Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you’re going to get an XC90, then get the best XC90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FAUXTON posted:

Gotta spend all your money to make some money :grin:

There's a grain of truth to that! Or maybe even a pocketful of truth sand.

Owners of these $20 to $100M properties think that their agent needs to be well acquainted with money to do a good job. It's dumb, but I need my phone to ring if I want food on the table.

howdoesishotweb posted:

What qualifies as flashy in (I’m assuming) urban commercial real estate? Bentley, Alfa Romeo?

Okay car chat has been started so this is a cross post from the goals thread as I failed my don’t buy a car challenge (S5)

Now I don’t mind dropping the kids off at daycare taking the winding, hilly country roads! Donated the Acura to my brother, so at least he has a functional car too.

Anything under 3 years old and over $75k, really. No SUVs unless it's a dumbass model X or fancy Volvo or some such

Your car looks fun and neat.

I'm trying to decide between a BMW m2 or m4. The m4 has a little more clout but the m2 is a younger man's car and helps play up the high roller bachelor angle I'm going for (you can't just be a normal person in real estate, I checked)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Owners of these $20 to $100M properties think that their agent needs to be well acquainted with money to do a good job. It's dumb, but I need my phone to ring if I want food on the table.

Anything under 3 years old and over $75k, really. No SUVs unless it's a dumbass model X or fancy Volvo or some such

I'm trying to decide between a BMW m2 or m4. The m4 has a little more clout but the m2 is a younger man's car and helps play up the high roller bachelor angle I'm going for (you can't just be a normal person in real estate, I checked)

There are less than 50 active properties in the entire United States at the price range you've listed above.

Selling even one of these properties would earn you enough on one side of the transaction to be able to afford a $75k car in cash without stopping to think about it (and the rest of your year's salary, to boot.)

If you earn $60k a year, you're not selling $20M houses.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 18, 2018

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
If you need it to be flashy, then it can't be 10 years old either right? So wouldn't leasing be much better?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There are less than 50 active properties in the entire United States at the price range you've listed above.

Selling even one of these properties would earn you enough on one side of the transaction to be able to afford a $75k car in cash without stopping to think about it (and the rest of your year's salary, to boot.)

If you earn $60k a year, you're not selling $20M houses.

It's commercial real estate. Probably differs from residential?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
He’s talking about commercial property, and there are a hell of a lot more than 50 in that range. I understand what he is talking about regarding the car but the threshold for acceptable is a lot lower than $75k.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The commission on commercial real estate is still 4% right? How are you making $60k selling this stuff unless you're like the assistant to the assistant?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The commission on commercial real estate is still 4% right? How are you making $60k selling this stuff unless you're like the assistant to the assistant?

Lot of people got to eat brother, there are a lot of fingers in the pie and probably savvy commercial sellers negotiate their commissions way down because who the gently caress is going to pay a four or six million dollar broker commission or whatever on a property sale. Attorneys don't even charge that much in legal fees for multibillion dollar bond deals.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah it's entire apartment complexes, not super luxury homes. You split the commission with the other agent, and 80% of the commission goes to the firm each year until you hit a certain threshold and get to keep 100%.

potatoducks posted:

If you need it to be flashy, then it can't be 10 years old either right? So wouldn't leasing be much better?

I am strongly considering this too! Seems like it might be the better idea since you can hop between new cars every couple years. How short can auto leases get?

Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

On one hand I am in no position to begrudge somebody who wants to drive a sports car, on the other hand LOL at the idea that driving an M4 will concretely fetch you more commissions than a three year old 3 Series at 1/3 the price

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Agree. If you want to pay for a nice car sure go ahead whatever, but I highly doubt it's gonna make a significant difference.

Market yourself as the post-car millennial who just ubers everywhere and orders from doordash every night.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Heh, that's really funny that you specifically mention the 3 series. You spend a lot of time just chatting with owners and brokers waiting for people to show up at inspections, and I hear more snide remarks about the 3 series than any other car.

The not real BMW

The poor man's Beamer

Baby's first car

BMW starts with 5

Etc

This job really whets your appetite for some guillotinin'

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Your numbers still don't really add up though. You sell like one property a year or something?

Jan 11, 2004
Buy a used 4 series with the sport package on it and then go online and buy an M4 badge and stick it on there, you will never casually run into anybody who can tell the difference but you will live with the enduring pain of having to drive a car with a torque converter automatic instead of a DCT

Jan 11, 2004

potatoducks posted:

Your numbers still don't really add up though. You sell like one property a year or something?

He already told you he didn't have a luxury enough
sports car yet in order to sell properties, stop giving him a hard time before he even buys the M4

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

potatoducks posted:

$85,000 is 70% of $120,000. I didn't even think I gave any numbers out other than the 70%

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

He already told you he didn't have a luxury enough
sports car yet in order to sell properties, stop giving him a hard time before he even buys the M4

Heehee. I've got good relations with a ton of owners, but they give me their local/regional assets instead of their national ones. I'm going to see if an image overhaul helps me make the jump.

Gotta have the tools. You wouldn't fault a surgeon for buying nice scalpels!

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heh, that's really funny that you specifically mention the 3 series. You spend a lot of time just chatting with owners and brokers waiting for people to show up at inspections, and I hear more snide remarks about the 3 series than any other car.

The not real BMW
Then why are you talking about spending more than your annual salary on either a 3-series coupe, or a shrunken 3-series coupe with a back seat that only fits children?

If you absolutely have to drive a new BMW to earn a salary in your chosen field, lease a 530i or something. CPO off-lease cars are cheaper but lose a ton of value in the 60-100k mile range when you have to replace literally everything, anything older has the potential to be very expensive to own and won't impress the people you're describing here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should definitely lease and you should lease something that isn't so gauche

modern bmws are for tracksuited slavs

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My last name is literally Kuznetsov soooo guess I'm half way there

Wow, BMW leases do not pencil out well at ALL

Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My last name is literally Kuznetsov soooo guess I'm half way there

Wow, BMW leases do not pencil out well at ALL

Completely depends upon the vehicle in question. 3 series lease pretty well, high MSRP sports coupes not so well.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Buy a used 4 series with the sport package on it and then go online and buy an M4 badge and stick it on there, you will never casually run into anybody who can tell the difference but you will live with the enduring pain of having to drive a car with a torque converter automatic instead of a DCT

How perfect is this for the Fake It Til You Make It lifestyle, hahaha. I love it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

One hundred and ten thousand percent surgeons do not buy their own scalpels.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah I get semantics are more important than the point.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I also don't cut my listings open with a tiny sharp knife, it's not a perfect metaphor.

But somebody at some level of the process pays for scalpels, and I bet they don't buy the cheapest available, because there is a lot on the line to doing a good job with the delicate operation.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

All the private practice ones who have ambulatory surgery centers do. Owned. :smug:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

How about this for an analogy - no other professional in any other field would consider spending 115% of their yearly W2 on a rapidly depreciating asset as a cost of doing business unless said asset was specifically held by a business and played by the rules of accounting for purposes of establishing a depreciation schedule that could be utilized as a tax advantage.

For some content, why don't you try to see what kind of nonsense you can lease, instead?

https://leasehackr.com

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
115% sounds crazy, makes my 70% of after tax and after 401K proposition seem downright reasonable

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I'm just impressed we found the person that believes the BMW 4 series is a different car than the 3 series.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol at the thought of a hospital buying anything but the cheapest equipment.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

howdoesishotweb posted:

Lol at the thought of a hospital buying anything but the cheapest equipment.

Every time a piece of equipment breaks or fails to work as intended I roll my eyes and loudly announce to whomever is within earshot, "LOW BIDDER."

It gets laughs every time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

70% post tax is retarded sorry

i am a Car Retard and recently blew too much money on an 18 year old BMW and I think your idea sucks balls because you are doing it to impress assholes

get a Giulia, lease rates are dope, or a Maserati Ghibli on a lease. then you can dickwave in the finest chrysler 300 known to man

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why does owning an institutional-grade apartment complex make you an rear end in a top hat?? And take their money =/= trying to impress them.

Giulias are rad and it would be great to say "mmmmmmmmmmmy Italian Sportscar must be around here somewhere! Where oh where did I leave my Italian Sportscar"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the ghibli actually has absurdly cheap lease rates so you should do that, plus they sound good and you can beat your meat about your maserati all the time

people are assholes if they care what car you drive in a negative way

edit: if you must buy an M car you should buy a 1M because they hold their value ridiculously well

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

people are assholes if they care what car you drive in a negative way

Aw, I don't think that's really fair. Regardless of where you are on the socioeconomic scale, I bet you primarily interact with and feel at ease when with people of similar means. It's no different when dealing with the extremely wealthy - dressing and acting the part is just a form of customer service and doing your job well.

Compare it to like... if you were on trial and your lawyer showed up wearing cargo shorts and a wife-beater. Seems like he isn't taking your interests very seriously!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edit: this was needlessly harsh

man, if you want to buy the car, buy the car. I'm all for it, they're both good cars and are fun to drive (except modern BMWs are not that good anymore). I just hate that people buy cars as status symbols and that people are dicks about their cars. Don't feed in to that poo poo, it's bad for everyone.

edit: also despite being a filthy 1%er I don't actually like interacting with a lot of people in that bracket because they are shallow status obsessed dickheads like the people you work with!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 18, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If my broker shows up in a better suit than mine and a flashy car, I assume he’s charged his previous customers way too much and he’s going to try and do the same to me.

So I hire another broker.

This isn’t real estate though so what do I know.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't feed in to that poo poo, it's bad for everyone.

You're spot on with this, but it's a lot to ask me to pay the (literal) price to be the one that rejects the dog and pony show and makes a statement.

I gotta get paid, man.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I fully understand the dynamic that gogogadgetchris is talking about (I work in M&A and the same dynamic is present in this world) and he isn’t wrong that their is an expectation issue, he’s just vastly overestimating what would be considered acceptable in order to justifying being BWM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You're spot on with this, but it's a lot to ask me to pay the (literal) price to be the one that rejects the dog and pony show and makes a statement.

I gotta get paid, man.

you can probably lowkey reject it by not getting an M car at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can probably lowkey reject it by not getting an M car at least

M cars really don't seem to be a smart financial move, any way you slice it. There's no doubt plenty of cars that check off all the same boxes in a way that isn't a bucket of $$$ up front and a handful of pennies to show for it years down the line.