Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

VJeff posted:

I call BS on any of them being able to even touch Metal Sonic with all seven emeralds.

But that's the first thing knuckles does in the series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I guess I hit one of those speed traps - Got launched in Hydrocity and even though it didnt look like I was stuck I just couldn't move or even pause the game, and the game doesn't even time over at 10 minutes anymore so I couldn't wait it out to go back to checkpoint.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mania Plus has time trial replays and the encore stages are included in time trial. Time to play this game for another 100 hours...

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

i fuckin need a gif of that ray double thumbs up victory animation, it's so good

Same, I need it too.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Anyone know how to get Mania Plus on the Switch? I don't see it in the eShop or any option inside of my vanilla Sonic Mania to upgrade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

snackcakes posted:

Anyone know how to get Mania Plus on the Switch? I don't see it in the eShop or any option inside of my vanilla Sonic Mania to upgrade.

Update your game and it’s an option in the game itself.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Or go to Sonic Mania's entry in the shop and there's an option for the DLC.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, only managed to get 1 emerald in my playthrough. Did find a really easy to get to ring though - FBZ1, pretty much right at the start of the level.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm fine with the lives system but everything else I agree with

If the monitors just moved you down a line instead of just being completely random I think I'd like that mechanic more. Like
<- S <- T <- K <- M <- R <-

If you have Sonic and Tails and you hit a box you go to Tails and Knuckles. Hit a box and Knuckles and Mighty etc.

You're half right, because it does both random and it moves you down a line. It depends on the monitor you hit.

If you hit the ? monitor, then it just randomly swaps everyone around. Chaos reigns. You have no control, or at least, none that I can tell.

BUT! If you hit the swap monitor (the blue and orange arrows in a circle), then you swap the character you're currently controlling with the next person down the line. Example: Say you're using Knuckles with Tails as the partner, and then down at the bottom, you have the icons in this order: Ray, Mighty, Sonic. You hit the swap monitor, and Knuckles gets swapped with Ray, and then Knuckles goes back to the end of the order, leaving it as M, S, K.

The order of those letter icons determine who you will swap to when you hit the swap monitor, and it also determines who you'll get if a character bites it. If like say, you have Ray w/ Tails, and then M, S, K, if Ray dies, then you'll swap to control of Tails, and Mighty will become your partner, leaving the remaining order as S, K until you get him back via 1up monitor or pinball.

There is a logic to this, it's just that thanks to the ? monitor mixing things up, and how you're probably not going to be paying as much attention to the bottom left corner, it might be easily overlooked.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

SeANMcBAY posted:

Update your game and it’s an option in the game itself.

Kurieg posted:

Or go to Sonic Mania's entry in the shop and there's an option for the DLC.

My heroes. I didn't see anything in the shop, but I am updating the game now. Had no idea that there was an option to update manually.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mighty's invulnerability frames are just hilariously overpowered and game-breaking and I love it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish they'd had it so that, say, Star Posts allowed you to select from any character.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I quite like the character switching mechanic, everyone plays similarly enough that you can just roll with what you have, although you don't appear to be able to carry people as Tails in Encore mode? Would have been a pro tier extra to have a mode that features all five characters at once with switching between all of them, though.

I'm up to Lava Reef with five emeralds; the new special stages took some getting used to, but I managed the fifth emerald on the first try, so they aren't an egregiously big step up from the vanilla stages, just easy to be tripped up by the new mechanics.

The stage recolours I can take or leave; Oil Ocean looks crisp and pleasant and I honestly prefer it to the vanilla version, but some of them just slap a yellowy-green tinge on things with all the finesse of a Gameboy Colour recolouring a standard Gameboy game and call it a day.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I genuinely do not know how you're supposed to get the emerald in the *first* special stage

I get up to mach 3 and it's just gone. Can do some laps with minimal errors and I just never see it again. Like I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that they're horribly overkill now

Its not that hard, its just more are you willing to play more dangerously like making tight turns buy jumping the corners where the spikes and pits are or jumping over the ramp to not waste time in the air

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kaethela posted:

Perhaps I am just a dumb idiot, but what are the controls for the pinball bonus mode? D-pad doesn't seem to do anything, so I'm curious if it's only ABXY that control it. If so, that seems... bad.

You can use the shoulder buttons to control the flippers as well, feels a lot more natural.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Frankston posted:

You can use the shoulder buttons to control the flippers as well, feels a lot more natural.

gently caress, I hadn't even thought of trying that. Thank you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The stage recolours I can take or leave; Oil Ocean looks crisp and pleasant and I honestly prefer it to the vanilla version, but some of them just slap a yellowy-green tinge on things with all the finesse of a Gameboy Colour recolouring a standard Gameboy game and call it a day.

It gives me a flashback to when I was 14 hex editing sonic roms to change the level palettes.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

oh poo poo they left a debug button enabled in the special stages, you gain 1+ mach every time you press the player switch/go super button

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

the cool posts kid posted:

oh poo poo they left a debug button enabled in the special stages, you gain 1+ mach every time you press the player switch/go super button

Confirmed, can't recommend immediately going to mach three because it really throws you, but jumping straight up to mach two really powered me through to that sixth emerald.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 18, 2018

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

With a little bit of exploring I was able to get 3 emeralds before leaving Green Hill. Couldn't seem to find anymore Giant Rings.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I like and don't like the character switching. Dying in a boss fight and immediately switching to a new character without starting the fight over is cool, but dying on your last character and then respawning with just one character kinda sucks. You basically need to have a bunch of continues or exit and do the level again

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Xad posted:

I like and don't like the character switching. Dying in a boss fight and immediately switching to a new character without starting the fight over is cool, but dying on your last character and then respawning with just one character kinda sucks. You basically need to have a bunch of continues or exit and do the level again

Yeah, that's the worst part. I've also did like 3 zones back to back with only Mighty after wiping on the Oil Ocean 2 boss, just couldn't find any goddamn character boxes, only ones that switch you to different characters. Didn't think to grind in the checkpoint bonus stage either so that's on me :v: Still, I'd like if they balance it so that lower routes are slow and dangerous, but also have more of those "lives".
Also did Mania Mode also show your complete time at the end, divided into individual zones? It's been a while since I cleared that and sat all the way to the end, but I liked that they showed that in Encore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kikas posted:

Also did Mania Mode also show your complete time at the end, divided into individual zones? It's been a while since I cleared that and sat all the way to the end, but I liked that they showed that in Encore.

No I'm pretty sure that's something new they added for Plus.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I guess it's also the removal of "100 rings = 1UP" thing that hurts, too. Since rings don't do anything other than prevent death now, there's no incentive to have a lot of them other than score and making it easier to get some back if you get hit.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I wish I could start with 5 lives instead of three, since I suck at sonic games. I have never been good at these.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Hell yeah, you can get all 7 Chaos Emeralds by Chemical Plant Act 2. Also godspeed to anyone having trouble with Emerald 7.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

poo poo, I can't even get encore emerald 1. I don't know how you guys do it. I'm posting from work, so i didn't know about the debug thing till today.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pro-Tip: You can get your characters back from the pinball special stages. Hold on to 50 rings for those checkpoints!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Getting mixed signals from Encore's reception.

I have no particular nostalgia for Mighty and didn't even know Ray existed a year ago. I'll probably pass on it.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 18, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You don’t really need nostalgia to enjoy playing as them. They both have fun unique abilities.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
No, but it does mean I'm not chomping at the bit to play as them, so there's no rush to check out the DLC in light of other issues that may yet be patched or fiddled with.

The consensus, as much as there is one, seems to be Mighty and Ray are good, other additions and alternations are questionable and/or glitchy. I'm mostly using this thread as my yardstick though, so perhaps other places are more positive or negative.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Pre-Plus, were there ever any title updates that wiped the leaderboards? I like the idea of going through and leaving a time with all characters for every stage but not if it's likely to be undone in a month.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bad Seafood posted:

No, but it does mean I'm not chomping at the bit to play as them, so there's no rush to check out the DLC in light of other issues that may yet be patched or fiddled with.

The consensus, as much as there is one, seems to be Mighty and Ray are good, other additions and alternations are questionable and/or glitchy. I'm mostly using this thread as my yardstick though, so perhaps other places are more positive or negative.

Things are definitely a bit glitchy so definitely wait a bit if that really bothers you. Robotnik’s deadly speed traps have gotten me twice in encore mode in like 45 min of play.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All the character swapping has done for me is remind me of various glitches that result in a character getting crushed when they're supposed to be just slipping through a gap.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Encore DLC has so far been worth the £4 or so I paid for it, no regrets.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Thoughts on Mania Plus after an Encore playthrough.

-Ray is extremely fun and Super Ray is kind of insane.
-The Encore levels are different enough that they're probably going to have different routes for time trial mode. Huge plus for me.
-Knuckles really needs a buff now that Ray exists...Let him roll or even run after gliding or something, please.
-I really enjoyed the new special stages, the first one definitely took the most attempts.
-The new level transitions are great! Especially Oil Ocean -> Lava Reef and Metallic Madness -> Titanic Monarch
-The Titanic Monarch Act 2 boss has a slight change that makes him a little harder. Now the upper tentacles go away first instead of the lower ones, I really like this change.
-I hope I wasn't missing something in the all emeralds ending...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oil Ocean > Lava Reef caught me off guard.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Eagle posted:

-The Titanic Monarch Act 2 boss has a slight change that makes him a little harder. Now the upper tentacles go away first instead of the lower ones, I really like this change.

Oh that's a nice one. I always thought it was weird that one of the final bosses got much much easier the more you damaged him, so this is a nice change of pace.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Did they add a bunch of stuff to Mania mode? I feel they like they polished it up and added some new level transitions and stuff. I remember being jarred by being thrown into some zones with no transition animation but now they all seem to have something.

Ray sucks, Mighty owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

bradzilla posted:

Did they add a bunch of stuff to Mania mode? I feel they like they polished it up and added some new level transitions and stuff. I remember being jarred by being thrown into some zones with no transition animation but now they all seem to have something.

Ray sucks, Mighty owns.

Yeah, all zones now have had transitions added, Metal Sonic's boss fight was overhauled, and a few other sections have had minor tweaks.

They're both really good, Ray just shines in more specific circumstances. Like the fact he can basically fly over large swaths of many courses.