Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i tried but it must have been a really lovely joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am in love with Captain Toad and Octopath Traveller's tiny-diorama world styles and I want you all to tell me about more current or upcoming games that feel like playing with lovingly-made miniatures.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

doingitwrong posted:

Before we plebes hosed it up, virtue signalling was a technical term from signalling theory which is a collection of ideas in biology (and later economics) about how organisms (or economic actors) credibly convey information to one another.

Can't speak much for economics but I think the biology concept you're thinking of is honest (or dishonest) signaling.

I mean I realize that's essentially what virtue signaling is in this context, but I'm pretty sure it's not known by that term. I've never once heard it in my studies/work at all.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

I am in love with Captain Toad and Octopath Traveller's tiny-diorama world styles and I want you all to tell me about more current or upcoming games that feel like playing with lovingly-made miniatures.
Octopath is going to take me a long time to finish. I know I need to pick up Captain Toad eventually. The demo was awesome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

I feel like GoG was clearly ignorant of the GamerGate connection. They deleted the tweet and made a sincere apology. That is good enough. GG is absolutely a hate group, one that specifically targets women in the game industry with harassment and violence. Postal 2 really should under no circumstances be given attention. It's a horrible game and it's use of racism and bigotry as satire is gross and not at all funny.

GoG is owned by an anti-union corporation that underpaid its workers so they could get The Witcher 3 made cheaper

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Is Captain Toad on the Switch that much better than the WiiU version? I know it has co-op but with my friend group I'm unlikely to be able to take advantage of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dewgy posted:

For example: It’s illegal to ban people from your business because of their race. It’s not illegal to have a suspiciously specific dress code that bans do rags, baggy pants, and gold chains.

Case in point: here's the new dress code a bar in Madison, WI (where I currently live) posted a few months back and, understandably, took a lot of poo poo for.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My mind was filling in "Portal" for "Postal" for several posts and it was a very strange discussion. Now that I have the proper context things make sense.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

GoG is owned by an anti-union corporation that underpaid its workers so they could get The Witcher 3 made cheaper
Do you have an article link? Same anti-union corporation working on Cyberpunk?

I assumed all AAA games are made with slave labour

Serf
May 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Case in point: here's the new dress code a bar in Madison, WI (where I currently live) posted a few months back and, understandably, took a lot of poo poo for.

pretty much verbatim the same rules as a big wooden sign that was outside a college bar where i went to school. nobody ever made them change it until all the bars got shut down after a kid drank himself to death

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my brain filled in "Bortal" for "Portal" but that's because it's very smooth and full of holes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

Theres some vr game about a mouse that does the same thing. I ferget the japanese word for tiny diorama but if somebody knows it you could probably find a list of games that adhere to that style

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

occamsnailfile posted:

Is Captain Toad on the Switch that much better than the WiiU version? I know it has co-op but with my friend group I'm unlikely to be able to take advantage of that.

It's got Mario Odyssey levels in exchange for the Mario 3D World levels (which weren't really dioramas but just straight up levels lazily dropped in Captain Toad).

The only other difference is if docked you use a joycon as a pointer to do touch screen stuff (but you can use the switch's touch screen in handheld mode)

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres some vr game about a mouse that does the same thing. I ferget the japanese word for tiny diorama but if somebody knows it you could probably find a list of games that adhere to that style

It's called Moss and it's cute but it's supposedly like 3 hours long so I'm waiting for a sale to play it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Isn’t the underpaying just the general wage level being much lower in Poland

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Isn’t that just the wage level being much lower in Poland in general

They also have an extremely strong crunch culture so chances are your money-per-hour is lower than it should be even by Polish standards, and work-life balance basically doesn't exist.

Their response when called out on it is to essentially release a statement to the effect of: "If they don't like it, they don't have to work here." This article has their statement in response to the large number of departures and all the complaints on Glassdoor (essentially admitting it's all true): https://kotaku.com/witcher-3-developer-puts-out-vague-statement-about-stud-1819513628

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

They also have an extremely strong crunch culture so chances are your money-per-hour is lower than it should be even by Polish standards, and work-life balance basically doesn't exist.

Their response when called out on it is to essentially release a statement to the effect of: "If they don't like it, they don't have to work here." This article has their statement in response to the large number of departures and all the complaints on Glassdoor (essentially admitting it's all true): https://kotaku.com/witcher-3-developer-puts-out-vague-statement-about-stud-1819513628

Well gently caress them if they don’t pay proper overtime pay then

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LawfulWaffle posted:

You're more important that that. You are worth taking up someone's time even if you didn't pay them.

Thanks, I guess I needed to hear this :shobon:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Well gently caress them if they don’t pay proper overtime pay then

Yeah pretty much

Honestly it's not a surprise and it shouldn't be. CDPR is far from alone in doing this, though they're notable for being so publicly :shrug: about it. It's very common in the US, too, and not just in video games. A salaried position (as opposed to hourly pay) basically just means "you're probably going to work overtime and we legally don't have to pay you for it." I know I routinely work more than 40 hours a week at my job and I'm keenly aware that they're essentially getting "free" extra work out of me, but I have enough work on my plate that it's either that or don't meet deadlines and therefore not have this job (and my employer 100% knows that, too).

My employer has twice in my time here been sued in class-action lawsuits by former members of two teams over that kind of thing, and the second time it was my own team (technical writing). Also that second time it went to the Supreme Court and ended up in a ruling that set a real bad precedent for workers' rights nationwide so... :smith:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

The Verge says the word is hakoniwa, which brought me to Hakoniwa Explorer Plus on Steam which, uh…

quote:

Get ready for a voxel art action game featuring an unprecedented level of freedom! A whole range of cute girl monsters are waiting to punch, kick, wrap you up, suck your blood, and eat you right up.

Popular user-defined tags for this product: Action Indie Sexual Content RPG Nudity

I think I need to find other words.

I am sure I saw a preview awhile ago of a game that was some kind of adventure or RPG and you were zoomed out and the world had sections or tiles that could flip over like you were manipulating a puzzle box dungeon. I have such a clear picture in my head of this but no idea how to find it again.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cowcaster posted:

my brain filled in "Bortal"

are you talking to me?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm going to buy Sonic 1 again because these changes sound super interesting.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/19/sega-ages-sonic-the-hedgehog-and-thunder-force-iv-to-come-out-in-august/

Also if you like diorama stuff and can stand the platforming of, say, Mario RPG, then there's plenty of old games like Solstice and Equinox to try, and recently Lumo which you might have gotten for free on PS+.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks, I guess I needed to hear this :shobon:

Np, bud. We all do sometimes.

I played more of Stasis and I couldn't figure out how to pull my spine out, but I did get eaten by a big ol bug and I'm in proper gross out horror territory now. The story is a little rote but that doesn't mean it isn't good, there's a good amount of tension where I think I know what my character is heading towards even if he doesn't want to accept it, but at the same time there's something I really like about a story where there is no apparent end game. A space ship drifting off course, completely dark to anyone who would be watching, for months, where the stakes are ratcheted up bit by bit, providing a scenario where even if the MC achieves his immediate goal he's still left without any solid plans for survival. It's my jam.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been making my way through Zodiac Age and it keeps reminding me why this became my favourite FF game. I remember people whining about how the game plays itself, but I've always found the gambit system a great QoL thing to automate fodder fights, and there's something satisfying about tinkering with your gambits and abilities. The 2x/4x speed up function is great and the game looks fantastic, even 12 years later (I know it's a remaster, but still, drat).

I've been taking my time with it; I'm clearing maps, doing hunts and sidequests and the occasional bit of chain grinding to get some money (hello Succulent Fruits)

I just got back to Rabanastre after getting my second set of jobs, and I had some questions about equipment. I'm guessing I'll have to pick a "primary" job and equip gear for that one while using the second job's stats/abilities to compliment the first one?

For example, I made Ashe a Black Mage/Monk. She can now equip Mystic Armor and Staves from her BLM board (+MP / +Magic Power, scales off Magic) or Light Armour/Poles from her Monk one (+HP +VIT/SPD depending on piece, higher DEF, scales on STR).

Considering I plan on using her mainly as a BLM, I guess should I be equipping Mystic Gear and staves? Or just do whatever because it doesn't matter?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah pretty much

Honestly it's not a surprise and it shouldn't be. CDPR is far from alone in doing this, though they're notable for being so publicly :shrug: about it. It's very common in the US, too, and not just in video games. A salaried position (as opposed to hourly pay) basically just means "you're probably going to work overtime and we legally don't have to pay you for it." I know I routinely work more than 40 hours a week at my job and I'm keenly aware that they're essentially getting "free" extra work out of me, but I have enough work on my plate that it's either that or don't meet deadlines and therefore not have this job (and my employer 100% knows that, too).

My employer has twice in my time here been sued in class-action lawsuits by former members of two teams over that kind of thing, and the second time it was my own team (technical writing). Also that second time it went to the Supreme Court and ended up in a ruling that set a real bad precedent for workers' rights nationwide so... :smith:

Man that sucks.

I'm really glad that I live in a country that has sensible worker protections.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just got back to Rabanastre after getting my second set of jobs, and I had some questions about equipment. I'm guessing I'll have to pick a "primary" job and equip gear for that one while using the second job's stats/abilities to compliment the first one?

For example, I made Ashe a Black Mage/Monk. She can now equip Mystic Armor and Staves from her BLM board (+MP / +Magic Power, scales off Magic) or Light Armour/Poles from her Monk one (+HP +VIT/SPD depending on piece, higher DEF, scales on STR).

Considering I plan on using her mainly as a BLM, I guess should I be equipping Mystic Gear and staves? Or just do whatever because it doesn't matter?

Gear has a pretty significant effect, more so than a character's base stats, so yes, gear for what you want to do. Ashe as a Black Mage/Monk should probably primarily be a Black Mage, like you say, because Black Mage is hilariously OP. So equip mystic armor and staves to boost that even more. Of note are elemental staves, which boost elemental spell damage by a whopping 50% (and they don't even tell you that in-game :v:), so keep those around even after they seem outdated. These include the Cherry Staff (wind), Flame, Storm, and Glacial Staves (fire, thunder, ice respectively), Cloud Staff (thunder, wind, water) and Staff of the Magi (ice, wind, holy, which she'll be able to cast because she has Monk).

Not every job combination strictly has a primary/secondary split, though. Some jobs just complement each other by making each side better at what it already does. For example, as a Bushi/Knight, Basch wearing heavy armor boosts what both jobs do: hit things real hard. He can slap on a piece of mystic armor if you need to boost his white magic at all, but in general katanas get a bigger boost from Strength than Magic so heavy armor is the real winner for him.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish Technicks in FFXII were better. They’re so underpowered compared to even the worst magic spells.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I always had fun trying to incorporate them into gambits, though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
US salary chat: I graduated in 2009 into a poo poo economy. I "luckily" got an environmental consulting job before I graduated. I mostly worked on a drill rig making $25.5k salaried. The nature of drilling is every day is a long day. 60+ hour weeks are normal. After several months of working for less than minimum wage (if one converted my salaried wage to an hourly wage), I brought it up with my supervisor. His response was, "if minimum wage is important to you, get a job at McDonalds."

It set the tone for the rest of my nearly 3 years at that job and solidified my opinion of private industry. Working for two subsequent companies only reinforced that opinion. I'm coming up on three years with state government and it's the best. I'm convinced it's the last place employees are treated fairly... the recent Supreme Court ruling in the AFSCME case has me nervous.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't like the idea that people suffered to make something I enjoy. It's hard to watch the resuscitation scene in The Abyss knowing how much Mary Elisabeth Mastrantonio got abused by James Cameron insisting on filming take after take of Ed Harris basically having to beat her, and gently caress anyone that thinks that kinda stuff is really worth the end result. Also as bad as eating meat is I take particular exception to stuff like foie gras where it's literally a product of torturing an animal. While months of crunch aren't literal physical torture it's still a horrible thing to do to people.

Videogames aren't worth destroying people's lives over and the whole 'everyone does it' thing companies always throw out is no excuse :smith:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Convex posted:

I don't like the idea that people suffered to make something I enjoy. It's hard to watch the resuscitation scene in The Abyss knowing how much Mary Elisabeth Mastrantonio got abused by James Cameron insisting on filming take after take of Ed Harris basically having to beat her, and gently caress anyone that thinks that kinda stuff is really worth the end result. Also as bad as eating meat is I take particular exception to stuff like foie gras where it's literally a product of torturing an animal. While months of crunch aren't literal physical torture it's still a horrible thing to do to people.

Videogames aren't worth destroying people's lives over and the whole 'everyone does it' thing companies always throw out is no excuse :smith:

I have bad news about basically every product you have ever used

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Andrast posted:

I have bad news about basically every product you have ever used

yeah i know

:capitalism:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Man that sucks.

I'm really glad that I live in a country that has sensible worker protections.

On this topic, there was a dude who quit from my team a few years back and sent out an email to the whole company (that IT quickly scrubbed but I forwarded to my personal email) with a bunch of advice for work/life balance. The one that stuck with me had to do with how working more than 40 hours a week devalues your time.

Let's say a tech writer makes $50,000 per year. In 2018, there are roughly 261 working days on the calendar (give or take paid time off and paid holidays, but sometimes you have to "catch up" after those so it might not actually equate to less time working). If that writer works 40 hours per week, the threshold after which they'd need to be paid overtime by law if they were hourly instead of salaried, that writer would be making about $24 per hour. If that writer instead works 50 hours a week on average, which isn't at all uncommon for US tech workers and might even be on the low side at some companies (not mine, thankfully), that writer is instead making $19.20 per hour. That's a pretty big gap.

Proponents of salaried positions would likely argue that you're being paid for work done and not for time spent in that case, which isn't necessarily false, but it's cold comfort when you see extra hours of your life evaporating and you're not even getting anything in return.

Add to that the research suggesting that long work hours don't necessarily increase productivity and it's a huge loving sinkhole of depression and anxiety. Of course, good luck selling the idea of shorter work hours to Americans. Culturally, we value "hard work" but have no idea what the difference between "hard work" and "a waste of time" is, so the perception is that working fewer hours = not working hard = lazy and you don't deserve poo poo. It doesn't even follow the above paragraph. Even if you're a salaried worker and you can get the expected amount of work done in 30 hours instead of 40, that means you clearly have time to do more (without getting paid more, naturally) and not just that you're efficient.

Jay Rust posted:

I wish Technicks in FFXII were better. They’re so underpowered compared to even the worst magic spells.

There are a couple of exceptions to this but yeah, by and large Technicks are garbage.

Shades of Black is extremely strong in the mid-game because you're going to fairly regularly bust out third-level black magic spells or even endgame poo poo like Scathe for 0 MP cost. Slap that on someone with mystic armor and just delete every non-boss encounter until your Black Mage can cast those spells naturally. The stat-breaking Technicks (Wither, Expose, Addle, and Shear) are also extremely overpowered and trivialize most of the postgame bosses, but they're also not available until the tail end of the game in the first place.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 19, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

On this topic, there was a dude who quit from my team a few years back and sent out an email to the whole company (that IT quickly scrubbed but I forwarded to my personal email) with a bunch of advice for work/life balance. The one that stuck with me had to do with how working more than 40 hours a week devalues your time.

Let's say a tech writer makes $50,000 per year. In 2018, there are roughly 261 working days on the calendar (give or take paid time off and paid holidays, but sometimes you have to "catch up" after those so it might not actually equate to less time working). If that writer works 40 hours per week, the threshold after which they'd need to be paid overtime by law if they were hourly instead of salaried, that writer would be making about $24 per hour. If that writer instead works 50 hours a week on average, which isn't at all uncommon for US tech workers and might even be on the low side at some companies (not mine, thankfully), that writer is instead making $19.20 per hour. That's a pretty big gap.

Proponents of salaried positions would likely argue that you're being paid for work done and not for time spent in that case, which isn't necessarily false, but it's cold comfort when you see extra hours of your life evaporating and you're not even getting anything in return.

Add to that the research suggesting that long work hours don't necessarily increase productivity and it's a huge loving sinkhole of depression and anxiety. Of course, good luck selling the idea of shorter work hours to Americans. Culturally, we value "hard work" but have no idea what the difference between "hard work" and "a waste of time" is, so the perception is that working fewer hours = not working hard = lazy and you don't deserve poo poo. It doesn't even follow the above paragraph. Even if you're a salaried worker and you can get the expected amount of work done in 30 hours instead of 40, that means you clearly have time to do more (without getting paid more, naturally) and not just that you're efficient.

I'd probably take a pay cut to reduce my hours from 37,5/week to like 30h/week if it was offered. I'd probably get almost as much work done as I do now too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't forget about salaried positions meaning you are always expected to be available to deal with something. Feeling like you always have to expect that some urgent business you have to deal with may come up out of the blue is not great for long term stress levels or feeling like you can ever leave your house when not at work.

Basically US work culture sucks. At least I have a cubicle rather than an open office.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I think Basch (Bushi/Knight) is the only one I'm not gonna have 'conflicts' with; for the rest I'll probably have to pick something to focus on:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Balthier: Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran: White Mage/Machinist
Basch: Knight/Samurai
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk
Penelo: Archer/Red Battlemage

I'll probably have to do a bit of reading at some point since a lot of jobs have more going for them than it seems by their name/weapons and some combinations have some dumb powerful options that are not super obvious: I was thinking about keeping Vaan with light armour and daggers/katanas for tanking with evasion, but apparently you want heavy armour on him for the Genji gear?

Good thing is that barring the jobs themselves (and quickenings/espers but I have a good idea of what to do with those :v: ), I can just grind LP for a bit and unlock whatever current-tier gear I'm using, so it's not a gigantic commitment.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
My office does four 9 hour days a week, and is closed on Fridays. Nothing bad happens because of it and the quality of life change is so immense I'd make it mandatory for everyone if I could.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think Basch (Bushi/Knight) is the only one I'm not gonna have 'conflicts' with; for the rest I'll probably have to pick something to focus on:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Balthier: Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran: White Mage/Machinist
Basch: Knight/Samurai
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk
Penelo: Archer/Red Battlemage

I'll probably have to do a bit of reading at some point since a lot of jobs have more going for them than it seems by their name/weapons and some combinations have some dumb powerful options that are not super obvious: I was thinking about keeping Vaan with light armour and daggers/katanas for tanking with evasion, but apparently you want heavy armour on him for the Genji gear?

Good thing is that barring the jobs themselves (and quickenings/espers but I have a good idea of what to do with those :v: ), I can just grind LP for a bit and unlock whatever current-tier gear I'm using, so it's not a gigantic commitment.

FFXII really isn't difficult enough for any of this to matter

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

Don't forget about salaried positions meaning you are always expected to be available to deal with something. Feeling like you always have to expect that some urgent business you have to deal with may come up out of the blue is not great for long term stress levels or feeling like you can ever leave your house when not at work.

Basically US work culture sucks. At least I have a cubicle rather than an open office.

We have actual offices here, which is nice. Like with real doors that close. Lots of us share with one other person but that's no big deal and it's nice to have someone on the other side of the room who you can be like "can you believe this poo poo I just got in an email" to. I don't think I could deal with an open office.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

We have actual offices here, which is nice. Like with real doors that close. Lots of us share with one other person but that's no big deal and it's nice to have someone on the other side of the room who you can be like "can you believe this poo poo I just got in an email" to. I don't think I could deal with an open office.

At my work we don't really have space for proper offices (R&D warehouse with a cleanroom taking most of the space) so we have an open office in the remaining space.

I do have the option to just work from home if I have something that needs concentration though. I also like coming to work early so I'm usually alone for the first two hours of the day.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

occamsnailfile posted:

It's better on account of not being on the Wii U.

• Locked thread