Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

McDragon posted:

for the longest time I thought this was what real tasers were like.

I was probably like 14 when it finally dawned on me that wasps aren't called "Zingers" in English and that was just the name used in Donkey Kong Country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mortal Kombat XL is stupid as hell in the best way. It's fun and self-aware and the fighting feels meaty, plus you can get machete'd in the head by Jason. It's not even a fatality.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think it's really cool how MK got legacy horror villains(Leatherface, Predator, Jason, Xenomorph) and Injustice got legacy comic book heroes(Atom, Ninja Turtles, Hellboy)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Love me some Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, just the absolute joy in what he's doing is infectious.

My fav is the Ridge Racer crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIyhYLfQ0A

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Samuringa posted:

I think it's really cool how MK got legacy horror villains(Leatherface, Predator, Jason, Xenomorph) and Injustice got legacy comic book heroes(Atom, Ninja Turtles, Hellboy)

yeah, i'm a huge fan of this too. i'm glad Netherrealms made such a solid comeback

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Abugadu posted:

Love me some Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, just the absolute joy in what he's doing is infectious.

My fav is the Ridge Racer crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIyhYLfQ0A

Heck yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM_SRHNOPTM

Have fun deciphering some of the lines. I remember a thread on a different forum where it took multiple people to solve that puzzle.
Edit: You have probably dip into some kind of video game music group (is DC++ still a thing?), but there is almost an entire album dedicated to the dude.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Jul 17, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Mortal Kombat XL is stupid as hell in the best way. It's fun and self-aware and the fighting feels meaty, plus you can get machete'd in the head by Jason. It's not even a fatality.

Yeah, Mortal Kombat really nails a very fun tone all around. One thing that actually kind of turned me off from Street Fighter and the like was that it seemed to kinda vacillate wildly between outright slapstick and taking itself surprisingly seriously. MK on the other hand goes right for that self-aware B-movie flair and nails it exactly. I still haven't gotten tired of Cassie sassing literally everyone she meets, be they literal gods or not. :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Your end is near!"
"You best keep your hands off it."

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

In the story for the head of the facility, you're given the mission to upload all the data into a device which is what the spy eventually places the bug onto. Then you launch it. And then the rival corporation picks up the device and delivers it to a third-party contractor who is tasked with analyzing the data on it, which is the data that you are currently acting through the simulation on.

Man, I didn't even realize that's the same data vault.

But yeah moon crash is a super interesting take on giving a rogue-like a pretty decent sorry to uncover.

Edit: oh poo poo (end game spoiler)

I just realized you actually use the hack tool the janitor uses on the data vault in her story to crash the satellite your in on the moon to get to the shuttle.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Jul 17, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TontoCorazon posted:

Man, I didn't even realize that's the same data vault.

Yeah I only realized this because after her story, you find the crypto key or whatever that she put inside the datavault.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing Need for Speed: Payback and it's basically the same old same with regard to NFS games but they do one thing I haven't seen before. There is some bit of a storyline and there's a lot of dialogue that comes with it.

If you're doing a mission, there's chatter back and forth through the race of people telling you what your mission is, advancing the story, stuff like that. If you're doing a mission and this is going on and you crash and have to start over, the dialogue only picks back up where it left off before the crash.

So if you're really poo poo at racing games like I am and have to do missions several times over you don't go insane listening to the same dialogue over and over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Divinity 2

AreYouSureAboutThatJohnCena.GIF

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
When you find a regular ol' chest in the new God of War and you tell Kratos to open it, he does so by smashing his fist straight down through the lid, destroying it. That's our Kratos!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Inzombiac posted:

Divinity 2

AreYouSureAboutThatJohnCena.GIF

You can't break what's already broken!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3: I like the little minor appearance changes you can make by pressing start. Luffy will put his hat on, Zoro will tie his bandana on, Sanji buttons up his shirt and straightens his tie. The really nice touch is that one character, Tashigi will take her glasses off and the game will- not including her- actually get blurrier if you don't put them on. Since I also have terrible eyes and need to wear glasses I thought it was just me at first until I messed around with it for a second.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was in the mood to reinstall Mortal Kombat X this morning and I think they've continued to add little entries in the feed to Cassie's selfie fatality. I don't know how they're ever going to top that one, it's the perfect combination of over-the-top gore and goofy humor that makes MK great.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
"You're going to take a fall, Goro!"
"Is that so?"
"Yeah, because I'm going to punch you in the loving dick." :whatup:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I was in the mood to reinstall Mortal Kombat X this morning and I think they've continued to add little entries in the feed to Cassie's selfie fatality. I don't know how they're ever going to top that one, it's the perfect combination of over-the-top gore and goofy humor that makes MK great.

"Goro?"

"Goro!"

Don't forget that the social media site is called "Friendships" :allears:.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
MK 9 and X did such a great job of reversing MK’s decade+long skid, it’s insane how quality they are. I also like how the Story modes are actually well done Kung-Fu magical apocalypse stories AND serve as a nice tutorial for about half the game’s characters. It really helps get through how impenetrable some fighting games can be to newcomers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Goro?"

"Goro!"

Don't forget that the social media site is called "Friendships" :allears:.

My favorite little bit, the pre-fight trash talk includes mirror matches.

"Real funny."
"Know what's funny? Your face."
"Dude, you've just insulted yourself..."

"We are many..."
"We are many more..."
"We are manymoreplusinfinitytimesinfinitynopaybacks."

"This is embarrassing."
"Don't beat yourself up over it."
"Wow. I am annoying."

"Save the future! Avoid Liu Kang!"
"Why? He's just a... friend."
"You totally slept with him, didn't you?"

"Doppelgänger?"
"I know you are, but what am I?"
"Twelve years old, apparently."

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Kung Lao vs. Kung Lao
Kung Lao 1: Should I trust you?
Kung Lao 2: Probably not.
Kung Lao 1: A trustworthy response.

Johnny Cage vs. Sonya Blade
Johnny: Talk to me.
Sonya: That would mean you'd have to keep quiet...
Johnny: You're right, never mind.

Cassie Cage vs. Cassie Cage
Cassie Cage 1: We don't want to be seen together!
Cassie Cage 2: Alright, alright!
Cassie Cage 1: They can't find out we're twins!

Quan Chi vs. Quan Chi
Quan Chi 1: We mustn't fight!
Quan Chi 2: I'm afraid we must.
Quan Chi 1: You were my only friend...

The writing is far funnier, and far dumber, than it had any right to be. :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

MK 9 and X did such a great job of reversing MK’s decade+long skid, it’s insane how quality they are. I also like how the Story modes are actually well done Kung-Fu magical apocalypse stories AND serve as a nice tutorial for about half the game’s characters. It really helps get through how impenetrable some fighting games can be to newcomers.

They really drive this home in the story ladder when after defeating Shinnok, Cassie Cage goes on to beat the poo poo out of Shujinko for good measure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Here's all of them, incidentally. They haven't added more, there's just a huge list, and many of them will interact with each other.

Kool&TheKang (Liu Kang): Now that's an in-jaw-ry! / Dentists hate her! / First!

TakeedaBanana (Takeda): :O / Oh my GOD!!!! / drat, girlfriend!

KungJin (Kung Jin): OMG

KenshiFury (Kenshi): Disgusting

FanGirl (Kitana): Disgraceful

QueenaMileena (Mileena): Tasty... / Open wide... / I know where you can get a good mask

LadyBug (D'Vorah): This One finds it... stimulating.

It'sNotAirmac (Ermac): We are amused.

ErronBackInBlack (Erron Black):.....

TotalKotal (Kotal Kahn): I Kahn't believe it! / Kotal-ly Awesome!

QuanCheesy (Quan Chi): Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

KanO's (Kano): A/S/L? / Say hi to your mom for me

YouGotCaged (Johnny Cage) Who taught you to do that? / Way to go! Woo! / Punch 'em in the crotch again! / That's my girl!

SonyaTheBlade (Sonya): Gross... / Cassie, why is Kano on your friends list? / I blame John / Shut up, John / You look gorgeous, Cass.

GonzoHanzo (Scorpion usually in response to Kotal Kahn or Sub-Zero's comments): You'll burn for that...

ThunderMan (Raiden): Have to admit, I didn't see that one coming.

Goro (Goro): Goro. / Goro? / Goro!

MadJax (Jax): A real sweetheart you got there Sonya / I'm too old for this poo poo

StrykeMeDown (Stryker): You can't post that! / What the hell do you think youre doing? / WHOA! Hold on now... You can't do that. Delete that post immediately.

Cassie Cage (Cassie Cage, in response to Stryker): What are you gonna do about it, Grandpa?

ReptileDisfunction (Reptile): *chomp* *chomp* *hissssss*

SassyJacqui (Jacqui Briggs): Did you change your hair? / No selfie stick?

TheRealKungLao (Kung Lao): I have no quarrel with this

AbsoluteSubZero (Sub-Zero): You have *got* to stop saying that (in response to Kung Lao's comment above) / Man, that's cold.

NoobdeExplanation (Ed Boon): That jawbone? LOOZE IT! / Has anyone unlocked Fujin yet?

DN4DN (Dan Forden): TOASTY!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

TheRealKungLao (Kung Lao): I have no quarrel with this

I don't think anyone mentioned it but this is my favorite intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtjxJIBuHMw

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

"You're going to take a fall, Goro!"
"Is that so?"
"Yeah, because I'm going to punch you in the loving dick." :whatup:

Oh, please tell me that Johnny Cage now has a reputation as a dickpuncher because of the movie

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Johnny Cage has been a dickpuncher since MK1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you must, here is Johnny Cage nut punching every character in every Mortal Kombat game from 1992 - 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lyNf8S6XU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phy posted:

Oh, please tell me that Johnny Cage now has a reputation as a dickpuncher because of the movie

And in X, he can now dickpunch people so hard their heads fly off.

His daughter inherited the move. To... graphic effect when she does her x-ray on male characters.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Err, is that not a finishing move or were these videos taken in a training mode or something? Is it normal to have your genitals exploded, skull crushed, and to eat two bullets to the brain and get back up into the fight in MK games now?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mondian posted:

Err, is that not a finishing move or were these videos taken in a training mode or something? Is it normal to have your genitals exploded, skull crushed, and to eat two bullets to the brain and get back up into the fight in MK games now?

That’s how the X-Ray moves work, yeah. You burn a full super meter and it takes about 1/3 or so of your opponent’s health away.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mondian posted:

That's Cassie's super move and no it's not a finisher. And to be honest, hers is not the worst in terms of "that person is so loving dead right now."

When a fatality in MK X is performed, you know.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

If you must, here is Johnny Cage nut punching every character in every Mortal Kombat game from 1992 - 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lyNf8S6XU

Clearly I have not played nearly enough Mortal Kombat.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Weird, my last one was MK2 and my reaction to these videos has been "Phew, got out just in time"

Tekken is the only fighting game you need :colbert:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mondian posted:

Weird, my last one was MK2 and my reaction to these videos has been "Phew, got out just in time"

The X-Ray moves nauseate me because they are gross and I am a big baby.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mondian posted:

Mortal Kombat has become one of those games that knows exactly what it is and aspires to be nothing else. For good or ill, you know exactly what you're getting with Mortal Kombat now - including a surprisingly good story and charming roster of characters, notably Johnny Cage and his endless dad jokes as the new champion of Earthrealm.

MK also has a gay character these days who's handled completely respectfully.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cythereal posted:

That's Cassie's super move and no it's not a finisher. And to be honest, hers is not the worst in terms of "that person is so loving dead right now."

When a fatality in MK X is performed, you know.

that went from genuinely disturbing to hilarious surprisingly quick

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Iron Rose posted:

That's how I view the game.

And in case you were curious what MK X thinks a person can take and survive...

Kenshi, you're a bro, but Jesus.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Iron Rose posted:

mortal_kombat_xl.txt

The game is absolutely disgusting, yeah, but it knows it and leans into it and makes it all work almost entirely because it's so ridiculous.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If only the damage was modeled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's incredibly depressing how many fighting games just chase the purestrain diehard competitive stuff and ignore casual singleplayer modes entirely.