Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Feels kinda icky

https://twitter.com/repmattgaetz/status/1019969624853696513?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gently caress is weigel doing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nickhimself posted:

100% of these people in positions of political power that object to investigations into election fraud, espionage, treason, or anything that is a direct threat to democracy need to be charged with high treason and issued the death penalty. They are not Americans, they are criminals who wish us to become Russia 2.0 feat. DJ Dotus and it needs to loving stop right now. Stop fighting about political affiliation or worrying Mr. Baby Pants is gonna be sad that Putin's in trouble again. When anyone is attempting to influence our democracy to their desire it needs to be met with the highest degree of concern and response.

Sticking up for the NRA like this after what's come to light this week should be considered a crime.

They are all complicit, buddy. :itwaspoo:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaetz declared yesterday that InfoWars is bad and no one should go on it. I don't know what's going on with him but he seems to be trying to reposition himself as someone other than the guy who invited Chuck Johnson to the State of the Union.

It may or may not have something to do with the fact that he probably got hacked info from Aaron Nevins (which probably wasn't illegal)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1019991668806901762

https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/1019920998412505088

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

eke out posted:

Gaetz declared yesterday that InfoWars is bad and no one should go on it. I don't know what's going on with him but he seems to be trying to reposition himself as someone other than the guy who invited Chuck Johnson to the State of the Union.

It may or may not have something to do with the fact that he probably got hacked info from Aaron Nevins (which probably wasn't illegal)

I don't think he deserves a chance for rehabilitation

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I've done this twice so far on this board, going into much greater detail. I know how to read an actuarial life expectancy table, and can do the math. I'll probably do it again next year when they get one year older.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

the gently caress is weigel doing.

hes been cozying up to Republicans since 2016 lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

agreed. and i'm not so sure about WaPo's geniusbrain pivot to Twitch

Siljmonster posted:

hes been cozying up to Republicans since 2016 lol

he's been a republican beat writer for a decade+, it's his thing and why he's very well-sourced in that world

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Trump has a photographic memory of journalists who said something critical of him 10 years ago.

eke out posted:

What's one more piece of poo poo on the House floor?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 19, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rinkles posted:

I will make fun of him all day everyday for being a law and order politican with a DUI record and a funny mugshot, but if he actually starts making rumbliings about actually doing something it wouldn't exactly hurt.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 19, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have to say I'm at a bit of confused as to why Rand is so pro-Russia-Trump. I know he's a horrible person but usually his motivation is crystal clear (the crystal is poo poo-colored but still clear).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If OH 12 flips I would expect a new round of late Republican retirements. It would be comically bad for them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

DaveWoo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1019951828534951936

Oh hey, another round of handouts to billionaires, cool, cool

Oh look, a blatant midterms bribery attempt.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Radish posted:

Before you guys rile yourselves up into Red Scare 2.0 you might want to read Ted Devine's resume on wikipedia unless you think Claire McCaskill is also a secret commie.

Dude, if the Russians were actually communists we wouldn't be in this position. Even the Soviets didn't really qualify as communists, they just traded one set of oligarchs (the Tzars) for another (the Party). After the fall of the Soviet system when Yeltzen overthrew Gorbachev they went hard right Authoritarian, when Putin took power he essentially turned the Russian federation into a kleptocracy, government by a gangster.

The Right in the United States want to do essentially the same thing just with different capos.

This is what annoys me with any leftists poo pooing the idea of Russian interference or justifying it due to the United States less than stellar record with regard to human rights, Say what you like but most of the pressure on the worst abusers of human rights has come from the United States, and the bulk of the really awful poo poo has been because of the very people that the Russians are supporting (aka the Republicans).

We're not fighting communism we're fighting Fascism.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

I have to say I'm at a bit of confused as to why Rand is so pro-Russia-Trump. I know he's a horrible person but usually his motivation is crystal clear (the crystal is poo poo-colored but still clear).

the new most libertarianer-than-thou guy in the house called him out last night lol

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1019752572368941057

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I know it’s super obvious to most people who have been D&D regulars for years and make jokes about conservative brain worms, but why isn’t anyone in the media questioning why Russia would specifically target conservatives? Isn’t there a super obvious story there? I feel like this will slowly make its way out to the public, once records are shared which document Russia specifically targeting conservatives, almost as if...they have been primed by years of propogabda from...somewhere. Can’t figure where though. Like there might be an entire ecosystem making them ripe for manipulation...odd.

It reminds me of the story about the Florida couple who held a pro Trump mock trial if Hillary, which it turned it was orchestrated by Russians. When they presented the couple with the evidence that the man they thought they was an American was actually Russian, one of them doubled down and refused to believe it, the other felt real dumb and confused.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If OH 12 flips I would expect a new round of late Republican retirements. It would be comically bad for them.

Well this is a Republican "retirement". It's Tiberi's seat.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The most mysterious thing is why would Bernie Sanders hire someone like Tom Devine? A history of working for losing establishment candidates just doesn't make sense. :shrug:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

DaveWoo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1019951828534951936

Oh hey, another round of handouts to billionaires, cool, cool

NO BILLIONAIRE LEFT BEHIND

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Money and power.
Rand Paul thinks he will be on top if we go full libertarian.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The most mysterious thing is why would Bernie Sanders hire someone like Tom Devine? A history of working for losing establishment candidates just doesn't make sense. :shrug:

Or, you know, murderous almost-dictators.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

paternity suitor posted:

I know it’s super obvious to most people who have been D&D regulars for years and make jokes about conservative brain worms, but why isn’t anyone in the media questioning why Russia would specifically target conservatives?

They are the least educated political affiliation. They also happen to be the most prone to believing what's presented to them absent any evidence for the claims.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VanguardFelix posted:

:fuckoff:

Even with all the outrage fatigue this man manages to cause visceral rage still. GOP election meddling is not a loving pretense for disenfranchising even more minorities.

Democarts should call them on their bullshit. Make a national voter ID, Free and mandatory for every citizen issued when they turn 18. Take their loving excuses away.

Honestly that needs to be a top priority for 2020, election reform. National voting ID that is provided for free to every citizen, tie it to their social security number. National election standards regarding access to poling locations, regulations governing standards of voting systems including security standards and audit capabilities (paper trail) best practices and procurement guidelines (no farming out to foreign companies Russian or otherwise) , national holiday for voting.

It should honestly have been job 1 in 2009 after the disaster of the Bush years. It definitely needs to be after 2016.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

happyhippy posted:

Money and power.
Rand Paul thinks he will be on top if we go full libertarian.

Guy who got beat up over some leaves thinks he's a libertarian superman.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's very stupid that removal doesn't automatically trigger a special election everywhere.

A special election this close to the real election is also a waste for everyone involved.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tibalt posted:

Oh, walt, this is from his previous Ukrainian work.

Yeah, never mind, just a weird coincidence. I thought this was saying Devine communicated while the Bernie campaign manager.

Unfortunately this could end up like Strzok -- it's potentially a new avenue for whataboutism.

Sure Manafort but what about Bernie!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

genius president

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1019991761366773760

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Or, you know, murderous almost-dictators.

I was going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume he left that little detail off his resume.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao they even have to defend his sincerity

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1020002604313608192

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Drone posted:

AZ law requires the governor to pick a replacement from the party that the person they're replacing belonged to at the time of his or her election.

Yeah they could pick the most liberal Republican around but the (R) by their name still carries weight when it comes to defining majority/minority.

I'll register as a republican, and Garcia can nominate me. I'll be the one-term republican senator from Arizona co-sponsoring medicare for all bills.

(Meanwhile Kyrsten Sinema, who is likely to take Flake's seat in November, will be the elected democrat supporting 50% of Republican initiatives.)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I really don’t understand anything about the Fed aside from the fact that it makes libertarians really really angry.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is she dumb?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Skex posted:

Dude, if the Russians were actually communists we wouldn't be in this position. Even the Soviets didn't really qualify as communists, they just traded one set of oligarchs (the Tzars) for another (the Party). After the fall of the Soviet system when Yeltzen overthrew Gorbachev they went hard right Authoritarian, when Putin took power he essentially turned the Russian federation into a kleptocracy, government by a gangster.

Yeah, people in the West aren’t really aware of this unless they follow Russian history but Brezhnev and the insane corruption under his tenure probably had more to do with the transformation of the USSR into modern Russia than anything Reagan or Gorbachev did.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Why would he hire someone with a large amount of experience, you say

(Also, Bernie wasn't initially trying to win. And by the time he started trying, it was too late)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Skimming the last page of new posts, dem wave means nothing if the media flips red.

Non regressives media consumers have to constantly give give journos and their prgs a piece of their own mind and tell them what they want investigated/reported . If there's butter tell them to gently caress off.
Like there's multiple fronts and there needs to be non regressive pressure on all of them.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Skex posted:

Honestly that needs to be a top priority for 2020, election reform. National voting ID that is provided for free to every citizen, tie it to their social security number. National election standards regarding access to poling locations, regulations governing standards of voting systems including security standards and audit capabilities (paper trail) best practices and procurement guidelines (no farming out to foreign companies Russian or otherwise) , national holiday for voting.

This is not a Nothing Matters post, but we all need to brace ourselves against the possibility of all this happening and then being struck down as unconstitutional by SCOTUS. Red states will crawl over broken glass to make the argument that they have the right to disenfranchise minorities if they want to and the SCOTUS will back them on it.

poo poo is very bleak on this front.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1019982360169926656

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unfortunately this could end up like Strzok -- it's potentially a new avenue for whataboutism.

Sure Manafort but what about Bernie!

They would make something up along these lines anyway. Just vote them out and don't worry about their feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

But it was a "spectacular" deal...

• Locked thread