Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, all zones now have had transitions added, Metal Sonic's boss fight was overhauled, and a few other sections have had minor tweaks.

They're both really good, Ray just shines in more specific circumstances. Like the fact he can basically fly over large swaths of many courses.

Oh, the Metal Sonic bossfight is overhauled in Mania as well? Shame, thought it was a special thing for Encore. The changes to TMZ2 boss probably also made it to Mania mode, and those made the boss significantly easier to two-cycle for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/sonic/

Sonic 1 for Switch comes out in Japan in August. It will have drop dash and spin dash options.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It will also have the arcade version of the game available.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sonic 2 they inevitably release won't also have the Drop Dash and the mobile version's Hidden Palace level.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dehry posted:

http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/sonic/

Sonic 1 for Switch comes out in Japan in August. It will have drop dash and spin dash options.

No widescreen though? Boooo!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why the gently caress wouldn’t it be the Retro engine remake? Their refusal to release those on console is utterly baffling to me :psyduck:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn’t it be the Retro engine remake? Their refusal to release those on console is utterly baffling to me :psyduck:

M2 does good work. The 3D Classics version of Sonic 1 is very much the equal of the Retro Engine version, and with the Drop Dash and Mega Play version included it's easily the superior version of the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega Ages Switch is handled by M2, the studio that did Sega 3D Classics, and they make a point of working with the original data wherever possible as opposed to porting ports. It's kinda frustrating because they're the company you'd want to handle pretty much every retro game but in this specific instance they really can't be expected to match up to the Retro Engine remasters.

My hope is that they'll put Whitehead and co. onto a proper remaster collection now that Mania's wrapped up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
M2's stuff is high enough quality that it's not really a concern outside of widescreen in this case.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also with the Ages version you can play a version of the game that doesn't include Labyrinth Zone, so.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Labyrinth is fine if it doesn't lag like poo poo.

Let me guess though, it does.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Did they make the Oil Ocean 2 boss easier or something? I beat it first try in encore mode, but before the dlc i'd usually lose at least a couple of lives to it. In fact encore mode as a whole seems easier, I only died like 3 times in my whole first playthrough, what happens when you run out of characters?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Sega is segmented and highly political.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

the cool posts kid posted:

Did they make the Oil Ocean 2 boss easier or something? I beat it first try in encore mode, but before the dlc i'd usually lose at least a couple of lives to it. In fact encore mode as a whole seems easier, I only died like 3 times in my whole first playthrough, what happens when you run out of characters?

I think the tentacles lower into the oil before the body now-, it definitely seemed easier but I was using mighty

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

This game is a joy to play. The gameplay is so good and the music is god-tier.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

M2's stuff is high enough quality that it's not really a concern outside of widescreen in this case.

but it’s not widescreen

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah M2 do good work but ultimately a patched rom running on an emulator isn't going to compare to a game rebuilt from the ground up to work on modern systems.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really like how they milkindividuals games. How many times has Sonic 1 been released/re-released on it's own now?

Put out a dang collection. I'd pay good money for a retro engine 1-3&K collection.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah M2 do good work but ultimately a patched rom running on an emulator isn't going to compare to a game rebuilt from the ground up to work on modern systems.

Especially infuriating given that one of the pitches of the retro engine is the easy portability: now that they made a Retro Engine Switch frontend for Mania they can very nearly just bung the Sonic 1/2/CD datafiles in and ship off to testing.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Just finished Encore mode 100%. That was totally worth the 5 bucks. The arrangement of the stages are cool and makes exploring just as fun when I first played Sonic Mania. Also when I was playing, it reminded me how much I liked the teamwork in Knuckles' Chaotix and Sonic Advence 3. Liked using Knuckles to bust though walls and then switching to Ray to fly in Lava Reef. I do wish that you could have unlocked a Ring Power mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nodosaur posted:

M2 does good work. The 3D Classics version of Sonic 1 is very much the equal of the Retro Engine version, and with the Drop Dash and Mega Play version included it's easily the superior version of the game.

No widescreen so no. It’s cool they’re adding the drop dash though I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some interesting things I've found while messing around with Mania's debug mode (which I believe does not actually work in Encore Mode along with most of the other unlockable extras):

-If you're playing as Sonic with his Sonic CD moveset equipped, spawn a character swap monitor (it will appear as a monitor with a blank screen when you're cycling through the various items) and break it. Whoever you switch to will retain the Super Peel Out for the remainder of the act.

-If you spawn an end of level signpost during the boss of Titanic Monarch you will be immediately sent to Egg Reverie regardless of who you're playing as or how many Emeralds you have.

-Doing the same thing in Egg Reverie will kill you instantly.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1020323369063976960

Sonic Mania DLC already on sale.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Just finished encore mode - without all the emeralds, I'm going to have to find a ring to cheese - definitely worth the price (and I didn't find any glitches yet).

On the other hand, I'm not sure I ever fully understood the new characters' mechanics (probably because I was only using them for 2/5 of the time).

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I was iffy about the 5 dollar price point but you knock 80 cents off it and you got a deal partner

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dehry posted:

Sonic Mania DLC already on sale.
On sale on Fanatical it's more than Steam not on sale, in Canada. Nicely done Fanatical!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dzhay posted:

Just finished encore mode - without all the emeralds, I'm going to have to find a ring to cheese - definitely worth the price (and I didn't find any glitches yet).

On the other hand, I'm not sure I ever fully understood the new characters' mechanics (probably because I was only using them for 2/5 of the time).

FBZ has a ring right at the start in the top right of the first room where you'd normally take the platform down.

Cripes the emerald stages are hard though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Picked up the DLC and finally went back to get the true ending in the base game. No idea why it took me this long to get around to it.

After retrying Special Stage 5 a few times to finally clear it, stage 6 took me two tries, and then I nailed the final stage on my first try. Go figure!

The updated Metal Sonic boss gave me a lot of trouble before I realized your safest option is to Drop Dash into him repeatedly instead of trying to jump at him (bad rebound angles) or go behind him (insta-death pit).

Encore Mode is fun so far.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's weird that the hardest special stage in the original game is the fifth. I still haven't even cleared the first stage in encore mode because I keep falling off

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finished Encore last night, and I honestly like Mighty and Ray more in Mania mode. Switching everyone randomly was fun at first. But half way through I was just deciding to stay as Knuckles and go.

I have 1 emerald left. All of them were pretty simple, once I figured out what they were going for. The last one is weird though. I might have to just look up how to do it. It feels more like a maze of 'decide what path to go on each loop for min/maxing speed and timer in the right order.' But then it just stays a specific distance ahead of me forever until I mess up a corner jump and lose. :shrug:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hrist posted:

I finished Encore last night, and I honestly like Mighty and Ray more in Mania mode. Switching everyone randomly was fun at first. But half way through I was just deciding to stay as Knuckles and go.

I have 1 emerald left. All of them were pretty simple, once I figured out what they were going for. The last one is weird though. I might have to just look up how to do it. It feels more like a maze of 'decide what path to go on each loop for min/maxing speed and timer in the right order.' But then it just stays a specific distance ahead of me forever until I mess up a corner jump and lose. :shrug:

So there are two forks: the early one has a direct route going right and a roundabout sphere-and-ring focused route going left. The second fork (after a couple jumps and a turn) has another fork with the indirect route being right this time.

The way I did that one was taking the direct route for Mach 1, focusing on spheres but grabbing rings where able. Make sure when you're jumping between platforms with rotating spheres go against the pattern of rotation to pick up more (you can skip one if you're having too much trouble falling off with a given platform). Second lap should be Mach 2, and you should take the roundabout path at the first fork, grabbing as many spheres and rings as you can, and then take the direct path, using the same "against the rotation" strat. This is also a good time to pick up any ring boxes before you get too fast. Mach 3 you're basically just gonna have to get really good at the stage, the UFO will still be leagues ahead of you, and while the first two laps were built to mitigate that it's still probably a good 2-3 before you'll catch up. Cut every drat corner you can, detour a little to grab rings if you really need to.

This, more than any of the other emerald stages, is a matter of getting really good at gaining time on the track, unlike others where there's kind of a route you can "solve" and fairly consistently get the emerald as long as you have decent execution.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I spent the morning learning the in and outs of Ray in my favorite level...he is soooo good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgW6sO0c2kQ

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

:eyepop:

That's some good Ray speedrunning there. I admire your superior aerial control.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, that's some good stuff EvilEagle. Been looking forward to seeing some Ray gameplay from some one who really knows what they are doing.

Can't imagine it'll ever end up as popular as the standard mode, but going to be super interesting (at least I hope) to see how Encore full game speedruns develop.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If anyone else is messing around in time trial mode, make sure to periodically save your better replays. You can race a ghost version of all of your saved replays which is really helpful for improving your time and just learning Ray's flight mechanics in general.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paused posted:

Yeah, that's some good stuff EvilEagle. Been looking forward to seeing some Ray gameplay from some one who really knows what they are doing.

Can't imagine it'll ever end up as popular as the standard mode, but going to be super interesting (at least I hope) to see how Encore full game speedruns develop.

I can't imagine Encore mode being that interesting. Just gonna be ray in most cases

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I wish I could just play the alternative versions of the stages without the encore mechanics.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
You're not alone, that would be neat

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Elentor posted:

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I wish I could just play the alternative versions of the stages without the encore mechanics.

they're in time trial mode

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

yeah honestly I like the idea of encore mode better than the execution I'd rather just have a normal game with slightly harder stages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Sonic Master Quest