Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Saxophone posted:

Does physical damage work the same as elemental? Because I could swear Opehlia hits for garbage with her staff, but does something approaching respectable damage with her knife.

No. Physical uses your character's base stat + the weapon you've equipped/used last (and that also counts for weapons with Speed, Accuracy, Crit, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^burtle posted:

Just want to make sure I understand how Ele Atk works. If I've multi-classed Cyrus to Scholar / Merchant and the Ele Atk on his spear is greater than his cane, the game is calculating his power with the spear regardless? Or do I need to be switching to it being the weapon he has visible on the screen?

It just uses the highest you have equipped, so yes, in this case it's always going to use the spear's stat.

Saxophone posted:

Does physical damage work the same as elemental? Because I could swear Opehlia hits for garbage with her staff, but does something approaching respectable damage with her knife.

Physical damage uses whatever weapon you actually attacked with. Most (all?) physical damage skills specify a weapon type and that's the one it uses to determine damage every time. For example, the Thief's HP and SP drain attacks always use their equipped dagger, while the Apothecary's Amputation attack always uses their equipped axe.

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
The voice direction in this game is nothing short of phenomenal. I stopped playing disgaea shadow hearts and FFX — all games I was enjoying — due to unbearable voicework and dialogue so this is my Perfect Game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kobogartimer posted:

These skills don't check accuracy and hit 50% of the time, but will always hit at least three times.

Well that's just lame and unfortunate. :(

Don't doxx me.

Your Computer posted:

In the 15-25 dungeons you can find enemies that deal ~20 damage per hit as well as enemies that deal ~1200 damage per hit in the same battle :pram:

Like my first encounter with elemental crystal enemies and their love of OP-as-poo poo AOE attacks, hitting the party for 5x as much damage as anything else in the cave.

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a Lance with an absurd amount of elemental attack and nobody to give it to :negative:

I guess when I use Cyrus again I'll subclass him into something that uses them.

When I want max damage I run Cyrus as a merchant because the Rune Glaive is about 70 more ele atk than the wizard staff (300 ele atk) and even the Elemental Glaive is very strong and you can get one pretty easily from a chest in a high level area if you have Therion. Rune Glaive is just ridiculous though. I'm sure there's some ultimate staff that's better but it's still insanely powerful and not too hard to get at a lower level.

Natural 20 posted:

Octopus Traveler.

The true FF6 inspired game. Starring:

Odin
Celes
Typhon
Olberic (cameo character)
Phantom Train
Ultros
Sabin

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty glad this game doesn't use the ZL/ZR triggers because it feels so perfect playing it with my SNES 8bitdo controller.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I like that one of the sidequests in the mining town is basically you prompting Levi Strauss to create blue jeans.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Have I been pointlessly using Take Aim before Arrowstorm this whole time? :doh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want max damage I run Cyrus as a merchant because the Rune Glaive is about 70 more ele atk than the wizard staff (300 ele atk) and even the Elemental Glaive is very strong and you can get one pretty easily from a chest in a high level area if you have Therion. Rune Glaive is just ridiculous though. I'm sure there's some ultimate staff that's better but it's still insanely powerful and not too hard to get at a lower level.

The one I have is like 350 elemental attack. I might have also had the other one that was slightly less powerful as well. I went and looted the poo poo out of Goldport last night so it's hard to remember/keep track of everything.

I also tried to do one of the hidden shrines and got the poo poo kicked out of me by the archmage :lol: Think those might have to wait a little longer, though I'm not entirely what else I can do outside slightly higher stats, I kind of doubt my equipment will get much better.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I kind of doubt my equipment will get much better

It will. Later stuff has some great passive effects too (outside of the status debuff procs).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just finished all of the chapter 1 stories and am going around and picking up all of the sub-jobs.

I'm thinking my main party for the early part of the game will be:
Alfyn - Apothecary / Scholar (main)
Tressa - Merchant / Dancer
Therion - Thief / Hunter
Cyrus - Scholar / Cleric
(Team TACT?)

Aside from having to occasionally swap out for Challenge or Guide in the overworld, am I missing anything major here?

I sort of wish I'd taken Cyrus or Therion as my main, because I never see myself not wanting them in the party. Alfyn's cool and all, but I hate dealing with the herb inventory management, and beyond that he's basically a jack-of-all-trades.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

acumen posted:

It will. Later stuff has some great passive effects too (outside of the status debuff procs).

Any suggestions on where to start looking? Just find more chapter four towns?

I'm probably going to finish Alfyn, Olberic, and Therion's questlines (they're all on ch3 or 4) with my current party and then do the other five (all on ch2 still) and getting better gear will help a lot with my underleveled crew.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I just finished all of the chapter 1 stories and am going around and picking up all of the sub-jobs.

Therion - Thief / Hunter
Cyrus - Scholar / Cleric
(Team TACT?)

Aside from having to occasionally swap out for Challenge or Guide in the overworld, am I missing anything major here?

I sort of wish I'd taken Cyrus or Therion as my main, because I never see myself not wanting them in the party. Alfyn's cool and all, but I hate dealing with the herb inventory management, and beyond that he's basically a jack-of-all-trades.

Huh. You know I just realized that my main party, in top to bottom order is Olberic, Cyrus, Therion Ophelia.

Yay for liking team OCTO I guess.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The ye olden dialogue style in this game is dogshit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

it owns

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Therion - Thief / Hunter
Cyrus - Scholar / Cleric
(Team TACT?)

The good thing is you never have to worry about herb management because you can easily just buy 99 of everything for real cheap other than the big damage/healer pieces and go to town shredding shields with Alfyn. If you really hate it that much then just go to Alfyn's hometown and beat up the girl in front of the door on the left side of town, go save, and savescum steal the Golden Axe from the old man until you get it and just wallop on things with a really good weapon

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Andrast posted:

iten owneseth

fixed for game accuracy (MM's statement is also accurate)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

did you start as H'aanit

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
This game pretty much single handedly made buying a Switch worth it. Tressa was my starter, and I have zero regrets about my many excellent life choices that brought me to this point. All the characters in this game are Cool and Good except Alfyn, who is dogshit but Tressa is the best.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Your Computer posted:

did you start as H'aanit

Yeah, is this a mistake? I want to challenge people to duals and play Pokemons

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kashuno posted:

just go to Alfyn's hometown and beat up the girl in front of the door on the left side of town, go save, and savescum steal the Golden Axe from the old man until you get it and just wallop on things with a really good weapon
Everyone's going to hate me for this, but I stole the axe on the first attempt. Not even the first attempt prior to reputation loss, but the first button press.

I wondered if they'd hard-coded something in where your first-ever non-100% steal action is always successful.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

That style of dialog is only her and people related to her story so its not indicative of the whole game. She owns though you made a good choice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

She and people and her village are the only ones who talk like that. Personally I like her and she's my main (mechanically she absolutely wrecks face).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

She and her town are the only ones who speak like that in the entire game :v:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Misseth me with this dialogue hate

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Dancer + Apothecary Merchant (separate characters). Donate BP to dancer, Bewildering Gaze with as much BP as possible every single chance you get, kill stuff.

I feel like if you're not consistently getting the EXPx5 that this probably doesn't work out to be much faster than just speed killing enemies.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Soothing Vapors posted:

This game pretty much single handedly made buying a Switch worth it. Tressa was my starter, and I have zero regrets about my many excellent life choices that brought me to this point. All the characters in this game are Cool and Good except Alfyn, who is dogshit but Tressa is the best.

What the gently caress

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
hey guys I dunno if you were aware but MY BLADE IS UNBENDING

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Alfyn's chapter 3 was so drat good. The voice acting for him and Miguel was awesome.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just started a few days ago with Ophilia (which I'm kind of regretting because she's locked in, the heals and tons of damage from Holy Light are nice but that's one of her only tricks and she's pretty limited in damage types) and have been working my way around clockwise and just got Primrose. Tressa's an obvious standout for me (Hired Help is loving amazing), though I benched Olberic when I had to swap someone out because he just wasn't doing a ton of damage, which is a shame.

I'm about to pick up Alfyn, which makes me wonder if there's good ways to boost EXP progression for when I need to grind up my backup party. Also when does Olberic get good, or was he already good and just lacking in levels?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I discovered that I could get the Warrior subclass before picking up Olberic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

H'annit's weird dialect kind of grew on me and I genuinely love her quotes in battle now. It's oddly charming how there's this random sect of barbarian warrior-poets and it makes the world feel more diverse.

I had Therion, my main char, sublass into Apothecary and once he got the Hale and Hearty perk, it rocketed him to like 1900 HP. Next highest is like....700 on H'annit I think? It's kind of crazy but maybe Therion has HP boosts in his equipment. He's below level 20.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I discovered that I could get the Warrior subclass before picking up Olberic.

I got the Apothecary sublass on the way to recruit Alfric, actually

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Natural 20 posted:

I think I'm settling with Tress/Primrose/Cyrus/Therion for my first run.

I'm having a little more difficulty thinking about the best way to subclass them.

Primrose Dancer/Scholar feels like a no brainer since I lucked into a dagger that gives her crazy elemental attack. Plus scholar's massive coverage and damage is good to have two versions of.

The rest is a lot more complicated. I feel like I want Cleric somewhere but the rest I've no clue about.

This is exactly the party I've been going with.

Though, I also got Olberic to level 15, subclass him to dancer, and loaded in a bunch of evasion gear if I needed to clear a doorway in a starter town.

I've been doing: Tressa/Thief, Cyrus/Apothecary, Therion/Warrior, Primrose/Scholar.

But I think I might move Tressa to Apothecary, Cyrus to Cleric.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hell yeah! The cool and right opinion. gently caress Alfyn

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I really want to use Forbidden weapons but some of them have really brutal effects, like the sword(?) having a chance to boost the attack of the target, and the last thing most bosses need is a free damage buff.

Licarn posted:

Have I been pointlessly using Take Aim before Arrowstorm this whole time? :doh:

I know I have. :(

It makes me question the usefulness of Take Aim even more since the only time I've had accuracy issues was when I'd fight stuff double my level, or a Cait that didn't instantly flee. I guess if the crit buff is considerable then it might be worth it still, but probably not unless you're running purely physical offense since magic doesn't crit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is this game worth me buying a Switch for? My brother in law keeps telling me it is, but I also have to buy a PS4 for Red Dead Redemption 2 this year. I love rpg's and class systems, so this sounds right up my alley and I really like the art style.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Arist posted:

Just started a few days ago with Ophilia (which I'm kind of regretting because she's locked in, the heals and tons of damage from Holy Light are nice but that's one of her only tricks and she's pretty limited in damage types) and have been working my way around clockwise and just got Primrose. Tressa's an obvious standout for me (Hired Help is loving amazing), though I benched Olberic when I had to swap someone out because he just wasn't doing a ton of damage, which is a shame.

I'm about to pick up Alfyn, which makes me wonder if there's good ways to boost EXP progression for when I need to grind up my backup party. Also when does Olberic get good, or was he already good and just lacking in levels?

Dancers have a skill that can randomly give you an experience multiplier for a battle, which helps in grinding. There's also some experience scaling in play too, I believe.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is this game worth me buying a Switch for? My brother in law keeps telling me it is, but I also have to buy a PS4 for Red Dead Redemption 2 this year. I love rpg's and class systems, so this sounds right up my alley and I really like the art style.

I wouldn't buy a Switch only for it, but buying a Switch also nets you access to the rest of a very healthy roster of games.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Take aim is still good, since yeah sometimes there are monsters you miss. You can still crit even when you're hitting a broken dude so it helps. It's just not the spell you have to cast before you use arrow rain and the spear thing every time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Solice Kirsk posted:

No game is imo worth buying a console.

But the switch has an array of excellent games and the portability is incredibly handy. I've certainly preferred its offerings to that of my ps4.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the archmagus at level 40 :toot:

Hell of a tense fight even if I just had to keep repeating the same stuff until he was dead. 100% upkeep on leghold trap and poison, reflect and magic defense when not healing, transfer BP and SP from Tressa battery when needed. Still haven't bought any divine skills...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

No game is imo worth buying a console.

But the switch has an array of excellent games and the portability is incredibly handy. I've certainly preferred its offerings to that of my ps4.

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne.

no regrets