Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also that drinking is uncomfortably past the point of funny drinking to dangerous drinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
finally watched Ep. 2 of Banana Fish. Having never read the manga, it seems Good, but not much to say otherwise

So far I'm watching that, Free, and Starlight Revue and man I really got a theme going huh

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Phobophilia posted:

also that drinking is uncomfortably past the point of funny drinking to dangerous drinking

you have those reversed

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Angolmois continues to be fun. I like how while they spiced up the historical facts to make it a more exciting story (apart from anything else, the numbers of troops involved are significantly inflated), they didn’t do it enough to detract from the essential character of what happened. So, for instance, the Mongols aren’t just a horde - they have more advanced technology than Japan, more familiarity with organising their troops in large, pitched battles, and the advantages of diversity coming from having absorbed and traded with dozens of cultures.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I don't have the links but Grand Blue is an isekai story according to the creator? It's a world where you can drink before 20 and alcohol tolerance is through the roof. The roof of the top floor megastructure in BLAME!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I also live in a crazy world where you can drink before 20

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Angolmois continues to be fun.

The second episode was decent, though less good than e02 since it spent most of the episode not focusing on the core cast, which made it feel like a slower episode than it was.

That filter is still obnoxious, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How much wheat and rice was grown on Tsushima anyway? Apparently it is fairly infertile, but it could still generate 30000 koku a year. Hinterlands cannot subsist on fishing and trade.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

I don't have the links but Grand Blue is an isekai story according to the creator? It's a world where you can drink before 20 and alcohol tolerance is through the roof. The roof of the top floor megastructure in BLAME!

I thought it would have been cute if they modified the huge disclaimer to say something like that instead in episode one.

Like, this is an isekai, it takes place in a fantasy world where freshmen enter college at age 20.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

It's a world where you can drink before 20

So the UK or Oceania?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

So the UK or Oceania?

Or most of Europe. Or most of Africa, or Asia.
Seriously, it's 18 over the vast majority of the world.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Or a lot of the US at points throughout history. The nationwide uniform 21 wasn't established until 1984 with the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, and it took a few years before all the states signed on to keep their highway money; some territories never have. And for a lot of the 20th century many states had lower drinking ages for just beer, beer and wine, or below a certain ABV than they did for liquor.

No one is really old enough for Spirytus, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I started drinking when I was 17 and I live in the US. You can just do ir, they say you can't, but you can, you don't die instantly or nothing

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Expect My Mom posted:

I started drinking when I was 17 and I live in the US. You can just do ir, they say you can't, but you can, you don't die instantly or nothing

that's exactly what a dead person would say to trick others into deading themselves

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I kind of enjoyed the first episode just because I already knew poo poo was hosed up and I was looking forward to the penny-drop moment?
I dunno whether or not it'll keep my interest. I guess I could be here for "psychopathic high-schooler looks after her adopted daughter by murdering everyone who might be a problem".
Notable is that the little girl doesn't seem to care about her parents being MIA so maybe they were huge abusive assholes or something?

The anime is not going to get to the point to fully explain the little girl's situation, but the series will definitely give at least some background and lend the possibility that the murderous high school may not be the least bad caretaker she's had. Most of the adults that show up in this series are some degree of terrible and/or crazy, so expect that

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Started drinking a quarter of a glass of wine here and there at 12, and by the time I was 18 I found alcohol thoroughly uninteresting. But then again I'm French. Explains a lot when you see US citizen out on vacation getting absolutely poo poo faced when they reach 18, unable to understand how alcohol works in a body.

On topic: I might be wrong, but isn't Japan a country that's also super restrictive to anything regarding alcohol? Or am I mixing it with another eastern country?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Japan in reality is very loose with alcohol regulations, with a majority of teens saying they've drank and carding being pretty rare. If you're 13 and your family is having some kind of party with alcohol around your dad will definitely offer you a swig, that kind of thing. But the TV regulations about it are very strict, especially at certain times of the day and on certain networks, hence the disclaimers and the weird writing around it, like how Girls und Panzer has to talk about 'non-alcoholic vodka'

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Teens in Japan also don't drive nearly as often as they do in the states so underage drinking isn't a huge, huge worry yeah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
girls' last tour was the pro method of dodging regulations, by just having the characters find random bottles and misread the labels slightly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that Pop Team Epic got away with Popuko and Pipmi smoking but JoJo didn't

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Free completes the hat trick of new coaches having their intro be creepy in some way in anime this year. Even if he didn't massage Haru's thigh

In a way it almost feels like unintentional criticism of coaching in sports in general!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad coaches are a good sports anime tradition so I'm glad there have been multiple this year.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the coaches having comedy bits about groping the athletes doesn't seem interesting in any way imo

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I don't think anime can portray/satirize anything close to the real-life horror being revealed rn at Michigan State and Ohio State, and earlier Penn State...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Persona 5 gave it a little bit of a go.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

I don't think anime can portray/satirize anything close to the real-life horror being revealed rn at Michigan State and Ohio State, and earlier Penn State...

I wonder if manga has gone into it deeper, like a manga focusing on how some High School teams for a pitcher to burn their arms for a run at Koshien.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's definitely stuff out there that seriously confronts some issues of sports, though i've no idea how much gets animated. battery covered bullying, pressure to succeed, and the toxicity/backbiting with competitive sports during puberty, though it was far from a perfect show (makes me wonder about the source material tbh). gurazeni was also pretty matter-of-fact about the impersonal nature of professional sports but couched it in a lighter and kinda self-deprecating tone. one outs took a similar angle as gurazeni but cranked it up to having just a straight up evil money-grubbing manager and outside of that is mostly a game theory series.

major is the main series i'm curious about with this stuff since it covers an entire athletic career from childhood to the pros, which seems ripe for at least some sideplots on darker stuff.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Persona 5 rear end in a top hat coach is literally based on a real Japanese Olympic Gold-Medalist who engaged in similar shady poo poo, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

there's definitely stuff out there that seriously confronts some issues of sports, though i've no idea how much gets animated. battery covered bullying, pressure to succeed, and the toxicity/backbiting with competitive sports during puberty, though it was far from a perfect show (makes me wonder about the source material tbh). gurazeni was also pretty matter-of-fact about the impersonal nature of professional sports but couched it in a lighter and kinda self-deprecating tone. one outs took a similar angle as gurazeni but cranked it up to having just a straight up evil money-grubbing manager and outside of that is mostly a game theory series.

major is the main series i'm curious about with this stuff since it covers an entire athletic career from childhood to the pros, which seems ripe for at least some sideplots on darker stuff.
i like eyeshield 21 where the american coach is a huge racist scumbag but its just that one guy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wonder if manga has gone into it deeper, like a manga focusing on how some High School teams for a pitcher to burn their arms for a run at Koshien.

cross game does, if you mean what i think

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
So I made a thread for Grand Blue because the other one is gassed lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nice.

quote:

Grand Blue
Zero-G | Shinji Takamatsu | Shinji Takamatsu | Comedy, Seinen | Slice of Life | Manga | Jul 14, 2018
Among the seaside town of Izu's ocean waves and rays of shining sun, Iori Kitahara is just beginning his freshman year at Izu University. As he moves into his uncle's scuba diving shop, Grand Blue, he eagerly anticipates his dream college life, filled with beautiful girls and good friends. But things don't exactly go according to plan. Upon entering the shop, he encounters a group of rowdy, naked upperclassmen, who immediately coerce him into participating in their alcoholic activities. Though unwilling at first, Iori quickly gives in and becomes the heart and soul of the party. Unfortunately, this earns him the scorn of his cousin, Chisa Kotegawa, who walks in at precisely the wrong time. Undeterred, Iori still vows to realize his ideal college life, but will things go according to plan this time, or will his situation take yet another dive?
PV
Thread

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Tenrou: Sirius The Jaegar got off to a strong start, despite seemingly being about neither Tenrou nor Sirius. It’s built a strong world from the off and I’m excited to see where it goes.

High Score Girl is a completely different kettle of fish but no less enjoyable, and as someone who hasn’t touched a game’s console since the N64 it’s a good nostalgia rush.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

It does touch on that somewhat tho mostly just in an exaggerated way at the highschool level. At the pro part of the story it doesn't really come up outside of a few instances of mildly scummy management.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

superLINUS posted:

High Score Girl is a completely different kettle of fish but no less enjoyable, and as someone who hasn’t touched a game’s console since the N64 it’s a good nostalgia rush.

It's a really sweet series. The CG is a little off putting at first since it's clear the facial expressions are essentially painted on, but you get used to it. I'm also okay with them having literal ads for IRL games in the middle of an episode as a Commercial since that allows them to afford using footage from all of the video games that end up appearing.

I think the series goes up to partway through middle school and maybe into high school afaict so we'll be seeing at least a few years of video game highlights across all sorts of systems. Mostly arcade fighters though of course.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga isn't finished, right? There's quite a lot of ground to cover with what's been translated, at least.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
SNK Playmore dropped their suit against the manga which delayed the heck outta it and no doubt wore the author out, wonder how they settled? Took a peek, does it do more than silent girl being violent, fanservice for fans of old games, and nostalgia for those of us born long enough to remember growing up with these games?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
HSG spans several years and Akira does change. The first episode actually surprised me because I completely forgot her just punching out strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
welp. this is the first time i've cringed at two bowls of shaved ice

• Locked thread