Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anything Logic related should be found on logicprohelp.com

David Nahmani, the main admin, is incredible and he'll likely have answers to literally anything Logic-related you could ask about. It was my forum of choice before joining SA. Yes, I know that's a weird comparison.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
So I've been finding that a good cure for GAS is to rewatch old videos of the gear you already own, especially Nick Batt reviews. It never quite eradicates it, but it helps to give you the sense of excitement and potential that GAS creates. You've also probably forgotten about some of the things your current gear can do and have got overly familiar. Old review and patch videos can help turn that around and refresh your enthusiasm and remind you why you bought the gear in the first place.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Plavski posted:

So I've been finding that a good cure for GAS is to rewatch old videos of the gear you already own, especially Nick Batt reviews. It never quite eradicates it, but it helps to give you the sense of excitement and potential that GAS creates. You've also probably forgotten about some of the things your current gear can do and have got overly familiar. Old review and patch videos can help turn that around and refresh your enthusiasm and remind you why you bought the gear in the first place.

This is exactly why I watch Serum videos.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Plavski posted:

building the perfect modular cured my gas :smugdon:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

building the perfect modular cured my gas :smugdon:

mine too except i replaced a triatt with a peaks and a line out with a headphone amp

but i showed my wife the grandmother and now she has gas

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Weird niche question. Does anyone know if it’s possible to download a fully produced, finished song as a project file into Logic Pro x strictly for learning purposes? I’m teaching myself the ropes of the program, but I’d love to try and work backwards from something that is already well made, go into the nooks and crannies of it and see what the original creator did, and what adjusting those parameters does to alter the sound.

They have demos that you can download as "additional content" through the app itself. There's a current-ish Beck song.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

sliderule posted:

replaced a triatt
:thunk:

sliderule posted:

with a peaks
:thunkher:

sliderule posted:

oh that would be gr8 to run borat samples through 🙂

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

triatt is the best sounding module intellijel make!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

sliderule posted:

Synths and Synthesis mkII: showed my wife the grandmother and now she has gas

Or if that doesn't fit,

Synths and Synthesis mkII: And now my wife has gas

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Peter Greenaway's The Wife, the Grandmother, and the Gas.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

It turns out you can have too many offset / attenuators and people throw away the peaks for peanuts!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sliderule posted:

It turns out you can have too many offset / attenuators and people throw away the peaks for peanuts!

you literally cannot have too many mxers though 🤔

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sure it's come up before, but how does the splice rent to own thing for serum work? is there some background authentication program that you need to run? if so, does it remain that way after you've fully paid?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

sure it's come up before, but how does the splice rent to own thing for serum work? is there some background authentication program that you need to run? if so, does it remain that way after you've fully paid?

there's an authentication program yeah. you get a license key after you successfully pay all your payments

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

you literally cannot have too many mxers though 🤔

scan & pan + 2u 6 in 2 out unity gain + 1u 4att in 104hp 7u was enough for me, i found

and peaks was like 20bux lol

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

triatt is the best of my 6 mixers for dialing in feedback because of the inverting mode but horses for courses :shrug:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

triatt is the best of my 6 mixers for dialing in feedback because of the inverting mode but horses for courses :shrug:

my 1u is also intellijel and owns in that manner

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I believe you only need to have it connect once every three days in order to have Serum continue to work.

Once you're fully paid, I believe you get an actual serial number for xfer's direct site.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

thanks for the info you two, i'm all in now.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
a new Arturia Drumbrute was leaked today, DrumBrute Impact

quote:

Arturia will release the Drumbrute Impact drum machine for 299€ which is a bargain and it sports 8 dynamic pads, 4 audio outs, MIDI and it’s smaller than the Drumbrute – so it is so to say the TR606 compared to the bigger brother. it has a new FM instrument and still a 64 pattern sequencer. like the Microbrute is to the Minibrute – it is smaller, cheaper and maybe still very attractive, maybe more attractive for it’s size and price? ..

https://www.sequencer.de/blog/arturia-drumbrute-impact-kleine-schwester-drummachine-analog/36229

I absolutely don't need this but if they've improved the sounds a bit it'll be really tempting. I hope "FM Voice" can be sequenced in a useful way.

Sexy Randal fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 18, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Niiice. I'd miss the clap though. That was like half the reason I got a Drumbrute (Zap was the other half, I'm easily pleased when it comes to drums).

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

I signed up for the Serum rent-to-own as it seemed like a sweet deal. Now I would like to use my Microbrute keyboard to control Serum in Reaper if possible. So I set the input of the track with Serum FX to use midi from the Microbrute. It's triggering midi in the record monitor but there is no response from Serum. This is my first time using a VST so I assume I'm doing something wrong - any setting in Serum I'm missing?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MIDI has 16 channels, always check your devices are set to send and receive on the same one. Probably gonna have to hook up the Brute to your PC and use its software to check/set it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Yas posted:

I signed up for the Serum rent-to-own as it seemed like a sweet deal. Now I would like to use my Microbrute keyboard to control Serum in Reaper if possible. So I set the input of the track with Serum FX to use midi from the Microbrute. It's triggering midi in the record monitor but there is no response from Serum. This is my first time using a VST so I assume I'm doing something wrong - any setting in Serum I'm missing?

You said "the track with Serum FX", which made me think that you added the Serum Effects Rack on that track and not the full Serum Synthesizer. Serum comes in two versions, the full version which has the synth engine and then the FX rack which just allows you to slap Serum's FX rack on any instrument. Both of these are included in the Rent-To-Own plan I believe.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

This might not be exactly the right thread for this question, but what's a decent budget drum machine (let's say for under $300)? Or do I just have to shell out a grand to get anything decent?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Volca Beats, if you don't mind soldering a single thing.

Or Volca Sample, if you don't mind it not technically being a drum machine.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Laocius posted:

This might not be exactly the right thread for this question, but what's a decent budget drum machine (let's say for under $300)? Or do I just have to shell out a grand to get anything decent?

If you just want some quality hip-hop style presets, I've been having a lot of luck with the Akai XR20

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Used TR-8?
https://reverb.com/p/roland-aira-tr-8-rhythm-performer

In other Volca related news I've recorded a little walkthrough on how to make the fattest sound the keys can make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1AF3JYdZs0

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Laocius posted:

In addition to the Volcas, Arturia's Drumbrute was fairly well received and we'd just been talking about a leak saying they'd come out with a Drumbrute Impact, a pared down version that is exactly at that price point.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Laocius posted:

I’m looking to sell my TR-8 drum machine, let me know if you are interested! It’s in great condition with all upgrades.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Laocius posted:

What kind of sounds are you looking for? The TR8 is pretty great and IMO nicer than Volcas (if you spend your entire budget in one go anyway), but not if you want to do laid-back unquantized stuff.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

MrSargent posted:

You said "the track with Serum FX", which made me think that you added the Serum Effects Rack on that track and not the full Serum Synthesizer. Serum comes in two versions, the full version which has the synth engine and then the FX rack which just allows you to slap Serum's FX rack on any instrument. Both of these are included in the Rent-To-Own plan I believe.

It was this. I was adding Serum as an FX plugin and not as a virtual instrument to the track. Thanks a bunch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laocius posted:

A refurbished iPad with Patterning.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yas posted:

It was this. I was adding Serum as an FX plugin and not as a virtual instrument to the track. Thanks a bunch.

Glad that was it! I've definitely done that before and been like "Umm why is Serum missing the synth engine".

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sexy Randal posted:

a new Arturia Drumbrute was leaked today, DrumBrute Impact

https://www.sequencer.de/blog/arturia-drumbrute-impact-kleine-schwester-drummachine-analog/36229

I absolutely don't need this but if they've improved the sounds a bit it'll be really tempting. I hope "FM Voice" can be sequenced in a useful way.

I can't tell from the pics, but does it support their rack format, or have they already abandoned that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

stillvisions posted:

I can't tell from the pics, but does it support their rack format, or have they already abandoned that?

It doesn’t seem to support it, but I’m not sure that it’s really meant for that- the rack stuff is for eurorack/connecting synths to eurorack, although I wonder if this means that a possible future Microbrute 2 won’t have it either as a cost/tier measure.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Hey all, I was thinking of starting a thread for sampling since we don't have a dedicated one at this point. But I wanted to make sure that there would be enough interest to keep it alive. I recently discovered a new website that is attempting to revive sampling for this generation and wanted to share some of the details with you all, since it may encourage some of you to jump into sampling.

Recently, I joined a website called Tracklib, which is being promoted by some legendary hip-hop producers like Prince Paul and Eric Sermon. The idea is that they work with record labels to make their entire catalog available for sampling. On Tracklib, you browse their library of songs and can listen to compressed audio to find something you want to sample. Once you find something, you can purchase the high-quality audio of the song for $1.99. When you are browsing songs, the information regarding the license fee and royalty percentage is all right there for you, so you know up front what the cost will be and you know you can clear it.

The licensing fee is determined by the popularity of the song. Category A is the most expensive at $2500, Category B is $500, and Category C is $50. The vast majority of the songs available on the website are Category C. In addition to the licensing fee, there is also Revenue Sharing, or Royalty information. The percentage is dependent on the Category and the length of the sample. The table below breaks this down.

I am hoping that this is new information to some of you who are interested in sampling, but have maybe avoided it due to the issues around getting sample clearance. If enough people are interested, I will start a Sampling thread and put some effort into the OP. I have included the website below in case anyone wants to check it out!

http://www.tracklib.com/

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

stillvisions posted:

their rack format? you mean doepfers eurorack format? :thunk:

im sure you can plug it into a modular, looks like you can even clock it from one

plus it looks narrower than the minibrute 2, so it might would necessitate a new, smaller rack to mount on it or a bigger enclosure on their budget drum machine to mount it to the old one

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

MrSargent posted:

The licensing fee is determined by the popularity of the song. Category A is the most expensive at $2500, Category B is $500, and Category C is $50. The vast majority of the songs available on the website are Category C. In addition to the licensing fee, there is also Revenue Sharing, or Royalty information. The percentage is dependent on the Category and the length of the sample. The table below breaks this down.

[timg]https://i.imgur.comG2MW8Fg.png[/timg]

Thanks for posting this- looks like an interesting idea, although I'm curious how much of that revenue gets back to the original artists or their families. What happens if you sample 3 category A songs, or 4 category B songs etc? It seems like there's no way to use this to make a sample heavy record in the vein of Endtroducing or Since I Left You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Laocius posted:

in addition to everything else people have posted picking up a used tr-08 or tr-09 is also in your price range

that said your best bet would be a volca beats/sample, tr-8, drumbrute, or one of the smaller MFB units