Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

its called linux

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

android isn't gnu/linux but chromeos is

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

what rms means is, when people say "linux is bad" they actually mean "gnu is bad".

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
who's rms?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a measure of error

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

look in the mirror
you were the rms all along

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

within 2 years every apple peripheral, including cables, will run ios

this happened like 6 years ago. the lightning to hdmi dongle (aka the boondongle) ran a stripped down iOS

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

R epulsive
M usky
S cent

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I want a gnu free linux with the kernel built on clang, systemd and powershell just to piss rms off.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

I want a gnu free linux with the kernel built on clang, systemd and powershell just to piss rms off.

install powershell on android and you’ve got it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

install powershell on android

no don't

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

R epulsive
M usky
S cent

whoa whatever you say about rms he’s at least not a b*llionaire

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

waiting for godot across hardware and software generations

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

imo it's really a sign of the times that Apple's support policy for phones is seen as a mercy from the enlightened, and this is seen as "black lab sees shiny object" in comparison

maybe someday one will be able to buy a device with reasonable support options that are not dictated upon from high to the grovelling unworthy masses

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo it's really a sign of the times that Apple's support policy for phones is seen as a mercy from the enlightened, and this is seen as "black lab sees shiny object" in comparison

maybe someday one will be able to buy a device with reasonable support options that are not dictated upon from high to the grovelling unworthy masses

lol @ whatever you’re saying here

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

OldAlias posted:

it really is a jumble of words

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

OldAlias posted:

seriously what

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

continuing to support a product you sell is actually bad, i guess?????????????

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think what they're saying is they want decent consumer protection laws, but that's just unamerican as hell

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you have consumer protection laws then people won't be forced to buy something new when the thing they bought breaks, and that's p much communism

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

i think what they're saying is they want decent consumer protection laws, but that's just unamerican as hell

see also: worker's rights

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
america: the fundamental freedom to go gently caress yourself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a history of android and aosp, we did it because we were afraid someone else might have the dominant smart phone platform

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i like ron b/c hes the only fanboy who ever points out this kind of stuff but did google ever pretend like there was some other reason? from the moment schmidt saw the iphone in predevelopment wasnt the plan to cut off microsoft and rim from becoming the commodity pc to the iphones mac?

like isnt this just accepted history?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Piracy of the Google apps has increasingly become a problem, where companies take Chinese phones, load them with illicitly-downloaded Google apps, and sell them to international customers. At Ars, we were victims of this ourselves when we imported a Xiaomi Redmi 3 from China for review and were surprised to find it came with Google's services pre-installed. After posting the review and noting the weird inclusion of Google services that most likely did not work in China, a Xiaomi rep told us that "The Redmi 3 should not come with Google Play pre-installed because it is a China-only product. It is very likely that the Play store you saw was preinstalled by the importer/seller. This is a very common practice with the unauthorised importers." This would mean our reseller quietly opened our device, unlocked the bootloader, flashed on a new ROM with Google Play, re-locked the bootloader, and stuck it back in the box—all without telling us. Google's response to incidents like this was to block unauthorized Google app copies from logging in or accessing Google account data.
lmao

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

But to what end is this being done?

:confused:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

But to what end is this being done?

:confused:

yes for what possible reason could chinese hackers want your google account credentials

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

yes for what possible reason could chinese hackers want your google account credentials

Ah. Aynrandroid, lol.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol what a dumb idea hololens was

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is

it's not dead yet

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

and/or to be able to advertise the phone as "has Google Play!"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

i like ron b/c hes the only fanboy who ever points out this kind of stuff but did google ever pretend like there was some other reason? from the moment schmidt saw the iphone in predevelopment wasnt the plan to cut off microsoft and rim from becoming the commodity pc to the iphones mac?

like isnt this just accepted history?

the adroid fanboys frequently believe that it was made to fight apple, and all the open source freedom wankery. few have an understanding that the principal target was destroying Microsoft’s ability to sell a consumer OS in the phone world.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

and/or to be able to advertise the phone as "has Google Play!"
i think the best case scenario would be to prevent americans from complaining to ebay about how their phone is broken because google maps doesn't work, but doing it as surreptitiously as possible is very funny

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

i think the best case scenario would be to prevent americans from complaining to ebay about how their phone is broken because google maps doesn't work, but doing it as surreptitiously as possible is very funny

this is the dullest, most benign reason posted so far and imo probably the most likely one. it's not hard to build an automated ROM-flashing tool and i know some of those chinese phones have "good" spec numbers for how much they cost

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

the only Chinese android phone spec that matters is how many you can fit in a given dumpster before it goes on fire

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Partycat posted:

the only Chinese android phone spec that matters is how many you can fit in a given dumpster before it goes on fire

i mean the answer is 'one' but that shouldnt discourage anyone from trying more

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is the dullest, most benign reason posted so far and imo probably the most likely one. it's not hard to build an automated ROM-flashing tool and i know some of those chinese phones have "good" spec numbers for how much they cost

you don't even need to flash a rom, there are flashable gapps zips that you can download and it takes seconds to do. there is even an app to flash the files from within android so you wouldn't even need to do much work to automate it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

codo27 posted:

I know the rusty innards of phones are too precise and complex for this but how great would it be, okay I know there was that Robin or whatever its called and perhaps other modular phone projects, but if you could just go to a company's website and build your phone however you'd like it just like with a Dell computer. Okay, I want a decent SoC, biggest battery and best camera available and I'm not insane so 720p is fine for a screen the size of the palm of my hand if it means better battery life. Afaic (can I make that a new thing subbing I'm concerned for I know?) I think if the market wasn't ruined with apple keeping peoples expectations low and samsung using apple as their model, and them both making up such a stupid portion of the market, you could see some advancement and they might actually try to find a way to get 3 day+ battery. And the Pixel 2 currently represents near the top of the line, pure android and its still fairly slow for me. Slows to a crawl way too often. None of my PCs ever slow down for anything because I spend the money for a decent CPU, enough RAM and a SSD. But simple poo poo on android still isn't as snappy as I feel it should be. Some of these phones now cost as much or more than my Surface Pro 3 which is now 4 years old and the thing is still butter. But simple social media apps on $1000 phones cause stutters and freezes. Bullshit. End rant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles