Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the only good mass effect character was the green guy with lung cancer or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

fridge corn posted:

the only good mass effect character was the green guy with lung cancer or whatever

keith david was good too

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

DA1 isn't a good game because it's gameplay was trash even when it came out, and only got worse afterwards. The narrative and characters aren't too bad for a BioWare game tho, if you turn combat to super easy mode and just read every codex note and explore characters, it makes for an alright experience. Doesn't make it a good -game- though.

I'd go the other way and say that the writing and characters are typical bioware trash but the gameplay is actually pretty ok for an action-rpg in 2009 when the ball really hadn't moved far beyond the infinity engine and the present-day retro-RPG golden age hadn't happened yet. But wait, are you saying the combat was too hard so you had to play it on easy? Because the difficulty, balance and gameplay were p good on nightmare with a wizard main (wizards are the only interesting class to main in da:o). That's probably your problem

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI_BAz_NJKE

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

*Krogan won't stop killing and generally despoiling everything they come into contact with*

A Paragon: we can't judge them, it's just their culture!

*Salarians do a genophage*

A Krogan: so much for the tolerant left!

If Wrex and Eve are dead, you can essentially make this argument to Mordin and he decides not to cure them. It’s also the optimal solution from a war assets perspective*

*which are useless but still

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
:):hf::)

Also I went on to DAO straight after finishing the first Witcher, and let me tell you, the concept of a chemically mutated monster slayer belonging to a mostly extinct warrior monk order felt somewhat familiar. What I'm saying is, the DAO setting is even more of a rip off than people usually admit.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The talky parts are what sucked about DAO. It was like they generated the dialogue using an algorithm and a library of generic fantasy novels. Also the part when you have to traverse the hell / dream dimension is one of the worst experiences in gaming.

Bioware's games might be some of the worst derivative writing I've ever seen. There was this forum discussion where a DA:O writer was basically complimented for the reference in Morrigan's name and he just went "oh i didn't know about that I just stole my friends DnD character lol". I can't explain what I hate about their style much better than that.

It sometimes looks like what they write might have a meaning but that's just the shadow of whatever they are ripping off currently. And the problem isn't that they are copying other works, it's that they do it with zero understanding of what made the concept work in its original context.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the witcher 1 is a pretty good rpg hidden inside a terrible, awful action game and if you liked the setting of 2 and 3 you should play it, on easy, knowing that the swamp which is the second quest area is an awful slog that you should just power through asap without wasting time on side quests that aren't convenient along the way. once you get into the city it's ok and you'll start running into more familiar characters

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You say that, but I think gigglesquee is a deep concept to base a character around.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

the witcher 1 is a pretty good rpg hidden inside a terrible, awful action game and if you liked the setting of 2 and 3 you should play it, on easy, knowing that the swamp which is the second quest area is an awful slog that you should just power through asap without wasting time on side quests that aren't convenient along the way. once you get into the city it's ok and you'll start running into more familiar characters

I never understood the swamp hate. You start the second act in the city, it takes a long while unitl you get into the swamp, and then you just have to follow a road to a quest destiantion and be done with it, basically.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

I never understood the swamp hate. You start the second act in the city, it takes a long while unitl you get into the swamp, and then you just have to follow a road to a quest destiantion and be done with it, basically.

I think he might mean the outskirts in Act I with the hounds

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No, people specifically hate the swamp.

Also I really like the outskirts map, it's got some sort of je ne sais quoi that makes it work despite being objectively spread thin.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Colonel Cancer posted:

Other notably bad fantasy settings: Witcher.

My favorite Witcher moment is when Triss had to tell all the dudes at the castle that Ciri is physiologically different and that they don't know poo poo about being a girl

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The vizima outskirts have a really hosed up city boy lost in the boonies horror movie vibe that is pretty fun despite the fact there is an obscene amount of backtracking and back and forth between distant objectives with no fast travel. Most of act 1 is nothing more than running around back and forth.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

DAO gameplay was actually fun, imo

quote:

I thought Dragon Age: Origins was pretty good game

quote:

Overall I thought it was a great game

Sodomy Hussein posted:

DA1 is an RPG with:

- 100% opaque game design that makes it very easy to create a character who either can't complete the game or trounces all over it.

- Really dull WoW-style cooldown combat that has aged terribly

- Several sections that are dumb to do the first time and a complete loving slog after that, with mods to skip one entirely.

- A complete letdown of a climax

- An assortment of extremely annoying characters that are defined by their sexuality, from effeminate templar to bi elf to permiscuous witch

Like a lot of Bioware stuff, the game has aged like poo poo and didn't live up to the hype when it was brand new.

For that matter I think the only Mass Effect with any staying power was 2. ME1 was overrated tripe right out of the gate.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Morrigan was literally a selfish fantasy libertarian with no redeeming features. Now if you want a good character, take Shale or the dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YZjrnVfIhk&t=291s

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Begone, permiscuous witch!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i'm pretty sure i own all three fondly remembered mass effect games and i did genuinely enjoy what i played of 1 when i finally fired it up like two years ago but then i realized that i have 1 on like steam, 2 on origins, and i think 3 on ps3 somehow and it's like i don't have the time or willpower for that poo poo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Thedas is actually a fine name and not actually a mark of shame.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

i'm pretty sure i own all three fondly remembered mass effect games and i did genuinely enjoy what i played of 1 when i finally fired it up like two years ago but then i realized that i have 1 on like steam, 2 on origins, and i think 3 on ps3 somehow and it's like i don't have the time or willpower for that poo poo

mass effect 1 is really good because there's no shields blocking spacemagic so you can use all your magic on any enemy right away, and an adept can perma-cc any NPC by throwing them around the room while your bros shoot them, but you might not want to play anything but adept or vanguard unless you know what you're doing. also, elevator chats

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

why did people like Deus Ex again

the aiming in this game is atrocious

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

frajaq posted:

why did people like Deus Ex again

the aiming in this game is atrocious

They made it so your boss gets mad at you for going into the ladies' room and it has a decently-executed twist about the location of a prison cell you're in and that's basically it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

FoolyCharged posted:

Thedas is actually a fine name and not actually a mark of shame.

You’ve heard the story about how they came up with that one, yeah?

megallica
Nov 4, 2008

Oh god, my brain is full of BEES!!
Possibly unpopular opinion: there hasn't been a good run of survival horror game since around Silent Hill 3's era and never will be. Outlast, The Evil Within and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are good games, but really lack replayability. I miss the alternate endings and unique weapons. I also find the artistic and sound design a bit lacking. Action horror is where things are now and it makes me a bit sad. Indie horror is 98% garbage.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont care about the last of us 2. naughty dog arent good writers and ellie is not an interesting character.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

The Dragon Age Setting

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yeah, and I think it's a cute little story about the origin of genetic fantasy sounding name that rolls off the tongue.

What makes it worse than grandbell, magvel, ivalice or any of the other 5 billion made up names people have slapped on their fantasy world with little to no thought beyond "it sounds nice"?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

megallica posted:

Possibly unpopular opinion: there hasn't been a good run of survival horror game since around Silent Hill 3's era and never will be. Outlast, The Evil Within and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are good games, but really lack replayability. I miss the alternate endings and unique weapons. I also find the artistic and sound design a bit lacking. Action horror is where things are now and it makes me a bit sad. Indie horror is 98% garbage.

Mostly agree and I'm often sad that Horror games can't find a good middle ground between pure, story driven horror and total action gaminess with "horror stuff" in it these days. The Evil Within 2 was actually pretty good in that regard though.

Evil Within 1 sucked dog dick though.

megallica
Nov 4, 2008

Oh god, my brain is full of BEES!!

veni veni veni posted:

Evil Within 1 sucked dog dick though.

It was a sloppy doggy bj...But it did feel good.:buddy:

The Evil Within 2 is pretty much better than the first game in every way. I just got into it a few days ago. My biggest complaint is the needless sandbox like element and a little too much crafting for my taste.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I had more fun in DS2 than any of the other Soulsborne games*, and found BB to be the weakest in the series. I guess it's because the thing I like most is the meta-gimmicks, and bloodborne had the least, save for the moon phase stuff which to me felt like a commercial friendly sanitized version of world tendency.

*-almost exclusively thanks to rat king covenant.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Descent was better than Doom.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

publishers that push consumer satisfaction while making GBS threads on their developers deserve to be dismantled

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

megallica posted:

:same:

Playing the first 2 RE games as a kid blew my mind with their alternate paths and multiple endings. I loved getting the secret weapons in SH1. I'm really sad cool stuff like that usually just ends up as preorder bonuses or paid DLC now.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

octopath traveler is a pretty bland experience that has some good ideas but ultimately drops the ball by loving up the most crucial part of an rpg: the story

also people saying "their names spell out octopath! isn't that clever?" need to stop because it's not clever at all actually!!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

You'll have to try harder to bait somebody with this take, man.

The Witcher games arent good because thier source material is great, dude

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

poverty goat posted:

The swamp is where I quit. The busy body running around just sapped the fun out of it. In fact I think I just about finished the whole area but couldn't find the motivation to keep going.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Meme Emulator posted:

The Witcher games arent good because thier source material is great, dude

I mean, they lean heavily on the source material, which is also actually pretty good. Yeah, the gameplay and writing itself in the game is good and stands on its own merits, but it's silly to think that it's agnostic of the original books. Tonnes of the mechanics, characters are taken from it, the setting and the tone blah blah. All the games are absolutely love letters to the books.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The witcher is good becasuse in the game you can have sex with lovingly rendered nude videogame graphics

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Verisimilidude posted:

octopath traveler is a pretty bland experience that has some good ideas but ultimately drops the ball by loving up the most crucial part of an rpg: the story

there have been like three or four jrpgs with a good story throughout all of history and I'm convinced that even those were flukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

:same:

Playing the first 2 RE games as a kid blew my mind with their alternate paths and multiple endings. I loved getting the secret weapons in SH1. I'm really sad cool stuff like that usually just ends up as preorder bonuses or paid DLC now.

The best part of SH is that it only takes itself semi-seriously. The outtakes aren't some separate ending- they are in the credits. So you play this really super sad story that ends on a somber note with a bunch of people dying and then you get the see everyone being super goofy and out of character and it lifts your spirits a bit. Same with SH3 is the goofy character songs like Douglas smelling of fish.

Meanwhile all the American SH's try so hard to be gritty and dark and "atmospheric" and it comes off like the lamest poo poo. Westerners should leave Japanese horror the gently caress alone.