Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I actually like Clair, she's ignorant true, but it's more steeped in curiousity than superiority. She's actually trying to engage, she's just loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Keldulas posted:

Honestly I actually like Clair, she's ignorant true, but it's more steeped in curiousity than superiority. She's actually trying to engage, she's just loving up.

:yeah: That's how I feel about Clair. Her ignorance doesn't stem from her not wanting to know about life outside of nobility, but moreso from her upbringing, which is probably pretty sheltered considering she's never seen pigs and cows. There's an earnestness about her and she's quick to be apologetic once she realises that she's being ignorant.

So yeah, Clair is awesome.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jimmydalad posted:

:yeah: That's how I feel about Clair. Her ignorance doesn't stem from her not wanting to know about life outside of nobility, but moreso from her upbringing, which is probably pretty sheltered considering she's never seen pigs and cows. There's an earnestness about her and she's quick to be apologetic once she realises that she's being ignorant.

So yeah, Clair is awesome.

That's good to know. At least on first impression she seems pretty arrogant, I'm glad that this is not true. And as can be seen in the concurrent FE8 LP, pegasus knights have an unfortunate tendency to be submissive wive materials, so it's a nice chance.

Lukas promoted into something like a knight, right? Or is that already the general tier?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torrannor posted:

Lukas promoted into something like a knight, right? Or is that already the general tier?

Echoes physical classes work on three tiers, villager aside. Lukas is a Knight now.

Soldier->Knight->General
Mercenary->Myrmidon->Dread Fighter

Etc.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Would it be spoilers to talk about any of the DLC stuff?

Are you even going to show it off?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm still the tutorial part of the game, spoilers of any kind is overkill at this point.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Ok.

's why I asked.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Echoes physical classes work on three tiers, villager aside. Lukas is a Knight now.

Soldier->Knight->General
Mercenary->Myrmidon->Dread Fighter

Etc.
The third tier for the Soldier line in this game is the Baron class. Note that this is different from the FE4 version of the class, in that Barons are lance-locked (as opposed to learning every weapon in the game barring dark magic like in FE4), but sport insanely high defense. And we're going to see just how annoying a Baron can be to fight even if you're prepared once we reach the end of Act I.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Right, I couldn't remember if it was General or Baron. Been a little bit since I went through this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am just sad this is one of the games that refuses to let knight class characters get + movement.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I ended up using a pitchfork on Lukas after he hit Knight in my second playthrough to make a Mercenary with outrageous amount of defense.

10/10 would do again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Greetings, Fellow [Peasants]

Before we get on with the path to the Deliverance, let's talk to this random soldier suddenly here.

You’re new to the Deliverance, right? Then you’ll want to hear this.
They say Mother Mila has disappeared from her temple. That’s why Rigel was able to break the Divine Accord, which was supposed to prevent them from ever invading Zofia.
I don’t know how much of it’s true, but it’s disturbing nonetheless.

So this goddesss Mila disappearing caused two major things: fertility of the land being dead and I guess some magic barrier that kept the northern forces out. Seems like a big deal.

Even more delaying, we head back to the shrine to promote Gray into a Myrmidon. You might think he's upgrading relatively fast but this isn't a terribly long game and promoting asap is the optimal strategy.

Gray is already at the baseline of the next promotion for ATK, so any points extra on level-ups is a bonus for him.

The next couple battles are just going to be skirmishes with no real objective other than to fight.

First Battle of Southern Zofia

A bunch of soldiers near a fort while two cavaliers waaaay in the left that'll approach as the battle rages on.

Here's a good summary of Gray's combat log for a majority of the game: Doubling enemies with minimal resistance and almost one-shotting them.

The animations in Echoes are kinetic enough, but the mercs line definitely takes it to a new level.

The Cavs are a bit worrying since they have high strength and good speed relatively to most of the party.

Anyone that's not Lukas, Alm, or Gray is not fit to take on multiple fights by themselves.

You're not helping my case, Alm

Tobin's basically 1 point away from the Sniper bases, which goes to show either how blessed Tobin is or how bad the Sniper bases are.

Him being 2 points over the Sniper's base speed should tell you everything about how their stats are.

Well, good news for Lukas is that he has one more promotion in the future. Basically the only noteworthy stats he can improve upon is luck and skill since he's already hit the base stats for those.

Even with the Iron Lance, Clair is going to have a hard time winning fights outside of eliminating weakened foes. And bad news is that unlike most classes, Pegasus Knights only have one promotion.

Even worse, defense is kind of a wasted stat because Falcon Knights have an unusually high defensive base. She needs strength above all else.

A neutral cavalier approaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVqKh_J2ZJM

Oh! Good day, Fernand. And what brings you here?
Need you even ask? When I heard you had been taken prisoner, I mounted my finest destrier and sped here at once.
Sir Clive couldn’t leave the hideout without its commander, of course.
But I see I am a step behind regardless. Who is this rabble?
Um, are you talking about us?

He is the grandson of Sir Mycen himself.
Mycen’s…grandson?
Lukas, I demand to know the meaning of this! You were ordered to find the general himself, not some mewling child!
Sadly, Sir Mycen was not so easily convinced.
However, Alm and his friends have joined our cause in his stead.
Is this some manner of folly to you, Lukas? Am I to be amused?

The Deliverance has no place for brats with pitchforks.
Fernand, you must listen to reason.
These “curs” you so easily disparage fought valiantly for us. In fact, without Alm, we might not have retaken the Southern Outpost.
I can vouch for their strength.
Hah! As if the word of a backwater noble carries weight with me.
Your entire house should be kissing the Knights of Zofia’s feet!
Ngh…

You can say whatever nasty things about me you like. I’ll get over it. But Lukas deserves your respect.
I beg your pardon?
Do I look like a man who listens to the opinions of peasants?
Then you can listen to me, because I happen to agree with him.
Fernand, my brother already explained this to you, did he not?
Sir Clive? What exactly did he explain?

If we do not all fight together as one, then we will never defeat Desaix.
Those are wise words. Unforgettable words!
Desaix’s forces already have us at heel, yet you would splinter us further?
Rrr…
You there! Boy!
…That’s me, I take it?

But you WILL learn your place!
Now, Clair. Seeing as you are safe, you have no need for these people.
Come, let us return. We must report this matter to Sir Clive at once.
I will do no such thing! I’m going with Alm.
…Very well. Do as you please. *leaves on his horse and gallops away*

I’ve never met someone so rude!
I guess we’ve been spoiled by Lukas. He’d nearly convinced me that swinish knights are the exception, not the rule.
But…that was a swine, all right. *snort*
You poor dears must be so upset. I apologize for the way he treated you.
Don’t be silly. You don’t have to lower yourself for a miserable human being like that.
Oh my…
Oh, great. Here we go…
What? I have no idea what you’re talkin’ about.
Well, regardless… please don’t think ill of Fernand.

Did…something happen to him?
We live in trying times. And some things that transpire are… difficult to put into words.
In any case, we should be on our way.

This is just a basic of basic skirmish.

It's only a bit tricky because it's full of cavaliers, which are high stat and high mobility units. A lot of babying duties for Lukas/Alm/Gray to carry the team.

Another case of good news, bad news as Kliff is getting bonus points in the right stats, but his stats endgame are going to be way worse than say Gray. That's because Mage->Sage is it, and Sage's bases are baaaaaad.

How bad? Kliff could promote right now and only gain like 1 HP and 1 Skl.

Battle closes out with some good levels in good places.

Well fought, everyone. The Deliverance’s hideout is just a stone’s throw away now.
I’ll send a messenger ahead to inform Sir Clive of our arrival.
Lukassmile: Let us make haste. I’m sure he’ll be quite eager to meet you.

Alm-Clair C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRTa-h_a0Y

Ah! Salutations, Alm.
H-hello, Clair…
And just what are you guffawing at? Such behavior is unspeakably boorish!
Sorry! Sorry. Very sorry. It’s just…who says, “Salutations!” on a battlefield?
Wh— Bu— I say it! Oh, very well. How would our fearless leader have me greet him instead?
Ha ha! I’m not criticizing the way you speak, Clair. In fact, I like that about you.
Y-you do?

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 8, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And this is why I like Clair so much as a character.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You missed a LukasSmile and FernandYell.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Fernand's introduction works much better when it isn't.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Can we all just appreciate the generic cavalier portrait?

He just looks so afraid.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I love that Clair just sounds so HURT when after Alm asks "Who says 'salutations' on a battlefield?"

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Clair is best... well, almost best.

Mine always turn out to be monsters.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Clair's amazing, both as a unit and as a character.

There's a few others we haven't seen yet that are at least equally fun, but we'll get there when we get there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Lead on Leader

Time to finally get to this so-called Deliverance that we've been hauling our butts for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYQwFjR9aE

Where do ya think yer goin’? Don’t y’know whose halls these is?
Huh? But I thought this was the—
That’s enough, Python.
There’s no call to play at trickery with our new recruits.

I was worried Desaix’s dogs might have punched your ticket to the boneyard.
So this sack of guts here must be Sir Grandson.
Yes, he’s the one. Is Sir Clive about?
Yup. Better shake your tail feathers— he’s been waiting for you.

*The group was about to leave further into the hideout when Python stops them*

Hm? What is it?
Terrors roam these halls. You’d best tread carefully.
Terrors?! What are monsters like those doing in your hideout?

I mean, they make decent bodyguards to dissuade the enemy forces from coming, I guess?

Well, to be fair, they technically got here first. We’re just sort of…borrowing their catacombs.
Plus, Terrors spawn in greater numbers the closer you get to Mila’s power.
Cutting ’em down only makes room for new ones, so we just let ’em be.

I'm not sure exactly why zombies are more powerful next to a goddess, or that it makes much sense if the rumors say that Mila left the country.

‘Cause if not, I dunno how you’re planning to fight for the Deliverance.
Aw, I’m just japin’ ya. Get going, yeah?
Oh, and hold your nose—Terrors stink.
Great… Their hideout is guarded by an army of the dead…

General Area-They really built these places to last back in the old days.

Floor-I see lots of footprint, as well as signs of heavy objects being slid around.

These sprawling catacombs were built as a resting place for Zofia’s most distinguished families.
But now their halls are clogged with the stench of the dead—rotten corpses who have risen again as Terrors.

The hideout is a little more winding and requires exploration than the previous shrine. Not to mention that we're introduced to Terrors.

These are the foot soldier versions of zombies. Not too special.

These are "hidden" doors that block the way. A tutorial to always hit things if you're not sure to open new paths.

This particular door leads to an Iron Bow, which Tobin won't use since he's building skills with the Steel Bow.

Bonewalkers are the slightly stronger versions of Revenants, with an actual weapon as opposed to claws.

You can unlock shortcuts that create a direct path from the entrance to the hideout/shrine with enough exploring. Useful since going all the way back to Ram Village's shrine is a hassle.

But now it's finally time to meet Clive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RMn3ATT4Rk

Brother!
It gladdens me to see you safe! I couldn’t bear to lose you on top of everything else we have sacrificed.
You look so pale, Clive. Forgive me. You must have been worried sick.
But I’m all right. Alm and the others arrived before true ill could befall me.

Y-yes, sir.
Ha ha ha. Please, be at ease. Such formalities are not required here.
You saved the life of my dear sister. This makes you a friend.
My name is Clive. And as you must already know, I lead the Deliverance. It’s good to meet you, Alm.
L-likewise, Clive.

What, is he famous or something?
Tobin! I am sorely disappointed in you. Sir Clive captains the Knights of Zofia! He’s the finest knight in all the realm!
Seriously. man. Read a book.
Okay, okay. He’s clearly a big deal.
But then why is the “finest knight in all the realm” LOSING the war?

How have we been faring, Clive?
Not well, I fear. We lost many good men when the outpost fell. …Too many.
The morale of our troops has taken an ill turn in kind. I was hoping to present Sir Mycen to them to re-ignite their courage, but…
Please don’t judge my grandfather. I know he had his reasons. Even if I don’t know what they are.
But I promise you that I’ll fight every bit as hard as he would have. …Or harder!
I just don’t want you think that… I mean, he’s not—

None here would dare think your grandfather craven.
That being said, I would beg a boon of you. The same one I was hoping to ask of Sir Mycen, in fact.
Please, go on.
If it’s within my power, I’ll do it.
Then I shall state it plain.

WHAAAT?! I mean…um…what? I’m not a leader!
Clive! Have you taken leave of your senses?

How godawful is morale that taking the grandson of your plan A is the best course of action?

This needs to happen, Fernand. You know it as well as I.
It’s true the Deliverance began as a group of like-minded Zofian knights, but it’s grown into an army where most of our volunteers are of common birth.
We share a cause, but little else. I know not how to speak to their hearts.
Sir Mycen began as a common soldier before rising to a knight and a count. His story resonates with these people.
Do you not agree that his grandson is just the banner they would rally to?
What fool would agree with that?! If some ungrateful peasant won’t heed your command, you sweep him aside!
Think, Fernand! Are we so flush with soldiers that we can afford to drive able men away?
Ngh…

You too…?!
Knights don’t have a monopoly on skill, and Alm is as able a fighter as any.
Clive has done all he can to hold the Deliverance together thus far, but if our ship is astray, then we must chart a new course. Alm is that course.
I’ll rip that traitorous tongue from your throat!

Oh snap, even Lukas is pissed now.

I lost friends at the Southern Outpost. Veteran men, yet dead all the same.
We MUST adapt so we might end this war as quickly as possible.
Please, just…hold on a second.
I know I said I would do anything in my power, but I can’t—

My lieutenants and I would continue to handle day-to-day affairs.
We only need you do one thing: lead.
You would be inspiring the troops and revitalizing the army. You are Sir Mycen’s grandson. I know you to be capable of such.
I’m not so sure…
Please, Alm. For me. For all of us. My brother tries to hide it, but I know the anxiety takes a toll on him.
You can relieve him of at least a portion of that burden.
I want to, but…
……
All right. If you think me worthy, then I won’t let you down.
Are you certain? Then thank you, Alm. Thank you.

Massive boost to morale, this one

Ha! As you wish.
This could change everything… The boy will make a splendid leader! Simply splendid!
Without a doubt.

*A sudden grab and slam*

Fernand, what—
I only joined this damned army because YOU were leading it!
And now you want me to take orders from some wretched farmchild?
This is no mere farmchild, Fernand! He has Sir Mycen’s blood!
Mycen? Pah! drat him AND his blood! They may sing of him as a hero, but no one even knows what wench the man sprang from!
His entire story is a disgrace to the Zofian nobility!
You need to invoke the name of that old man to control your men? Pathetic.
Enough!

We were supposed to be a band of noble knights. United in purpose! Upholding a tradition! Restoring the old order to Zofia!
Now the Deliverance is full of baseborn serfs trying to lord over us.
Like your lieutenant Forsyth. Or that Python—true to his name, he is!
Both of them have proven themselves on the battlefield time and again!
Are you suggesting I deny my men fair reward for their achievements? What incentive would they have then?! The damned army wouldn’t function!
Hear me, Fernand. Hear me well. I know you have your reasons for closing your heart to the common folk.
But please, for the sake of our ideals, you MUST think beyond them.

I would rather die than kneel to some whelp who was birthed in the hay.
Today we part ways for good and all. I am finished with you and your “Deliverance.”
Farewell.
Fernand, wait—

*Fernand stomps out of the room*

Clive, shouldn’t you go after him?
…No. I knew this was coming—we’ve had no shortage of clashes lately. I cannot force him to see things as I do, so…
Well, perhaps it’s better this way.
Clive…

Thank you, Alm. We shall march on Zofia Castle just as soon as you feel we are prepared.
I suppose you must still have many questions about the Deliverance. Feel free to ask around to any of the soldiers here.

*Clive joins the party*

That was certainly an argument of hot proportions. But we're not quite done yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJlYhyPWI1A

Not only is the lad a general, but he’s also first in line to the Rigelian throne.
That’s due to the Emperor not having children of his own, you see.
Anyway, he’s said to be tough as nails. I sure hope I don’t have to face him!

I am Forsyth, Sir Clive’s lieutenant and advisor. Together, let us take back the castle and return Zofia to her people.

*Forsyth joins the party*

She was every inch as strong as him, and clever as an old cat, to boot.
But Desaix took her captive, and now keeps her locked up in his fortress.
He’s made many attempts to use her as leverage to force our surrender. But still, Sir Clive refuses to submit.
One day Desaix will tire of these games, and then she’ll be in peril most dire…
Knowing this, Sir Clive grows less bold as the days pass. Who can blame him?

The peasants living on his lands were starving ’cause of the drought. They blamed Fernand for not providing for them and stormed his manor.
His family died during the attack. …Truly, a terrible thing.

So that whole furious prejudice was because his family died due to an uprising. An rear end attitude is an rear end, but it's not out of nowhere.

Units Joined

Forsythe

Growth

HP-40
Atk-40
SKL-30
SPD-40
LCK-40
DEF-30
RES-3

Forstythe is a decent unit as far as growths are concerned. Except that he's a Knight, so his good speed growth is tanked 10% lower.

Not much to say, he's a spare Knight in a game where being a slow moving, slow-footed unit with no RES is a recipe for disaster.

Clive

Growth

HP-55
Atk-40
SKL-35
SPD-25
LCK-25
DEF-30
RES-3

Outside of HP, Clive is almost entirely reliant on Gaiden's base stat mechanics cause he's not growing much on his own.

That said, he's still okay since the Cavalier class is decent enough to carry him through most of the game.

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And nothing of value was lost.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

Beat me to it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ah, the ever-memetic "Shut up, Tobin". Max Mittleman does it SO WELL.

Python's voice actor is Doug Erholtz, famous probably for his role as Gin from Bleach, as well as Hazama from Blazblue and (recently) Jean Pierre Polnareff from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders.

I don't know much about Forsyth's VA, Chris Carson, but he does pretty well.

I don't even know/recognize Fernand's VA, but he's alright as well.

And Clive is voice by Grant George, who's also done Sigurd from FE4 in Heroes, as well as Steely Dan from JJBA: SC and Kagura Mutsuki from Blazblue.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Forsyth has one of my most/least favorite lines and I will pull for him to see some serious action (and mayhap a pitchfork).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A few times when Claire's portrait is used in place of Clive's.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I checked and kinda sad we never get to use a scythe because I'd be all for respeccing Forscythe to a class that could.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Clive is very, very sad since his growths are way too balanced to match up to any of the Villagers (or future Cavaliers) and his rock-bottom RES score makes him a sitting duck for any mages that gets close.

I dunno, I've never made him work.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Clive is very, very sad since his growths are way too balanced to match up to any of the Villagers (or future Cavaliers) and his rock-bottom RES score makes him a sitting duck for any mages that gets close.

I dunno, I've never made him work.

As mentioned the cavalier is a decent enough and mobile class that I find I bring him along for (non-mage) body blocking if nothing else, but he's never a star player for me and easily dropped if I get a bunch of god units. Or even just non-bad ones.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
I got the feeling this was the first time the phrase "Ginger Stud" has ever been uttered.

While Fernand's attitude is uncalled for, it's not baseless. Though still, he should know how dire the situation is at this point. It's good he's gone in my book. He really doesn't seem like someone who was truly loyal.

Also, I like Grey.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I checked and kinda sad we never get to use a scythe because I'd be all for respeccing Forscythe to a class that could.

Due to the shape, I'd wager they'd be axes, probably the axe version of the Wo Dao.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fernand's outburst is a split moment for me. On one hand, yes he's got a point in calling out Clive for immediately handing over the keys to the car to Alm upon meeting him. But on the other hand, if Fernand is worried Alm might lead them in a direction he doesn't like, why not stay around and advise Alm to be a leader? It's clear that Clive is mentally checking out (not helped by his fiancee being held captive by Desaix, something Fernand certainly knows about), so if Fernand is worried about Alm not satisfying everyone, he's an idiot for not staying around because the thing Alm needs right now are veteran advisors (i.e., people like Fernand) to help him out. But alas, it seems prejudice is stronger that logic, so Fernand has to leave.

Also, in playing around with my own game files, I found out that you can use the control stick to move the camera around (somewhat) while the level up screen is displayed. I did not know that was even a thing in this game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Clive didn't have many options really.

- As long as he's compromised by his fiancee's capture, even if he plans to continue resisting anyway, there'll be problems trusting him. So he had to give leadership to someone

- Claire won't work because her brother's the one compromised

- Lukas, while technically a noble, seems to be considered as just a level above a serf by the "real nobles"

- Fernand would probably be happy being given the reigns, but I bet everybody (especially the non-nobles) hates him

Handing command to Mycen was really his best chance at both handing command to someone he can trust, and more importantly that the troops could trust/respect. Since Alm came instead he has to hope that his relation to The Legendary Knight will be enough to raise everybody's morale, and everyone knows the leader is usually more important as a symbol than as a strategist.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Honestly I'm quite impressed that they managed to take the usual "new fledgling protagonist gets leadership role on a silver plate" crap in the original Gaiden (that they pretty much needed to follow) and spin it into something that makes sense, and even intriguing.

I still think it's kind of a too-convenient development, but at least I can admire the writing chops that went into the adaptation.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

- Fernand would probably be happy being given the reigns, but I bet everybody (especially the non-nobles) hates him

While I strongly suspect that Claire slotted in "by commoners" into Fernand's backstory on the spot as a clumsy attempt to make him more acceptable to the Ram Village crew (replacing "under Slayde's orders." naturally), the fact remains that he's even worse off than Clive, and knows it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

blizzardvizard posted:

Honestly I'm quite impressed that they managed to take the usual "new fledgling protagonist gets leadership role on a silver plate" crap in the original Gaiden (that they pretty much needed to follow) and spin it into something that makes sense, and even intriguing.

I still think it's kind of a too-convenient development, but at least I can admire the writing chops that went into the adaptation.

yeah it's impressive how they took this source material of a barebones NES plot and actually really fleshed it out

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

AradoBalanga posted:

Fernand's outburst is a split moment for me. On one hand, yes he's got a point in calling out Clive for immediately handing over the keys to the car to Alm upon meeting him. But on the other hand, if Fernand is worried Alm might lead them in a direction he doesn't like, why not stay around and advise Alm to be a leader? It's clear that Clive is mentally checking out (not helped by his fiancee being held captive by Desaix, something Fernand certainly knows about), so if Fernand is worried about Alm not satisfying everyone, he's an idiot for not staying around because the thing Alm needs right now are veteran advisors (i.e., people like Fernand) to help him out. But alas, it seems prejudice is stronger that logic, so Fernand has to leave.

Well, fact is, it doesn't matter how qualified Alm is, he's a filthy commoner, so Fernand wants nothing to do with him. Never mind that he's the grandson of their nation's greatest hero, not to mention heir to whatever titles Mycen still held claim to, he grew up in a village, where people do their own work. Like savages. Whatever other bullshit reasons Fernand comes up with is just cover for that irrational hatred. It's actually a pretty realistic portrayal of bigotry, for a video game made for children (though it wouldn't be a first for Fire Emblem, given some scenes in the Radiant games).

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, fact is, it doesn't matter how qualified Alm is, he's a filthy commoner, so Fernand wants nothing to do with him. Never mind that he's the grandson of their nation's greatest hero, not to mention heir to whatever titles Mycen still held claim to, he grew up in a village, where people do their own work. Like savages. Whatever other bullshit reasons Fernand comes up with is just cover for that irrational hatred. It's actually a pretty realistic portrayal of bigotry, for a video game made for children (though it wouldn't be a first for Fire Emblem, given some scenes in the Radiant games).

Took the words right out of my mouth.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Fernand sucks and I can't wait till we can punch him in the mouth (or sword him in the gut).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Peasants murdered my family" is not actually a reasonable rationale for hating all peasants everywhere, especially when the peasants in question were starving while you enjoyed all the creature comforts afforded by feudalism. I feel like Fernand would work better if he was just a period-accurate shitlord, rather than giving him a dumb backstory that was supposed to make him sympathetic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"Peasants murdered my family" is not actually a reasonable rationale for hating all peasants everywhere, especially when the peasants in question were starving while you enjoyed all the creature comforts afforded by feudalism. I feel like Fernand would work better if he was just a period-accurate shitlord, rather than giving him a dumb backstory that was supposed to make him sympathetic.

I don't think it was supposed to make him sympathetic, it sounded like an excuse people make for why they hang out with douchebags/abusers IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Despite my hatred for Fernand I do have a slightly different view on his backstory but that will have to wait until the lp reveals a bit more about what is going on in the world.

• Locked thread