Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Here's a question, what year is The City Of Lost Children set? This question literally bothered me for years.

8AD (Anno Denrée)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

this is the most deeply hosed u0p thing i have ever read in my entire life

CLEARLY flo-rida is the one wearing the baggy sweatpants and the reeboks with the strap

gently caress

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds like American McGee's Alice ripped it off. Have there ever been any Oz/Wonderland crossovers?
I'd love to see a movie adaption of American McGee's Alice. The setting held a lot of promise, but the game itself was a bit bland.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

drat my dog was rolling in something yesterday and it kept moving and she kept rerolling over it. Turned out she got pretty drat lucky:

Red Velvet Ant (it's a wasp). Thing was super pretty and have never seen one before yesterday, but turns out they can wreck your poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Get orf that slowth Jezza

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have there ever been any Oz/Wonderland crossovers?

I don't know but I'm just gonna assume that the Grimm Fairy Tales comics have done that, and it's been running for like four years and also crossed over with some kinda sexy version of Narnia and Willy Wonka

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat my dog was rolling in something yesterday and it kept moving and she kept rerolling over it. Turned out she got pretty drat lucky:

Red Velvet Ant (it's a wasp). Thing was super pretty and have never seen one before yesterday, but turns out they can wreck your poo poo

They're often known as cow killers around here. They're beautiful creatures, but they will gently caress your world up.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

LifeSunDeath posted:

All ants are modified wasps. So yeah

Really pretty

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those have one of the 5 worst stings of any bug in the world, I believe.

What I'm saying is let it sting you for science.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mushika posted:

They're often known as cow killers around here. They're beautiful creatures, but they will gently caress your world up.

Sometimes people moan about the cool, generally temperate climate we have in Scotland. But at the same time we don't have wasps called 'cow killers' scuttling about in our grass. Swings and roundabouts.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those have one of the 5 worst stings of any bug in the world, I believe.

What I'm saying is let it sting you for science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF-oSVCCqzU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Sometimes people moan about the cool, generally temperate climate we have in Scotland. But at the same time we don't have wasps called 'cow killers' scuttling about in our grass. Swings and roundabouts.

You should see a tarantula hawk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzaL5vvUxI0

The worst bit is that the sound is actually coming from the wasp.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Those get called "cow-killers" in many places. I wanted to preserve and mount one as a kid. I put it in sealed jar with no water and Fire Ant poison. Three weeks later it was still kicking. It's quite a sting if one gets you, like golf ball to softball sized swelling.

Bar Ran Dun has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jul 19, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Trig Discipline posted:

The worst bit is that the sound is actually coming from the wasp.

That wasp sounds conspicuously like a leaf blower.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aramoro posted:

Not yet

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

That wasp sounds conspicuously like a leaf blower.

Yeah that's how big they are.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I wonder how they'd measure the sting from a platypus' venom spur on a scale like that. The pain is initially incredibly excruciating (and doesn't respond to morphine) and can last days or even months and can still cause discomfort and stiffness in the wound area up to 25 years later.

Platpuses. Not even once.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well that's my dose of anxiety for the day

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah that's how big they are.

And you can still hear it, even after the wasp flies off!

Ah, nature :allears:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Well that's my dose of anxiety for the day

lol it looks like he has videos with tarantula hawks, bullet ants, warrior wasp and giant centipede as well. What a strange hobby for a living

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

In case anyone is wondering why it's only the females that sting in bees, wasps etc is because the sting is a modified ovipositor and obviously only the females have those.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Centaurs emerge fully grown from beds of flowers and brambles goddamn you guys

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

lol it looks like he has videos with tarantula hawks, bullet ants, warrior wasp and giant centipede as well. What a strange hobby for a living

It's like the opposite of ASMR

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That terrifying spider killing wasp is, however, extremely pretty.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LifeSunDeath posted:

I stuck one of these underwater for half an hour and it was still alive.

It also made... noises? Like creaks and squeaks. It was cool and I'm glad it didn't sting me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Now I want a YouTube series where the host and the interviewee get stung by increasingly worse insects every two minutes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know but I'm just gonna assume that the Grimm Fairy Tales comics have done that, and it's been running for like four years and also crossed over with some kinda sexy version of Narnia and Willy Wonka

I'm kind of wanting details now.

loving CAZADORS

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Now I want a YouTube series where the host and the interviewee get stung by increasingly worse insects every two minutes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

loving CAZADORS

Goddamn I haven't played New Vegas in a couple years and I still have a healthy fear of those things

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Grimm Fairy Tales is a comic book universe of "sexy" versions of fairy tales, it's been running for over a decade and has like 400 issues despite there not being a single human being alive who will admit to to reading it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Time bandits rules too. It also features a terrifying, floating disembodied head!

the trailer is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwnjENpIyq0

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Kids where I grew up used to stomp on these things to see how many times it took to kill one.

It took a surprising amount of stomps to kill them, unless some kid figured out to scrape their shoe across them after stomping.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

I stuck one of these underwater for half an hour and it was still alive.

It also made... noises? Like creaks and squeaks. It was cool and I'm glad it didn't sting me.

It's like a squeaky little scream. They're pretty fast too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow kids really seem to hate this one specific wasp

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Seems like this one specific wasp is a real fucker though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Phlegmish posted:

Wow kids really seem to hate this one specific wasp

They'd try to pull it's wings off if it had any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The males do, but they can't sting so it's extra pathetic.