Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Stuff to help me fix my truck, fiance's car, my moped, bicycles, etc...:

High-range torque wrench. I've got one that can get to about 80 ft-lbs, but I need one that can go higher to do things like put wheels back on to the right torque, among other things.

Socket set. I've got a small set of sockets, but I've found I need things like deeper sockets, a universal joint, etc... plus this covers a wider range than the small set I've got.

And an item that was a good deal on Prime Day:

Cordless leaf blower.

I actually don't have a big use for a blower, but I DO have Makita cordless tools already and almost bought a set of 5 Ah batteries the other week for almost $200 (my cordless circular saw eats through the tiny 2 Ah battteries I have in no time).

This was $212, and I got the two batteries, AND dual charger, AND the blower. If I can sell the blower for even like $50, I come out ahead compared to if I just bought the batteries by themselves. And if I can't sell it, well then at least I can make my driveway and walkways look nice after I mow.

I'm also planning to buy a new cordless weed trimmer, so now I can get a Makita one that's just the bare tool without a battery to "save" money there.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cordless leaf blower.

I actually don't have a big use for a blower, but I DO have Makita cordless tools already and almost bought a set of 5 Ah batteries the other week for almost $200 (my cordless circular saw eats through the tiny 2 Ah battteries I have in no time).

This was $212, and I got the two batteries, AND dual charger, AND the blower. If I can sell the blower for even like $50, I come out ahead compared to if I just bought the batteries by themselves. And if I can't sell it, well then at least I can make my driveway and walkways look nice after I mow.

I'm also planning to buy a new cordless weed trimmer, so now I can get a Makita one that's just the bare tool without a battery to "save" money there.

Nice deal. You'll find plenty of use for the blower, it's a good tool to have around.

I recently did a similar thing with Dewalt tools, my old craftsman tools are near the end of life so I jumped on the Dewalt flexvolt stuff. I bought a 60v chainsaw and blower. Runnings had a deal where you buy two bare tools and get two of the nice 20v XR batteries for free (like $200 for the set). On prime day Amazon had the 20v trimmer on sale for $25 off so I bought that and I can use any of my 60v or 20v batteries for it. It's nice having multiple tools that use the same batteries.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cordless leaf blower.

Don't you love once you've chosen a cordless tool family and just get sucked in to buying a ton of them? I'm like 11 tools deep into the Milwaukeee M18 tools. Just went loco on my lovely overgrown weed bushes with a new hedge trimmer last week, with absolutely no plan on how to get all the yard waste removed.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
cant deal with the level of double entendre on this page

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

davebo posted:

Don't you love once you've chosen a cordless tool family and just get sucked in to buying a ton of them? I'm like 11 tools deep into the Milwaukeee M18 tools. Just went loco on my lovely overgrown weed bushes with a new hedge trimmer last week, with absolutely no plan on how to get all the yard waste removed.

Same, but Ryobi.

My 40v hedge trimmer annihilates everything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Stuff to help me fix my truck, fiance's car, my moped, bicycles, etc...:

High-range torque wrench. I've got one that can get to about 80 ft-lbs, but I need one that can go higher to do things like put wheels back on to the right torque, among other things.

Socket set. I've got a small set of sockets, but I've found I need things like deeper sockets, a universal joint, etc... plus this covers a wider range than the small set I've got.

Cordless leaf blower.

Use the leafblower to dry your car after washing

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TraderStav posted:

:rock::cheers::rock:

Content: Bought (rented) a camp site at a Michigan state park fifteen yards from a gorgeous sandy beach for the next two weeks.

Where? Bear Dunes?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Aramek posted:

Same, but Ryobi.

Everything?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Use the leafblower to dry your car after washing

i guess i should post some content

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hell yeah! Someone's gonna be eating some apple crisp this fall!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Dick Trauma posted:

Everything?

I wouldn't get your dick anywhere near it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

1redflag posted:

Where? Bear Dunes?

Lake Charlevoix, Young state park.

Michigan owns

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Aramek posted:

Same, but Ryobi.

I was looking at the 80v version of the trimmer (so the batteries are interchangeable) that matches with my mower, was thinking that thing would have to be a beast assuming voltage makes a difference on power.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Went to Target to pick up some paper towels.

Decided hey I should get a few rounds of toothpaste while I’m here and some deodorant, shampoo, razors, etc.

120 dollars later I got home and remembered that I changed where I keep my paper towels.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I bought two fifths of Old Grand Dad Bonded 100:

A friend has recommended it for years, and I only just came across it today while running some errands. For $23, it's definitely the best deal in bourbon I've encountered.

I also bought a fat bundle of cigars because I'm going to Infrasound in Wisconsin with some friends for my buddy's bachelor party. It's not really my scene musically, so I'm going to enjoy the company, read some books, and dig the fact that I'm camping!

Closest thing I've had to a vacation in a long time, so I'm very excited.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

A friend has recommended it for years, and I only just came across it today while running some errands. For $23, it's definitely the best deal in bourbon I've encountered.

I also bought a fat bundle of cigars because I'm going to Infrasound in Wisconsin with some friends for my buddy's bachelor party. It's not really my scene musically, so I'm going to enjoy the company, read some books, and dig the fact that I'm camping!

I'll try it next time I go bourbon shopping (which should be soon since I'm out of whiskey completely). I had the last of the 80 proof today and I could smell some additional cinnamon on the nose.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Lake Charlevoix, Young state park.

Michigan owns

Nice! Yes, yes it does. So much great camping in Michigan, especially in the UP.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

You can usually find Elijah Craig Small Batch for around $30. Or WL Weller for around the same as Grand Dad, but that may be harder to find. Grand Dad isn't bad though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'll check those out! Budget bourbon is a very fun place to shop around in.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just booked a flight and hotel for 6 days for me and my husband to fly out for a buddy's wedding in Denver in a few weeks. I live in Ohio and I've never been to that part of the country before, so I'm pretty excited.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Solid Cake posted:

Just booked a flight and hotel for 6 days for me and my husband to fly out for a buddy's wedding in Denver in a few weeks. I live in Ohio and I've never been to that part of the country before, so I'm pretty excited.

It's really pretty if you can get out of the city. Highly recommend going to Pike's peak if you have access to a car and are willing to drive a four hour round trip.

E. On the brewery note, Great Divide Brewing in Denver is small for how big of a distribution it has, but they have a lot of fun one-off brews you can't get in bombers, etc.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Jul 19, 2018

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

davebo posted:

I almost bought a Festool drill a while back until I considered the possibility that I'd lock myself into a system where everything costs some insane amount. I went with Dewalt 20v and haven't been let down yet. Really think I want one of those deep cut band saws next.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Solid Cake posted:

I went to downtown Denver in March for my brother-in-law's wedding. If you're downtown and your spouse has to be with a wedding party for most of the day and you want to walk to a brewery to just get drunk before the wedding even starts, I can recommend Jagged Mountain Brewery at 20th and Lawrence. I feel like anytime I go to a new city I just pop in the goon thread for that city and ask what the good breweries are, and it works.

What I bought which should arrive today is a $1,000 (and that's open box, without the $300 Kodak software) photo scanner for work because the old one we've had for ten years became unusable right as the boss went on vacation and I need to make progress on this project but couldn't get approval for the expenditure yet. So until I'm reimbursed for it I'm gonna also be scanning all my parents' photo albums I just picked up since they're moving at the end of the month.

I actually scanned a couple of their albums years back and highly recommend it. Photo albums take up a bunch of space and you so rarely look at them. Get that stuff scanned, organized and dump it onto your cell phone and you revisit them a lot more often.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer portable tracking mount

Rokinon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

1redflag posted:

It's really pretty if you can get out of the city. Highly recommend going to Pike's peak if you have access to a car and are willing to drive a four hour round trip.

E. On the brewery note, Great Divide Brewing in Denver is small for how big of a distribution it has, but they have a lot of fun one-off brews you can't get in bombers, etc.

Falling Rock Tap House is also great. Or it was 6 years ago when I lived there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cordless leaf blower.

drat! One of my coworkers was just talking about this same blower to me the other day, I completely missed that on Prime day... thankfully fleabay had the bare tool for 76$, which I just snagged.

Really hoping the seller with zero ratings is just a newbie who picked up the deal and didn't need the blower, and not another loving ebay scam

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Really hoping the seller with zero ratings is just a newbie who picked up the deal and didn't need the blower, and not another loving ebay scam

I accidentally bought from someone with 0 feedback, tried to cancel, they wouldn't. Product was $20 (normally $50, they were selling it for $30) cheaper than I could find it anywhere else . They were a Chinese seller, but I ended up getting it, dropped shipped from a place in the US, with a receipt inside that was for $45. I think I unwittingly helped someone use a stolen cc to launder some money :(

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

This printed on an oatmeal-heather tanktop after I asked the artist about custom jobs.

Shirt came in and fits great. if you like horror pop culture I highly recommend this artist. Dude was insanely chill about requests and was prompt and helpful.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

All ready for Shark Week:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Shirt came in and fits great. if you like horror pop culture I highly recommend this artist. Dude was insanely chill about requests and was prompt and helpful.

Thanks for sharing that shop! Reminds me of London1888 but (hopefully) not run by a scammy rear end in a top hat.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh. My. God.

:sparkles:

Those are possibly some of the coolest shoes I’ve ever seen. Where did you get them?!

Fake edit for content: Bought some 4TB Western Digital Red HDDs for a Proxmox VE server I’m building.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Sharon Needles, is that you?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pondex posted:

Sharon Needles, is that you?

That's such a good drag name. The first time I heard it I was floored.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LadyPictureShow posted:

If these existed in dude boot form it’d be a no brainer.

I’m jealous you get to enjoy those awesome shark shoes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

VanguardFelix posted:

Oh. My. God.

:sparkles:

Those are possibly some of the coolest shoes I’ve ever seen. Where did you get them?!

Fake edit for content: Bought some 4TB Western Digital Red HDDs for a Proxmox VE server I’m building.

The brand is Irregular Choice. They make all kinds of crazy footwear. I got them off of:
https://www.unique-vintage.com/products/bite-me?variant=1479952433196&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj56t4Luw3AIVg5OzCh18ewLREAQYAyABEgJodfD_BwE

I can finally live my dream of going as ‘Sexy Quint from Jaws’ this Halloween!

LadyPictureShow has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Jul 21, 2018

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

The brand is Irregular Choice. They make all kinds of crazy footwear. I got them off of:
https://www.unique-vintage.com/products/bite-me?variant=1479952433196&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj56t4Luw3AIVg5OzCh18ewLREAQYAyABEgJodfD_BwE

I can finally live my dream of going as ‘Sexy Quint from Jaws’ this Halloween!

If that doesn’t work your backup could always be ‘Sexy Right Shark’

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Bought a new washer and dryer set since I am a homeowner now and the 14 year old washer and 24 year old dryer were making some strange noises. Figured it's better to just grab a new set than potentially go down an endless rabbit hole of fixing things on them

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Bought a new washer and dryer set since I am a homeowner now and the 14 year old washer and 24 year old dryer were making some strange noises. Figured it's better to just grab a new set than potentially go down an endless rabbit hole of fixing things on them

I just got a new washer, dryer, and fridge installed and it's like night and loving day. The new washer and dryer are so quiet you can barely hear them running from the other room (and they're the first matching set we've ever had) and the fridge is huge and puts everything at eye level except the gigantic freezer drawer. Modern fridges like that are great for disabled people who can't bend over.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Huh, we got mom a side-by-side fridge since she was in a wheelchair. It was easier for her to get stuff from the freezer that way. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Good idea, will probably save you from a fun washer flooding.