Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I definitely have sympathy for that guy but....bets on it being some mediocre college with good sports??? Like, chances are if your dreams revolve around going to a particular college, they are dreams worth reconsidering.

Yeah there's something with that post... like that son was so fragile that getting a free ride to school wasn't enough, it was a STATE school which is for subhumans as everyone knows and so he had to suffer terribly during his time there

And like the even weirder way that he's being coddled and infantilized. I think it is almost entirely of the dad's own making that he is sort of creating and then magnifying these things.

I have no clue what this guy's reaction is going to be but dad here is 100% ready for that failson to fall apart, he has to "break it to him gently" there's no treating him like an adult or a functional, capable human. I don't know why dad treats only one son as a failson idiot and the other as fine but it sure seems like something he should fix or revisit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

I definitely have sympathy for that guy but....bets on it being some mediocre college with good sports??? Like, chances are if your dreams revolve around going to a particular college, they are dreams worth reconsidering.

Mediocre private colleges with good sports aren't usually less affordable than state colleges. Actually there aren't very many mediocre private colleges with good sports.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
When I was rejected by MIT, I took up the life of a Ronin, or wandering forums moderator.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Eh, I remember things mattering a whole lot when I was 18. Got dumped sophomore year of college and that put me down for like an entire year. Setting up an expensive and indefinite thing as the "family tradition" is probably a bad idea, but it sounds like a lot of things happened to the kid all at once (including at least one that was definitely connected to his inability to go to the school, though who knows if she would've run off with the other guy anyway). He's definitely been grieving it all for way longer than is healthy but, I don't know, poo poo like that can really gently caress you into the ground for a long time

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xombie posted:

Mediocre private colleges with good sports aren't usually less affordable than state colleges. Actually there aren't very many mediocre private colleges with good sports.
This is a fair point and tbh I hadn't noticed that he specified private college.

Squashing Machine posted:

Eh, I remember things mattering a whole lot when I was 18. Got dumped sophomore year of college and that put me down for like an entire year. Setting up an expensive and indefinite thing as the "family tradition" is probably a bad idea, but it sounds like a lot of things happened to the kid all at once (including at least one that was definitely connected to his inability to go to the school, though who knows if she would've run off with the other guy anyway). He's definitely been grieving it all for way longer than is healthy but, I don't know, poo poo like that can really gently caress you into the ground for a long time
Yeah, it's definitely real to him and clearly others around him felt that way as well, eg his at-the-time friend and girlfriend. I wanted to criticize the environment that caused him to feel that way about that particular college without criticizing him - his whole life imploded because of timing and that's really awful and he truly does have my sympathy.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

If that's how moderators begin their pilgrimmage then I'm at a loss to explain Franco

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Caganer posted:

My neighbour has tried to rape my girlfriend multiple times. self.Advice

Call the police and start learning to shoot in case your neighbor decides to go for broke.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

some people, and especially legacy families, get loving weird about their university, man. My granddad's whole adult social life revolved around the Princeton alumni association and everything he owns is Princeton branded and it was only a few years ago I found out he actually dropped out of Princeton after like a year. He's over 70 and like that, this kid's been out of school for literally a year.

It's real dumb and no school is worth that kind of obsession let alone the ones that actually get it but you're never gonna convince them of that :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 19, 2018

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

People whose posts clearly imply that they have staircases in their home ought to just do the needful and not bother us

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Caganer posted:

Call the loving cops you loving idiot.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

some people, and especially legacy families, get loving weird about their university, man. My granddad's whole adult social life revolved around the Princeton alumni association and everything he owns is Princeton branded and it was only a few years ago I found out he actually dropped out of Princeton after like a year. It's real dumb and no school is worth that kind of obsession let alone the ones that actually get it but you're never gonna convince them of that :shrug:

This is true, except for Penn State. WE ARE

(justice for paterno)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

some people, and especially legacy families, get loving weird about their university, man. My granddad's whole adult social life revolved around the Princeton alumni association and everything he owns is Princeton branded and it was only a few years ago I found out he actually dropped out of Princeton after like a year. He's over 70 and this kid's been out of school for literally a year.

It's real dumb and no school is worth that kind of obsession let alone the ones that actually get it but you're never gonna convince them of that :shrug:
Okay this was a short paragraph and I was still surprised by the twist ending. Your grandad is cool and I loved him in The Great Gatsby.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

When I was rejected by MIT, I took up the life of a Ronin, or wandering forums moderator.
a fate worse than death

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

a fate worse than death

I failed to get accepted into MIT and it sent me into a deep depression, because I had to form my own blackjack team, which was a bad idea because we were too stupid for MIT and couldn't count cards worth a poo poo

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

some people, and especially legacy families, get loving weird about their university, man. My granddad's whole adult social life revolved around the Princeton alumni association and everything he owns is Princeton branded and it was only a few years ago I found out he actually dropped out of Princeton after like a year. He's over 70 and like that, this kid's been out of school for literally a year.

At least Princeton is a prestigious institution he actually attended, even if it was just a year. Here in Texas people will wear Texas A&M gear 24/7, only buy maroon cars, cry every anniversary of the bonfire collapse, then you find out their grandparents are the ones that actually attended, they themselves went to Blinn (a 2 year college in the same town) for like a semester before dropping.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to see my wife’s dipshit cousins on /r/relationships one day, they had a Texas A&M themed wedding where everyone worse maroon despite the fact that neither of the people getting married had ever attended college in any capacity whatsoever.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

houstonguy posted:

At least Princeton is a prestigious institution he actually attended, even if it was just a year. Here in Texas people will wear Texas A&M gear 24/7, only buy maroon cars, cry every anniversary of the bonfire collapse, then you find out their grandparents are the ones that actually attended, they themselves went to Blinn (a 2 year college in the same town) for like a semester before dropping.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to see my wife’s dipshit cousins on /r/relationships one day, they had a Texas A&M themed wedding where everyone worse maroon despite the fact that neither of the people getting married had ever attended college in any capacity whatsoever.

:whitewater:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
College brands are such cancer

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

houstonguy posted:

I went to Virginia Tech and VA is full of people like this and I never know what to say to them.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

blugu64 posted:

Call the police and start learning to shoot in case your neighbor decides to go for broke.

op spells things with an "ou" they don't have our freedoms :911:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Caganer posted:

He needs to start learning how to stab, then.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Caganer posted:

OU sucks!!!

houstonguy posted:

My girlfriends dad, from the Midwest, drives a Maroon SUV, and I joked about an Aggie trying to steal/buy it off him. I kid you not within an hour of him getting to Texas, an Aggie offered to buy it “for her daughter who was starting in the fall”

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 19, 2018

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

This is a fair point and tbh I hadn't noticed that he specified private college.

Yeah, it's definitely real to him and clearly others around him felt that way as well, eg his at-the-time friend and girlfriend. I wanted to criticize the environment that caused him to feel that way about that particular college without criticizing him - his whole life imploded because of timing and that's really awful and he truly does have my sympathy.

I think a lot of this depends upon state-specific culture. Like if the kids in Missourah, and didn't get into WashU while his younger bro did, and was forced to spend 4 years as a Mizzou or worse Hawkeye, then yeah I can see where the state culture of southern elitism and general shittyness would make life unbearably horrid.

If the kid was an Illinois boy tho and went to Chambana rather than UChicago, well gently caress him for his mopiness chambana is a fun as hell place and UChicago undergrad is full of antisocial premeds/prelaws. Its not til you get to UChicago law and grad schools that folk become fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Who doesn’t get into a state school fuckinglmao

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I did it. I read through the thread. All 3224 pages of it.

Whatever shred of hope I had left for humanity has now been eroded. I will retire to a mountaintop and live the rest of my life as a hermit.

Pete can visit, he's cool.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

Who doesn’t get into a state school fuckinglmao

He did get in, his parents couldn't afford to send him

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blade Runner posted:

He did get in, his parents couldn't afford to send him

Parent. :eng101:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Philonius posted:

I did it. I read through the thread. All 3224 pages of it.

Whatever shred of hope I had left for humanity has now been eroded. I will retire to a mountaintop and live the rest of my life as a hermit.

Pete can visit, he's cool.

Epic prequel thread (there was another in the middle, it got gassed though and I dunno where to find it) here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782349

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Me (31f) have been a horrible partner to my husband (29m) and I want to fix it.

quote:

My husband and I have been together for 10 years. We have laughed and cried and made amazing memories. We have two beautiful daughters. We’ve both taken a turn supporting the family financially. We built a beautiful happy life - but there were many issues along the way - the main one being - In those 10 years I was cruel and vicious and mean when I was angry. I yelled, I stomped, I self harmed. I screamed..

There was lots of therapy and a diagnosis and some progress within myself. A year ago I’d have told you our relationship was the best it’s ever been. We were happy.

Recently I fell back into old habits hard. I didn’t even realize the extent of it until last night my husband told me I have made him feel absolutely worthless in our relationship. I’ve brought him down so far and I’ve held him there. My constant nitpicks and bickering has absolutely devastated him and our relationship and last night he told me he wants to separate.

I don’t want this. I want to show him my love and tear away all the hurt. He left and I am attempting to not text him to finally give him the respect he deserves from me.

I feel like it’s too late, I hosed up so beyond large. I ruined my best friend and partners self esteem and trust in me and our team.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I’m open to any suggestions.

tl;dr I’ve been an absolutely horrible partner and am looking for any tips to encourage reconciliation.

Have you tried screaming at him while holding a kitchen knife to your genitals, I've heard that can help foster communication

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's cool when people can handwave a decade of emotional savagery as "old habits"

not even sure what advice I have other than "maybe if you're being horrible to people it's worth trying to resolve before a decade of poo poo goes by"

Here's hoping OP adds details in comments

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I Was The Fury posted:

Me (31f) have been a horrible partner to my husband (29m) and I want to fix it.

Have you tried screaming at him while holding a kitchen knife to your genitals, I've heard that can help foster communication

Is the diagnosis BPD because it sure sounds like it.

E:Looked up the post and... it’s BPD!

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is the diagnosis BPD because it sure sounds like it.

E:Looked up the post and... it’s BPD!

Hahahahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My favourite thing about the college story is that dad could have just hired him to the family business for a couple of years and then afforded to send him to the mythical family university and everything could have been fine (objectively better, even, since the son would have had time to mourn his mum's death).

But no, our idiot culture has decided that you absolutely must start university the very second you finish high school even though there is plenty of evidence that a few gap years of working actually benefits many people, so everything had to go pearshaped instead.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When your finances take an unexpected dive, you don't usually know in advance if/when they're going to improve

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
But he was hopeful enough to assume he would be able to go to [cool school] in his 2nd year, it would have been less optimistic to have him work for a few years.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
I [38F] think my brother in law [43M] is hitting on me?

Trump4ALABAMA

quote:

A bit of back ground. I've been married to my husband (39m) for 12 years and we have 2 beautiful children. I am very happy with my relationship.

My BIL divorced two years ago and moved in with us on a "temporary" basis which now seems like it'll be longer. He has no children but has to pay his ex wife ailmony.

The dynamic really works as he helps around the house and with the children. We all get on so well.

Lately my husband has had to go away for his new business which means sometimes we don't see him for 2 weeks or more. My BIL has been talking with me about his dating etc and I have been giving advice. Sometimes the talks lead to sex and he's been very interested in my likes etc and confirming his to me?

He also has described me as "hot" and how there's been things that I've done that are "hot". Said that I was him in female form etc.

A months ago my husband was out of the state for 3 weeks. My BIL, I and the kids went on a 3 day hike. It was an awesome 3 days, we all enjoyed ourselves immensely.

We get home and he is very excited as he has a date. I help him get ready, support him etc. He comes home 3 hours later telling me that it was ok and then went on to tell me he was horny, I laughed it off as I understood he really likes this woman.

He then suggested we watch a "special" movie together. I was a bit dumb and was like yeah let's watch a movie.

He sets up while I get the snacks together, cuz you've gotta have snacks for a movie. I walk in sit on the sofa and say ok I'm ready. He turns it on and the black screen fades into basically porn.

I got up and was like I can't watch this with you, it's inappropriate. He laughed and told me that it's fun to watch and I should control myself?

Am I imagining this or is he hitting on me? What can I do about This?

TL:DR BIL suggested we watch a movie, he set up porn. Has said several times I am hot, talks to me a lot about sex and sexual interests.

Edit- my husband is home on Sunday so I plan on talking to him then.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

La Brea Carpet posted:

I [38F] think my brother in law [43M] is hitting on me?

Trump4ALABAMA

Classy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

HazCat posted:

My favourite thing about the college story is that dad could have just hired him to the family business for a couple of years and then afforded to send him to the mythical family university and everything could have been fine (objectively better, even, since the son would have had time to mourn his mum's death).

But no, our idiot culture has decided that you absolutely must start university the very second you finish high school even though there is plenty of evidence that a few gap years of working actually benefits many people, so everything had to go pearshaped instead.

What makes you think he was able to hire him at that point? Employees cost money too dude.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

What makes you think he was able to hire him at that point? Employees cost money too dude.

Look if the kid had just confidently walked in there and demanded a job and refused to leave until he was on payroll then he would have been started on his career, even if it means working as a mail clerk for a few weeks

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Darkrenown posted:

But he was hopeful enough to assume he would be able to go to [cool school] in his 2nd year, it would have been less optimistic to have him work for a few years.
I don't remember how long the FAFSA lookback is, but he may have been thinking that by that point it'd've been low enough long enough he'd qualify for aid.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Zzulu posted:

People suck

Are americans so puritan you can't even show pics of your kids anymore

Kids run around naked on beaches here. I guess in America it'd become a moral panic and people would break down over it

God drat this gimmick is getting old.

HIJK posted:

I don't want to see pictures of naked children, if that makes me a psycho Puritan that hates humanity or something than I am at peace with it. Don't flash around naked pictures of children.

Seriously I know it's popular to bag on America but in this case WHAT THE gently caress IS GOOD ABOUT SENDING A STRAIGHT UP DICK SHOT OF YOUR SON TO SOMEONE YOU JUST MET?

You guys read the story wrong too, it wasn't saying the child was naked below the waist, it was saying the child was naked, and the PICTURE was below the waist. So there wasn't anything in the picture except little boy dick and legs. No one wants or needs to see that and if you go sending stuff around like that willy nilly you'll pay the price no matter what country you're in. And yes there are naked children at the beach all the time here, it's not even close to the same thing to sending a complete stranger a close up of your son's dick.

Play fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 20, 2018