Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

I don't doubt that many enjoyed it, but apparently the complaints about the deaths (crying children were reportedly involved) were bad enough that Hasbro delayed the release of GI Joe The Movie so that Duke won't die anymore. Then Transformers flopped dramatically and they never show GI Joe in theaters.

Apparently they were genuinely shocked that people actually cared about characters like Optimus Prime dying and didn't consider them to be just machines.

Also, I've heard the GI Joe movie was pretty meh for a number of reasons, but its intro is still amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ah2I166f_U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The GI Joe movie was pretty wild since it took the soldiers vs terrorists conflict of the series and suddenly add a heaping dose of ancient Lovecraftian civilisations and body horror.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

The GI Joe movie was pretty wild since it took the soldiers vs terrorists conflict of the series and suddenly add a heaping dose of ancient Lovecraftian civilisations and body horror.

http://bogleech.com/cobrala.html

Comes to mind. They went loving wild with it.

(warning; nerds getting horny. Though I think H R Giger showed us early that body horror and biotechnology is pretty inherently horny)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This is for a tv show but if you haven't seen it you'll soon understand why it's being posted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dIwGAYcWk

Iron Crowned posted:

the 1986 Transformers movie is a legit good movie, and I will have no one denigrating it.

It rules hard

The MSJ posted:

I don't doubt that many enjoyed it, but apparently the complaints about the deaths (crying children were reportedly involved) were bad enough that Hasbro delayed the release of GI Joe The Movie so that Duke won't die anymore. Then Transformers flopped dramatically and they never show GI Joe in theaters.

As one of the kids who was literally crying in the theater when Optimus Prime died it was true, but I also loved the movie enough I probably rented it 10 times from the video store after that (and bought a bootleg vhs of it later when it was out of print for years, it was one of my first dvds)

Iron Crowned posted:

I was 5 at the time and I thought it owned. Hell yeah I cried when Optimus Primed died, and I still loved it then.

Same! Everyone at my school saw it, cried, still wanted to see it many more times.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Also a Godzilla teaser was posted briefly yesterday and yanked down because you could see the cameraman in one of the shots

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also a Godzilla teaser was posted briefly yesterday and yanked down because you could see the cameraman in one of the shots

That owns.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That Titans trailer is not available over here so spill that can of beans, please.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Didn't want to spoil the reveal of Kaiju Cameraman

Mierenneuker posted:

That Titans trailer is not available over here so spill that can of beans, please.

There is a sequence where some goons in an alley bark out "Where's Batman" before being dispatched by Robin (with some gunfire involved,) who then quips "gently caress Batman."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

JethroMcB posted:

There is a sequence where some goons in an alley bark out "Where's Batman" before being dispatched by Robin (with some gunfire involved,) who then quips "gently caress Batman."

I guess that DC universe joke in Deadpool 2 was spot on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Please tell me SOMEBODY saved and posted this!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, I've heard the GI Joe movie was pretty meh for a number of reasons, but its intro is still amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ah2I166f_U
that's retarded as hell and i love it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tars Tarkas posted:

This is for a tv show but if you haven't seen it you'll soon understand why it's being posted here
How did DC accidentally upload a terrible fan film with Teen Titans branding?
How many chuds will break their fingers posting about how Kory isnt a beautiful nordic supermodel?
Why did they decide Robin should be the older mentor instead of a peer?

So many questions!

Mierenneuker posted:

DC's Grimdark Titans.

Robin is like a 20something social worker or attorney and still dresses in the tactilol Drake Robin suit to beat up guys (sticks a birdarang in someone's neck).
Raven in a runaway teen in search of someone to help control THE DARKNESS inside of her
(Rav: My mother used to say there's no such thing as monsters...
Robin: I used to think that... BUT SHE'S WRONG). She has a decent grounded look and then it goes all terrible white skin when HER POWAH emerges (dark power looks like it manifests as screamo yells and some haze)
Starfire has cool curly hair and is a walking CGI effect, and also she may be played by (gasp) a person of color so RiP poor actress' internet account once the misogynist internet finds out.
Gar is green with his white/red suit and... doesnt look that good.
Also I think I saw famously pacifist Dove from Hawk/Dove slide the gently caress out of mooks with her cool wingblade cape :confused:

Everything looks like a bad fan film.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 19, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Titans looks awful and yeah half of that looks like a really bad fan film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they were genuinely shocked that people actually cared about characters like Optimus Prime dying and didn't consider them to be just machines.

A) That's sick as hell and no superhero movie has had an action scene that dynamic and coherent
B) That unproduced Watchmen adaptation from yesteryear opened with a super lame version of the same scene. So close that it feels like it had to be an intentional riff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mierenneuker posted:

There's already a bunch of different uploads on youtube, I'm guessing they're not geo-locked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rWiM1BQ5E

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I saw it with my babysitter who was my mom's friend from church and the one robot said "poo poo" and she pulled me out of the theater and it ruled

lmao I've seen Transformers: the Last Knight twice since it started streaming and the robots call each other "dickheads" and "punk-rear end bitch" like 20+ times

TetsuoTW posted:

that's retarded as hell and i love it

The G.I-Joe movie is loving amazing. There's a lost ancient city of serpent-men right out of a Robert E. Howard story, Cobra Commander gets devolved into some kind of blue snake gollum thing, and the big rewrite amounts to them adding a line from offscreen "Duke's gonna be okay, everybody!"

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

AngryBooch posted:

I see they dropped the Cloverfield name from Overlord. Poisoned that well pretty quick.

Reading 'The Big Picture' on the Hollywood evolution franchises one of the main themes is that Sony and Paramount are getting hammered for lack of franchises.

So I really couldn't believe Paramount burned one of their remaining profitable franchises to make a quick netflix buck

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Re: Tomb Raider box office from awhile ago, Blind Gossip rumors a sequel is in the works but it might get downgraded to streaming and either way Vikander would probably not return in the role: http://blindgossip.com/?p=92696

Do I smell a Tomb Clover crossover in the works?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Of all the things that movie did wrong, the worst was absolutely wasting Walton Goggins

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

Re: Tomb Raider box office from awhile ago, Blind Gossip rumors a sequel is in the works but it might get downgraded to streaming and either way Vikander would probably not return in the role: http://blindgossip.com/?p=92696

How do you blow it so badly when you're basing it off of an action movie template as awesome as the Tomb Raider 2013, like that game absolutely rules on multiple levels.

But hey let's have her spend an hour and a half deciding whether or not to even GO on a trip to an island?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tomb Raider: A series renowned for its protagonist hesitating to explore things and get into adventures.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Tomb Raider: A series renowned for its protagonist hesitating to explore things and get into adventures.

Tomb Later

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would be amusing if this meant Vikander was replaced by Camilla Luddington, who plays Lara's VA in the games and is not too old for the role.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's still not as bad as the DOOM movie being over 100 minutes long and spending half of its time being about scientists and marines arguing about genetic mutation though. They even made some really good practical monster suits and animatronic things and stuff for that flick but of course only use them in the movie for a few seconds.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thundercracker posted:

Reading 'The Big Picture' on the Hollywood evolution franchises one of the main themes is that Sony and Paramount are getting hammered for lack of franchises.

So I really couldn't believe Paramount burned one of their remaining profitable franchises to make a quick netflix buck

The franchise was already burned all on its own, 10 Cloverfield Lane performed pretty badly and made less money than their lovely 2014 Hercules movie. On the other hand the production budget was only $15 million so it had a really, really low bar to cross so I guess it did okay considering.

They probably did okay on the Netflix deal compared to how much they would have made releasing Cloverfield Paradox to cinemas.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's already a bunch of different uploads on youtube, I'm guessing they're not geo-locked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rWiM1BQ5E

The only way I'm watching that is if they have a Doom Patrol episode.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
drat. I mean to cut them some slack the classic Titans comics really are that OTT-melodramatic if you want to adapt them faithfully but that Robin bit is so hilariously tone-deaf. "Look! We're on cable now! BLOODSPRAY! BONE CRUNCH! gently caress BATMAN!"

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Speaking of video game movies about the origin stories of adventuring grave robbers, are they still doing that Uncharted movie with Tom Holland as young Nathan Drake? I know it will probably have the same problems as the last Tomb Raider movie, where it mainly just feels like its setting up for a franchise rather than just having the hero do hero stuff, but I still kind of hope it happens.

I'm only reminded of this because of that awful pandering fan film with Nathan Fillion that was released recently. It did solidify the idea that I don't want Fillion as Nathan Drake, since seeing him just play a second rate version of his Firefly character probably isn't the most interesting decision. But Tom Holland as a baby Indiana Jones? I could get into that as long as it's not the snore-fest that was the Young Indiana Jones tv series.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only way I'm watching that is if they have a Doom Patrol episode.

Doom Patrol is getting its own show on the same DC Streaming service

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
So did DC forget about Jason Todd before they decided to make Nightwing into Red Hood? He is a former Robin who's entire schtick is "gently caress batman *bone crunch sound effect*".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harime Nui posted:

drat. I mean to cut them some slack the classic Titans comics really are that OTT-melodramatic if you want to adapt them faithfully but that Robin bit is so hilariously tone-deaf. "Look! We're on cable now! BLOODSPRAY! BONE CRUNCH! gently caress BATMAN!"

It honestly feels like a joke out of Teen Titans Go.

“TITANS! It has been brought to my attention that people don’t like us because we’re too goofy! Look at what other superheroes are doing! Superman’s snapping necks! Batman is throwing cars at people! We need to get DARK! AND VIOLENT!”

“So what do you suggest we do?”

“We need guuuuuuuns.”

“Uh, what would Batman—“

“FFFFFFFFFORGET BATMAN! WE NEED TO BE POPULAR! POPPPPUUUUUULAAAAAAR!”

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

lelandjs posted:

It honestly feels like a joke out of Teen Titans Go.

They've done Serious Titans, and it was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH8aXw9Qhzk

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
As someone who legit loves the classic Titans storylines from 1980-1985, they are way too fixed in a weird moment in time where DC comics was very seriously trying to shake off the silliness of the Silver Age but still attached to it in a bunch of ways. Like Superman was still the goofy Pre-Crisis version who lives in a mansion in the Arctic with a hundred robot replicas of himself, the Golden Age versions of the characters all literally existed in a parallel universe and would meet their younger counterparts for Thanksgiving dinner, etc. It's against this background you have the Titans as DC's attempt to imitate the soap opera dramatics and "realism" that was making X-Men a huge hit at the time----so they all live in a giant building shaped like a letter T, but it's in Manhattan not some made-up city, just like yer Marvel comics! Every original Titan (Raven, Starfire, Cyborg----technically 'Beast Boy' was around beforehand but they renamed him 'Changeling' and p. much made him a new character) has a novel-length backstory stuffed with as much tragedy as possible: family wiped out, sold into slavery, daughter of Dimension X Satan---just really laid on thick to show you these aren't yer dad's comics!---but they're still comics of their era stuffed full of corny narration, long thought-bubble soliloquys, and corny one-liners. I love them but they could really only have ever existed at that particular moment in time and even if half the characters (Wally West, Deathstroke, Cyborg etc) weren't long since poached for other properties/series you could never really do a faithful translation of them today.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

FilthyImp posted:

How did DC accidentally upload a terrible fan film with Teen Titans branding?
How many chuds will break their fingers posting about how Kory isnt a beautiful nordic supermodel?
Why did they decide Robin should be the older mentor instead of a peer?

So many questions!

DC's Grimdark Titans.

Robin is like a 20something social worker or attorney and still dresses in the tactilol Drake Robin suit to beat up guys (sticks a birdarang in someone's neck).
Raven in a runaway teen in search of someone to help control THE DARKNESS inside of her
(Rav: My mother used to say there's no such thing as monsters...
Robin: I used to think that... BUT SHE'S WRONG). She has a decent grounded look and then it goes all terrible white skin when HER POWAH emerges (dark power looks like it manifests as screamo yells and some haze)
Starfire has cool curly hair and is a walking CGI effect, and also she may be played by (gasp) a person of color so RiP poor actress' internet account once the misogynist internet finds out.
Gar is green with his white/red suit and... doesnt look that good.
Also I think I saw famously pacifist Dove from Hawk/Dove slide the gently caress out of mooks with her cool wingblade cape :confused:

Everything looks like a bad fan film.

https://youtu.be/r5VXwiSpRFo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TetsuoTW posted:

that depends, to you mean by the people it was aimed at or the 1986 equivalent of the fuckwits mad they can't cum to she-ra now?

I wonder if there were guys in the 80s who were huge fans of the original Mighty Mouse cartoons by Terrytoons and wanted Ralph Bakshi to RESIGN IMMEDIATELY because they were OUTRAGED by Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the box office reports for last weekend were saying that Skyscraper underperformed expectations: leads me to wonder, is that indicative that Dwayne Johnson's star power is overstated, or is it more of an indication that star power really doesn't count for anything unless it's combined with some existing property people are interested in?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

All the box office reports for last weekend were saying that Skyscraper underperformed expectations: leads me to wonder, is that indicative that Dwayne Johnson's star power is overstated, or is it more of an indication that star power really doesn't count for anything unless it's combined with some existing property people are interested in?

The Rock has never really been a leading man.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don’t think the problem is The Rock, I think it’s that the film had no hook. Other than the cast there nothing to differentiate it from a made-for-tv TNT presentation starring Dean Cain.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if there were guys in the 80s who were huge fans of the original Mighty Mouse cartoons by Terrytoons and wanted Ralph Bakshi to RESIGN IMMEDIATELY because they were OUTRAGED by Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. :v:

I'd bet good money on it. It might not even be too difficult to find, I think a few fanzines from that era have been archived online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fart City posted:

I don’t think the problem is The Rock, I think it’s that the film had no hook. Other than the cast there nothing to differentiate it from a made-for-tv TNT presentation starring Dean Cain.

I'd also say that the trailer basically told the entire movie.