Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
No it selects completely random among all of the valid ones. There is no spooky mambo jambo weighting behind it. It's how Johan wanted it I believe.
So in essence you have a bigger chance to spawn it if more of your provinces fulfill the criteria in essence.

e: Alse a shameless plug! Don't know how many that followed my Vogelius LP where I was playing with myself.
Either way I got permission from Marketing to create an AAR/LP for Holy Fury if you wanna check it out. I'll be playing as the Romuva Prussians on Very Hard at 1066. Yes those Old Prussians in a really poo poo situation squeezed in between Russia, Germany and Poland. I've modded the game a bit and so but it's going to be a challenging play and the goal for now will be to simply try and not have the Prussian culture destroyed. Prologue is written and up and chapters will come each Wednesday. Schedule is planned after Paradoxplaza where I have mod rights to write scheduled posts so might not be at 10:00 CET on the dot for you guys but it should be that or in the evening on Wednesdays.

Link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863417

I might potentially make it a Megacampaign and bring it to EU4 as well depending on how the end state looks when I get to 1444.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've seen the AI "cheat" with fleets in a weird way twice now. They had their ships parked in a port so I occupied the province and their boats got kicked out but they immediately cancelled the move order so they remained in port but instantly got kicked out again and cancelled once more. They somehow managed to just resetting movement over and over throughout the entire rest of the war so they never actually entered the ocean and effectively made their fleet invulnerable and I couldn't get at it at all.

The game isn't allowed to exploit players back! Especially not players like me who don't use exploits. :v:

Groogy posted:

No it selects completely random among all of the valid ones. There is no spooky mambo jambo weighting behind it. It's how Johan wanted it I believe.
So in essence you have a bigger chance to spawn it if more of your provinces fulfill the criteria in essence.
Just knowing how many provinces you have that fulfill all of the criteria would be swell. Do I have one or ten? No idea. :shobon:

Groogy posted:

e: Alse a shameless plug! Don't know how many that followed my Vogelius LP where I was playing with myself.
Either way I got permission from Marketing to create an AAR/LP for Holy Fury if you wanna check it out. I'll be playing as the Romuva Prussians on Very Hard at 1066. Yes those Old Prussians in a really poo poo situation squeezed in between Russia, Germany and Poland. I've modded the game a bit and so but it's going to be a challenging play and the goal for now will be to simply try and not have the Prussian culture destroyed. Prologue is written and up and chapters will come each Wednesday. Schedule is planned after Paradoxplaza where I have mod rights to write scheduled posts so might not be at 10:00 CET on the dot for you guys but it should be that or in the evening on Wednesdays.

Link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863417

I might potentially make it a Megacampaign and bring it to EU4 as well depending on how the end state looks when I get to 1444.
This looks really fun and I'm looking forward to following it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i’m not the dev here and i don’t actually know the code but i think when colonialism makes it check it goes through the province list sequentially and if the province fails the spawn roll it moves on to the next. so the lower province ids, which are usually european, get hit first. maybe that’s just wrong though, i don’t remember where i heard it

i’m 90% sure though when two armies arrive at a province on the same day, the lower country id army gets there first. so sweden will always win that kind of tie against oda for example

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

i’m not the dev here and i don’t actually know the code but i think when colonialism makes it check it goes through the province list sequentially and if the province fails the spawn roll it moves on to the next. so the lower province ids, which are usually european, get hit first. maybe that’s just wrong though, i don’t remember where i heard it
If I remember correctly, this is how it was originally done and was changed by Paradox. Colonialism is still super heavily weighted to spawn in Europe though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

A more transparent way to spawn institutions would be cool. If the % chance was listed somehow like the pope mechanic so you'd be able to maximize your chances.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Right now the institution window adds a mapmode that shows you where certain institutions are present and where they're growing, which is honestly not that useful, since it doesn't tell you anything about progress or growth rate. It would be really cool if it highlighted provinces where an unspawned institution is elgiible to spawn.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fister Roboto posted:

Right now the institution window adds a mapmode that shows you where certain institutions are present and where they're growing, which is honestly not that useful, since it doesn't tell you anything about progress or growth rate. It would be really cool if it highlighted provinces where an unspawned institution is elgiible to spawn.

God I would love if they showed progress or growth rate, particularly for when Global Trade has spawned.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd love an alert of some kind when separatists with cores on my land capture provinces on my borders in neighbouring nations. When the alert that they've just crossed the border pops, it's often a bit late to stop them from capturing my provinces and giving them separatism, and I don't think it's fair to expect players to keep a hawkish watch on every border 24/7.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

an alert when a country you have a royal marriage with gets an heir

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's annoyingly difficult to defeat the English/British navy. Even their transport fleets ourfight my patrol fleets and their main stack is untouchable even if I bring twice the heavies. Maybe I should get Naval or Quality ideas?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's annoyingly difficult to defeat the English/British navy. Even their transport fleets ourfight my patrol fleets and their main stack is untouchable even if I bring twice the heavies. Maybe I should get Naval or Quality ideas?

Reminder that if you want to fight England heavy to heavy you're going to have to build fleets of max engagement width and cycle them in and out of the fight to maintain morale. A better option is to sacrifice your heavies as a distraction while your transports land on English soil so you only have to engage them in ship battles once. Or a further option is to bring the British into a ticking war with someone else on the main land and either strip out one of Britain's conquests as an independent (and then declare war on them without regard to stability or aggressive expansion) or grab the Scottish islands that are troop traverseable for yourself (because they won't be penalized -1000 for not having conquered a fort there).

But the best move is to hit the British Islands while the English are not the only ones there. Smother them in the cradle.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Yeah, if you manage to sneak an army across the channel, the english usually fold like a wet paper bag.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The number of heavy ships in a naval battle doesn't much matter once each side has above 30 or so because of combat width, so it really comes down to quality at that point. England gets +10% heavy ship combat ability and that's a big hurdle to overcome. Rather than Naval ideas, I would suggest taking Maritime and Innovative and using their policy to get your own +10% heavy ship combat ability. This also gets you +2 admiral maneuver to increase combat width so it might be possible to leverage numerical superiority in this case. Throw in Quality for its durability boost and another policy for naval morale and your ships should be equal or slightly better than England's unless they took Naval ideas. In that event, yeah you need to get Naval ideas too or just surrender mastery of the sea to England.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Get fleet basing rights in france (or whoever controls the southern channel coast) so you can pick up your army in port, and so the only real time spent exposed to the british navy is when you're dropping troops off. Sacrifice a fleet to temporarily shield your transports from the enemy. Once you have one occupation, you can quickly ferry troops across the channel without putting them at risk (unless they're actively blockading the occupied port, which the AI is dumb so they won't).

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

oddium posted:

an alert when a country you have a royal marriage with gets an heir

Set them as a country of interest

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The fuckin bonuses could stand to be a tad more transparent. I got into a war against a swole Teutonic Order and to my surprise their armies just absolutely mulched me in battles.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

aphid_licker posted:

The fuckin bonuses could stand to be a tad more transparent. I got into a war against a swole Teutonic Order and to my surprise their armies just absolutely mulched me in battles.

You can look up army quality in the ledger now but yeah it would be really good if there was some kind of overview you could access from the diplo window, or hell, even indicated on a per army basis in addition to manpower.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

You can look up army quality in the ledger now but yeah it would be really good if there was some kind of overview you could access from the diplo window, or hell, even indicated on a per army basis in addition to manpower.

A overview that shows you what? The exact same stats you can find by spending 10 seconds to go to 2 ledgers?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Army quality is literally the top military ledger page. The game will show it to you more readily than it will show you whether your opponent has 10x bigger army than you do. It was a good addition and the game makes it easy for you to consult it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Welp I learned something about this stupid game today. Thanks!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Being able to just click a single button on a country's diplomacy page and see its ledger info would be a huge QOL improvement over having to open the ledger, search for the country, and then find the info you're interested in across multiple pages.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hell, if the ledger would let me check off a few countries so that I can filter for them alone would be fantastic. It would make planning war by comparing their web of alliances against yours much easier.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Being able to just click a single button on a country's diplomacy page and see its ledger info would be a huge QOL improvement over having to open the ledger, search for the country, and then find the info you're interested in across multiple pages.

Its literally 1 ledger page to find every piece of info about their army quality, and 1 more if you want to see the size as well

This game has too many menus as is, lets not add more for incredibly marginal benefits

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ledger should let you filter by neighbor

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Wait, you don't have provinces touching everybody else in the world? :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

Its literally 1 ledger page to find every piece of info about their army quality, and 1 more if you want to see the size as well

This game has too many menus as is, lets not add more for incredibly marginal benefits

That's still a click to open the ledger, a click to sort the ledger alphabetically, then actually finding the country in question.

vs. just clicking once and seeing everything you need to see

At the very least there need to be more ledger filters.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

That's still a click to open the ledger, a click to sort the ledger alphabetically, then actually finding the country in question.

So your plan is you can click the country and then click some magic button that tells exactly the piece of information you need.

What actually will happen is you click the country and then it brings up the list of ledgers just for that country that you then have to sort through for the information you need.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously, this. Countries of interest at least seems like a no-brainer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're being weirdly aggressive and dense about this.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I want the information on a single country from multiple pages in the ledger on a single screen. A button I can press to get detailed information on a single country, without having to go into the ledger and going through a whole bunch of pages that contain tons of information on countries I don't care about. Generally you want information on a very small number of countries at any time, making the vast majority of information the ledger displays pointless. I don't see how this is a hard concept to grasp, nor how it would require more work from the player instead of less, nor how it would display more useless information instead of less.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oddium posted:

ledger should let you filter by neighbor

Or by favorites. When I have to check all my enemy's allies armies and they are like 5 African nations which range from Ajuraan to zazzau, it makes me sick.

Or when you want to check if your rival has the manpower to backstab you while you're planning to attack another one... I often want to see more than one nation's information but the ledger is unwieldy for that (the option to only select war participants we already have is good though, I just wish it was fully configurable)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 18, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

Set them as a country of interest

i didn't think this was true but i was at work so i couldn't check

didn't get any sort of notification for any of them getting heirs, and the only thing "new heir" brings up in the message settings is for yourself (i checked all combinations of tabs and filters for the record)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mountaineer posted:

The number of heavy ships in a naval battle doesn't much matter once each side has above 30 or so because of combat width, so it really comes down to quality at that point. England gets +10% heavy ship combat ability and that's a big hurdle to overcome. Rather than Naval ideas, I would suggest taking Maritime and Innovative and using their policy to get your own +10% heavy ship combat ability. This also gets you +2 admiral maneuver to increase combat width so it might be possible to leverage numerical superiority in this case. Throw in Quality for its durability boost and another policy for naval morale and your ships should be equal or slightly better than England's unless they took Naval ideas. In that event, yeah you need to get Naval ideas too or just surrender mastery of the sea to England.

Or you could not invest in filling out 2-3 idea groups just to win one naval battle

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I love how there's one for War Enemies, but none for War Allies. It's like the developers just expect that every game I'll be declaring on large coalition blocks without allies and... oh.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Or you could not invest in filling out 2-3 idea groups just to win one naval battle

yeah i just shuttled 70,000 mans into great britain while losing the naval fight in another sector, and that's it for england after i took london in the peace deal

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Quick question re: Age system

Theoretically, can one prevent the advancement from age of discovery to reformation by keeping reform desire below threshold? Will that break the ages and institutions system if so?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

aphid_licker posted:

Welp I learned something about this stupid game today. Thanks!

That's uncalled for :(

But yeah a "Country Summary Ledger page" would be sort of cool. List of countries, click one and get a summary on that country and then the diplomacy screen can have a shortcut there.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 19, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Godlovesus posted:

Quick question re: Age system

Theoretically, can one prevent the advancement from age of discovery to reformation by keeping reform desire below threshold? Will that break the ages and institutions system if so?

Yes, this can happen. I believe ages must progress linearly, so preventing the Reformation effectively halts the system in the Age of Discovery. Which means no Absolutism and no Revolutions for the duration of the game.

Preventing the Reformation does not prevent any institutions from spawning, however. The Printing Press can spawn in any German province regardless of religion. It can also spawn in any Protestant or Reformed province outside of Germany, but any province in Germany at all is fair game.

It is possible to block some institutions from spawning (notably, there was a time when Colonialism was often late or non-existent thanks to AI changes). Unlike ages, though, institutions are not linear. If colonialism doesn't spawn, for instance, the printing press will still likely spawn not long after 1550.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Do I feed all these inca gold provinces to my colonial nation or keep them for myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Once you have five provinces in a colonial region they’ll be taken away from you regardless, I don’t think there’s a way to prevent that