Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

John Murdoch posted:

It's incredibly depressing how many fighting games just chase the purestrain diehard competitive stuff and ignore casual singleplayer modes entirely.

Last I checked something like ~5% of Injustice 2 players on the PS4 even have the "win 10 ranked matches" trophy. Many people enjoy playing fighting games predominantly or even exclusively SP and ignoring solo content is a great way to have your Yet Another Anime Airdasher be totally dead within a week.

Can't wait for the return of Soul Calibur and create-a-soul in October, it's been far too long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One of the Kung Loa/Tanya intros in MKX is a riff on the "Bite your thumb" bit from Romeo and Juliet.

I'm also partial to
Ferra: Can't-see-man!
Kenshi: I am formidible, regardless.
Ferra: We formable regargles too!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I want whatever job that allows me to write FG intros for a living.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best Mortal Kombat video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-egksufiao

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dr Christmas posted:

One of the Kung Loa/Tanya intros in MKX is a riff on the "Bite your thumb" bit from Romeo and Juliet.

I'm also partial to
Ferra: Can't-see-man!
Kenshi: I am formidible, regardless.
Ferra: We formable regargles too!

I did like her refering to Kung Lao as 'Hat-man'. Simple, and effective.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Last I checked something like ~5% of Injustice 2 players on the PS4 even have the "win 10 ranked matches" trophy. Many people enjoy playing fighting games predominantly or even exclusively SP and ignoring solo content is a great way to have your Yet Another Anime Airdasher be totally dead within a week.

Can't wait for the return of Soul Calibur and create-a-soul in October, it's been far too long!

I pretty much only enjoy fighting games while drinking with friends, which is why Mortal Kombat is the only good fighting game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I think you're forgetting the last actually-decent Soul Calibur was SCIII. But you may have had your own memory corrupted along with your savegame, so that's forgivable.

(I want the new Soul Calibur to be good, I just don't have high hopes after the last two)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

People are excited for SC6 precisely because it's a reboot of the SC timeline going all the way back to Soul Blade and pretty much ignores 4&5 ever happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

People are excited for SC6 precisely because it's a reboot of the SC timeline going all the way back to Soul Blade and pretty much ignores 4&5 ever happened.

Does it reboot the gameplay back to classic SC1/2/3 too? Because it was not fun past that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

exquisite tea posted:

if they’re trying to tell me Darth Vader and Yoda never showed up they can gently caress right off

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Has Voldo been announced yet? My PYF little things in games is the fact I can play as a mime-gimp in Soulblade games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

Has Voldo been announced yet? My PYF little things in games is the fact I can play as a mime-gimp in Soulblade games.

Not officially announced but almost certainly a sure thing, since the entire main cast of SC1 is likely to return.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Not officially announced but almost certainly a sure thing, since the entire main cast of SC1 is likely to return.

All I care is that Talim's back. I pissed off a lot of friends with her double crescent blades in SC2 and 3.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Are Ivy’s tits gonna get bigger and her outfit smaller? Because that poo poo was already past the point of parody two games ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Let's just say I hope they had bodyglide back in the 1500s because Ivy's bazongas are gonna chafe something fierce.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All I care is that Talim's back. I pissed off a lot of friends with her double crescent blades in SC2 and 3.

I remember very little about the weapons in Soul Calibur 2. Only that Yoshimitsu's Soul Edge had a lot of lifesteal, that the joke weapons were pretty fun, and that the Double Crescent Blades were better weapons than anything else Talim had, including Soul Calibur itself.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Was SC2 the one with a GC port and that adventure mode? I thought that was really neat, if a bit clunky (not that that stopped me from having fun completing the whole thing).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

It's incredibly depressing how many fighting games just chase the purestrain diehard competitive stuff and ignore casual singleplayer modes entirely.

I think my interest for Tekken just sort of drifted off once I no longer had to unlock the full roster. Having to work to get over half of them gave me a reason to try out every character and made getting more of them exciting. I'd love to replay Tekken 3 but I'm pretty certain them licensing Gon is the reason it's never shown up on psn.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was SC2 the one with a GC port and that adventure mode? I thought that was really neat, if a bit clunky (not that that stopped me from having fun completing the whole thing).

It had Link as a fighter. It was incredible.

If Adventure Mode does not make a comeback, no sale. :colbert:

Also Necrid had better be back. OR NO SALE. :dogbutton:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, 2 was the multi-platform one, and the one that introduced the... probably double-edged sword of guest characters to the series.

Now I'm curious who the first guest character was in fighting games overall, though, because that was probably one of the biggest impacts on the genre and how it'd unfold in the future since super meters. Was it Gom in Tekken 3?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really hope they've toned down the boobosity of the game in SC6. I love playing fighting games with my friends, but those jiggle physics and outfits were just embarrassing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

glad she is dead posted:

I really hope they've toned down the boobosity of the game in SC6. I love playing fighting games with my friends, but those jiggle physics and outfits were just embarrassing.

They should hire some properly insane fashion designer to do all the costumes for fighting games. If you're going to have ridiculous outfits at least be properly avante garde about it.

Content: The Threaded Cane in Bloodborne feels so incredibly dapper and dignified. The description is:

""One of the trick weapons of the workshop, commonly used by hunters on their duties. Sufficiently deadly as a rigid bladed cane, but also serves as a whip when its blade is split into many. Concealing the weapon inside the cane and flogging the beasts with the whip is partly an act of ceremony, an attempt to demonstrate to oneself that the bloodlust of the hunt will never encroach upon the soul."

and holy hell does it lean into that last part. To switch into cane mode you jab it sharply on the ground like an irritated nobleman, your moves become all crisp and sharp. In whip mode you swing wildly and then snap it back behind you with a little flourish like a vicious lion tamer. It really captures the feel of primal rage being kept in check by decorum and force of will. The top hat and tails helps too.

Storytelling through attack animations! It's wonderful.

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Jul 19, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I remember very little about the weapons in Soul Calibur 2. Only that Yoshimitsu's Soul Edge had a lot of lifesteal, that the joke weapons were pretty fun, and that the Double Crescent Blades were better weapons than anything else Talim had, including Soul Calibur itself.

I think they were meant to be a like a high-risk/reward thing because of how short they are compared to her other weapons. Except all it meant was that once you get in close with them your opponent is about to experience pain. Especially against the long-reach characters like Kilik or Maxi who need a bit of a windup to get going.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

codenameFANGIO posted:

If AdventureChronicles of the Sword Mode does not make a comeback, no sale. :colbert:
fixed :colbert:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

The old Guilty Gears had bullshit hard single player modes, but the newest one gave it an adaptive difficulty so people who actually want the challenge can still play it for high scores, but if you're just playing for the story it's easy to just have fun trying out all the characters. Ditto for Dragon Ball FighterZ. Arc System Works understands that the challenge is going to come from multiplayer, and finally learned that bashing your head against an AI does nothing for your ability to play a fighting game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Quote-Unquote posted:

I pretty much only enjoy fighting games while drinking with friends, which is why Mortal Kombat is the only good fighting game.

Both of these are really important to fighting games for me and why I also have gotten way more playtime out of NRS fighting games than stuff like MvC3 or Street Fighter. I can play them on my own like any other genre of game, with an actual story mode, or if I have friends over we can pass around the controller with some beers and have a blast playing or watching ridiculous poo poo happen.

The games that are aimed at the pro community don’t really have that, because they’re too complex for people to just pick up and play like that, and they’re also not fun to watch unless you’re a fighting game fan yourself.

By the way, the best way to do a game of MK with friends is with the “if you get fatality’d you can’t use that character anymore” rule. Works best with MK9 since the 2v2 setup means you have to balance keeping your best guy safe vs. putting him out to try to salvage a win and risking getting fatality’d. It’s a lot of fun with X too though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
MKX also has the best response to shitheads quitting online matches when it's clear that they're losing. If you quit the game mid-match or reboot your console or whatever, your character's head explodes as the game duly announces "QUITALITY!" and the online ranking system counts it as a win for the opponent.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Both of these are really important to fighting games for me and why I also have gotten way more playtime out of NRS fighting games than stuff like MvC3 or Street Fighter. I can play them on my own like any other genre of game, with an actual story mode, or if I have friends over we can pass around the controller with some beers and have a blast playing or watching ridiculous poo poo happen.

The games that are aimed at the pro community don’t really have that, because they’re too complex for people to just pick up and play like that, and they’re also not fun to watch unless you’re a fighting game fan yourself.

Yeah, this is one major reason Street Fighter and suchlike never really clicked for me. Much of their depth is basically hidden on a meta level that you only really find out about through spending endless time in the practice mode or by watching youtube tutorials. This also has the side-effect of making the roster feel rather homogeneous, particularly in the case of Street Fighter. Many of the differences between characters there works out to stuff like "this one's low kick attack is a safe on block, while this one's overhead can do something on confirm" or whatever the gently caress that you'll only really see once you really get down into the nitty-gritty. Meanwhile on the coarser surface level a lot of the cast feels rather similar, with almost exactly the same set of basic attacks, and a mere handful of special attacks that often fall into quite similar categories as well.

Contrast that to the newer Mortal Kombats, where even as a complete novice you can open up the ingame moveset for any given character and be presented with a much wider variety of basic attacks, special moves, and premade kombos. It makes the characters feel quite a bit more unique, and provides you with more things to toy around with on an approachable surface level without having to start digging into the :spergin: details. I also rather liked that about Soul Calibur, though I only really played part IV for and don't know how V was in that respect.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The problem is that Mortal Kombat looks and feels like poo poo to play.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The only experience I have with the new Mortal Kombats is picking up a controller for MK9 at a press event and getting clowned on by one of the game's developers. Just absolutely destroyed.

Seemed fun though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm trash baby casual and can't wait for the new Smash to come out.

Now if only the Switch had a dozen more games on it I wanted so I could justify buying one...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is there a thread for Soul Calibur?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Probably too early for its own thread but SC news pops up every now and then in the Fighting Game thread in Games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope they being back Chronicles of the Sword mode. I loved that. The tower mode from that last game was weak in comparison.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Played Hat in Time for the first time in a few months, I love how Paper Marioish the writing is. I don't know if that's the proper term - but its really pleasant.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cleretic posted:

Now I'm curious who the first guest character was in fighting games overall, though, because that was probably one of the biggest impacts on the genre and how it'd unfold in the future since super meters. Was it Gom in Tekken 3?

I'm not exactly a historian on these things, but I think that title of honor would go to Hornet in Fighters Megamix in 1996. Who is Hornet? The race car from Daytona USA. It also included some of the Not Sonic characters from the Sonic fighters game so, probably the first fighting game to feature guest fighters.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jul 19, 2018

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The two Fighter's History games have Karnov from, well, Karnov. He's a non-playable boss in the first one (1993) and and a playable character in Fighter's History Dynamite aka Karnov's Revenge (1994).

But that's a character from an earlier game by the same developer, so for a completely unrelated property it actually probably is Gon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm trash baby casual and can't wait for the new Smash to come out.

Now if only the Switch had a dozen more games on it I wanted so I could justify buying one...

I've been assured it's "completely worth buying because Breath of the Wild is great and you'll love it on Switch"

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not exactly a historian on these things, but I think that title of honor would go to Hornet in Fighters Megamix in 1996. Who is Hornet? The race car from Daytona USA. It also included some of the Not Sonic characters from the Sonic fighters game so, probably the first fighting game to feature guest fighters.

Guest characters are characters not owned by the parent company. Fighters Megamix and Daytona USA are both Sega franchises.

So I would put forth Akuma in X-Men: Children of the Atom as the first one since Capcom didn't own the Marvel license. Soul Calibur 2 was the one that made it a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I've been assured it's "completely worth buying because Breath of the Wild is great and you'll love it on Switch"

Im sorry people lied to you.

The correct reason is picross