Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I might have some kind of anxiety disorder
Yeah. Take vitamin d, omega 3, and probiotic. Go walking everyday and try to say hi to each person you pass by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Housh posted:

Yeah. Take vitamin d, omega 3, and probiotic. Go walking everyday and try to say hi to each person you pass by.

Yeah do the last thing but don't waste money on the first three because there's actually no conclusive evidence they do anything.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

It was correct to criticize GOG and they were correct to apologize for it.

I'm down with this. The article didn't mention the exact date and only alluded to it's significance

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wouldn’t have caught it as a reference either because I am bad at remembering things, but here is what happened on August 28:

quote:

‘Gamers’ don’t have to be your audience. ‘Gamers’ are over. (Leigh Alexander, Gamasutra, Aug 28, 10:00am)
Put The Hate on Hold (Fenriff, Destructoid Blog, Aug 28, 12:09pm)
An awful week to care about video games (Chris Plante, Polygon, Aug 28, 1:21pm)
A Disheartening Account Of The Harassment Going On In Gaming Right Now (And How Adam Baldwin Is Involved) (Victoria McNally, The Mary Sue, Aug 28, 1:30pm)
The death of the “gamers” and the women who “killed” them (Casey Johnson, Ars Technica, Aug 28, 5:00pm)
A Guide to Ending “Gamers” (Devin Wilson, Gamasutra, Aug 28, 7:57 pm)
We Might Be Witnessing The ‘Death of An Identity’ (Luke Plunkett, Kotaku, Aug 28, 8:00pm)
Gaming Is Leaving “Gamers” Behind (Joseph Bernstein, Buzzfeed, Aug 28, 8:29 pm)
Sexism, Misogyny, and online attacks: It’s a horrible time to consider yourself a gamer (Patrick O’Rourke, Financial Post, Aug 28, 9:33pm)
It’s Dangerous to Go Alone: Why Are Gamers So Angry? (Arthur Chu, The Daily Beast, Aug 28, time unknown)
The End of Gamers (Dan Golding, Tumblr, Aug 28, time unknown)

It was a heck of a day.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 19, 2018

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dewgy posted:

Postal 2 is from 2003. To take a reference from that and then believe it’s so sinister that you immediately cut off all news coverage for a games distributor, you’re stretching so much that you should be considered a yoga teacher.

Dogwhistling is an effective strategy in hate movements because of exactly this dumb bullshit you're posting.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 19, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

I’m not up on the Postal 2 Lore, but it’s one hell of a funny coincidence that of all the dates in the world between 2003 and 2018 that they could have possibly put on Games Journalism’s grave, they landed on the date that GG launched.

Truly, we live in wonderous times.

They put out DLC for Postal 2 in 2016ish, it was intentional.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the reference is obviously intentional in the dlc itself but i'm left wondering whether the GOG twitter intern knew that or just grabbed a screenshot of someone pissing on the grave of games journalism because "lol postal 2"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was at a Starbucks and ordered a sandwich. After ten minutes my order hadn't come out and I should have talked to someone but it was the morning rush and I didn't want to go up there when it was so crowded. Forty-five minutes later I still hadn't gone up there and it felt too weird so I just left.

I think I might have some kind of anxiety disorder

So you paid Starbucks for a sandwich and then just left when they didn't uphold their end of the agreement? You walked away poorer and more hungry than you entered, and took a hit to your ego to boot. You're more important that that. You are worth taking up someone's time even if you didn't pay them, and once you give them money it's kind of their job to deliver what you paid for. It is totally possible to calmly and respectfully go back to the counter and mention that it's been longer than normal for your sandwich to come up and that you'd like to make sure it wasn't forgotten. This doesn't ruin anyone's day, like you might be afraid it would. Just be polite and understanding.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Dogwhistling is an effective strategy in hate movements because of exactly this dumb bullshit you're posting.
I still don't understand what dogwhistling means. Then again, I don't understand why we have a nation of misogynists, racists and bigots going largely unchecked so I might just be to out of touch for this new world.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I still don't understand what dogwhistling means. Then again, I don't understand why we have a nation of misogynists, racists and bigots going largely unchecked so I might just be to out of touch for this new world.

its when you say something that sounds normal but means something else to a certain group of people. its like when politicians say "welfare recipients" and what they mean is "black people." their base knows exactly what it means, but we all gotta pretend we don't know what they're talking about

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr Cheeto posted:

lol ok

LawfulWaffle posted:

Dog whistling traditionally means being racist but in a subtle way.

For example: It’s illegal to ban people from your business because of their race. It’s not illegal to have a suspiciously specific dress code that bans do rags, baggy pants, and gold chains.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Serf posted:

its when you say something that sounds normal but means something else to a certain group of people. its like when politicians say "welfare recipients" and what they mean is "black people." their base knows exactly what it means, but we all gotta pretend we don't know what they're talking about
What’s an example of virtue signalling?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

something like saying you're pro-choice but choosing to vote to confirm brett kavanaugh's nomination to the supreme court

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Housh posted:

Mentioning virtue signaling.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah do the last thing but don't waste money on the first three because there's actually no conclusive evidence they do anything.

Pretty sure Vit D is important and also free, thanks to the Sun.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Housh posted:

i find that most things people call virtue signaling actually aren't

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Serf posted:

i find that most things people call virtue signaling actually aren't
Yeah that’s why I’ve had trouble understanding what people mean when they say it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I considered it until I read some testimonials from some guitar goons. The problem with Rocksmith is that it teaches you how to be good at playing Rocksmith, not necessarily how to play the guitar.
you have to back it up with some other kind of guitar instruction to round yourself out, but rocksmith will definitely get you comfortable with the guitar and teach you scales and chords and stuff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

virtue signaling is what you do to get a lap dance from the deaf stripper

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"virtue signaling" is a term invented by people who lack empathy that believe the only reason people might want to treat others with dignity and respect is to make themselves look righteous hth

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like GoG was clearly ignorant of the GamerGate connection. They deleted the tweet and made a sincere apology. That is good enough. GG is absolutely a hate group, one that specifically targets women in the game industry with harassment and violence. Postal 2 really should under no circumstances be given attention. It's a horrible game and it's use of racism and bigotry as satire is gross and not at all funny.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

homeless snail posted:

you have to back it up with some other kind of guitar instruction to round yourself out, but rocksmith will definitely get you comfortable with the guitar and teach you scales and chords and stuff

Interesting. I'll consider it then if it goes on sale. We only recently got our electric anyway. I've been using an acoustic for seven months now instead.

Wish the dongle wasn't so drat expensive though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Virtue signaling is when people claim to support some social cause in a superficial way without actually risking anything, like putting an equal sign in their facebook profile to promote gay marriage or w/e. It's since been co-opted by the alt-right to mean "supporting anything that makes you seem like a good person whatsoever" because they're all trash humans with no morals.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Serf posted:

Yeah, it's this. The message gets across to the people that agree, and in a plausibly deniable way. People on the outside who get it and try to draw attention to it are brushed off as crazy and oversensitive by people who don't get it.

exquisite tea posted:

Virtue signaling is when people claim to support some social cause in a superficial way without actually risking anything, like putting an equal sign in their facebook profile to promote gay marriage or w/e. It's since been co-opted by the alt-right to mean "supporting anything that makes you seem like a good person whatsoever" because they're all trash humans with no morals.

Yeah, it was originally meant for the kind of people who pretend to care about the environment and then just vote for the Tories year-after-year IIRC

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember reading that Leigh Alexander article and getting some poo poo for saying that I largely agreed with it, and four years later here we are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, it's this. The message gets across to the people that agree, and in a plausibly deniable way. People on the outside who get it and try to draw attention to it are brushed off as crazy and oversensitive by people who don't get it.

You have this confused with "dogwhistling," which is a totally different concept.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The thing about Postal 2 is that it's not a dog whistle, it's just openly racist, homophobic, etc. which shouldn't be a surprise, any advertising GOG does about Postal 2 is celebrating a game purposefully filled to the brim with a hodgepodge of hate-group messaging

Serf
May 5, 2011

Housh posted:

Yeah that’s why I’ve had trouble understanding what people mean when they say it.

its being used disingenuously to accuse people who have some shred of empathy of actually just being liars

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Peep the date on the gravestone.

The head of RWS is a transphobe so him being an all around piece of poo poo isn't surprising even if people shout about Postal 2 being satire.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ok. I get it now and can see how it morphed or was co-opted from the act of calling out slacktivism.

Like calling any news that discredits you as fake news

Anytime anyone cares for a cause, it's called out for being a political move or just trying to gain a sense of power to say they are better than you

something to add to the logical fallacy list

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I considered it until I read some testimonials from some guitar goons. The problem with Rocksmith is that it teaches you how to be good at playing Rocksmith, not necessarily how to play the guitar.

It's not good at being the only thing you use to learn but it's very good for practicing songs or scales on. I still use Justin Guitar and such but Rocksmith helps push me to actually practice.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Virtue signaling in general is intended to mean an action that someone is taking to show how virtuous they are, with the implication that there's no substance to it. This can be essentially 'woke performance' from Bernie Bros supporting #metoo on Twitter who then proceed to call Hilary a oval office in their daily conversations, for instance, or the extremely pious posturing of religious conservatives who then continue supporting Trump.

It's often slung by conservatives insisting that all this liberal activism or speech is just for show and doesn't represent any actual movement.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Pretty sure Vit D is important and also free, thanks to the Sun.

Yeah but that would mean going outside, and it's hot out.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

occamsnailfile posted:

Virtue signaling in general is intended to mean an action that someone is taking to show how virtuous they are, with the implication that there's no substance to it. This can be essentially 'woke performance' from Bernie Bros supporting #metoo on Twitter who then proceed to call Hilary a oval office in their daily conversations, for instance, or the extremely pious posturing of religious conservatives who then continue supporting Trump.

It's often slung by conservatives insisting that all this liberal activism or speech is just for show and doesn't represent any actual movement.

Virtue signalling can also mean being a champion for social rights while also being a sex pest, as has been happening recently.

E: unrelated, as a gay kid I loved postal 2 for what it was, a huge middle finger to the morality police of the day, which were the religious right then.

V strip away all the bullshit and yeah, basically. You dont actually care about what you're saying and doing it to benefit you

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 19, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So virtue signalling is just being a hypocrite...

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Before we plebes hosed it up, virtue signalling was a technical term from signalling theory which is a collection of ideas in biology (and later economics) about how organisms (or economic actors) credibly convey information to one another.

I'm not 100% sure how it got associated with slacktivism/alt-right pejoratives, but I suspect it passed through gross evo-psych pseudoscience to get there.

(Originally it had to do with stuff like visibly wearing symbols of your religion or making big donations and holding a ceremony with a giant cheque or whatever.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Housh posted:

So virtue signalling is just being a hypocrite...

Not so much a hypocrite as someone who says he wants all the right things while taking no tangible action or incurring any cost to oneself that would bring those things closer to reality. Basically it's saying you're all talk and no action.

Accusing someone of virtue signaling, though, is done by trolls and assholes, so don't.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

Accusing someone of virtue signaling, though, is done by trolls and assholes, so don't.

Thus there being a shield for anyone who actually is doing it, because the accusation is a verboten thing

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
You can call someone a hypocrite without saying they're virtual signalling, just like you can call someone a sycophant, brown-noser, lickspittle, flatterer, flunky, lackey, trained seal, doormat, or yes-man without calling them a cuck.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Thus there being a shield for anyone who actually is doing it, because the accusation is a verboten thing

It's easier in that case to list the person's specific actions/inactions, "virtue signalling" as a term is just used to dismiss out of hand by people who aren't willing to grapple with the specific logical points raised. Like you can absolutely accuse someone of being a sex pest but doing that and saying they were just being a feminist advocate to hide their sex pestery makes it complicated.

The same kinds of people used to sling the accusation of white-knighting at feminist men with a similar implication, though that seems to have fallen in favor of "cucks" to deride any man with sympathy for a woman's viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The derail with all the ps1 screenshots was a lot better

• Locked thread