Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is going to be some sort of immigration enforcement done by some agency so it seems like more of a PR thing to me. That is to say I don't know why abolishing ICE and moving its function under a different agency is preferable to just changing ICE to be not evil but optics I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

dont want to get TOO worked up about the baby concentration camps, no siree

Republicans are the ones who brought the bill to the floor in order to show "look, democrats are against your safety"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

first they came for the infants

and i said nothing, because i thought that being against an agency that imprisons infants would be bad optics

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

first they came for the infants

and i said nothing, because i thought that being against an agency that imprisons infants would be bad optics

LOL you think the name of an agency matters vs what their boss tells them to do. Abolishing ICE will do jack and poo poo about infant imprisonment when it'll just be some other agency that takes that duty over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems to me that unless “revamp our entire immigration system so that we as a nation don't and an executive cannot unilaterally implement ICE bullshit” is the plan, it's a gesture at best. If everyone understands that that's what “ abolish ICE” means then so be it but it needs to be clear that this isn't some rogue agency we can fix by dismantling but a systemic and stautory mistreatment of immigrants and refugees that presidents of both parties have allowed

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Zil posted:

Translation: "We didn't like the answers we were gettting, so we are going to pretend everyone loves us still"
:911: They've finally managed to run government like a business!

Also I just checked the weather for my upcoming trip to your fine state and :dogbutton:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Paracaidas posted:

:911: They've finally managed to run government like a business!

Also I just checked the weather for my upcoming trip to your fine state and :dogbutton:

We have two seasons, summer and not summer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

There is going to be some sort of immigration enforcement done by some agency so it seems like more of a PR thing to me. That is to say I don't know why abolishing ICE and moving its function under a different agency is preferable to just changing ICE to be not evil but optics I guess

the proposed abolish ice bill is good

separate deportation enforcement from, well, everything else, shuffle the everything else to other agencies, consider how to unfuck us immigration law, consider directly how to unfuck deportation enforcement (insofar as we decide we still need it)

RisqueBarber posted:

Good. It would have made him and other democrats vulnerable in November.

A quote from Beto in yesterdays Dallas Morning News:

“We could abolish HHS and ORR and CBP and DHS and ICE, or we could decide that we're going to change these practices,” El Paso Rep. Beto O’Rourke, who is challenging Cruz in November, said on KUT. “It's not as simple as saying that we want to change one agency.”

Beto is bad because he is not a communist This is a perfectly valid way to frame it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Water Resistant posted:

LOL you think the name of an agency matters vs what their boss tells them to do. Abolishing ICE will do jack and poo poo about infant imprisonment when it'll just be some other agency that takes that duty over.

me, dumb: it seems like all the worst abuses are coming from the agency that news reports have indicated for years has been overrun by chuds and infiltrated by white nationalists and cliven bundy militia types. seems like we should do something about that

you, wise: you fool. the infant kidnapping and child rape camps are here to stay. as everyone knows, once a government agency starts doing a thing, there's no way for congress to stop it.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 19, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cant believe that people are being so extreme as to call to abolish ICE, a government agency without which our government would be unable to function. do these fools really understand what they are asking, to go back to the dark ages before ICE existed, the unremembered days of (checks notes) 2003

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shear Modulus posted:

cant believe that people are being so extreme as to call to abolish ICE, a government agency without which our government would be unable to function. do these fools really understand what they are asking, to go back to the dark ages before ICE existed, the unremembered days of (checks notes) 2003

ice performs many valuable non-deportation functions

those functions were reallocated to it in 2003, when it was created

the primary proposal put forth shuffles those functions to other agencies

you are not helping, but if you want to derive some more smug self-satisfaction from owning people, you do you

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

ice performs many valuable non-deportation functions

those functions were reallocated to it in 2003, when it was created

the primary proposal put forth shuffles those functions to other agencies

you are not helping, but if you want to derive some more smug self-satisfaction from owning people, you do you

what was the federal agency that was performing the function of kidnapping asylum-seeking babies and dragging infants to kangaroo courts before its responsibilities were absorbed into ICE.

i think it is possible and would in fact be a good thing for the US to have an agency or agencies that inspect shipments entering the country for contraband items like weapons and bombs and contaminants and invasive plant species, without said agency also running an operation where they kidnap children.

beyond that, your third sentence seems you are in favor of the most well-known "abolish ice" proposal? unless you are leaving unsaid a position that a) dismantling the government department called ICE, and dispersing its responsibilities that don't include mission creep into becoming a brownshirt organization, is in fact not abolishing ICE, the organization that was just eliminated, or b) that doing the above would be bad? not sure why you are calling me out for saying that a government unit that grossly overstepped its mandate and has committed human rights violations should be shut down and those human rights violations stopped.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There are ways of communicating that don't rely on so much hyperbole and invective language that would get people who already are on your side of stopping ICE camps to not seem like your enemy. Maybe you should try one of those out.

Zil posted:

Nah summer can be broken down to

Summer
Summer 2: With a Vengeance

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
We have a nice 6 month summer (some would consider it 8). To be fair, it's even hotter than normal this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

isk posted:

We have a nice 6 month summer (some would consider it 8). To be fair, it's even hotter than normal this year.

Hold SXSW in the dead of August so no one ever moves here again

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Seconded. Roast the obnoxious tourist techbros.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/1019939214346145792

Veasey is the only Texas Rep on this list. No Doggett, no Beto, no SJL, smfh

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/1019939214346145792

Veasey is the only Texas Rep on this list. No Doggett, no Beto, no SJL, smfh

Any idea why Beto isn't there? I'm like 90% sure he's campaigned on this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

Any idea why Beto isn't there? I'm like 90% sure he's campaigned on this.

Dunno, reporting says "It's expected to increase" but if you get contacted/canvassed by his campaign I'd advise people to bring it up. Doggett has been ahead of his party in terms of progressive stances so I'm actually more surprised he isn't in it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zil posted:

Normal seasons:
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter

Texas seasons:
Summer
DEATH SUMMER
Summer
...Fall?

Stay hydrated y'all.

zoux posted:

No loving Kidding. Austin should pass an ordinance forcing all festivals of a certain size to be in June, July or August. Hell, tell the shitheads in congress that it's about stopping the influx of liberal Californians and they might actively agree with/support Austin for once

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 19, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Or maybe they could accept that they're growing and start improving infrastructure and encouraging the growth of affordable housing instead of gentrifying everything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Or maybe they could accept that they're growing and start improving infrastructure and encouraging the growth of affordable housing instead of gentrifying everything.

We're talking about workable, realistic solutions here

Also, they want the California liberals in Austin so they can bang on about them.

Texas Trib editor:
https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/1019966382857912320

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 19, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1019658499771551744

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
God dammit interns, change his loving passwords and don't give him the new one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Speaking of Beto did he recently come out all gung-ho on impeachment and abolish ICE? I'd be pretty surprised but I've heard he's shifted from his squishier kinda comments before.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Speaking of Beto did he recently come out all gung-ho on impeachment and abolish ICE? I'd be pretty surprised but I've heard he's shifted from his squishier kinda comments before.

I definitely saw a DMN headline where he called for impeaching Trump after the Helsinki meeting, though I don't have a link handy

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Like, I know reality doesn't matter at all anymore, but "Tough as Texas"? Has anyone EVER thought of putting "Ted Cruz" and "Tough" in the same sentence before?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I definitely saw a DMN headline where he called for impeaching Trump after the Helsinki meeting, though I don't have a link handy

Here ya go: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/07/17/time-impeachment-says-beto-orourke-after-donald-trump-summit-russias-putin

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

That could be your only issue, and people would vote you in for mayor/city council.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Normal seasons:
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter

Texas seasons:
Summer
DEATH SUMMER
Summer
...Fall?

Stay hydrated y'all.

No loving Kidding. Austin should pass an ordinance forcing all festivals of a certain size to be in June, July or August. Hell, tell the shitheads in congress that it's about stopping the influx of liberal Californians and they might actively agree with/support Austin for once

Valley Seasons:

Get Ready to Burn (January-February)
ROAST TIME (Spring)
OH YEAH, WE ROASTIN' (Summer)
THIS TRAIN DON'T STOP (Fall)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
DFW officially recorded 108 yesterday which was a daily record, all time is 111. Supposed to get hotter this weekend.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
But if global warming, why snow? :thunk:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

But if global warming, why snow? :thunk:

It's 108 and snowing?

We got bigger problems than global warming folks

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Dameius posted:

DFW officially recorded 108 yesterday which was a daily record, all time is 111. Supposed to get hotter this weekend.

i want to die

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Makes the bike commute pretty hard, let me tell you.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

The Dipshit posted:

Right there with you on that one. I loathe having to go in to work with the heat the way it is.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

The Dipshit posted:

Someone on a bike in Houston just shot some doctor on a bike. Maybe everyone should just stay in doors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1020126181369229313

Surely this will get the legislature to act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Certified 5 alarm spicy!