Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This gets me huge. Almost none of these guys could have given less of a drat about She-Ra, and in fact probably regarded it as a cringy knock-off of He-Man, until it was a possible source of outrage about their new hobbyhorse re: the SJWs ruining children's cartoons.

Personally I have a lowkey love for the schlocky girl power science fantasy of old She-Ra, and am excited to see those motifs treated with a more skillful hand. It might not be good, but I think Stevenson is a cool artist and I'm interested to see what she does with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This redesign of She-Ra is the best thing that could have happened at the best time because if loving slam dunks on these assholes and definitively proves that they have never had a point. People will forever only need to point to this cartoon and shut these people down every time now. And hey, we might get a cool cartoon as well!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I love how much their life is based around hate, they hate it so they can't stop themselves from focusing on it instead of, I don't know, finding something they like and focusing on that. Then again, it's not like they have a lot of media that fits in their world view, as "Mr. Don't give a poo poo, except about killing things not rich, white, and male," doesn't sell too well.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ToastyPotato posted:

This redesign of She-Ra is the best thing that could have happened at the best time because if loving slam dunks on these assholes and definitively proves that they have never had a point. People will forever only need to point to this cartoon and shut these people down every time now. And hey, we might get a cool cartoon as well!

I extra love it because this weekend is just going to explode with all the western animation stuff for the near future and it's filled to the brim with shows lead by women and/or poc. TMNT is lead by Raph who is voiced by a black man, Avengers Assemble is now the Black Panther show, Dragon Ball is now including Broly who wears tight purple leggings so that'll ruffle feathers, there's Noelle Stevenson's She-Ra, then there's the entire concept of Marvel Rising. And Infinity Train, a female-lead show. And Victor & Valentino about two mexican brothers. Maybe a trailer for Owl House, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anora posted:

I love how much their life is based around hate, they hate it so they can't stop themselves from focusing on it instead of, I don't know, finding something they like and focusing on that. Then again, it's not like they have a lot of media that fits in their world view, as "Mr. Don't give a poo poo, except about killing things not rich, white, and male," doesn't sell too well.

The culture war has many fronts.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

With respect to Broly and Dragonball Super, I do feel like I remember people complaining about the essentially female version of him they added earlier (I don't remember her name.) That said, I am not really part of any DB or anime communities, so I only really got bits and pieces of opinions on the matter. I also haven't got up to those episodes in the show so I don't even know what her deal is yet.

CuppaGodot
Sep 25, 2007
Destiny is bitter today

ToastyPotato posted:

With respect to Broly and Dragonball Super, I do feel like I remember people complaining about the essentially female version of him they added earlier (I don't remember her name.) That said, I am not really part of any DB or anime communities, so I only really got bits and pieces of opinions on the matter. I also haven't got up to those episodes in the show so I don't even know what her deal is yet.

Kale. Her name was Kale, and she and her "big sis" Caulifla ruffled quite a few feathers as I recall as well. She's basically the Gohan of universe 6. She's timid and not good at confrontation and has an explosive temper that unleashes her berserker form. And Caulifla gleefully throws her into the fray multiple times.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So people got mad that they added some legit female characters to the show for the first time in decades?

CuppaGodot
Sep 25, 2007
Destiny is bitter today
Yep. Caulifla and Kale even had an amazing fight against Goku and even when they're losing it looked amazing. They're a breath of fresh air as the series needs way more female representation. Even the Kamikaze Fireballs are welcome despite being Sailor Moon-ish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

So people got mad that they added some legit female characters to the show for the first time in decades?

It's possible people hate the character because she's terrible (not likely given the fan base, but possible). I thought Marissa's surfer boyfriend in season 3 of The OC was loving insufferable, and not even in a villain you love to hate kinda way that soap operas do a lot (Oliver from the first season for instance).

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

ToastyPotato posted:

People have hid behind the excuses that their climb to power was rushed or somehow ruined forms that haven’t been relevant in the series for... what, 20+ years? And it’s far from the series’ worst flaws (everything with Trunks’ arc is atrocious but excused due to nostalgia.)

That’s not to say they’re all necessarily whining chuds in this case, just that Dragonball fans harp on irrelevant poo poo that doesn’t matter a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So they're making a new She-Ra? I never watched the original but I was considering it because it was recommended on the same Amazon page as Jem & the Holograms. Since I liked Jem and figured She-Ra would be kinda the same thing, I thought about buying it.

Never did because I had other things to spend my money on than some series I had only vague interest in but maybe I'll look into it. I would like to contrast this new series with the old, like contrasting the Jem comic with the old cartoon.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

She-Ra and Jem are pretty similar in tone, yeah.

I've been watching She-Ra on Netflix lately and it's super fun, cheesy, schlocky garbage. Melendy Britt, the VA who plays She-Ra and Princess Adora, plays like eight characters on the show and having to do a unique voice for all of them quickly exhausts her repertoire, so there are several C-list villain lieutenants voiced by her who sound like they're constantly having a stroke. There is a powerful sorceress named Casta Spella. She-Ra is insanely strong, always wins, has a Silver Age Superman-esque variety of powers, and most commonly beats villains by picking up the nearest absurdly heavy object and throwing it at them. Episode by episode the things she throws include:

- A mountain.
- An entire lake, lakebed and all, which she cuts out of the landscape with her sword.
- A gigantic airborne battlecruiser, which she flies underneath, tips all the soldiers out of, and then hurls into a volcano.

It's super cheesy and weird and fun. It's definitely watchable if you like sugary idiot trash that's lowkey hilarious. Also, some of the painted backgrounds are really nice.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Abroham Lincoln posted:

People have hid behind the excuses that their climb to power was rushed or somehow ruined forms that haven’t been relevant in the series for... what, 20+ years? And it’s far from the series’ worst flaws (everything with Trunks’ arc is atrocious but excused due to nostalgia.)

That's not just limited to Dragon Ball fans. It's this weird mindset about how a new character becoming powerful or prominent is not "earned."
People talk about it like it's the wrestling world where someone getting a push means other people don't get a push and this idea about merit due to length of being there.

It's all stories, writers can decide someone is powerful and or important and that is it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Abroham Lincoln posted:

(everything with Trunks’ arc is atrocious but excused due to nostalgia.)

I’ll admit the very end sucked, and they time traveled once or twice too many, but Trunks’ arc is generally considered the best arc in Super. Why didn’t you like it?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Android Blues posted:

- A mountain.
- An entire lake, lakebed and all, which she cuts out of the landscape with her sword.

I'm already on board with this but I'll watch 100% of the new episodes if they keep this Terraforming She-Ra

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

That's not just limited to Dragon Ball fans. It's this weird mindset about how a new character becoming powerful or prominent is not "earned."
People talk about it like it's the wrestling world where someone getting a push means other people don't get a push and this idea about merit due to length of being there.

It's all stories, writers can decide someone is powerful and or important and that is it.

I feel like with Dragonball specifically though, that mindset is absolutely unacceptable. The entire series is literally defined by, "here is a new character, they are more powerful than the previous."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Some fans had a problem with Kale because she's essentially Brolly so they thought "why didn't you just add Brolly". There are good reasons of course why they shouldn't have added Brolly but that seemed to me to be part of the hate the character got.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lobok posted:

Some fans had a problem with Kale because she's essentially Brolly so they thought "why didn't you just add Brolly". There are good reasons of course why they shouldn't have added Brolly but that seemed to me to be part of the hate the character got.

Well it looks like they literally got their wish, which will send a very good message...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToastyPotato posted:

Well it looks like they literally got their wish, which will send a very good message...

I'm glad they didn't have him in the Tournament arc of the Super series. But having him in his own movie is fine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

here's something new for nerds to get mad about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgNQMUjr8M

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lobok posted:

I'm glad they didn't have him in the Tournament arc of the Super series. But having him in his own movie is fine.

I was pretty down on the idea of the movie being about Broly but after the trailer I'm sold. This is easily the best Dragon Ball has ever looked animation wise.

https://youtu.be/FHgm89hKpXU
Posting on mobile, can't get it to embed.

I also get a strong feeling that they're going to completely change his motivation from the original version of the character, so that does a lot to fix him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why are we talkin' about Dragonball.

Synthbuttrange posted:

That is a very ugly-looking cartoon.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Bold of you to assume nerds are ever not mad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurdiak posted:

Why are we talkin' about Dragonball.

That is a very ugly-looking cartoon.

The Cartoon is very well animated and energetic even if I am not crazy about the design.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Cartoon is very well animated

I mean it isn't. It's obviously using very minimal frames of animation and looks to be made in whatever replaced Flash.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Looks very snappy and some cuts are really smooth and exciting. The color palette is excellent, too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurdiak posted:

I mean it isn't. It's obviously using very minimal frames of animation and looks to be made in whatever replaced Flash.

You sure cause every clip I have seen look super smooth and snappy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All I'm saying is I wouldn't use the word "smooth" to describe this.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 20, 2018

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lurdiak posted:

They’re talking about Dragon Ball. Read the quoted posts.

Also, Dragon Ball is a manga, aka a comic for you bakas, so it’s “comic book animation.”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nanigans posted:

They’re talking about Dragon Ball. Read the quoted posts.

No they're not.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

smooth as a shark, baby

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Turtles: The smoothest of beasts.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What I'm really grumpy about is that I kinda dig a lot of that, despite the fact that I should be hating all this visually busy junk.

I don't like that Leo though. Can they replace him with April?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What I'm really grumpy about is that I kinda dig a lot of that, despite the fact that I should be hating all this visually busy junk.

I don't like that Leo though. Can they replace him with April?

For some reason they swapped Leo and Ralph's personalities, which isn't a big deal, but will be confusing to any kids who watch it then watch anything else turtle related.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

For some reason they swapped Leo and Ralph's personalities, which isn't a big deal, but will be confusing to any kids who watch it then watch anything else turtle related.

They just wanted to make Partners In Kryme retroactively correct.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Synthbuttrange posted:

I like it. I like when the turtles have differences in their designs to show off their personality, ala the cg series and yeah it’s energetic as hell

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1020075585748389889?s=19

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think that TMNT trailer looks fine. But maybe I am just super burned out by the crappy DC animated movies and the Marvel animated shows being bland and stiff as gently caress. My baseline is, does it look better than most 90s cartoons? Then it's good enough. I feel like most the the recent DC and Marvel stuff fails that test.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First trailer for YJ: Outsiders.
http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/20/young-justice-outsiders-season-3-first-look/