Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Rutibex posted:

Does any other game offer battles as large as EVE? The biggest PvP games I can think of are something like PUBG with like 100 people in a match.

Albion Online, zones are capped at 300 but there was a battle recently that had 1000+ deaths over one hour due to respawns and load-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

albion online, the game that has pvp fatigue due to hiring the guy who added jump fatigue to eve

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have no idea why I have chosen right now in my life to play EVE but I just started. Is it actually worth it to do all these career path tutorial missions or are all the rewards things I could just buy with all the isk I'd be making from doing actual things

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rutibex posted:

Does any other game offer battles as large as EVE? The biggest PvP games I can think of are something like PUBG with like 100 people in a match.

Planetside & Planetside 2 can get close. Though iirc PS2 has some sort of dynamic splitting when there are too many people in one location so you can't actually see 1000 people on the screen.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have no idea why I have chosen right now in my life to play EVE but I just started. Is it actually worth it to do all these career path tutorial missions or are all the rewards things I could just buy with all the isk I'd be making from doing actual things

the rewards are completely trivial. the tutorial part may be worth your time depending on your tolerance for absorbing info-dumps from other places.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm upset that TiDi stole an ISRAD killmail from me. :(

I Specifically didn't shoot the primary cause this dude was just burning off all by himself.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
GMG has a sale on the Galaxy package for 60% off giving you 5x skill extractors, 2x multi train certs, 1100 plex and 3 months Omega for $40. I'm about 6 weeks old, at around 1.8m SP and have no idea what I should keep, sell or if I should liquidate everything for large injectors so I can use Omega things now. Its like 7b isk to blow everything out and at around 740m per injector, that would be a ton of time saved even if I only did like the extractors and plex. I realize this is probably a bad place for serious advice - but I trust you guys more than Jita Local.

Note: some of you guys

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Micromancer posted:

GMG has a sale on the Galaxy package for 60% off giving you 5x skill extractors, 2x multi train certs, 1100 plex and 3 months Omega for $40. I'm about 6 weeks old, at around 1.8m SP and have no idea what I should keep, sell or if I should liquidate everything for large injectors so I can use Omega things now. Its like 7b isk to blow everything out and at around 740m per injector, that would be a ton of time saved even if I only did like the extractors and plex. I realize this is probably a bad place for serious advice - but I trust you guys more than Jita Local.

Do not spend that ISK on skill injectors! Take the 7b isk and invest it in money making operations. You need isk to make isk in EVE, so don't blow through your starting capital on drugs. I bought a similar package that gave me 4b isk to start off with. Instead of spending it on skill injectors and shiny modules I used it to buy poo poo on the market and resell it. Now I am over 55b and I can buy skill injectors and stuff like that without hurting my ability in invest.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Rutibex posted:

Do not spend that ISK on skill injectors! Take the 7b isk and invest it in money making operations. You need isk to make isk in EVE, so don't blow through your starting capital on drugs. I bought a similar package that gave me 4b isk to start off with. Instead of spending it on skill injectors and shiny modules I used it to buy poo poo on the market and resell it. Now I am over 55b and I can buy skill injectors and stuff like that without hurting my ability in invest.

So blow it all out for cash on hand to play the market. I started out recovering loss of frigates and such for the first couple weeks by market hauling. Was the only days I ended positive growth for the day

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Micromancer posted:

So blow it all out for cash on hand to play the market. I started out recovering loss of frigates and such for the first couple weeks by market hauling. Was the only days I ended positive growth for the day

It's important to have lots of starting capital, because the commodities with the best margins and least competition are very expensive. Implants are very good to trade for profit. Some implants go for over 1b, but you can pick them up for like 800m, so you end up making 100m+ (after taxes) on just two transactions. But the trick is you need to be able to sit on a 800m isk implant for a day or two before it sells. That means you need lots of liquid isk, because you can end up trading dozens of the things at once.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Sounds good. Im going to reserve around 4b for market flipping and inject my way to fitting a Stratios for exploration. That way I can hopefully earn some cash WH-ing while orders tick. Will also pull double duty finishing off the monthly event which has been pretty good for loot so far.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Micromancer posted:

Sounds good. Im going to reserve around 4b for market flipping and inject my way to fitting a Stratios for exploration. That way I can hopefully earn some cash WH-ing while orders tick. Will also pull double duty finishing off the monthly event which has been pretty good for loot so far.

You don't need a Stratios for doing wormhole exploration. You can very easily make money at that in a T1 frigate, or an Astero if you want to splurge. Fit one with combat probes, them you can scan for lost drones as well. You can make lots finding lost Gheckos and T2 drones that people leave around.

Skill injectors are a major waste of money unless you are really rich. You get 4x as many skill points if you buy PLEX and wait for the training to finish.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

albion online, the game that has pvp fatigue due to hiring the guy who added jump fatigue to eve

albion beta was great, then they unironically hired greyscale who implemented sec status (pvp fatigue) to the world, and if you go to low it stops you from entering lowsec at all, where 90% of the players exist.

also the game where devs unironically morale posted about how the game definitely isn't dying, and that the massive exodus of players was expected and normal

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

Eve Online 2018:

Foehammer007 posted:

There was major lag, disconnects and black screens.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Haha, TEST anchored another one.

Crazy bastards.

My GF is still pissed at me for the late night yelling last night, and was glad I had sworn off this lame rear end game for good. She's gonna be even angrier when I tell her that I'm gonna do it again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Micromancer posted:

Don't just dump this here and not link it

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/eve-online-galaxy-pack-pc/

DrHammond posted:

Crazy bastards.

My GF is still pissed at me for the late night yelling last night, and was glad I had sworn off this lame rear end game for good. She's gonna be even angrier when I tell her that I'm gonna do it again.

at this point, either recruit her in, or :sever:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 20, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DrHammond posted:

Crazy bastards.

You're an inconsiderate loving retard and when she gets rid of your dumbass imma laugh.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

She's actually super supportive but is NOW yelling at me that I lied to you guys about that.

So yeah, you're right.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

DrHammond posted:

Crazy bastards.

Truthishly, keepstars aren't that expensive. There are a number of gankers I know that could drop 6 before they really felt the pain (of having less than 500b isk).

I watched the stream last night. I almost logged in for the armor move op. Good for test. Good for the game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is there a way to check to see if you've already had that pack?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
It was a bait keepstar to get PL trapped

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Is there a way to check to see if you've already had that pack?

If you login to https://secure.eveonline.com and click on the DLC tab you'll see this if you've had any of the packs before

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Kilonum posted:

Don't just dump this here and not link it

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to even do it, my bad :/

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So since I've got a good amount of mining gear, I decided to invest my time in that. Just did my first successful trip in high sec, got a ship full of Condensed Scordite worth like 500k total. Thinking about how to maximize my profit however, and I noticed that raw ore sells for a lot more than refining it. Additionally, I thought I might be able to get more out of it by selling to a player, but I don't see anyone on the market willing to buy for more than the base price of selling it to the station. What's the best way to get the bang for my buck out of mining, or should I just flip this low-level stuff as quickly as possible so I can build up enough capital to ramp thing up with a better freighter? Should I be looking for some blueprints to convert my minerals into products to sell, or should I switch to a different activity entirely until I'm better able to explore lowsec and protect myself while mining?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What's the best way to get the bang for my buck out of mining

The answer to this question is to get out of highsec. Seriously even if you join pandemic horde (which is not a suggestion) you'll be doing 100 times better than you are now.

If you are absolutely dead set on the life of a highsec miner, the reason refining it would give you such poo poo returns is that you probably don't have perfect refines, which is what the highsec market baselines their values on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So since I've got a good amount of mining gear, I decided to invest my time in that. Just did my first successful trip in high sec, got a ship full of Condensed Scordite worth like 500k total. Thinking about how to maximize my profit however, and I noticed that raw ore sells for a lot more than refining it. Additionally, I thought I might be able to get more out of it by selling to a player, but I don't see anyone on the market willing to buy for more than the base price of selling it to the station. What's the best way to get the bang for my buck out of mining, or should I just flip this low-level stuff as quickly as possible so I can build up enough capital to ramp thing up with a better freighter?
you should get out of highsec.

like, if you actually enjoy mining you could be running around goonspace with your cute little venture and mining mercoxit worth 10x that.

quote:

Should I be looking for some blueprints to convert my minerals into products to sell,
no, T1 production in highsec is an activity with razor-thin profit or more likely negative profit

quote:

or should I switch to a different activity entirely until I'm better able to explore lowsec and protect myself while mining?
you cannot protect yourself while mining, the toughest mining barge will see off lone frigates or destroyers but die to a PVP cruiser or any gang. the way to protect yourself in eve is to have friends.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So since I've got a good amount of mining gear, I decided to invest my time in that. Just did my first successful trip in high sec, got a ship full of Condensed Scordite worth like 500k total. Thinking about how to maximize my profit however, and I noticed that raw ore sells for a lot more than refining it. Additionally, I thought I might be able to get more out of it by selling to a player, but I don't see anyone on the market willing to buy for more than the base price of selling it to the station. What's the best way to get the bang for my buck out of mining, or should I just flip this low-level stuff as quickly as possible so I can build up enough capital to ramp thing up with a better freighter? Should I be looking for some blueprints to convert my minerals into products to sell, or should I switch to a different activity entirely until I'm better able to explore lowsec and protect myself while mining?

This is like driving for Uber while you have a job offer where you could make 100k a year doing almost nothing.

I don’t understand why you asked us for advice and then literally continued to do the least profitable and most unfun possible activity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Lol 500k. My man, get the hell out of high sec and come down to Delve. You could litteraly be making several orders of magnitude more doing anything else. You would make more begging in Jita for handouts.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
looks like a nice war, shame its in the middle of vacation

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

jumpfreighting is balanced

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I didn't do a highsec run because I thought it was actually a good idea, I just needed some cash to get some defense drones so I could fight off NPCs while still being able to equip two mining lasers. It was like 30 mins of time while I ate lunch. I tried to go lowsec before resorting to that but you can't get away with not having a weapon to shoot down NPCs so I ended up having to come back and change plans and get those drones.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I don’t understand why you asked us for advice and then literally continued to do the least profitable and most unfun possible activity.

What the hell are you talking about

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Man, I remember when I first started playing, BoodaBooda gave me 10M isk on my 2nd day and I felt like the space-richest motherfucking newbro in the world. I made that money stretch for WEEKS. Do you have any idea how many T1 tackle rifters 10M buys? I didn't even have to use TEST_FREE, unlike those other poor proles.

Saving up for a flight of drones, ridiculously cute. Thanks for reminding me what it's like to be hilariously poor in this game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrHammond posted:

Man, I remember when I first started playing, BoodaBooda gave me 10M isk on my 2nd day and I felt like the space-richest motherfucking newbro in the world. I made that money stretch for WEEKS. Do you have any idea how many T1 tackle rifters 10M buys? I didn't even have to use TEST_FREE, unlike those other poor proles.

Saving up for a flight of drones, ridiculously cute. Thanks for reminding me what it's like to be hilariously poor in this game.

I remember saving up for my first cruiser. I mined pyroxeres in a Navitas (its wasn't a armor repping frigate at the time, and the Venture didn't exist). I would mine everything into a jet can then go back to the station to pick up my Iteron Mark III and get the ores. It took me a while but I eventually earned enough to buy a Thorax! I felt invincible in such a powerful ship, it was amazing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I am going to shatter this glass ceiling by throwing jetcans at it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I remember saving up for my first cruiser. I mined pyroxeres in a Navitas (its wasn't a armor repping frigate at the time, and the Venture didn't exist). I would mine everything into a jet can then go back to the station to pick up my Iteron Mark III and get the ores. It took me a while but I eventually earned enough to buy a Thorax! I felt invincible in such a powerful ship, it was amazing.

I bet it was fit like absolute dogshit too.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

orange juche posted:

Yep even peak mining was an apoc with 8 miner 2s, which if I remember correctly was the only tech 2 item back then

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

How long do you think that'll stay at that price?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hopefully until I get home tonight

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

I had a Prototype Cloaking Device on my Thorax, because I planned to hide in asteroid belts and PvP noobs :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I had a Prototype Cloaking Device on my Thorax, because I planned to hide in asteroid belts and PvP noobs :v:

Not paying attention to the decloak recalibration timer which prevents this exact thing. More likely you would have decloaked and then been PvPed because you were a noob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I salvage thrashered my way to a belt rating hurricane, and belt ratted my way to a meta-4 arty mael to run anoms in. Goddamn that poo poo was expensive.

It was shitfit and I wasnt anywhere close to having the skills to fly it well.

5 minutes into my first anom, Sniggwaffe showed up in local causing me some consternation. They declared they were there on a diplomatic mission to blue test. "Sweet, a diplomatic mission, I'm fine!" I thought.

And that's the story of my very first hilariously bad km. Get back into that Hurricane!

• Locked thread