Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Statistically, two traps are even straighter than normal people because there are more tits.

Please do not use this. It is a slur. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

VideoGames posted:

Please do not use this. It is a slur. Thank you.

thank you

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
The Warrior changes make me want to re-roll a musa, but putting more time into this game also makes me want to re-roll in real life permanently.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I wouldn't really make any reroll decisions at this point until they settle down with their balance patches that basically consist of throwing poo poo at a wall and not even looking to see what sticks.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Does anyone have an idea why my lahn would get basically one shot by the world bosses, where my maehwa, who actually has slightly worse defensive stats, can survive just fine? I guess I haven't done an apples to apples comparison, I tried fighting Kutum and Karanda on my lahn, and just fight Kzarka on my maehwa. Is Kzarka way weaker than the other bosses or something?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah kzarka isn't that tough. An important thing to look at is your damage reduction and total renown score because higher rs gives you percentage damage reduction.

J
Jun 10, 2001

nogic posted:

Does anyone have an idea why my lahn would get basically one shot by the world bosses, where my maehwa, who actually has slightly worse defensive stats, can survive just fine? I guess I haven't done an apples to apples comparison, I tried fighting Kutum and Karanda on my lahn, and just fight Kzarka on my maehwa. Is Kzarka way weaker than the other bosses or something?

I haven't been to world bosses in a while but did they add the red indicators on the ground for their moves that you have to avoid? I know they added it for kzarka but I'm wondering if they did for the others. Like karanda for example has 2 different spike rain moves that will stun and kill most people after jumping into the air. If she squats on the ground before going into the air, it will hit close range around her. If she just flies straight in the air without touching the ground, it will hit in a more distant circle meaning you have to get up close to avoid it. She also has this single target ranged attack and sometimes you'll get popped by it if you get aggro, but I'm not sure if there is any tell on that one. I think kutum has some similar 1 shot mechanics that have to be avoided but I haven't been to kutum in forever. Meanwhile kzarka's big breath attack everyone naturally avoids by being behind him all the time, and the melee attack he might clip you with when he turns around isn't strong. So yeah kzarka is weaker but the others have some mechanics that you might not be dodging.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
OK, I did Karanda on my maehwa, and it seems that her basic attacks just do quite a lot of damage. It's really important to stay behind her, which is generally easier than Kzarka, who basically spins like a top constantly (although he does way less damage if he catches you). I'm sure it's the same with the other bosses I tried, so it'll just mean that I need to be more observant while fighting them.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I get chunked for 1500-2000 by karandas basic attacks when in my cooking clothes

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Thoughts now that the game is P2W?

I like the game, but I have to admit that this deflates my enthusiasm regarding any combat-based progression.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What specifically happened to aparently make the game objectively P2W now (even though people claimed it was P2W for years now)?

I see on reddit that everyone is whining and quitting over this but i can't seem to figure out specifically what happened. I am just curious, as i have not played BDO for around 6 months.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can now melt cash shop costumes into one time consumables that allow you to play the upgrade RNG trap more frequently than if you played the game normally.

If you're trying to keep up with with a wallet warrior you won't because they'll use special attack: credit cardo but if you weren't trying in the first place then you probably don't care and find the drama funny.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I am still entertained by this game

J
Jun 10, 2001

stump collector posted:

I am still entertained by this game

Me too.

Ineptitude posted:

What specifically happened to aparently make the game objectively P2W now (even though people claimed it was P2W for years now)?

I see on reddit that everyone is whining and quitting over this but i can't seem to figure out specifically what happened. I am just curious, as i have not played BDO for around 6 months.

You can now melt down costumes off the cash shop and turn them into cron stones, which are the thing that prevents your gear from downranking when you fail an enhancement attempt. 1 costume gives 219 cron stones. To attempt a pen boss item, depending on which one you need 1000-1250ish cron stones per attempt. So something like $150-$200 per pen attempt. And the chance of success on pen is horrible to begin with. Nobody knows the exact percentages but failing 10+ times is to be expected, and plenty of people have failed pen far far more times than that. Cron stoning lower than pen takes a lot less stones, but you don't generate fail stacks when you fail a cron stoned attempt, so you're actually shooting yourself in the foot in the long run if you do that since you won't ever build any pen stacks.

I think a good chunk of the whining on reddit at this point is circlejerking shitposters who haven't played the game in forever and are trying to drum up easy internet points. Artisan's memories are more P2W than this, if those didn't make someone quit I'm not sure why this would.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

J posted:

Artisan's memories are more P2W than this, if those didn't make someone quit I'm not sure why this would.
Actually curious on the numbers for this. Napkin math ahead, numbers may be inaccurate since I have no idea of the real values (aka not the fake market prices) of this stuff as a TRI scrub that has spent $0 past buyin with no boss items that shows up every few months for a week or so of random gameplay

Artisan = 3 memory frag saved = 2.25 million
Priced @ $0.50 per artisan = 4.5 million / $
This ignores that memory fragments are worth more than their 750k ingame market price.

Cron stone = 1 million ingame cost
Priced @ 219 for $32 = $0.15 per cron stone = 6.66 million / $
This ignore the fact that I don't think anyone actually buys cron stones for their ingame cost. Instead if considering the resources saved by crons instead...
TET market value varies by boss gear, but let's take 1500 million, and a TRI value of 500 million, meaning a TET->PEN attempt has a cost of (TET - TRI) * failure rate, so assuming 0.9
~900 million saved
Cron protecting this costs ~1200 stones = $180 = 5 million / $

So broadly comparable if looking at most boss gear. Also this is why cron stones are inefficient if bought for their ingame cost (1.2 billion to save 0.9 billion) for most things.

Accessories look to be a different story however.
Let's take TET ogre ring at 10 billion, TET->PEN thus costs 9 billion. With crons, apparently there is only partial protection, with a 50% chance at downgrade (instead of destruction). gently caress the math let's just say a cost of 5 billion.
Cron protection on this is ~3000 stones = $450 = 11 million / $

Double the amount.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 31, 2018

stump collector
May 28, 2007
My new alt is named CronPearlman so I'm fully qualified to say that there are several use cases for lighting your money on fire optimally

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Also I got Tet on around five or fewer attempts on all but my last item which took over 25 attempts so your math is pretty close. Some of these Reddit dickheads are claiming that pen is a 20 percent chance but I'm pretty sure a closer guess is 5 percent.

Making the math more confusing, there's some value in failing cron pen attempts in our version because I believe you get a caphras level every three tries which can be worth it to bust into the next AP bonus

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

J posted:

Artisan's memories are more P2W than this, if those didn't make someone quit I'm not sure why this would.

Short answer:
Artisans only let you buy roughly a 30% advantage over someone not using them (depending on mem fragments market). They are limited by the silver and resource cost of hards, sharps, and armor stones, and the time required to use them. You can now cron 100b silver worth of PEN attempts in a night if you want.

Long answer:
Going from TRI->TET for a full set of weapons/armor on average over 1 million trials with a very good failstacking strategy will cost (given the best information available) about 1.2b in non-preorder market prices worth of silver and materials per piece, and artisans can save you 120m of that 1.2b per TET. It was hard for even the biggest whales (people who were paying russians to grind on their characters when they were at work or playing 18 hours every day) to generate more than a PEN attempt or two a week given the realities of obtaining the silver, hard/sharps, fragments and armor stones required. This bypasses all the game systems that were preventing them from just buying unlimited artisans and enchanting until they got PEN. The biggest whales I knew all considered the double drop rate buff from the 90 day value pack to be far more P2W than artisans because ingame silver was always the limiting factor for them. This lets you buy unlimited amounts of silver.

This lets you just swipe for any number of PEN spins and shortcut:
Buying or running scrolls for memory fragments
Buying or gathering hards/sharps
Obtaining thousands of armor/weapon stones
Getting a backup TET of whatever you're trying to PEN
Hours to days of failstacking and swapping characters to get TET back after a failed PEN attempt

Or generating silver required to 'legit' cron something or preorder/snipe TETs to fail and sell the TRIs.

@lurksion: That's an admirable effort, but the real point is that you can create the billions of silver needed for each of these cron attempts by swiping your card, and artisans tie into a bunch of other ingame systems that somewhat limited their impact because you need about 10x their value in ingame materials/silver to use those artisans.

Game's still amazing if you don't want to compete in PvP.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
lol pearl abyss bought eve online

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

nogic posted:

lol pearl abyss bought eve online

Can't wait til Battleships get jiggle physics

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Devor posted:

Can't wait til Battleships get jiggle physics

I downloaded BDO in order to see jiggle physics. I think I may be switching to BDO from eve online. Any suggestions for a new valk?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is it still region-locked?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

how are the lovely goons who play eve reacting to this

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Minclark posted:

I downloaded BDO in order to see jiggle physics. I think I may be switching to BDO from eve online. Any suggestions for a new valk?

Play mystic is the best suggestion I can provide for that class at the moment. Other than witch, wizard, striker, and mystic, it seems that most classes are bad for pvp and pve and/or extremely gear/level/skill points dependent.

Valkyrie has a cool kit so I'd just try to pick up as much of the question free gear as you can and enjoy the game without worrying about being competitive

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Testing the waters in case there's any interest in another Island exploration event.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drythe posted:

Seems like tired resignation mostly. News breaks on this page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866278&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

stump collector posted:

Play mystic is the best suggestion I can provide for that class at the moment. Other than witch, wizard, striker, and mystic, it seems that most classes are bad for pvp and pve and/or extremely gear/level/skill points dependent.

Valkyrie has a cool kit so I'd just try to pick up as much of the question free gear as you can and enjoy the game without worrying about being competitive

Created a mystic to try it out... her aoe is as strong as the ninja single target burst. At this low level anyway...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mystic is great.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Drythe posted:

Just speculating on what p2w stuff they might add. Reddits/OF are freaking out way more. And mixing up its Koreas.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I'd be super down for island exploration, I'm free most weekends. Shadepearl in game family name

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Played BDO a lot about 2 years ago, got back into it like a day ago to check out "remastered". Frankly I find it hard to care about P2W when the end-game is 1000 hours away and I have no intention of being competitive.

Back in the day I got up to pro 5 in fishing. I checked the OP and saw this: "golden stationary fishing hotspots are gone".

Does that mean the sweet fishing areas that never caught junk don't work like that anymore? I went back to my old hangout and I've already caught two ancient relics in a couple minutes, so it still seems pretty decent.

edit: between this thread and BDO chat, why have I seen the word "trap" more in the last 2 days than the rest of my combined lifetime?

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 14, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chewbot posted:

Played BDO a lot about 2 years ago, got back into it like a day ago to check out "remastered". Frankly I find it hard to care about P2W when the end-game is 1000 hours away and I have no intention of being competitive.

Back in the day I got up to pro 5 in fishing. I checked the OP and saw this: "golden stationary fishing hotspots are gone".

Does that mean the sweet fishing areas that never caught junk don't work like that anymore? I went back to my old hangout and I've already caught two ancient relics in a couple minutes, so it still seems pretty decent.

edit: between this thread and BDO chat, why have I seen the word "trap" more in the last 2 days than the rest of my combined lifetime?
There's only one static 'golden hotspot' now and it's in velia. I don't know if anyone still fishes there but if they do it's easy to spot since there will be a crowd

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
The problem is that hotspot is eclipsed by Grana fishing which is better than Velia.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
You can check a box so that you don't collect trash anywhere you decide to fish. Velia is 2nd to grana. It's much less worth doing grana fishing if you don't have a lot of cp to connect the nodes at least to altinova

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
How feasible is this 7-day challenge thing? Getting to level 56 in 7 days for someone who hasn't played before? (Or in my case, played for like an hour before something came up).

The idea of getting the game for free and coming back to it later is appealing but if it would take serious poopsocking I'm not actually going to try. Minor poopsocking, I'd try at least.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Comic posted:

How feasible is this 7-day challenge thing? Getting to level 56 in 7 days for someone who hasn't played before? (Or in my case, played for like an hour before something came up).

The idea of getting the game for free and coming back to it later is appealing but if it would take serious poopsocking I'm not actually going to try. Minor poopsocking, I'd try at least.

Poopsocking will be required

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
It's actually super easy to get to level 56 now. Just find a guide that shows you the grind spots and move through them. Ignore the story quests for now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it took like 2 hours to get to 56 a few months ago if you knew the route

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
You could hit 58 even in just a couple of days, if you don't mind putting in the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Uhhh...guys, he's a brand new account and new player.

Doing 56 in a few hours is feasible if you already have resources. An established player can simply drop 40 to 200 million gold for a +15 to TRI green primary & offhand (alternately - use quest gear obtained from a prior character) and moves their armor and accessories worth several hundred million over to the new character, get on a high tier horse, and run an optimal leveling route leveling every minute or so, reaching level 50 in less than an hour. Another 3 hours to get to 56 on foot in Mediah, though if you invest more heavily in gear (or have gear worth in the billions) that can go faster.

A brand new account does not have those resources. They will need to actually spend time doing random rear end kill quests in the ends of nowhere to get the quest gear, or to shove blackstones one by one into green gear to upgrade it. True, they do get daily login rewards and crap that adds up to 200-300 million over the course of a month, but that is backloaded, and he wants to do this in 7 days, so no waiting for the bailout economy. And also with zero familiarity with the skills and item systems.

I don't think it's super poopsocky just because it is admittedly easy, but it's not an afternoon's work for a new player. I'll guess at maybe 10-15 hours?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 5, 2018