Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Do the marriage participants have to be willing? Are there limits to how many you can marry at once?

yes, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Do the marriage participants have to be willing? Are there limits to how many you can marry at once?

Have to be willing, only two at a time, but you can chain marry people. There are stat benefits that last 7 days after and you can't benefit again unless widowed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Charm them then annul after bonuses run out

Or kill/raise

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

mango sentinel posted:

Have to be willing, only two at a time, but you can chain marry people. There are stat benefits that last 7 days after and you can't benefit again unless widowed.

I'm seeing "You touch adult humanoids willing to be bonded together in marriage," so idk why you cant just marry the whole party at once or as many people as you can touch simultaneously. Does the touch part limit it to two because of hands or can we do four at once using feet? What if people are touching you? How many people can touch a medium humanoid at once? Someone start tweeting at Crawford.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaysette posted:

I'm seeing "You touch adult humanoids willing to be bonded together in marriage," so idk why you cant just marry the whole party at once or as many people as you can touch simultaneously. Does the touch part limit it to two because of hands or can we do four at once using feet? What if people are touching you? How many people can touch a medium humanoid at once? Someone start tweeting at Crawford.
Bunch of naked people in a pile, one of them shouts "We're married!"
- Ed Greenwood, probably

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

The Gate posted:

I mean that's basically the entire premise of ToA/ToH, so.....yes? "Rocks fall, everyone dies" is a trope for a reason.

Yes for ToH. I thought ToA was a little more advanced and that kind of play style was tossed in light of 40+ years of advancement in table top gaming. I get it's an homage/remake of ToH, but I assumed they would improve it, not just hand you a poo poo dungeon crawl after a year of dinosaur jungle hex crawl, political faction warfare and crazy poo poo floating around. I told our DM I had more fun exploring Chult and finding crazy stuff than "You enter a room with a trap" over and over again.

If I was designing ToA, I'd take everything after Omu and just throw it in the nearest trash bin.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It probably varies with the expectations of the group since my players are having a great time figuring out the puzzles and nearly (or actually) dying to the traps within the Tomb.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My brain was inserting "two" I guess because you've only got two hands, but so long as you're making some kind of contract I guess the sky's the limit

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mormonpartyboat posted:

a pact of the tome warlock following the guidance of his patron cake boss

My past warlock experience loves this idea. It would even be an excuse for a Fiend pact "Because you use fire in baking, duh".

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm not saying you can't do this in D&D but there are systems way better suited to it.

To be fair, this is the only reason I would do it in D&D

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mango sentinel posted:

My brain was inserting "two" I guess because you've only got two hands, but so long as you're making some kind of contract I guess the sky's the limit

Actually, I’m a thri-kreen justice of the peace.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This may be a tall order, but does anyone remember the name of the 2E monster that's a gigantic worm-like thing that tunnels through the Underdark by melting stone? It's not the thoqqua: they're much bigger, Purple Worm scale, and aren't elementals. As I recall they're not even hostile, they're just big burrowing things that were used as one of the explanations for why the Underdark is the way it is.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kestral posted:

This may be a tall order, but does anyone remember the name of the 2E monster that's a gigantic worm-like thing that tunnels through the Underdark by melting stone? It's not the thoqqua: they're much bigger, Purple Worm scale, and aren't elementals. As I recall they're not even hostile, they're just big burrowing things that were used as one of the explanations for why the Underdark is the way it is.

Lukhorn?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kestral posted:

I'd guess delvers, but it says they only showed up for 3e and they're a little small.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Quick question: Which is better to focus on in earlier levels: ASIs or Feats? The character I'm going to be playing in an upcoming game is going to require some multiclassing for narrative reasons and, as a result, there's going to be a bigger than normal gap between my second and third ASI so I want to know which I should prioritize. Stats were made with standard point buy.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

KingKalamari posted:

Quick question: Which is better to focus on in earlier levels: ASIs or Feats? The character I'm going to be playing in an upcoming game is going to require some multiclassing for narrative reasons and, as a result, there's going to be a bigger than normal gap between my second and third ASI so I want to know which I should prioritize. Stats were made with standard point buy.

It depends on what kind of character you're playing.

Paladin? Go for Pole Arm Master, it'll give you more chances to hit, to SMIIIIIIIIIITE.

Casters? Unless you really think you'll need war-caster, bumping up your base magic casting stat is always good.

Distance fighter? Sharp Shooter is pretty golden.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

PicklePants posted:

It depends on what kind of character you're playing.

Paladin? Go for Pole Arm Master, it'll give you more chances to hit, to SMIIIIIIIIIITE.

Casters? Unless you really think you'll need war-caster, bumping up your base magic casting stat is always good.

Distance fighter? Sharp Shooter is pretty golden.

Gonna have to use spoiler-text on the specifics since I'm using the same username with the group I'm playing with and want to keep my character plans a secret:

I'm going Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler) and Warlock 17 (Fiend, Pact of the Chain). Basically going to be a mix of melee and casting with a little imp buddy to help me out. The three feats I was looking at were War Caster (Because Melee and magic) Resilient WIS (For better Wis saves) and Lucky (Because it's just a useful feat overall). That leaves me with a single ASI which is going to CHA to bring me to 19. My DEX is respectable at 16 but I'm wondering if I'd be better off ditching Lucky to bring it up to 18 instead?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What's are some good level 1 intro adventures that I can do in one session?

I've seen Harried in Hillsfar tossed around, but I don't know anything else. I was originally going to do Sunless Citadel but I kinda want something we can finish up in one or two sessions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

KingKalamari posted:

Gonna have to use spoiler-text on the specifics since I'm using the same username with the group I'm playing with and want to keep my character plans a secret:

I'm going Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler) and Warlock 17 (Fiend, Pact of the Chain). Basically going to be a mix of melee and casting with a little imp buddy to help me out. The three feats I was looking at were War Caster (Because Melee and magic) Resilient WIS (For better Wis saves) and Lucky (Because it's just a useful feat overall). That leaves me with a single ASI which is going to CHA to bring me to 19. My DEX is respectable at 16 but I'm wondering if I'd be better off ditching Lucky to bring it up to 18 instead?

I'd be wary of planning character progression to 20 because games rarely get that far. Hell they rarely get into the teens.

This multiclass isn't good for what you're planning - you are capping your melee capabilities at 2d6 sneak attack, so there's no reason to ever get in melee, as Eldritch Blast is going to be both same/better damage and safer to use.

mango sentinel posted:

I've seen Harried in Hillsfar tossed around, but I don't know anything else. I was originally going to do Sunless Citadel but I kinda want something we can finish up in one or two sessions.

You can finish Sunless Citadel in two sessions, but "good level 1 adventure" is an oxymoron.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Some of the best advice I've seen for level 1 adventures:

a.) They should be short, more like intros than proper adventures. Give players opportunities to make small choices to solidify their characters and build familiarity with game concepts.
b.) Monsters should deal 1 damage on a hit, 2 on a crit, period. Maybe 3 or 4 if you're feeling really spicy. Don't pick up a die for damage, that 's probably the way of madness. Better yet, they don't deal damage at all but inflict annoying conditions.
c.) They should be fairly self-contained.

Level 1 characters really don't have enough oomph to get through a 'typical' adventuring day, so a 'level 1 adventure' that is done in official material tends to be too long and inflict too much harm on the characters. Death House is okay! It's not amazing and it has some serious problems in the basement but the first half is perfectly fine.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

DDAL 05-01 is decent for a level one single session intro. It’s a bunch of miniquests so read the different paths and do the ones you like best or that you’d want the party to choose between.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'd be wary of planning character progression to 20 because games rarely get that far. Hell they rarely get into the teens.

Oh, I'm totally aware of that. I just like going all-in with character planning. We're going to be playing through Curse of Strahd so, should we follow through with the whole adventure, we're going to at least level 10.

Conspiratiorist posted:

This multiclass isn't good for what you're planning - you are capping your melee capabilities at 2d6 sneak attack, so there's no reason to ever get in melee, as Eldritch Blast is going to be both same/better damage and safer to use.

You raise a good point: Would I get something more along the lines of what I'm looking for with An even 10/10 split? I just want to get stabbity with my imp buddy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Mango Sentinel is that Zero Suit Samus and what is the red thing distracting her?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rick posted:

Mango Sentinel is that Zero Suit Samus and what is the red thing distracting her?
Yes and a bird butt

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

mango sentinel posted:

A Most Potent Brew on DMs Guild is pretty good.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Unless you have specific narrative needs to the contrary, all level 1 game intro sessions should either be to prevent or perform a minor heist.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Unless you have specific narrative needs to the contrary, all level 1 game intro sessions should either be to prevent or perform a minor heist.

Preferably starting mid-way through it imo.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I've seen Harried in Hillsfar tossed around, but I don't know anything else.

My recollection of running this for AL a couple of years ago is that it isn't a very good adventure.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

KingKalamari posted:

Oh, I'm totally aware of that. I just like going all-in with character planning. We're going to be playing through Curse of Strahd so, should we follow through with the whole adventure, we're going to at least level 10.

You raise a good point: Would I get something more along the lines of what I'm looking for with An even 10/10 split? I just want to get stabbity with my imp buddy.

If all you really care for is the Imp familiar, then go only 3 Warlock levels for Chain pact, grabbing Booming Blade, Devil's Sight, Darkness, and whatever other spells and an invocation that look nice. If you're not married to Fiend (any patron lets you summon an Imp) you could also go Hexblade for medium armor and specially shield proficiency which would be nice.

Rest goes back in Swash, and ASIs into maxing DEX, after which you can get the generally useful stuff (Resilient, Lucky, Alert, Tough).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Rick posted:

It's Kazooie's rear end. You... Had to be in the SGDQ thread.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thanks for the input thread! I grabbed A Most Potent Brew and Death House. A brew most potent is probably closer to what I should run but Death House is way cooler even if it's needlessly huge for what it is.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

What monster would be a not terrible analogue to the Heaven Smiles from Killer7 if I were to make what is absolutely a modified sword and sorcery D&D version of the Cloudman stage?

My best guess is a modified basic undead that's slower, has a condition for instant death, and only attacks via a survivable desperation self-destruct.

I am aware this is probably a terrible idea for 5E or even in general but it entered my mind and now it won't leave until I someday am doing my best Southern Cam Clarke impression at the table.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Trojan Kaiju posted:

What monster would be a not terrible analogue to the Heaven Smiles from Killer7 if I were to make what is absolutely a modified sword and sorcery D&D version of the Cloudman stage?

My best guess is a modified basic undead that's slower, has a condition for instant death, and only attacks via a survivable desperation self-destruct.

I am aware this is probably a terrible idea for 5E or even in general but it entered my mind and now it won't leave until I someday am doing my best Southern Cam Clarke impression at the table.

My ranger at your table popping off headshots: "YOU'RE hosed! YOU'RE hosed! YOU'RE hosed!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Glagha posted:

It's Kazooie's rear end. You... Had to be in the SGDQ thread.

I seem to pay every year for not making time for SGDQ watching.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KingKalamari posted:

Are you locked into fiend? Hexblade means you can cap your dex at 14 and then go full charisma. If you just want to stab with a demon friend I'd skip the rogue bit entirely and just go full hexblade + chain, grabbing all the hexblade invocations

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

How do you guys handle feats with your players? We're done rolling for Lost Mines and I've not offered any feats at all. Back in 4e I remember picking them when building a character but I'm not seeing anything like that in 5th. Is it something as a DM I should reward based on what happens in story?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tote up a bags posted:

How do you guys handle feats with your players? We're done rolling for Lost Mines and I've not offered any feats at all. Back in 4e I remember picking them when building a character but I'm not seeing anything like that in 5th. Is it something as a DM I should reward based on what happens in story?

By default, players don't have feats. They are technically an optional rule.

If you enable them, whenever a character earns an "Ability Score Improvement", they can forego that, and take a feat instead.

All classes earn their first ASI at level 4, so that will also be the first time that players can trade it out for their first feat, unless they multi-class, or unless they use the Variant Human, which gives them a feat at level 1.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

gradenko_2000 posted:

By default, players don't have feats. They are technically an optional rule.

If you enable them, whenever a character earns an "Ability Score Improvement", they can forego that, and take a feat instead.

All classes earn their first ASI at level 4, so that will also be the first time that players can trade it out for their first feat, unless they multi-class, or unless they use the Variant Human, which gives them a feat at level 1.

Ok sweet I like this a lot. No Variant Humans in the party so this is something we can deal with at level 4 :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose I should mention that:

because getting 20 in your primary stat is really quite important
and because it's going to take two to three ASIs just to get there
and because most classes only every see four ASIs, ever, and probably less since games never go to level 20
and because multi-classing will delay ASIs even further

it's a fairly common houserule for DMs to offer both a feat and an ASI when the ASI comes up, and going as far as offering a feat at level 1. No pressure though, you seem to have a good pace, I'm just being overly verbose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tote up a bags posted:

Ok sweet I like this a lot. No Variant Humans in the party so this is something we can deal with at level 4 :)
*bursts through the door gasping and wheezing* actually *cough hack* it's bad