Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I went back and played V for a couple of days, and it was really nice to actually see where hills were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This game :allears: I still think the mechanics hold up but it really is a mess sometimes. I just had a declared friend attack an ally and now I am simultaneously at war and not at war with them depending on which part of the UI you ask.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm blessed that I'm not a good enough CIV player to really worry about the lovely AI. All the games are fun little turn-based country builders and the highest difficulty I can reliably beat is King. And sometimes then things get hairy enough that I have to concentrate. I've never really peeled back the mechanics of the game and just kinda worry about what I think sounds neat and useful with regards to buildings and units and tech. That said, I do slightly prefer fully patched V over where VI is now for no other reason than it has a prettier aesthetic and has a nicer interface. But I like Civ VI too!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Since y'all still play V, who would be up for a V goon game

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since y'all still play V, who would be up for a V goon game

PBEM? I would be down for it, Ive played hundreds of hours of Civ 5 but not a single MP game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

chaosapiant posted:

I'm blessed that I'm not a good enough CIV player to really worry about the lovely AI. All the games are fun little turn-based country builders and the highest difficulty I can reliably beat is King. And sometimes then things get hairy enough that I have to concentrate. I've never really peeled back the mechanics of the game and just kinda worry about what I think sounds neat and useful with regards to buildings and units and tech. That said, I do slightly prefer fully patched V over where VI is now for no other reason than it has a prettier aesthetic and has a nicer interface. But I like Civ VI too!

I'm a really bad player. But I can still see that the AI is really bad - a player like me in Civ4/5 used to die quite a bit (or have to restart) at the start because the enemy declared war and I didn't have any army at all.
In Civ6 one archer can hold off every goddamn player in the game and that's what's wrong with it. It's a bit better than it was but it's still bad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would totally be in. US Pacific time, FWIW.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I could do a PBEM, although I am on Euro time.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I don't think I've played a Civ V game in years, but I would be into a PBEM because why not!

I'm also always up for more Goon Civ VI PBEM games, and since the thread hates on the AI so much (i dunno, i don't play single player civ) friendly reminder that Civ VI hotseat multiplayer doesn't have the lovely AI problems! I'm moving in a month so I'm not starting any myself until after that point, but would definitely join another goon game if there was an open spot. I'm up to 21 games right now, is fun.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In case anyone didn't notice, there's a patch for PC/Mac cross-play and explicitly removing Red Shell.

quote:

A new update (ver. 1.0.0.262) is available for Sid Meier’s Civilization VI today. This update will automatically install when starting the Steam client; if it doesn’t install automatically, please restart Steam.

Firaxis Games and 2K are committed to making Civilization VI the best experience possible and will continue to support the title. If you have any feedback on this update or just the game in general, please let us know in the Steam forums or comment below. Stay Civilized!

[MULTIPLAYER]
Added cross-platform multiplayer functionality for PC and Mac
PC users will require ver. 1.0.0.262 (362541)
Mac users will require ver. 1.0.0.262 (164403)
[MISC]
Removed Red Shell

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm down for a Civ5 game, since I can't do any more 6 until I get Rise and Fall. :v:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
What's the cool kids mod de jour for Civ5 these days? I remember playing a few mod pack things back before BE came out, but haven't kept up at all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cynic Jester posted:

What's the cool kids mod de jour for Civ5 these days? I remember playing a few mod pack things back before BE came out, but haven't kept up at all.

Get vox populi: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/community-patch-how-to-install.528034/

So is that six goons up for a V PBEM? That's a good number. It looks like http://multiplayerrobot.com/ is still running so we can use that (i'm a bit short for time at the moment so if anyone else wants to host a game there please go ahead)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 20, 2018

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Well I couldn't resist either so I'm...

:siren:starting another CIV VI PBEM game:siren:

Business as usual, just join and play. I wanted to try something a bit different so this one will be on the Inland Sea map.

JOIN HERE

Password: seagoon

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

markus_cz posted:

Business as usual, just join and play. I wanted to try something a bit different so this one will be on the Inland Sea map.

JOIN HERE

Well, I finally have my poo poo sorted out and I'm a sucker for naval stuff in Civ games, so this seems a good time as any to return PBEMing :pcgaming: (picture a slow, frame by frame version of this frog).

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hogama posted:

In case anyone didn't notice, there's a patch for PC/Mac cross-play and explicitly removing Red Shell.

I had totally missed the "Red Shell" thing. Turns out lots of games had some kind of data gathering "spyware" installed to "evaluate marketing campaigns " for game companies.
Civ VI has been getting reviewed bombed on Steam and this is why Firaxis removed it.

More info here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/8pud8b/psa_red_shell_spyware_holy_potatoes_were_in_space/

Extremely lovely I think, if you want to track how people play the game there are much better ways than collecting stuff from their computer.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

asking for permission, and following the law, is so gauche

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Prav posted:

asking for permission, and following the law, is so gauche

Things can be lovely despite being legal, just a thought.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Ulvino posted:

Well, I finally have my poo poo sorted out and I'm a sucker for naval stuff in Civ games, so this seems a good time as any to return PBEMing :pcgaming: (picture a slow, frame by frame version of this frog).

Oh hey, welcome back, my cutthroat nemesis ;)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Things can be lovely despite being legal, just a thought.

this one managed to be lovely and illegal

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I wish you guys played some multiplayer sessions of CIV5/6

Also, that golden age science bonus with Korea is NUTSSSSSSS

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Civ 5 has PBEM or that was introduced in 6?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Civ 5 has PBEM or that was introduced in 6?

PBEM has always been a thing, but it required manual emailing (Play By Email) the actual save file. PYDT is a client someone wrote to handle all of the manual effort for Civ VI, and GMR is the client someone made for Civ V to handle it.

https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/game/listOpen
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

onesixtwo posted:

PBEM has always been a thing, but it required manual emailing (Play By Email) the actual save file. PYDT is a client someone wrote to handle all of the manual effort for Civ VI, and GMR is the client someone made for Civ V to handle it.

https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/game/listOpen
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game

Great, thanks

So if someone wants to start a Civ 5 PBEM game, Im in

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 20, 2018

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Here's the Civ V game (keep clicking links until one of them works - they're all single-use invites)

http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=cc5941f3-cd3a-429b-ba36-9988da4f0524
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=daa2cfae-d3e5-4e5d-b31f-e7dff9c5b211
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=e9c98e23-d849-4cfc-b58f-69a74a0416e9
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=109d642f-ac43-4c29-8baf-67138fd900df
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=d97cb89e-5566-4947-8ea4-3312252acda9
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=16ea5d1b-7d55-4f12-9b22-3b5189d8fe45
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=b90aac6e-2cc4-4282-b1a7-181abd472368

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Listening to Dan Carlin cover the conquest of Gaul and the rise of Genghis Khan is making me want to play some Civ. Thread opinion is 5 over 6 in its current state?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

e: oops, copy pasting is hard.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, shoot, I wasn't thinking and chose a civilization. Can we still play the game with random civs, or do I need to modify my signup somehow?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Meridian posted:

Listening to Dan Carlin cover the conquest of Gaul and the rise of Genghis Khan is making me want to play some Civ. Thread opinion is 5 over 6 in its current state?

6 with rise and fall expansion is better but has a learning curve. I think people in this thread are so vocal about preferring 5 because shouting into an echo chamber gives them comfort. Its easy to poo poo on Civ 6 from a distance because Civ 5 is dirt cheap and everyone already owns it but as a newer game not everybody can justify the cost of Civ 6 + DLC. I play Civ 6 for the multiplayer, which while deeply flawed, has delivered some of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've ever had. I can't imagine ever going back to 5.

And Civ 2, and 4 are both miles better than 5. Why bother? Its a second rate Civ game.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, shoot, I wasn't thinking and chose a civilization. Can we still play the game with random civs, or do I need to modify my signup somehow?

http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game#26986 should be an option to change civ on the right hand side before the game launches.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It wouldn't let me select Other. If Other was visible and I pressed the "Apply" button, nothing happened. I tried "Leave Game" in the hopes that you can reissue the invite.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Meridian posted:

Play a Paradox game instead.

Five is definitely better than six at the moment.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

markus_cz posted:

JOIN HERE

Sure, never done competitive multiplayer here but I'm sure my Dominions experience will translate over 100%. BRB rushing Tartarian Gate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It wouldn't let me select Other. If Other was visible and I pressed the "Apply" button, nothing happened. I tried "Leave Game" in the hopes that you can reissue the invite.

Yeah I can just keep issuing invites until the game is full basically. Try another one in the list above, there's only been two takers so most should still work

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Midsummer Goon's Game reminder: Japan has multiple nukes and is in the process of murdering the poo poo out of me (Nubia). I recommend people not being murdered now make AA defenses and/or their own nukes and blow them up first before they're targeted too.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Midsummer Goon's Game reminder: Japan has multiple nukes and is in the process of murdering the poo poo out of me (Nubia). I recommend people not being murdered now make AA defenses and/or their own nukes and blow them up first before they're targeted too.

Sounds like fun, shame I’m not in that game. I was only in the other one where it was you nuking me :( Seems like goons love their nukes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Don't get Vox Populi unless you think Egypt's burial tombs getting a bonus from truffles makes sense.

Roland Jones posted:

Maybe if someone hadn't been all stubborn, they wouldn't be getting nuked now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

markus_cz posted:

Sounds like fun, shame I’m not in that game. I was only in the other one where it was you nuking me :( Seems like goons love their nukes.

That was, as before, the first time I actually used nukes in an MP game. Also the first time I had even seen them in one, this being the second. They probably should be used more often if the game reaches the point they're available, though, because they just wreck things.

Byzantine posted:

Maybe if someone hadn't been all stubborn, they wouldn't be getting nuked now.

Blame Alexander for that one, it's not my religion stopping your victory.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I can't go back to V once I played VI. But if you want to, try Vox Populi IMO. On the other hand, QUO for VI has some quality stuff, specially policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Byzantine posted:

Don't get Vox Populi unless you think Egypt's burial tombs getting a bonus from truffles makes sense.

I tried Vox Populi for the first time last week. It's okay, but it does suffer from poo poo like that. Why does every modder have to throw everything into their mods? I did not need another 65 buildings.