Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
If Froome can't separate from G tomorrow this will get really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Smirr posted:

I guess this might make for a.. "good" Tour?

Hope it's not just some BS theatre from sky.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope this will cause a leadership crisis in sky and the retard Chris froome will do a big cry

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Cav well outside the cutoff by the loosk of it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Cav well outside the cutoff by the loosk of it

Kittel too.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Renshaw, Kittel, & Zabel listed as withdrawals due to outside the time limit on the tour website now. If Renshaw is done no way Cav survived.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cav hasn't finished yet...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Are they DQ’ed from the entire tour if they don’t make the time?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Yes. The commissaires will sometimes be lenient if there is a big enough grupetto over the limit, or there is some other special circumstance. But Kittel was 12 mins late.

Zabel was right on the limit so has been given a reprieve. Teh other three are toast though.

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1019624790141915138

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Smirr posted:

I guess this might make for a.. "good" Tour?

don't bet on it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well I suppose it better than literally crashing out :smith:

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

How bad does a team have to do to lose their WT license?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

simmyb posted:

I had the same question a while ago and I still don't know an answer. There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the WT regulations, just details about how WT points are assigned (but not how they influence WT status).

I think it might not be a hard and fast thing? When IAM and Tinkoff folded, Bahrain-Merida were the only new WT team, so there was one fewer team than in previous seasons. Plus, there's this from Wikipedia:

quote:

Despite finishing second in the team rankings in 2012, Team Katusha were initially refused a place in the top tier for 2013.[4] After appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, they were reinstated in February 2013, having already missed the 2013 Tour Down Under.[5] Although the UCI had earlier asserted that the reinstatement of Katusha would result in demotion of another team, they eventually announced that there would be 19 ProTour teams for that one season.[6] In 2015, there are only 17 teams, as there was no applicant for the 18th slot.

Looking at it from another direction, Direct Energie were one of only two teams since the founding of the World Tour to ever lose WT status (twice), without also folding.

Oh wait, I found something on the formal process of applying for a license, but it's in German. Gimme a couple of minutes to translate.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I would guess it's more of a question of funding levels and committing to send riders to a certain number of races. At least from reading Phil Gaimon's book it seems like the sport isn't really in a place to turn away anyone with the interest and finances to be a top-level team.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

simmyb posted:

It's complicated, as licenses are issued annually for world tour teams based on four criteria; sporting, ethical, administrative, and financial. Sporting criteria is based on world tour points gained by riders contracted to the team for the next year, financial is just having enough funding to compete. I assume administrative and ethical are just bullshit. As long as no pro conti or newly formed teams apply for a license the existing teams renewal is effectively automatic as long as they still have funding. And the UCI will fudge it if they really want a team to stay, e.g a couple years a go when it looked like Dimension Data were going to lose their license to Bahrain or Bora the UCI just decided to increase the number of licenses so they could continue.

They also recently announced plans to move to a new system with a promotion/relegation type structure anyway. And also reduce the number of WT teams to sixteen.

Edit - I tell a lie, it's fifteen teams they want to reduce it to in 2020 apparently. But with a merit based system for filling wildcard slots at races.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leading-teams-up-in-arms-about-planned-2020-uci-worldtour-reforms/

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 18, 2018

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

German Wikipedia posted:

Since the founding of the UCI World Tour in 2011, the UCI gives out up to 18 World Tour Team licenses of up to four years, on the basis of sportive, ethical, financial, administrative and (since 2017) organizational criteria. The licensed teams are called UCI World Teams and are to be registered anew every year. The license can become void in case of non-fulfillment of these criteria.

From 2011 to 2014, the sportive criterion was considered fulfilled in case of a top 15 finish in an "internal" ranking. Teams between places 16 and 20 of this ranking could be registered. This ranking (unpublished until the 2013 season) was based on a two-year-ranking of the best 15 riders of the season. At the start of the 2013 season, the UCI published the calculation of the ranking for the year 2014: it was calculated from victories of a team in the current year, and the ten best riders of a two-year-ranking, which was calculated from the final standings in the UCI World Tour and the UCI Continental Circuits, as well as podium finishes in big races, and world championships in endurance sports even outside of road cycling [translater's note: wtf]. If a rider changed teams, 20% of his points stayed with his old team. At the start of the 2015 season, the criterion was changed such that the first 16 teams of the World Team team ranking fulfilled it. All other teams qualified on the basis of the points of the five most successful riders of the season. From 2017, intending to reduce the number of licences, the sportive criterion followed the changed team ranking of the UCI WorldTour, with the caveat that only races licensed already in 2016 counted for the relegation rule [translater's note: I do not understand this either].

The ethical criterion concerns doping, primarily. Participating in the biological passport program is mandatory for world teams.

The organisational criterion concerns primarily the supervision of riders by doctors and coaches, as well as the limit of 85 race days per rider.

Of the other criteria, of main relevance are the UCI minimum standards of rider contracts as well as a bank guarantee for salaries.

phew, the Swiss are mentally ill. Anyway, top 16 teams of the World Tour team ranking get automatic spots assuming they don't gently caress up catastrophically in other ways. Below top 16, you're only looking at the five best riders per team, apparently. Currently, that would apply to Katusha and Dimension Data

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Finally got to watch the last ten minutes and jfc I'd rather see Quintana crack like an egg than watch this slow drip where he loses :30 or :40 at a time but pretends like somewhere, deep down, there's a chance he could go beat mode and eat a minute on Froome. It's like he's always riding for second, which is just really hard to root for.

Like at this point I've just been hate-watching the tour for three straight years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I could see Cav being done.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dangerllama posted:

Finally got to watch the last ten minutes and jfc I'd rather see Quintana crack like an egg than watch this slow drip where he loses :30 or :40 at a time but pretends like somewhere, deep down, there's a chance he could go beat mode and eat a minute on Froome. It's like he's always riding for second, which is just really hard to root for.

Like at this point I've just been hate-watching the tour for three straight years.

Sean Kelly was telling a wonderful story about how Movistar want the team classification so badly that when a team he was involved with got 2nd place they chased down every single break they put a rider in and its just a perfect sum up of them at the moment.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

goatface posted:

I could see Cav being done.

Feels like it, doesn't it? All those crashes, and then not really being competitive this tour, it might be time.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Albinator posted:

Feels like it, doesn't it? All those crashes, and then not really being competitive this tour, it might be time.

Kittel, Renshaw also got time cut.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 19, 2018

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HappyCamperGL posted:

And the UCI will fudge it if they really want a team to stay, e.g a couple years a go when it looked like Dimension Data were going to lose their license to Bahrain or Bora the UCI just decided to increase the number of licenses so they could continue.

They initially decided to lower the number of WT licenses to 17 from 18, which is what put Dimension Data's status in jeopardy. They ended up sticking to 18, not "increasing" the number of licenses.

IAM folded. Tinkoff folded. Lampre-Merida's license went to UAE Emirates. Bora claimed one of the vacant spots. Bahrain-Merida got the other.

There is no shortage of teams with World Tour dreams and the funding to make it happen. Rally Cycling in the US is one of those teams. It would be hilarious to see them keep DiamondBack sponsorship when they do end up in the World Tour a few years from now.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

HappyCamperGL posted:

Renshaw, Kittel, & Zabel listed as withdrawals due to outside the time limit on the tour website now. If Renshaw is done no way Cav survived.

Lol

https://twitter.com/ride_argyle/status/1019545567133749248?s=21

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Looks like Zabel sprinted and missed the cut by 3 seconds and was granted clemency, so he lives to fight one more day...and will probably die on Alpe d'Huez.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

They initially decided to lower the number of WT licenses to 17 from 18, which is what put Dimension Data's status in jeopardy. They ended up sticking to 18, not "increasing" the number of licenses.

Eighteen is absolutely an increase on 17.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HappyCamperGL posted:

Not if you're a professional cyclist apparently

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HappyCamperGL posted:

Except it was already 18 in 2016 and remained 18 in 2017 and 2018. There was never a "decrease" and subsequent "increase" in the number of licenses because the proposed 17 team cap never happened.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 19, 2018

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Its great to know SKY have their next 'used to be ordinary/a track guy but is now totally a 3 week GT winner' guy ready to go when froome retires after winning 7 consecutive GTs

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Thomas traditionally blows up at some stage a la Simon Yates or crashes into something a la Porte in three week races though.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

Except it was already 18 in 2016 and remained 18 in 2017 and 2018. There was never a "decrease" and subsequent "increase" in the number of licenses because the proposed 17 team cap never happened.

The number of available licenses for 2017 had been announced as 17. This was the basis for the whole application process. Only after all applications were received and it became clear that this would result in loosing Dimension Data, did the UCI said 'gently caress it' and increased this to 18. The numbers issued in any previous years are irrelevant to this fact, and actual point that the authorities will happily fudge things for commercial interests.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Uran has pulled out of the Tour, will be back for the Vuelta.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Adam Yates blew up royally, still not as impressive as Simon Yates going losing 16 minutes in one day though

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Well, Movistar are active again today.

E - Valverde and Kruijswijk in the break.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
50 second gap between 30 riders up front and the sky train...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

StarkingBarfish posted:

50 second gap between 30 riders up front and the sky train...

It'll be a gc contender getting the win today, even if it's not by much

Valverde doesn't count either

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Figure it'll be another Froome staring at his power meter and crawling past them for maximum boredom

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nah, Quintana will win today I think. Not by much though, maybe 20 seconds or so.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rip Gallopin. AG2R gonna be down to just five riders by the end of today.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 19, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh hey its that amazing switchback climb today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Nah, Quintana will win today I think. Not by much though, maybe 20 seconds or so.

I guess if you want to set yourself up for maximum disappointment then nairo is your man