Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'll see about getting her an account. She's still in school so it's not like she's planning on signing paperwork tomorrow, and from what little I've heard nuclear is just one of the things she was considering, but if she is intent on joining I definitely want her to be as well-informed as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

what about those six figure jobs they can just walk into after!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

And yet you still joined; a GiP failure.

I joined the lol reserves as an IT and I'd recommend anyone kinda wandering in life to do it. Good family healthcare while I nail down a job in a new career and a decent security clearance. It could be a lot lot worse.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what about those six figure jobs they can just walk into after!

Be a high paid engineer in America's rapidly growing nuclear power sector!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Becoming a nuke means she has I believe the highest potential chance to kill herself out of any other military career.

I've never been remotely near Groton or wherever the gently caress they teach the nukes but even I've heard of the Skipjack dive team.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If she's majoring in engineering she can be a CEC officer after failing out of another pipeline :)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
When I was in high school the Navy offered me $30,000 to enlist to be a nuke.

That was in 2001. What's the bonus these days?

And then extrapolate from there: How great a job can this be if they're throwing money at people like this?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Viva Miriya posted:

I've never been remotely near Groton or wherever the gently caress they teach the nukes but even I've heard of the Skipjack dive team.

Groton is where the unlucky nukes go.

Nuke school is in Charleston, South Carolina which is a pretty great place to live. We have a C-school in Saratoga Springs, NY. It's cold there and everything is old. Would not recommend.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

McNally posted:

And then extrapolate from there: How great a job can this be if they're throwing money at people like this?

I get, uh... $650 a month to fly. And realy, the risk of brane damaje do too hypoxya is sereously obervlown in my oppinyon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

Be a high paid engineer in America's rapidly growing nuclear power sector!

This. Guy I grew up with went to Clemson and became a "Qualified Naval Nuclear Engineer" (his LinkedIn description) JO on the Virginia.

He's working for a conservative think tank at the moment...doing everything *but* making use of all that 'valuable' knowledge.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As much as it sucked being a nuke really opened up my job prospects.

Don’t be a nuke if you already have good job prospects.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Or if you value your sanity.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think most people would sacrifice their sanity to be debt free. Sell your soul to avoid the worst part of capitalism and all that

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I know this is a rather minor thing to complain about but, I was doing my ePHA today and got to the section on sexual health and risk. Really enjoyed that they had increased STI/STD chance for men having sex with men. Guess all us gays are just loving and sucking any swinging dick (don't care about statistics as they didn't bother to even add something as easy as 'for men not in a monogomist relationship')

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
Gonna have to second the "sucks but worth it" reasoning on enlisting as a nuke. I'm checking out on terminal in August, and as lovely as the last 6 years has been, I now am debt free with great credit and years of free college ahead of me.

Only cost me the best years of my life :smith:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Whenever someone asks me about being a nuke to eventually become an engineer, I tell them to do any office-based 4 year enlistment. The easier the better. I tell them to knock out as many general ed requirements at a legit college using TA as they can then use the GI bill to be a traditional college student that's just slightly older.

Doing 6, 8, or 9 years as a nuke where you come out worn down to try to immediately grind through 4 years of engineering school because nothing from the Navy-promoted diploma mills transferred is not worth it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Instead of being a nuke find some job where you have a bunch of idle time to take college courses while you're in. Boom all the benefits and less suicidal ideation

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

McNally posted:

When I was in high school the Navy offered me $30,000 to enlist to be a nuke.

That was in 2001. What's the bonus these days?

of all the folks I knew that signed for that bonus I think one actually made it through the pipeline all told

Guessing like half were ARIs

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

scripterror posted:

as lovely as the last 6 years has been, I now am debt free with great credit and years of free college ahead of me.

Only cost me the best years of my life :smith:
Same but 5 as an LS. Very glad I was swayed from my first inclinations toward the nuke program.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I had a friend in college that got a Nuclear and Radiological Engineering degree and wound up selecting Naval Reactors after we commissioned. It sounded much better than being a regular nuke officer. And possibly more engineering related than a standard nuke. Of course I don’t know actually anything so YMMV.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The idea that there's something just called Naval Reactors is so 50s sci fi name wise

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The one guy I know who went that route seemed happy the last I talked. As an O3, he got to fly around to other commands, be in civvies, and tell O5/6 their poo poo was hosed up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah I'm sure there's ways to eke something good out of the naval nuclear program, they involve already having a nuclear engineering degree from a respectable STEM school, not enlisting or commissioning, and going to be a GS who tells Navy dudes their poo poo is hosed.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

orange juche posted:

Yeah I'm sure there's ways to eke something good out of the naval nuclear program, they involve already having a nuclear engineering degree from a respectable STEM school, not enlisting or commissioning, and going to be a GS who tells Navy dudes their poo poo is hosed.

Hey Chief!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_obeR1OIm8

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Where did you find a video of me teaching a class?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This. Guy I grew up with went to Clemson and became a "Qualified Naval Nuclear Engineer" (his LinkedIn description) JO on the Virginia.

He's working for a conservative think tank at the moment...doing everything *but* making use of all that 'valuable' knowledge.

This actually is a thing in that he has a certification with (more or less) that title on it, but it's "engineer" in the sense of "in charge of the engines," not what any reasonable person outside the Navy actually thinks of when they hear "engineer."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Where did you find a video of me teaching a class?

What you mean? Thats your SEA counseling you.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

CDBs are pretty challenging to complete when you have no professional goals

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

CDBs are pretty challenging to complete when you have no professional goals

Can confirm this.

What do you want to do in the next 4 years in the Navy?
Nothing

Why nothing?

Because I'm getting out

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

orange juche posted:

Can confirm this.

What do you want to do in the next 4 years in the Navy?
Nothing

Why nothing?

Because I'm getting out

If you have a good CCC or Chief then the conversation should shift to post Navy plans and how you can be setup for success.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

These things go fine since I'm an adult, it's just overcoming the initial "Why don't you want to do this forever?" with SNCOs that were raised by the Navy that is annoying

Already gave up my C-Way window so EASY DAY

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Wonder Free posted:

I had a friend in college that got a Nuclear and Radiological Engineering degree and wound up selecting Naval Reactors after we commissioned. It sounded much better than being a regular nuke officer. And possibly more engineering related than a standard nuke. Of course I don’t know actually anything so YMMV.

Yeah...word of warning, this DOES exist, and it's something close to (but not quite?) actual engineering duty officers. It's also very, very difficult to get into and recruiters will actively attempt to deceive people into signing normal nuke officer track contracts while talking about this kind of thing. The results are...not pretty.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Isn’t NR just a regular shore billet for nuke officers?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ron Jeremy posted:

Isn’t NR just a regular shore billet for nuke officers?

While there may be some nukes there on shore duty, most of the people there are Naval Reactors Engineers and are the actual nuclear engineers for the navy. Some of these guys are the nuke interviewers for any officer candidates that have been to NR and interviewed for a spot. They're more like engineering duty officers than they are SWO(N) or SS(N) that are just a shittier flavor of SWO or standard submarine officers.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Its my understanding that NR positions are exraordinarily competitive and at one point had a hard cutoff of 3.8 gpa to apply.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I knew a guy from ROTC who got picked up for NR. 3.98 GPA in ChemE. Smart as gently caress, still managed to melt his whites with an iron as a senior. NR is exactly where those people belong.

SeismicTriangle
Nov 5, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So my sister is apparently considering joining the Navy as a nuclear engineer, does anyone have a link to the thread where it's clearly explained why this is the worst idea imaginable?

Here's a nice collage: https://i.imgur.com/KxBnMJe.png

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Why are my stories the ones you picked :(

Am I broken

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I knew a guy from ROTC who got picked up for NR. 3.98 GPA in ChemE. Smart as gently caress, still managed to melt his whites with an iron as a senior. NR is exactly where those people belong.

I'd venture to say that NR has an enormous amount of clout too, way more than most people realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
To be fair I think NR has more authority per person than any other military organization. An NR O-3 (Dressed in a shirt and tie, because uniforms are for plebs) has pretty much unlimited authority to go up to an O-6/O-7 and tie their ship(s) to a pier and suspend operations. That person of course has to justify this up their chain but until Navsea 08 himself rubber stamps it your ship is stationary. They maintain hat authority by being insane perfectionists and also boogeyman to scare young engineering officers.