Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lmao he steamed in ready to go for it and then pulled out last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This genuinely is really interesting poised with Dumoulin now.

The Alps are done and Froome's only 11 seconds ahead with a TT to come. Feels like he needs another long solo stage if he wants to win this.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Nibali has confirmed it was a police motorbike that knocked him off. Fucks sake.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Sky is murdering every epic story :-(

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Wow really shocking results, sky is just somehow way stronger than 100 other professional world class cyclists. They must train real hard. Now we get to watch 8 boring bunch finishes and Froome ride off the front for one and only one mountain stage, the end

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That's really disappointing for Nibali.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

peanut- posted:

This genuinely is really interesting poised with Dumoulin now.

The Alps are done and Froome's only 11 seconds ahead with a TT to come. Feels like he needs another long solo stage if he wants to win this.

There's a 65km(!) stage with a HC finish in the Pyrenees. It's three climbs and two descents and literally nothing else. The Sky train is going to murder everyone and Froome will gain like 7 minutes in the end.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What's the percentage for the cutoff time today? 11%? If so, it might claim some victims. If it's 12% everyone who has come in by now is safe.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pimp Cauldron posted:

Wow really shocking results, sky is just somehow way stronger than 100 other professional world class cyclists. They must train real hard. Now we get to watch 8 boring bunch finishes and Froome ride off the front for one and only one mountain stage, the end

I’m happily boycotting

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1019982686860038144

Time limit was 41:26. Everyone except this guy made it

e: never mind, Taaramäe STILL isn't in, lol

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lawson Craddock came 42nd today, he might not even get the lanterne rouge at this rate.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pimp Cauldron posted:

And the only one who can hold their wheel is a TT rider, not the other world class climbers.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Geraint Thomas is going to win the sprint on the Champs wearing the Yellow Jersey :(

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Nah.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since I pretty much only pay attention to the Tour de France I'm not 100% on the scuttlebutt around Sky. I totally get hating the boring team that spends and wins the most with the emotionless uninspiring leader ever but is the implication that they have some crazy secret sauce chemistry that the other teams don't? If a full half their team is better at climbing than everyone else in the world combined that does look super shady. The TV commentators are only willing to say "Sky is setting a super hard tempo" but since drafting isn't as much of an issue on climbs I don't get what the point is other than showing the rest of the peleton "we're geared up so much if you try anything we'll go even faster." Is the little bit of draft Froome gets from his teammates really making a difference? They get their wattage/pace from the team so it's not like the domestiques know something Froome/Thomas don't.

Again, I'm a super casual fan so I don't know too much.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/Gazzetta_it/status/1020036739803623425

:(

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

poo poo, that sucks

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Christ, another vertebrae.

It feels like motos have ended more tours than any other road hazard recently.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That makes it nine down today and at least one DNS tomorrow.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

qirex posted:

Since I pretty much only pay attention to the Tour de France I'm not 100% on the scuttlebutt around Sky. I totally get hating the boring team that spends and wins the most with the emotionless uninspiring leader ever but is the implication that they have some crazy secret sauce chemistry that the other teams don't? If a full half their team is better at climbing than everyone else in the world combined that does look super shady. The TV commentators are only willing to say "Sky is setting a super hard tempo" but since drafting isn't as much of an issue on climbs I don't get what the point is other than showing the rest of the peleton "we're geared up so much if you try anything we'll go even faster." Is the little bit of draft Froome gets from his teammates really making a difference? They get their wattage/pace from the team so it's not like the domestiques know something Froome/Thomas don't.

Again, I'm a super casual fan so I don't know too much.

The drugs side of things is probably a bit of a red herring. If they are all on drugs its probably no different from any other team. The problem is, they based the whole team ideology around being entirely drug free, so they draw a massive amount of scrutiny whilst other teams get to shake their heads disapprovingly (whilst also doing the drugs probably)
The reason they are so dominant is that they have all the money, and can buy up a crazy amount of talent. The reason half their team can beat most of the rest is because they are better than them. Most of their domestiques would be a team leader in any other team, and when they leave they quite often go on to be that (Landa being the most recent of them). Also bear in mind they dont have to go to the end of the climb full steam either, so they are going 100% for only part of a climb till they go pop. Comparing them to the best climbing GC guys isnt entirely simple

A quick note on the drafting thing, for mere mortals like us, no drafting up a climb probably doesnt make a difference as we are not going fast enough. At the speeds they are going, it absolutely does, as was seen today with G sitting on a wheel all climb (his right as the Yellow fyi) and then being able to smash it at the end

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 19, 2018

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

^ this is a good post. Should add that even while at <20km/h drafting is minimal, the psychological factor of sitting on someone’s wheel who is pacing you shouldn’t be discounted. And even if the wattage saved is 3-4%, that’s the threshold between on your limit and at a high tempo. The drilling of Team Sky is ridiculous and it’s sad not seeing Landa performing as well as he did last year, even though he isn’t any less strong or capable. Dumoulin is great and cool and I wish his team was just that bit better to support him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised there's only two of them in the top 10 tbh

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

goatface posted:

Christ, another vertebrae.

It feels like motos have ended more tours than any other road hazard recently.

Fan camera makes it seem like it wasn't one of the police motos, but it's all inconclusive. Looks to me like a flag or some other loose article belonging to a spectator got caught in his wheel or something.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Fan camera makes it seem like it wasn't one of the police motos, but it's all inconclusive. Looks to me like a flag or some other loose article belonging to a spectator got caught in his wheel or something.

I mean you could have linked said video but yeah doesn't look like a Moto crash

https://twitter.com/diegoalvarez12/status/1020035493734559749

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Oh I see what happened now. A camera strap hooked his bars.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From the bits you can see in that, the only think I can think of is the guy leaning over with his camera strap dangling somehow catching his bars and pulling him over.

Like ^^he said

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
So when is the World Tour finally going to fence off the major summits and not just the final 2km or so?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

goatface posted:

I'm surprised there's only two of them in the top 10 tbh

There could be more, but the rest of the team actively tanks when they are done with their primary job. Egan Bernal is out of the young rider classification for the same reason.

Luke Rowe won the lanterne rouge last year

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Skarsnik posted:

The drugs side of things is probably a bit of a red herring. If they are all on drugs its probably no different from any other team. The problem is, they based the whole team ideology around being entirely drug free, so they draw a massive amount of scrutiny whilst other teams get to shake their heads disapprovingly (whilst also doing the drugs probably)
The reason they are so dominant is that they have all the money, and can buy up a crazy amount of talent. The reason half their team can beat most of the rest is because they are better than them. Most of their domestiques would be a team leader in any other team, and when they leave they quite often go on to be that (Landa being the most recent of them). Also bear in mind they dont have to go to the end of the climb full steam either, so they are going 100% for only part of a climb till they go pop. Comparing them to the best climbing GC guys isnt entirely simple

A quick note on the drafting thing, for mere mortals like us, no drafting up a climb probably doesnt make a difference as we are not going fast enough. At the speeds they are going, it absolutely does, as was seen today with G sitting on a wheel all climb (his right as the Yellow fyi) and then being able to smash it at the end

The other thing is that it takes a lot of effort to attack and a lot of effort to pull people back. Sky having one or two guys at the sharp end of a stage who they can run into the ground helps them a lot. Froome and/or Thomas don’t have to expend the energy to chase down an attacker. The other team’s main GC guys have to attack (if they can) or defend themselves as at that point in the race they don’t have any team mates left to do any work for them.

This leaves Froome and Thomas in a better state when everyone’s pretty much on their limit and is a big deal.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

doesn't explain riders like Thomas suddenly going from weird TT guy to GC Contender

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BabyFur Denny posted:

doesn't explain riders like Thomas suddenly going from weird TT guy to GC Contender

Uhhh, that’s precisely the evolution of most wiry TTers. Dumoulin, Tejay, Rohan Dennis, Nibali, etc.

They end up with good power-to-weight for both long HC climbs, punchy steep stuff, rollers, everything...also they have a weight advantage on descents!

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 20, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

Every time a grand tour is on, I definitely ride harder at all times.

I'd like to report that for this Tour, because I am a huge Quintana fan, my commutes have been taking way longer.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Skarsnik posted:

I have a tough time believing "they are just better". There have been plenty of powerful teams in the last ten years. In a sport where physical human output should be so close among these elite riders, one team cannot consistently make GC contenders out of relative nobodies without some sort of special help.

Without getting too into what I might believe as far as sky getting special concessions, or doping, it is really frustrating to watch grand tours these days because of them. That one team could be so dominant in 2018 to me just points to how corrupt and rife with european cycling dogma the sport has always been.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Does it really matter why the Sky train is so boring to watch? 🚡

Doping, a super deep bank account, marginal gains. All I know is it’s boring watching a race where you already know the outcome.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 20, 2018

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
There's only one team on paper that can remotely challenge Sky's roster in a grand tour: Movistar

So yes even with the looming PED accusations, I think they're just better than everyone.

Just like you won't see Sky racking up 70 stage wins this year like QSF will.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

TobinHatesYou posted:

Uhhh, that’s precisely the evolution of most wiry TTers. Dumoulin, Tejay, Rohan Dennis, Nibali, etc.

They end up with good power-to-weight for both long HC climbs, punchy steep stuff, rollers, everything...also they have a weight advantage on descents!

Nibali was never a TTer. The only real prototypes for this in the past were Indurain and Wiggins and both were doped to the gills.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
These aren't relative nobodies though, that's the biggest lie perpetuating the sky myth. I feel like I have to gertrude and make it clear I'm not a fan, I'd take Nibili or Quintana any day, but sky buys very strong riders and asks them to commit 100% to riding for their leader and then loving off for every other goal. Their salaries dwarfs the rest of the world tour and I can guarantee you the training support gap is just as large.

I also think there's a lot to asthma and thyroid drugs in endurance sports right now (as a runner) and sky is willing to exploit those loopholes more than other teams. I just don't think they're on some program with blood bags or micro dosing that the peloton doesn't know about. Landa and Porte should make that clear. Jesus just look at how far Kwiatkowski pulled yesterday before Froome or G did anything

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

African AIDS cum posted:

Nibali was never a TTer. The only real prototypes for this in the past were Indurain and Wiggins and both were doped to the gills.

Nibali, Froome, Porte, etc. are GCers that can hold their own in ITTs. Same with the Zakarins and Roglics and others. There is clearly overlap between disciplines because, as it turns out, both emphasize steady aerobic efforts over constant surges/attacks and punchy <3min stuff.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 20, 2018

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I have watched precisely one stage of this Tour, stage 9. I don't plan on watching any others. The Tour is otherwise entirely unwatchable for me knowing that Sky will carry the maillot jaune all the way to Paris, and that on any given stage they can impose their will at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

I mean you could have linked said video but yeah doesn't look like a Moto crash

https://twitter.com/diegoalvarez12/status/1020035493734559749

https://twitter.com/diegoalvarez12/status/1020070392545890306?s=21