Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

They are new X-Wings and TIE Fighters that we haven't seen before. Before The Force Awakens, where had we seen T-70s and Special Forces TIEs?

You misunderstood my post. Seeing a new variant of X-Wing is significantly less cool than seeing an entirely new genus of spaceship.

Seeing a new kind of TIE Fighter owns if and only if it has a different silhouette. Thus: TIE Bombers showing up for the first time was sick as hell, but the two-seater that Poe and Finn escaped on was not new enough to be exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

You misunderstood my post. Seeing a new variant of X-Wing is significantly less cool than seeing an entirely new genus of spaceship.

Seeing a new kind of TIE Fighter owns if and only if it has a different silhouette. Thus: TIE Bombers showing up for the first time was sick as hell, but the two-seater that Poe and Finn escaped on was not new enough to be exciting.

I liked that one and it loving up the hangar but I have no strong feelings at all about the different x-wings and ties beyond that. They're the same things, which are still cool looking.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The new X-Wings actually look worse than the classic ones. They're ugly.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm just annoyed that the First Order TIEs have an inverted color scheme compared to the originals. It doesn't make sense on so many levels - inverted color scheme implies they're the opposite, but the First Order is deliberately trying to be a continuation of the Empire, so why would they change the colors? And the black sections on the TIE are meant to be solar panels, so it's extra stupid to have them in any color but black!

And the original trilogy gave us four different styles of TIE that were visually distinct while still sharing the same basic design, so it just feels extra-lazy that we just got a palette swap for the sequels.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Tie fighters evolved into bombers and interceptors on screen, then sequels regressed the entire visual evolution. Even the first star wars hinted at a faster, more efficient tie with vader’s fighter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The TFA ships are designed to look exactly the same to people who don't read visual dictionaries, and just different enough to convince the people who read visual dictionaries that they're new and interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't seem like a big deal either way. I have a hard time imagining it either diminishes or improves anyone's lack of/enjoyment of the movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

The TFA ships are designed to look exactly the same to people who don't read visual dictionaries, and just different enough to convince the people who read visual dictionaries that they're new and interesting.

Why don't you actually look at the ships on screen with your eyeballs? You don't need a supplementary book to see the differences between the OT and ST X-Wings.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Why don't you actually look at the ships on screen with your eyeballs? You don't need a supplementary book to see the differences between the OT and ST X-Wings.

Which is presumably why they didn't say you needed one.

The point is that they made sure to limit the differences to things that would only matter to people who care about the fine details as part of a general theme of doing more to appeal to nostalgia than novelty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

Maybe someone else wouldn't, but I didn't realize they were different designs until it was pointed out to me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

jivjov posted:

This is pedantry. I know that you stake your reputation on defending absolutely every aspect of Star Wars on some EU errata, but for the average viewer, or even those of us who consider ourselves fairly close to the material, it is a distinction without a difference. In terms of artwork, the sequels are simply derivative, and deliberately so. You might not take issue with that, but it’s true.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seems like sequels are by definition a derivative of their source.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Strictly from an art and design perspective, the prequels can be described as being less derivative of the original films than the sequels. This shouldn’t be controversial. Whether it increases your enjoyment of the film is obviously up to you. The design decisions for the sequels are interpreted by me as being on the whole quite cynical, and unimaginative. Virtually nothing about the art or design of the sequels surprised or delighted me. It’s obviously subjective how you’ll respond to it. Whether or not this is a majority or minority opinion is of no interest to me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also all Aliens have been replaced except the token dude who says one line to Po. Where are all the crazy species from the previous movies and from the EU?

Give me some Verpine technicians dammit.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

oh hey

https://twitter.com/StarWarsNewsNet/status/1020031890500096000

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Really love how the characters look with their Episode 3 designs.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Interesting that the animation budget seems to be close to the show's previous levels, what with Obi-Wan's flowing robe and Anakin's long hair.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Probably helps that this is a 12 episode run instead of a longer season like 1-5

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

jivjov posted:

The only thing that ever stood out to me while watching the movies was that the that the new X-Wings have split engines instead of four whole ones, and the problem there is that it looks really ugly compared to the OT design.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hope the Republic win the Clone Wars.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Episode X-XII should go for a Warring States way instead of New New Republic. All these smaller states fighting each other for control.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Episode X-XII should go for a Warring States way instead of New New Republic. All these smaller states fighting each other for control.

drat. Now you got me thinking about an alternate Episode VII that was Star Wars but Ran. Luke is gonna retire and hand down the Jedi Order to one of his kids and all hell breaks loose.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

drat. Now you got me thinking about an alternate Episode VII that was Star Wars but Ran. Luke is gonna retire and hand down the Jedi Order to one of his kids and all hell breaks loose.

Goddamn that would have been so loving good.

George might have liked the idea: he did throw money at Kurosawa so he could make Kagemusha.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

That would actually be both good and not like Episode IV-VI, so it definitely won't happen.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Angry Salami posted:

I'm just annoyed that the First Order TIEs have an inverted color scheme compared to the originals. It doesn't make sense on so many levels - inverted color scheme implies they're the opposite, but the First Order is deliberately trying to be a continuation of the Empire, so why would they change the colors? And the black sections on the TIE are meant to be solar panels, so it's extra stupid to have them in any color but black!

And the original trilogy gave us four different styles of TIE that were visually distinct while still sharing the same basic design, so it just feels extra-lazy that we just got a palette swap for the sequels.

For me the thing that doesn't make sense about the FO TIEs is that they have a seat facing backward.. That operates the forward firing weapons. The design makes no goddamn sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SolarFire2 posted:

For me the thing that doesn't make sense about the FO TIEs is that they have a seat facing backward.. That operates the forward firing weapons. The design makes no goddamn sense.

The gunnery seat controls a turret; its got a 360 degree firing arc; other than where it would fire through the wings, obviously.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

Fairly certain the T-47 was the same way

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI7WyhWZkzk

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
haha what

e: hey gang, w--we heard some of you aren't into the New Star Wars! that's okay! remember that TV show you liked so much? h--how about more of it???

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 20, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Harime Nui posted:

haha what

e: hey gang, w--we heard some of you aren't into the New Star Wars! that's okay! remember that TV show you liked so much? h--how about more of it???

You know Clone Wars is in the same continuity as the Sequel Trilogy, right?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't know what's real anymore. I just want a comic that shows the Sheevmobile.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They also did not manage to finish all episodes of the show when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

Stop being so smug about these terrible new movies you dummy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

I don't know what's real anymore. I just want a comic that shows the Sheevmobile.

The Lando comic from a few years ago was about him stealing Sheev's favorite space yaucht.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

what does that have to do with anything

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

jivjov posted:

The gunnery seat controls a turret; its got a 360 degree firing arc; other than where it would fire through the wings, obviously.

lmao

This is what jivjov actually believes.

Like genuinely, given how much fighters in star wars are shown to be able to gimbal their fixed guns, what the hell difference does putting a turret in the worst possible spot on a TIE fighter make other than the ability to shoot backwards and below you? Because 360 degree arc!!!*

*except where wings are in the way

is some serious marketing spiel on a ship shaped like an H. It's a 30-degree band along the meridian of the bottom hemisphere at very best.

Why is the turret not mounted on the outside of one the wings, where it would actually make a meaningful difference in terms of covering a massive blind spot, and have an actually unrestricted field of fire? Are we meant to believe that FO procurement is a Pentagon Wars style shitshow?

Also the new X-wing is incredibly dumb too in that it just has a different, bulkier cowl around what clearly still has to be four distinct engines.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

Lol

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sponges posted:

Stop being so smug about these terrible new movies you dummy

What "terrible new movies"? The only star wars movies I've seen in the past few years have been great.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

What "terrible new movies"? The only star wars movies I've seen in the past few years have been great.

You’ll get there someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Man come on Jivjov....