Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh no its even more bullshit than gdpr. its just straight up "wahhhh americans are so much better than us so we have to penalize them for it" without even pretending to be about something real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
android antitrust

e.g. the same thing that should be happening in the us, and would be if this were the 90s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it shouldn't because its as much of a non-issue as it was when the doj went after Microsoft in the 90s

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

android antitrust

e.g. the same thing that should be happening in the us, and would be if this were the 90s

it isn't even the worst offense either. this is just google requiring their apps and search bar be included but the real slam dunk anti-trust violation is the anti-fragmentation clause which prohibits an OEM from making both an Android(tm) device stuffed with google poo poo and an AOSP device or anything remotely compatible with android.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
looking forward to the $50 billion gdpr fine in three years

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
i'm rotting away waiting

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

it shouldn't because its as much of a non-issue as it was when the doj went after Microsoft in the 90s

slick billy made a dirty deal with the feds

trust no windows

oh dear god they're on to me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

all corporations should constantly be fined into oblivion

e: guillotine the c-levels, gulag the managers

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

it isn't even the worst offense either. this is just google requiring their apps and search bar be included but the real slam dunk anti-trust violation is the anti-fragmentation clause which prohibits an OEM from making both an Android(tm) device stuffed with google poo poo and an AOSP device or anything remotely compatible with android.

goons in 2011: lol anroid is insanely fragmented, what a joke

goons in 2018: google is being fined for trying to stop fragmentation and that's a good thing

i just use a pager and a sharp zaurus smdh phone-havers

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gently caress Google

also I legit used to use a sharp zaurus (sl series)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pham Nuwen posted:

goons in 2018: google is being fined for trying to stop fragmentation and that's a good thing

google is poo poo and both the cause of and solution to this problem is loving terrible and bad

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

gently caress Google

also I legit used to use a sharp zaurus (sl series)

the one with the slide-down keyboard? those were the coolest loving things. early 2000s I was just sure the next thing they'd do was stick cell phone hardware in there because being a little nerdly teen I was ahead of the game in mostly wanting a little computer that could occasionally act as a telephone.

i never got to play with one outside of a store. did you try developing for it at all?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mrmcd posted:

My Pixel phone has developed a strange curse. Now, no matter what usb-c charging device I plug into it, instead of the charging battery indicator showing up, the male usb-c plug gets extremely hot and a strong scent of burning metal and chemicals is noticeable.

This is 100% reproducible on several different chargers.

"other than that it works great!"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

all corporations should constantly be fined into oblivion

e: guillotine the c-levels, gulag the managers

serious question, who would you like to take as a packed lunch out of siberia as a "walking supply"

like, if you had to eat part of them but keep them on their feet until you got hungry again?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Pham Nuwen posted:

the one with the slide-down keyboard? those were the coolest loving things. early 2000s I was just sure the next thing they'd do was stick cell phone hardware in there because being a little nerdly teen I was ahead of the game in mostly wanting a little computer that could occasionally act as a telephone.

i never got to play with one outside of a store. did you try developing for it at all?

yep ! I had an sl-5500 and later imported an sl-c1000. I always wanted to develop for them but I’m only a pretend programmer. I did get gngeo to compile on the sl-c1000 though so I could play puzzle bobble and neo turf masters (roms had to fit in memory, so they had to be smaller)

there were hella os projects for the sl-cxxx series, I mostly settled on one called pdaXrom. I could run Firefox and OpenOffice on it :cool:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

serious question, who would you like to take as a packed lunch out of siberia as a "walking supply"

like, if you had to eat part of them but keep them on their feet until you got hungry again?

idk im not a manager

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s possible for both of these things to be true:

google’s anti-fragmentation clause is anti-competitive and should be punished.

the eu can’t compete in tech and has decided to tax American companies with excessive and bullshit antitrust fines.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

syscall girl posted:

steve ballmer looks like he's got a lot of meat on him while not being so fat as to be unable to walk miles across the steppes. he's also old enough that i could probably overpower him when the time comes.

i'd get the most joy from eating zuck but 1. he's tiny so not much food, 2. i'm not sure his alien body chemistry is compatible with my digestive system

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

syscall girl posted:

I think this question is a bit bloodthirsty and macabre tbh

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

then i retract the word "like"

that is indeed not cool

just out of necessity like some kind of Alive poo poo but ya know, escaping a siberian gulag, maybe it's even someone you like but you think you can't outrun the bear but you can outrun dmitri

that sort of thing

practical stuff

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
it's a hypothetical like, how are you going to get out of this blender? you want to work at google right?

how do you get out of the blender?

you have, uhm 20 seconds until i make the moscow mule

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

syscall girl posted:

it's a hypothetical like, how are you going to get out of this blender? you want to work at google right?

how do you get out of the blender?

you have, uhm 20 seconds until i make the moscow mule

surely it'd be a Bloody Larry in this particular situation

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

surely it'd be a Bloody Larry in this particular situation

so you climb over him? i mean harsh, but fair

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

also, again Sapozhnik, sorry I've been going 48+ and I'm not really liking life right now and I still have a while to go so excuse the gross humor

i know it's not for everyone

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
ima shut my fat mouf and get back to *shudder* work

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pham Nuwen posted:

the anti-fragmentation clause has been in place since the beginning of Android. as we have seen it is at best marginally effective at preventing fragmentation of Android versions and devices but exceptionally effective at preventing fragmentation of google's ability to hoover-up data and serve ads.

The Management posted:

it’s possible for both of these things to be true:

google’s anti-fragmentation clause is anti-competitive and should be punished.

the eu can’t compete in tech and has decided to tax American companies with excessive and bullshit antitrust fines.

yep.

if the end goal is a competitive market the proper response to Google's Android-related anti-trust poo poo is not to fine google or require them to allow different search engines but instead to start completely stripping all ownership and control of android and the play store from google. the market damage has largely already been done and google will just find a way around lesser punishments.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Lol what market damage. Competition is a lie and all the eu native operating systems deserved to die.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

build red star os with the various postmarketos changes to it and run plasma mobile, imo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Blue Train posted:

build red star os with the various postmarketos changes to it and run plasma mobile, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzS0Id_HSWA

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fishmech posted:

Lol what market damage. Competition is a lie and all the eu native operating systems deserved to die.

base OS competition was never gonna happen and would be stupid but if google hadn't used the anti-fragmentation clause to force their apps and the play store as the default with front and center placement on every single android device not in China it is pretty likely that those niches would be taken by a variety of regional services, probably clustered by language.

China is kind of an artificial example, although google was getting its rear end kicked in search before it was forced out of the county so it is possible something similar would have happened in phones.

at the very least you'd likely end up with more uniform and robust messaging built in as regions settled into a preferred service. of course you'd probably just end up with someone like Facebook buying all of the resulting clusters like they did when WhatsApp beat Messenger adoption.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

base OS competition was never gonna happen and would be stupid but if google hadn't used the anti-fragmentation clause to force their apps and the play store as the default with front and center placement on every single android device not in China it is pretty likely that those niches would be taken by a variety of regional services, probably clustered by language.

China is kind of an artificial example, although google was getting its rear end kicked in search before it was forced out of the county so it is possible something similar would have happened in phones.

at the very least you'd likely end up with more uniform and robust messaging built in as regions settled into a preferred service. of course you'd probably just end up with someone like Facebook buying all of the resulting clusters like they did when WhatsApp beat Messenger adoption.

Ah yes the wonderful world of bootleg app stores, that's what the eu should enforce

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
antitrust lawsuits are good and google should be broken up

android is already broken so nothing to do there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

google should be banned from doing business in the eu and the rest of the world

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

antitrust lawsuits are good and google should be broken up

android is already broken so nothing to do there

nah

google's penalty should be to be forced to support every product they release for 10 years

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

google's penalty should be to be forced to support every product they release for 10 years

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

prohibition on the development and release of any new messaging clients until they are in compliance.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hobbesmaster posted:

nah

this would just end up with every goog product turning into youtube, where useful poo poo is removed constantly and the ux only gets worse

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

this would just end up with every goog product turning into youtube, where useful poo poo is removed constantly and the ux only gets worse

so business as usual

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Took the July security update for my pixel, the next day it started rebooting every 5 minutes, forcing me to do a factory reset. After it offered to restore from a cloud backup it claimed was only 50 minutes old but it only restored half of my apps.

Apple pls hurry up and announce the iPhone refreshes so I can decide which one to order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

Took the July security update for my pixel, the next day it started rebooting every 5 minutes, forcing me to do a factory reset. After it offered to restore from a cloud backup it claimed was only 50 minutes old but it only restored half of my apps.

Apple pls hurry up and announce the iPhone refreshes so I can decide which one to order.

probably has a geofenced self destruct tied to apple's campus

• Locked thread