Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sounds like a great time to quit posting about Zak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jedit posted:

Overturn: Rising Sands is a 1-6 player coop game in the spirit of Massive Darkness. Because it is Massive Darkness. The designers were asked to provide an alpha rulebook and when they did, they were caught plagiarising CMON's game.

They also did a straight C&P from Mythic Games for their profile, and while they claim to be a Canadian company they're actually from Pakistan. If you know anyone who's backing this, tell them to get their money out.

There's a whole article about it now. http://atgn.com.au/overturn-rising-sands-kickstarter-caught-plagiarising-still-track-funded/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They're down another C$33k since that article came out, but still funded. This is good, but it's been noticed that while the totals were going down, the average per backer was going up. Obviously that's going to include the odd "fire and forget" whale, but at this point it seems very likely that they're backing their own project to a sufficiently high level for it to fund unless everyone pulls out.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I love how Kickstarter's just apparently blithely ignored all the reports that have been coming in about it. There's a screenshot from a FB comment by the CMON CEO Chern Ann Ng (no idea if it's real) wherein he says that he's submitted a DMCA takedown notice, doubtless dozens/hundreds of individual reports have been sent their way too... but it's still up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Got my Mekton refund, so I am putting that money back into other Kickstarters for RPGs. Pretty good of them, honestly.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Happy Trogday.

James Ernest is doing the design for Trogdor!!, and I'm always on the lookout for two-player co-op games. Looks good to me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Someone really upped the ante on Deadzone compatible Battlezones-like terrain, extending the 3" cube idea into a fully modular frame system that is magnetised in the factory, the originals from Mantic being better suited to one time build and gluing larger subassemblies. Works for other scifi games too, obviously, but the 3" cube is a Deadzone specific measurement even if they don't mention a single Mantic product on the page.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

DNA Cowboys posted:

Happy Trogday.

James Ernest is doing the design for Trogdor!!, and I'm always on the lookout for two-player co-op games. Looks good to me.

I am in awe of the Consummate edition. I knew there was going to be a deluxe option, but I did not expect it to be as expensive as a down payment on a new car.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I gotta admit, as meeples go, those are some good-looking meeples.

E: like I think they look better than the models.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 18, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I want to know what Strong Bad would have to say about dropping 2k on a box for a board game of a long defunct internet cartoon.

Tempted to back just for the meeples though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those meeples look amazing, I just wish Trogdor had v scales instead of u ones.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Did they seriously gently caress up the consummate Vs, this is terrible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They look pretty curved to me. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DNA Cowboys posted:

Happy Trogday.

Okay. Fine. Backed.

I like the look of the meeples way more than the look of the plastic bits, which is fortunate.

I can't believe they have 9 backers at the almost-$2,000-level, but hey, if I had a few million I might spend it in dumb ways like this, too.

moths posted:

They say about 80 times that the designs are not final, so there is still time!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

moths posted:

To be fair, I went back and watched the original video and the scales are all a little u-like, and the script seems to be that the consummate V's are for the "teeth, spine-ities, and angry eye brows".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Merauder posted:

To be fair, I went back and watched the original video and the scales are all a little u-like, and the script seems to be that the consummate V's are for the "teeth, spine-ities, and angry eye brows".
That makes me feel much better. The meeples are so charming and lovingly-designed they couldn't have been wrong.

I'm sorry for doubting Trogdor.

still not backing though however cute it all is

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
You know, it's been long enough since I last heard a Trogdor reference that it's refreshing and funny again. Backed. I can't wait until Portal references have laid low for long enough that they're funny again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh, and while everyone who backed it doubtlessly knows already, Panic At the Dojo dropped last night, the full pdf went out to backers and it's currently in print proofing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Tangentially related to TG kickstarters, Amazon has ordered 8 episodes of a Tales from the Loop series.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/tales-from-the-loop-amazon-studios-orders-genre-series-based-simon-stalenhag-art-1202427982/amp/

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kai Tave posted:

Oh, and while everyone who backed it doubtlessly knows already, Panic At the Dojo dropped last night, the full pdf went out to backers and it's currently in print proofing.

Yeah! Got this email last night and I'm excited to download the file tonight once the kids are in bed.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Kickstarter pulled Overturn at the last minute, so that's good at least.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Reading through the new Over the Edge, I like the new mechanics for it, but I was disappointed with the setting info. I may just be too mired in nostalgia for the beautiful 90s mess that was OTE1e, but this edition seems to lack a great deal of the gonzo lunacy of the old one. I thought the examples of play were very well done, but all the staples of the setting kind of seem...pale in their new iterations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really wasn't thrilled with the changes they described in the kickstarter pitch.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Reign 2e kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/halmangold/greg-stolzes-reign-second-edition

Mainly this is a polish and reorganization of Reign plus all the expansions Greg released over the years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

inklesspen posted:

Reign 2e kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/halmangold/greg-stolzes-reign-second-edition

Mainly this is a polish and reorganization of Reign plus all the expansions Greg released over the years.

I’m in, but frowning at copy editing errors in 3 of the first 4 paragraphs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Oh boy, this is a really bad time for my wallet, between Yakuza 0/Monster Hunter World both being out within the next 4 weeks and the new BattleCON Kickstarter happening at some point before the end of August. :rip:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 19, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Kickstarter pulled Overturn at the last minute, so that's good at least.

It's pretty fuckin wild that this only got stopped at the last minute when there were enough red flags being raised for a dozen suspicious projects. A company claiming to be Canadian but actually originating in an entirely different country promises a lavish minis-packed gamestravaganza for a too-low amount of funding, then it turns out that pretty much every bit of their rules have been plagiarized, as well as most parts of their Kickstarter ad copy right down to the About Us and Risks & Challenges, and to top it all off the company logo is even a hastily photoshopped chop job over the Firefox logo. It's a good thing someone at Kickstarter didn't wait any longer to pull the lever than they did or a bunch of people would be out over a hundred grand.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL at the desperate effort at damage control once it was pointed out that their rulebook would have been more impressive if it was just a 40 page PDF of "lorem ipsum" text

quote:

Dear Backers:

During the last few days the campaign took a drastic turn after some of our backers pointed out that the rule-book we had shared was plagiarized from Massive Darkness.

Some harsh words have been said about our integrity and authenticity of this project and we would like to share our side of the story and then leave the matter in your hand.

Most backers may have realized that not being native speakers, we showed certain language related issues in the game as well as the campaign. Typos, grammatical and syntax errors were constantly pointed out which we admit were made by us.

The game when it was conceived by Humayun had detailed rules but they were written in textual form in the language Humayun is comfortable with. They were detailed, step by step and at points rather complex. We admit that when we had prepared the campaign, a coherent rulebook should have been prepared alongside the content of the campaign and we paid the price for that. When the campaign initiated we tried to create the content asked by our backers along the way since everything was ready but when the majority clamored for the rule-book we realized our folly.

We had to deliver the backers a rule-book so that they could believe that game is not just a pretty diorama but playable. Humayun resorted to the free-lancer who had drafted the content of the campaign to turn our textual rulebook into something coherent. We knew that we were sharing a very small part of the rule-book so released it as an alpha version to pacify our eager backers and boy did it back fired. When analogies were drawn, we were shocked as well and freaked out.

We apologize to all our dear backers who had such high hopes and interests vested in our project. However our inability to handle this disaster complicated this issue further. We also apologize for anything harsh that we may have said to our backers who were only looking out for this close knit community and just wanted what was best for all the backers. We apologize that we released the alpha-version without quality testing it and leaving a lot of our dedicated backers in dark without coming up with a formal statement from our own side.

Our actions have painted us in a negative light and we understand the consequences of the course we followed in the wake of this scandal but we assure and promise our backers that THIS IS NOT THE RULEBOOK THEY WILL BE GETTING WITH THE GAME. WE WILL NOT BE USING THIS BOOK AT ALL.

We apologize once again for this huge blunder on our part and own it.

Last but not the least, we would want to thank a lot of backers who showed faith in us and encouraged us not to give up. Their faith in us has served as a beacon for us during these dark days and we can’t thank them enough.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

inklesspen posted:

The thing that is really bugging me is charging extra for electronic versions of the books if you're getting the physical version. I mean, I'm probably gonna go for the fancy books, which renders it moot for me. But it feels penny-pinching in this day and age.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FMguru posted:

LOL at the desperate effort at damage control once it was pointed out that their rulebook would have been more impressive if it was just a 40 page PDF of "lorem ipsum" text

I like how they go with 'this was only an alpha rulebook' as if it wasn't blatantly and openly plagarized and try to shift blame to a freelancer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

Did they really try 'we plagiarized because we don't English so good?'

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am so confused here.....
1. The rulebook was in a foreign language.
2. We paid someone to translate it.
3. ?????
4. We put up a rulebook that was completely plagirazed.

So, uh, what happened? Even if the freelancer plagirized another work and did no translation, the company does not have a single English speaking person to review the work? Either they are incompetent or immoral. Or both.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did it ever occur to you that the translation was the same as the other game by pure coincidence?

Pierre Menard, author of Massive Darkness

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am so confused here.....
1. The rulebook was in a foreign language.
2. We paid someone to translate it.
3. ?????
4. We put up a rulebook that was completely plagirazed.

So, uh, what happened? Even if the freelancer plagirized another work and did no translation, the company does not have a single English speaking person to review the work? Either they are incompetent or immoral. Or both.

Note that the update is written in perfectly cromulent English.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Regarding Reign 2e, this is something that I really appreciate:

quote:

In addition to general cleanup, Greg has strived to modularize the rule and make it easier to get exactly the game you want. In this edition, we say “If your group wants highly detailed tactical combat with loads of options, use Options A and B. If they just want it to be one element amongst skullduggery and political intrigue and low comedy, just use C.” You can pick what the rules magnify to make the rules right for your group’s adventures. This applies to chase, intrigue and other rules systems as well.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
On Reign: I also wish that the pdfs didn't cost extra. It feels pretty weird in 2018.

Personally I've been waiting for this one. I ran one of my very favorite campaigns using the One Roll Engine that powers Reign. It takes a session or so for people to get used to the matching dice, but then it's really fluid. I really couldn't go back to the storyteller system White Wolf uses after playing some ORE games.

The system I used for the campaign was actually Monsters and Other Childish Things, but since it was a Team Rocket (from Pokemon) themed campaign, I eventually folded in the company rules from Reign. It was a really fun way to model what parts of the organization the players controlled and were improving, and to add some mechanical basis for something that usually feels like a matter of fiat. A+ would recommend. The world-building in the Realms stuff is delightfully weird compared to more European medieval-ish settings.

I really like Greg Stolze's designs in general, so I'm excited to upgrade from the paperback digest version of the rules and a bunch of pdfs to the nice books.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I actually wish it wasn't using ORE, ORE's got a huge problem in that it has a very, very small sweet spot for a character to be good at something without being overwhelmingly good at it. Like you go from 'i can't do poo poo' at 4 dice to 'i am literally unstoppable' at around 8.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Mors Rattus posted:

I actually wish it wasn't using ORE, ORE's got a huge problem in that it has a very, very small sweet spot for a character to be good at something without being overwhelmingly good at it. Like you go from 'i can't do poo poo' at 4 dice to 'i am literally unstoppable' at around 8.

ORE absolutely has its quirks, but I still really like it. In practice (especially with Monsters) I had to get used to characters being really successful at the things they were specialized in. However, I've had that experience with a lot of other systems I've run, from Dungeon World to Fate to Eclipse Phase.

Like the other systems, I ended up balancing between letting the characters do Their Big Thing, making them fall back on stuff they were less good at, or pitting them against opponents who were also really good at a particular thing.

In the case of the highly skilled opposition in ORE, I think it's satisfying for me and the players to size up each others' dice pool results and decide which matches to get rid of. You can also increase the difficulty level by establishing a minimum height - so that while they are very likely to get a match, it may not be a high enough value to complete that particular task.

If it's not to your taste, I do think they alluded to possible conversions or advice about adapting the Company rules to other game systems. That would certainly make sense as stretch goals.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 19, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mors Rattus posted:

At 4 dice you have a 50% chance of getting a match. One of the many things I enjoy about Reign is how Stoltze is very upfront about how the math works:

So yes, investing in your character being good at something means you are going to pass the great majority of routine tests in what you've invested in, which seems like kind of the point? You can still use difficulties for truly challenging feats, so even if you are basically guaranteed to get a roll, is it going to be good enough to climb the perfectly smooth wall or to satisfy the king's refined palate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The odds are quite clear, yes.

I don't like their distribution and curve.