybe approaching 2.5 million when you include full on French creoles too (mostly that's Haitian Creole). About on par with the native Tagalog and Vietnamese speakers, well behind those speaking "Chinese" but that counts up Mandarin and Cantonese and all the rest as a single thing.

None of it compares in scale to the over 40 million native Spanish speakers, but it's still enough to matter in a few states.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Washington Post did a piece on Bellingcat and Russia's attacks on our work, all of which suck, "A dispatch from the fight against Russian disinformation — and a place where truth is winning, it has a particularly good kicker:

quote:

Last month, Dmitry Polyanskiy, Russia’s representative to the United Nations accused Bellingcat of faking a photograph of the missile launcher because, he said, the shadows were wrong. Claims of incorrect shadows have been a staple of conspiracy theories from Lee Harvey Oswald to the moon landing, and Toler quickly pointed out his mistakes.

“It’s just so pathetic, the quality of their work,” Higgins said. “If they aren’t plagiarizing stuff, they’re just making these really stupid statements. Obviously, the Russian foreign ministry doesn’t have any actual evidence.

“They might as well just be calling me ‘fake news’ for all the evidence they’ve got,” he said.

On Wednesday, several days after we spoke, Higgins sent me a message via Twitter. He had just come across a letter sent by the Russians to the United Nations on the MH17 anniversary.

Among the “causes for concern” about the investigation into MH17, the letter from Polyanskiy said, was the investigators’ “collaboration with pseudo investigators from Bellingcat” — a group “known for their fake news.”

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Pretty sure that happened in Kiev.

https://twitter.com/nwarikoo/status/1023243485665787904

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's just his angle for annexing the rest of Ukraine

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Anti- pension "reform" protests,

I'm the tsarist flags lol

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why, yes, of course, that makes sense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HorrificExistence posted:

Anti- pension "reform" protests,

I'm the tsarist flags lol

It's just a flag of Kursk Oblast' (not really).

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 29, 2018

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I played way too much Red Orchestra 2, because I immediately recognized the famous Volgograd grain elevator in the background.

edit: nope i'm mistaken, looks very similar though.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 29, 2018

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

How many of them are even old enough to remember the Soviet Union?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Xerxes17 posted:

I played way too much Red Orchestra 2, because I immediately recognized the famous Volgograd grain elevator in the background.

I just automatically assumed that that pic would be from eastern ukraine. I think I first saw that flag in some sort of Novorossiya propaganda piece.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

I just automatically assumed that that pic would be from eastern ukraine. I think I first saw that flag in some sort of Novorossiya propaganda piece.

You were correct, i reverse image searched and got a bunch of hits for Donetsk stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xerxes17 posted:

Understandably, as the architecture is doubtlessly common in the region, the granary of Soviet Union. These kinds of structures were centrally planned.