Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

jeff flake is worse than the guys that just go along because he's so loving phony.
He definitely makes me angrier because he keeps saying the right things but doing absolutely nothing. It’s even more infuriating because he’s out of office in 6 months no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1019974244711784453

Just in case you needed any more confirmation of Nielsen being a garbage person.

gently caress that bitch.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Pakled posted:

Jeff Flake alone defecting wouldn't change anything because you'd still have Pence as the tiebreaking vote but that doesnt invalidate your point

It would be 50-49 right now because of McCain not being able to vote

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pakled posted:

Jeff Flake defecting would create a 50-50 tie in the Senate. How would that result in a Democratic Majority Leader?

At some point in the very near future it's highly likely that the only way McCain will cast a vote on anything is if they wheel him into the Senate chambers on a stretcher. IV stuck in his arm, bare rear end hanging out of his hospital gown and all.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tony Gunk posted:

Without McCain the Senate is 50-49 GOP right now.

Caros posted:

With McCain out indefinitely, wouldn't a flake defection make any potential vote 50-49?

I'm pretty sure if there was a majority leader vote, McCain would drag himself to Washington to vote for McConnell.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

McCain counts as long as he is alive in terms of caucus numbers

yeah unfortunately while a single flip would be nice, it wouldn't give dems control just a one-vote majority, but they couldn't ever do anything with it

it'd be nice to technically have control of the senate 50-49, but with no ability to direct committees or decide what bills come to the floor it's almost meaningless

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pakled posted:

I'm pretty sure if there was a majority leader vote, McCain would drag himself to Washington to vote for McConnell.

Bold prediction: McCain will never cast another vote in the Senate again.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is great, and it made me realize how rarely I see real principles coming from large organizations of any kind.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m honestly shocked that McCain hasn’t stepped down yet. We’re well past the deadline that would trigger a special election this November and now he’s running the risk that his replacement will be picked by a probable Democratic Governor after midterms. Sure that replacement would need to be a Republican but I’m sure they could find the most RINO person they can.

Also him not being able to go to Washington makes it extremely difficult for Republicans to rush through a Reconciliation bill this fall since they wouldn’t be able to have a single defection.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m honestly shocked that McCain hasn’t stepped down yet. We’re well past the deadline that would trigger a special election this November and now he’s running the risk that his replacement will be picked by a probable Democratic Governor after midterms. Sure that replacement would need to be a Republican but I’m sure they could find the most RINO person they can.

AZ law requires the governor to pick a replacement from the party that the person they're replacing belonged to at the time of his or her election.

Yeah they could pick the most liberal Republican around but the (R) by their name still carries weight when it comes to defining majority/minority.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He really wants to die in office I guess

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Drone posted:

Bold prediction: McCain will never cast another vote in the Senate again.

I agree with you there, but I think if there was something as important as a majority leader vote and it came down to a one-vote margin, if McCain was conscious, he would vote on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

He really wants to die in office I guess

He will die very concerned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Drone posted:

AZ law requires the governor to pick a replacement from the party that the person they're replacing belonged to at the time of his or her election.

I literally mentioned that right in my post...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's very stupid that removal doesn't automatically trigger a special election everywhere.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He definitely makes me angrier because he keeps saying the right things but doing absolutely nothing. It’s even more infuriating because he’s out of office in 6 months no matter what.

my fave flake move was a guy whose continued living requires obamacare confronting jeff on a plane and jeff still voted yes on every repeal attempt. a real class act.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

This owns. I'm even happier I donated to them last week - and, if you can, you should too! A generous goon is currently matching the next $781 donated, which due to their own donations + workplace matching will become $2343! Thread is here.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Is it possible McCain just wants to piss off Trump and keep the Senate in Republican hands (because he wants those judges), but by the slimmest of margins to limit the total insanity of the furthest right members?

He might be hoping he'll survive to the lame duck session so he can choose whether or not to resign, depending on the results of the Senate and GOV races.

McCain loves attention and press adulation. He's very invested in keeping his maverick reputation, despite being largely fictional.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 19, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's very stupid that removal doesn't automatically trigger a special election everywhere.

my fave flake move was a guy whose continued living requires obamacare confronting jeff on a plane and jeff still voted yes on every repeal attempt. a real class act.

I swear the Ruskies have piss-tapes for all these guys or something...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1019974244711784453

lol

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

"After all, did he or did he not intern Japanese-Americans?"

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I was a Salesforce dev for a year. They're getting paid to sabotage the CPB from within while torturing whoever ends up having to code in Apex. (ie Java without all those confusing features)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also him not being able to go to Washington makes it extremely difficult for Republicans to rush through a Reconciliation bill this fall since they wouldn’t be able to have a single defection.

I bet he steps down in the lame duck if the dems win the governor seat so that they can replace him.

The NYT will blow him for stepping down for the good of the country when it happens too.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I was a Salesforce dev for a year. They're getting paid to sabotage the CPB from within while torturing whoever ends up having to code in Apex. (ie Java without all those confusing features)

Looks like theyre actually run by Nazis and not some kind of imaginary resistance force.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus christ, this woman is moronic rear end in a top hat.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Siljmonster posted:

Looks like theyre actually run by Nazis and not some kind of imaginary resistance force.

I think it's a "Salesforce is a poo poo company" joke.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
McCain will remain relevant as long as he is Senator, and is keeping us all in suspense.

I don't think he's so different from Trump in that way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m just glad that McCain didn’t roll over and die the day after the deadline because that would have been maximum troll.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The AZ governor's race is a massively important election......

Dapper_Swindler posted:

She's a nazi.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol

https://twitter.com/danlamothe/status/1019976816788942853?s=21

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tibalt posted:

I think it's a "Salesforce is a poo poo company" joke.

Joke?!

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
So Bernie Sanders' campaign manager was Tad Devine from 2014 onward. Previous to that, Devine was apparently exchanging emails with... Manafort and his shady Russian partners.

Of course, it could be totally innocent. His emails with Manafort are on Mueller's evidence list in the Manafort case.

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1019970082812940289

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Everyone in the Trump admin now is unwilling to take a strong position on anything for fear of pissing off Trump.

Anyone who had a problem with saying such morally odious poo poo in exchange for job security would have already left, so gently caress them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JasonV posted:

So Bernie Sanders' campaign manager was Tad Devine from 2014 onward. Previous to that, Devine was apparently exchanging emails with... Manafort and his shady Russian partners.

Of course, it could be totally innocent. His emails with Manafort are on Mueller's evidence list in the Manafort case.

Washington political consultants are poo poo human beings... News at 11.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

JasonV posted:

this witchhunt has gone far enough

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rinkles posted:

so the dem/left messaging worked?

goddamn it

No, the fact that there's nothing of value in them at all worked, Dem messaging was the same as it was on every other issue.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
0% shocked that Bernie's Campaign Manager may have been a Russian plant.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/vanitaguptaCR/status/1019986685516447744

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1019985377405423618

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1019984074885271556

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1019983065483968514

https://twitter.com/jduffyrice/status/1019972554050613250

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/will_bunch/russian-spies-hacking-trump-democratic-election-20180715.html

quote:

Buried in Friday's bombshell indictment of Russian spies are new, stunning clues on how Putin's meddling may have won it for Trump: By messing with state voter rolls and by stealing Democratic analytics to learn which states to target in the fall:

"Some of the kind of problems that you’d expect to see on Election Day with bad voter rolls actually materialized in key swing states. For example, in North Carolina — a swing state that proved critical to Trump’s victory — voters in key precincts in places like Durham County encountered major problems with electronic “poll books,” which forced officials to switch to paper lists that caused voting delays as long as an hour and a half. The poll books were supplied by … you guessed it, VR Systems. Trump won North Carolina by 177,000 votes."

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm having an anger flashback to arguing with a friend on Facebook that his 2017 speech was a big empty gesture because there wasn't any daylight between what he votes for and believes and what Trump wants. I was told that I'm so hyper-partisan because denouncing Trump and quitting the Senate wasn't good enough for me :smith:

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

JasonV posted:

This is really stupid and not even news. It's been known for years that Devine worked for Yanukovich in Ukraine. He also worked for Gore, Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Rinkles posted:

I remember some polling indicating that, but did the general populace actually not like them?

I know they’re bad, but I noticed a nice boost in my paycheck. That seems like enough to make most people like them.

• Locked thread