Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Skeleton King posted:

The article from CNN said they claim it uses a lithium ion battery about the size of a common assault rifle magazine. I don’t know laser engineering, but I do know enough to have a very light understanding of what you are talking about, namely the fact that you need absurd amounts of energy to do anything worthwhile with a laser weapon.

So yeah, as I thought the Chinese are full of poo poo. I don’t know poo poo about laser engineering, but I was also skeptical when they said the power source was so small. Unless there’s some wizardry you can do to get more power out of less fuel I’m assuming they’re full of poo poo.

They are. The problem with laser weaponry nowadays isn't the laser, it's the power source. How much it can hold, how fast it can discharge. The new US carriers will eventually mount lasers, which is feasible because they have an entire extra nuclear reactor for powering them. Portable blinding laser weapons are doable since the energy required to blind someone is a hell of a lot lower than for a sci-fi pew pew laser thing.

A thousand shots out of a laser rifle in 2018 is something your friend's uncle who works at Nintendo talks about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Wow, never thought I'd see such rigorous defense of China in the good China thread.

Anyway, as always the war stories from Shanghai Disney never fail to entertain.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

They are. The problem with laser weaponry nowadays isn't the laser, it's the power source. How much it can hold, how fast it can discharge. The new US carriers will eventually mount lasers, which is feasible because they have an entire extra nuclear reactor for powering them. Portable blinding laser weapons are doable since the energy required to blind someone is a hell of a lot lower than for a sci-fi pew pew laser thing.

A thousand shots out of a laser rifle in 2018 is something your friend's uncle who works at Nintendo talks about.

But what about in 2020?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hakimashou posted:

But what about in 2020?

India will be a superpower by then.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I was at Shanghai Disney Land during Chinese new year one time. It was very crowded, but I had a good time nonetheless.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
As a contrast to that huge fantasy flop: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44876528

quote:

It is inspired by the true story of Chinese businessman Lu Yong who was arrested five years ago for importing a generic cancer drug.
The case against him was dismissed after public debate of the issue, AFP news agency notes.
Xu Zheng, a popular comedy actor and director, plays Mr Lu, a smuggler who develops compassion for the patients who buy his drugs.
The villain of the dark comedy is the pharmaceutical industry.

It’s made $390 million so far.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Over There posted:

Woah what is this thread

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comments/900qf6/girl_clipping_her_nails_on_the_train_off_cuts/

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
That idiot should know that if people get her nails they can put a curse on her

50000 years of ignorance

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
who would notice, if one has already been cursed to be born as 农民

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why do Chinese people hold their phone like it’s a dinner plate?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why do Chinese people hold their phone like it’s a dinner plate?

they're very large phones

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
MONTREAL (AFP) - A major black bear poaching ring has been broken up in Quebec, as demand for their gallbladders from enthusiasts of traditional medicine remains high, authorities said Wednesday (July 19).

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/americas/canada-says-bear-poaching-network-is-broken-up

No countries were named though.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

MONTREAL (AFP) - A major black bear poaching ring has been broken up in Quebec, as demand for their gallbladders from enthusiasts of traditional medicine remains high, authorities said Wednesday (July 19).

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/americas/canada-says-bear-poaching-network-is-broken-up

naming countries would be racist

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
in other news, the USD-RMB exchange rate has plummeted in the past few months, and I lost like 375 bucks off my paycheck since march, which blows, but I did actually get my last paycheck from china a few days ago, which I had completely written off and figured I'd never see. I'm completely done with china. how unbelievably refreshing

though I did run into a ton of Chinese tourists in akihabara last week and asked them to stop yelling in a store, and something tells me this won't be the last time I use my mandarin to ask people to keep it down in a quiet public place

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We're some countries unnamed?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So GTA what kind of responses do you get when you yell at mainland tour groups for obnoxious behavior? I don’t even yell, I just sigh and tell them straight up.

I used to get 什麼! or deer in the headlights stare back or someone look really confused.

Then one out of 10 I get a lady who gets really defensive over FACE LOST

Oh I also do it to obnoxious white people in Asia. But it’s more dangerous because they get more violent

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pirate Radar posted:

As a contrast to that huge fantasy flop: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44876528

It’s made $390 million so far.

The Daqing Buyers Club.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

deer in the headlights stare back or someone look really confused.

I get this response, occasionally with "is the foreigner speaking Chinese?" added on.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

So GTA what kind of responses do you get when you yell at mainland tour groups for obnoxious behavior? I don’t even yell, I just sigh and tell them straight up.

I used to get 什麼! or deer in the headlights stare back or someone look really confused.

Then one out of 10 I get a lady who gets really defensive over FACE LOST

Oh I also do it to obnoxious white people in Asia. But it’s more dangerous because they get more violent

I don't yell at anyone, it was a group of a ton of people borderline yelling in a quiet figurine store in akihabara. I just ask them "hey guys, this is Japan, not china. could you please not talk so loudly?" I get a lot of stares, one or two people say "wasai the foreigner speaks Chinese" and one or two people say "ok, I understand" either in chinese/English/japanese

it's never out of hatred or anger, it's always out of like "bro, this store is dead silent and there are 14 people screaming at each other in mandarin...look around. its quiet. please be more quiet" type of comment. people are either shocked I speak mandarin or say "ok I know it" and then try to speak more softly

I didn't meltdown in nine years in northeast china, there's no reason I'm going to start melting down about china in a civilized place like Tokyo lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

tbh people might actually stand up and clap or buy you beers if you get a group of mainlanders to behave in Akihabara

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

tbh people might actually stand up and clap or buy you beers if you get a group of mainlanders to behave in Akihabara

an actual skill I might put on my resume if we ever move back to Japan

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

an actual skill I might put on my resume if we ever move back to Japan

That’ll just mean you’ll be the one always chosen to take the Chinese business partners out for drinks. The reward for doing a good job is always more work

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

It's domestic consumption, I think, with how many Chinese have invaded fled immigrated to Canada

Dr.Radical posted:

That’ll just mean you’ll be the one always chosen to take the Chinese business partners out for drinks. The reward for doing a good job is always more work

There's a price point where you turn down extra work, though. And when it comes to rear end kissing between businesses, either it's brief or it's obscenely well funded.

One thing money can't buy, though: peace and quiet on your time off.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Am I an invader now :colbert:

It’s not like I had a choice when I was a 6 year old kid

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

in other news, the USD-RMB exchange rate has plummeted in the past few months,
Before trade battle, February to June: 1 USD = 6.3 or 6.4 RMB
Since trade battle from June to July: 1 USD = 6.7 RMB

Today it closed at 6.78. According to charts, it hasn't been that way since August of last year. I'm stoked.

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

caberham posted:

Am I an invader now :colbert:

It’s not like I had a choice when I was a 6 year old kid

That depends, how many condos do you own?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
my cousin owns 2 but he was born in Canada.

He was never rich and was always a frugal and down to earth nice guy.

By 27 he owned 2 condos.

Then again he’s like a million in one amazing nice human being and his mom was a realtor and encouraged him to buy apartments

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You're probably fine then. Probably.

Wait, do you happen to have a "blueberry farm" and "farmhouse" on agricultural preserve land? Those guys are the worst.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Matched with a foreign girl that teaches here. Her first words were asking me why I was in Shenzhen. I told her just hanging out with friends and making money on the side. She said she hated living here. I said sorry to hear that. She said she can't be friends with me and then unmatched me. I guess I wasn't negative enough about China?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I lived next to one and grew up in a house with no sewage hookup.

Oh sir, please sir make me feel welcome and Canadian! I’m not going to claim benefits and I won’t be a drain to your system :fuckoff:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bajaj posted:

Matched with a foreign girl that teaches here. Her first words were asking me why I was in Shenzhen. I told her just hanging out with friends and making money on the side. She said she hated living here. I said sorry to hear that. She said she can't be friends with me and then unmatched me. I guess I wasn't negative enough about China?

This same girl goes to the expat bar every night and cries because she can't find a boyfriend because THEY ALL DATE CHINESE WHORES *heave* I DON'T EVEN GET IT THEYRE NOT EVEN THAT PRETTY THEY JUST WEAR A LOT OF MAKEUP *honk* OMG I HATE CHINA U GUISE

e: bonus points if she "hates China" but has a million pics of herself making duck faces in "traditional robes."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
nah that was just the CCP trying to get dirt on you bajaj

good job ducking the entrapment

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Plunge the honeytrap.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

nah that was just the CCP trying to get dirt on you bajaj

good job ducking the entrapment

They read his texts, face track his whereabouts, and track his peers and have records. There is no need to honey trap him at all.

Unless ChaoShan girl was a spy a long

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

caberham posted:

They read his texts, face track his whereabouts, and track his peers and have records. There is no need to honey trap him at all.

Unless ChaoShan girl was a spy a long

u cannot understand

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

This same girl goes to the expat bar every night and cries because she can't find a boyfriend because THEY ALL DATE CHINESE WHORES *heave* I DON'T EVEN GET IT THEYRE NOT EVEN THAT PRETTY THEY JUST WEAR A LOT OF MAKEUP *honk* OMG I HATE CHINA U GUISE

e: bonus points if she "hates China" but has a million pics of herself making duck faces in "traditional robes."

Can I have her number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I met a girl like that in Singapore during a beer party. She was actually a friend of a goon, worked for Bloomberg and is moving to Hong Kong for the sole person of finding a guy because Singapore is “family orientated”

She starts to play with tinder in the bar and immediately rejects all Chinese/asian guys. She would settle for any white guy, especially a guy with a dog.

And the few times I in my life when I was involved with white girls I was considered “one of the good ones” or not really Chinese. I get really uncomfortable.

Well this one time I met this amazing art gallery girl who fell in love with me. Turns out she was 7 years older than me, wanted kids immediately, and is a divorcee who hasn’t filed her paperwork for China visa reasons :smith:

• Locked thread